Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’m trying to not spoil myself too much but it’s good to hear positive things from other people in the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Malek Deneith posted:

Not watching this gameplay yet (limiting my exposure to campaign spoilers), but I've watched Odd play XCOM in past and he was pretty good, so I imagine he should get better in short order.

This is how I came across Odd as well and I like his LP style. Anyway, I broke down and started watching streams last night. I'm so drat hyped for this game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
We've got just under 2 weeks to go; tell us about the olden days :corsair:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Oh. Welp, don't need to buy this one now.

I feel like there’s some context, that I’m missing here

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Alright after ~100 hours I still love this game; quirks and all. I've now shifted to multiplayer but it can take a while to get a game going. What's everyone's preferred c-bill limit? I've noticed that beta players prefer 15mil any particular reason why?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

deathbagel posted:

I want an unlimited C-Bill bracket. I am a House Steiner goon through and through. Grasshopper should be the lightest mech I'm forced to field, and just because I want a nice mobile scout!

There is an unlimited bracket but I've never tried it out. I imagine it's 4x Atlases / King Crabs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I try to play without called shot and get along just fine. I'm generally rotating between 8 - 10 pilots and mechs at any given time and in multi you can't rely on it since it comes up so infrequently

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Unormal posted:

My biggest complaint isn't that the game isn't fun and good, it is; it's that it's within sight of a real masterpiece of a Battletech game you could put 2,000 hours into playing merc-tycoon, but falls a little short. Fingers crossed they can get there with expansions/sequels.

I'm hoping for some big updates over the course of the next few months as HBS seems genuinely interested in expanding the game out. They also alluded to it being a commercial success for them so I can't imagine why they wouldn't. The mod scene has been creating a lot of content since Modtek came out so either way I think we'll be fine

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
What I really want is an online lance builder so I can fiddle with c-bills all day

And Tyler Too! posted:

I have the worst luck with called shot. Every time I try to 'leg a mech I want to salvage it just gets cored anyways.

I try to go for pilot injuries when salvaging mechs, and alternating which side I'm firing at as to not destroy the mech in the process

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

And Tyler Too! posted:

With enough SRM/LRM spam I can keep a mech stunlocked until the pilot dies from all the knockdowns. Sometimes I get a lucky head hit or an ammo explosion to accelerate things.

yeah that's what I like to hear, more dakka = more fun

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
well there’s already a wealth of material and a script to follow... :homebrew:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Playing stock skirmish and multiplayer is a pretty different experience from single player. It's making me relearn how to play a bit.

Skirmish ai still isn't that tough though

Yeah multi is a whole different beast, and people are no where near as forgiving as the ai is

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Her being a liability really has to do with the fact that she’s suicidal. It wouldn’t be so bad if her mech was in addition to yours as it was on prison mission. Failing that just make her’s fully controllable for any mission that requires her

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

ulmont posted:

Luckily people also don't bring 2 full lances to your 1.

If you want to get similarly rolled try stock vs customs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

rt4 posted:

This game is rough around the edges and I want patches, goddammit

:same:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I used to think people were too hard on the Quickdraw but gently caress the Quickdraw. It can barely take more of a hit than a Shadowhawk

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is a true/false option for making standing up a free action.

That would be pretty brutal for it to cost an action. You could essentially stun lock mechs

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

It's possible it would cost just a move action, I haven't experimented

It might not be terrible if you could change facing while standing up but not move. This would change the flow of battle tho

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah it takes a stupid long time even while hosting. I’ve gone up to 15 minutes before waiting for a game

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Amechwarrior posted:

I agree and was thinking about that exact thing earlier. I wish more mod makers had a more granular approach. For those packs that just bundle a ton of mods together, getting them to work is hard enough right now. I can't imagine the extra troubles that would come with having to test every possible combination.

You hit it on the nose. If these mods were broken down more it would be easier to create your own personal favorite. We’ll eventually run into the problem of future modpaks having different versions of the same mods and causing problems that way

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
This is a very meaty patch. I’ll need to tinker around in the mech lab tonight

I think between these changes, the full inner sphere, jk variants and amechwarrior’s ai changes we might have a really scary and tough main game when combined with Ironman and those optional salvage options

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I’m really liking these patch changes. The stock AWS-8T and BL-6-KNT are much better now and it’s forcing me to really rethink some weapon combos. The mech bay tool tips sped up my mech customizations

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1009956535626170368?s=21

If you’re at all on the fence about this game it’s currently $10 on Amazon. You’ve no longer got an excuse

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Stalkerr posted:

:siren: FIRST NEW ROBOTS :siren:

The Marauder and Warhammer are out as a mod: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/266

OH gently caress :hellyeah:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
yeah a grasshopper would become even more of a beast mode melee machine

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Yeah, removing all of the weapon fire from its melee attacks would buff it, yes, good

Sorry I understood the op to mean use small lasers in both support and energy slots. Which would leave the grasshopper with 12x SL for 240 + 90 melee

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Couldn’t you do something pretty similar to that dragon with a SHD-2D? I prefer torso mounted AC/20’s since you want it to last as long as possible

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
no hatch no dice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

mp5 posted:

What should I be looking to replace the Blackjack with, in terms of chassis and loadout? Assuming that is the only major change I need to make before Panzyr.

BJ should be ok but another 55 tonner wouldn't exactly be bad either

mp5 posted:

I'm not married to any of these but I don't have many other options outside of the starter Vindicator and Blackjack. After like 300 in-game weeks I apparently haven't even figured out how to leg mechs and get more than 1 salvage out of them. I guess mech stability was a lot lower in general prior to 1.1 so you could just knock something down 3-4 times

I guess a more specific question would be "what does an actual functioning lance look like before I get any heavies/assaults?" and "which skill combinations do people generally take on their pilots?"

You have 25 rounds worth of shots of the SRM's in the Shadowhawk, that's waaaay too many. I'd go with 2 tons of ammo, less HS, and put on more armor and an energy weapon. As mentioned above the Centurion's loadout is mostly fine but move the ammo to it's legs. Hunch is pretty close to how I run it, but I only go with 2 tons of ammo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 18, 2018

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Maybe you are thinking of a part of a mech instead of a while one? Both are available to purchase at various stores

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Which would end with the Grasshopper's pilot getting bored and JJ'ing to the Locust to punch it to death

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
clanner spotted

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I was imagining a scenario where an IS commander managed to successfully get a Clan commander to bid down to their lightest mech. Then after they get ready, the IS commander mentions that their lightest is a Grasshopper

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean let’s be honest :xcom:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Yeah I’ve been playing with amechwarrior’s ai mod, with difficulty modifiers and Ironman and whew boy can the game get tense

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Phrosphor posted:

They made an annoucement yesterday that they had brought on a new artist, so something is happening. It feels really weird after how open things felt in that last run up to release with the monthly Q&A's. There has probably been a lot of shuffling going on with the Paradox takeover and also the loss of a member of staff to scandal.

I am hoping for something soon, it would be great to keep going with the Argo and Darius and co into the third succession war and beyond.

In other news I restarted my DZ_Company Commander sandbox and I am having a lot more fun, it feels really hardscrabble and slowly gearing up is great. If you do go for it I can't stress getting the first power system upgrade asap, it's a massive investment but you get so many negative events from not having it. I bought it day one of the campaign this time and I am slowly getting back into the green. From my starting mechs of:

code:
Vindicator (Great starter but PPC's are terrible in this modpack with low gunnery pilots - especially with the small movement penalties it adds), 
Cicada (the bad one with the huge engine, also turned into a total hanger queen), 
Commando, 
Urbanmech (The AC20 version! Sadly I had an AC20 ammo explosion very early and lost the gun, but it did a lot of work with 2xAC/2),
Locust (I had 3xSmall laser and a medium on this, but a bad mission meant I had to refit it and couldn't get my hands on enough replacement small lasers. I put 3xMG on and a half ton of MG ammo and it actually super overperformed.)
I now have
code:
Vindicator
Panther
Panther
Commando
Commando
Commando
And I feel that I can finally start pushing into one and a half skull missions and get my hands on some mediums!

This is from a while ago but how'd this campaign end up? Also did you mix in any other mods? I was considering starting up a new campaign and RogueTech doesn't seem quite up my alley

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
It took a long time for me to start up. I also force quit but decided to leave it and eventually it booted up alright

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Panfilo posted:

One thing I like about RogueTech is the granularity. Not every new weapon is great all the time, but most have a place. ER small lasers have amazing range for such a light weapon, but you'll run out of energy hardpoints long before tonnage becomes an issue. Light PPCs don't feel terribly heat efficient for their damage, but they only weigh 3 tons and still give the debuff to hit enemies.

I wanted to say that I’ve appreciated your thoughts on RougeTech. I’ll probably end up trying it out

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Southpaugh posted:

the more battletech they release the more battletech I'll buy.

:emptyquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I've been trying out https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/136, sandbox version, based on some feedback from other players in this thread. The balance changes are pretty well thought out and explained. This modpak seems to be based around the idea of expanding and balancing what was already there

If you do decide to try it out follow the installation instructions: https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/articles/84