Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

You have a recon team specced into piloting and tactics in light mechs with a fast medium for heavier fire support, your versatile drop team with mixed skills, and a heavy assault team for base assaults and the like.

HBS :negative:

Hopefully we'll see HBS follow the approach that Paradox's studio uses and heavily iterate on the game. If they follow a trajectory like Stellaris, where what we have now is only a glimpse of what it will be in a few years, that could be really awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Stellaris and BT both have great OSTs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is the logic behind boating with SRMs that they just get more chances to hit the head of the target?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Maybe? I'll look into it

Edit: Yes, you can!

Change:
code:
"ActivationTime" : "ConsumedByFiring",
to
code:
"ActivationTime" : "CommandAbility",
and it becomes a free action. Might want to change the description too so it doesn't say ACTION.

Edit2: Oh poo poo, lol, you can use it infinitely. Lemme look at this...

Make it cost morale?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Flipswitch posted:

I always try to cap the legs, you get 2 pieces of salvage and usually the weapons, plus it knocks enemies down and is easier to hit than the head.

I might just start doing that. If you're overly enthusiastic with knocking out the pilots you end up coring them anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm still trying to see the reason to take things like PPCs, Large Lasers, AC2s, or AC5s. Medium lasers are by far the best energy weapon, AC10s and AC20s are great for direct damage, and a lot of folks here like SRMs while l love LRM boats. So where do you use the less popular weapons? PPCs in particular seem like a challenge for me to want to put anywhere.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Libluini posted:

Never really used medium lasers, to be honest. I have them peppered as a way to eat up energy hard points and some tonnage all over my units, but they're also the first weapon I throw out if I need some extra-armor or heat sinks.

For some reason I'm mostly fighting at ranges where medium lasers can't fire, anyway. Or they have lovely to-hit values and in the few times I got to use them, half the time I have to switch them off in a turn so my main weapons can fire without overheating.

And I'm still using the AC2s of my Blackjack and use improved AC5s on my Shadowhawks to great effect. SRMs and LRMs are also something I like, so they get used. PPCs are my favorite, anyway.

Really, now that I think about it, MGs are the only weapon I don't really see the point of, since small lasers exist and don't come with explosives strapped to your mech. Everything else I found a use for. :shrug:

MGs are fantastic because they get three hit rolls for every time you shoot, which means you have a LOT of chances to hit someone in the head. They're great for seeking out crits.

AC2s and AC5s I can't seem to get into. Maybe I'm just hyper-focused on wanting to do as much damage as possible, which medium lasers excel at once you focus fire.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it just me or is the Grasshopper flat out better than the Banshee even though there's a 25 ton difference?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RBA Starblade posted:

I like how scared the Taurians were of the insanely powerful Star League mechs that missed almost every shot with their Star League weapons. :v:

I snagged me a Battlemaster out of the mission anyway though so I guess I'm good for a while.

I was all excited about the possibility of getting an assault mech and then I kept on coring them. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'd love it if salvage was a bit less arbitrary. I'm not sure how well it would work out, but I keep on coming back to the idea that unless you kill the meat a mech should require one of every component. So you'd be looking for a torso, two arms, and two legs. This is probably unnecessary micromanagement but I like the notion.

I just finished the looting mission and right now I'm running around with an Atlas, the Highlander, a JM6-A LRM boat, and an Orion with an AC-20++. The Atlas is ideally going to be my headshotter if I ever find some AC-10+, the Highlander and JM6-A provide long-range fire support and general knock-down fuckery, and the Orion is there to core things that need killing quick. I haven't had much success with ML boats like the Grasshopper; I like them but I prefer being able to knock over my opponents and headshot them.

I agree that stability damage is far, far too powerful. When I can knock down a few mechs each turn with LRM-20++ spam that's problematic.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

feedmegin posted:

Serious CRT monitors, now; remember 21" Trinitrons that you'd put your back out if you tried to lift on your own?

2001 was my freshman year of college. I had two 21" monitors, a full desktop tower, and a 5.1 sound system. I'm pretty sure my PC collectively weighed 300 pounds.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

ulmont posted:

That Highlander is destined to have its right arm blown off on the next story mission, just FYI.

Good to know. LRMs it is!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Random idea for encouraging the use of smaller mechs; tonnage limitations based on detection. Something like "the enemy has sensors all over the place and you can't insert more than 200 tons without being detected". Alternatively tonnage limits based on locations, with frozen lakes that can take small mechs but collapse if the mech is too heavy, or sand areas that small mechs can get through but large mechs can only move one hex per turn. Make it an environmental or mission challenge.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Dropships are expensive but not irreplaceable, you might be thinking of jumpships. Santiago blew up at least one dropship during the coup too.

As for the Argo, its noteworthy as a curio of past times, but its a boondoggle. Its an exploration ship in an age of war, and its a half broken shitpile that costs too much. Sure its got a overstrength company mechbay with some fancy half-working SL era automated systems, but they're constantly on the fritz and the Argo is comparable in size to a Behemoth class dropship, which can carry about 50% more commercial cargo and probably cheaper to build and operate. Militarily an Overlord dropship is far smaller and can carry over twice the mechs and is MUCH more heavily armed (and can also enter the atmosphere).

So basically its notable only for being a relic with some interesting tech that probably exists in limited examples elsewhere. Once the Helm Memory Core hits in a few years, its jury-rigged tech is no longer of any interest and is rendered nothing but an expensive white elephant.

I'd love to see HBS do a New Game+ where players have the chance to upgrade to a dropship other than the Argo. Start with a Leopard, have the chance to upgrade to a Union or Overlord, stuff like that.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I gave the gauss an honest try guys; ran 7 missions with it on a Called Shot Master. Didn't ding a single head the entire time. The dice don't favor headshots for me, so I just can't justify building around a headshot weapon.

I just had it headshot two mechs in a single mission.

One of them was another Highlander. :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Large Lasers would be more useful if excess hit percentage over 95% went to improving the chances of hitting a called shot target.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

pangstrom posted:

Yeah. I think with the Stalker I did 2xLRM20 and 2xLRM15 and medium lasers and no jumpjets. It ran a little hot. I never liked under-armoring things but maybe others could get away with it.

I did 2 LRM20s and 2 LRM15s and then the rest was ammo and armor. Works great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fhqwhgads posted:

Just played a 5 skull mission where I couldn't understand why it was 5 skulls. I was just gunning down medium after medium, with an occasional heavy. Last mech all the way in the back comes into view and it's a hundred tonner.

Now I have an Atlas. Ho Ho Ho.

Those are the best missions.

The RNG is driving me crazy. I want some+damage AC-10s and they never show up. Headshots for the headshot God.

Are there any PPCs that get over 60 damage? I haven't seen any of those either.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Do the morale bonuses from comm systems stack?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So I just went back to rescue Smithon.

Having 4 assault mechs makes that mission... really easy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is there a PPC that can do 61+ damage?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Conspiratiorist posted:

No; there's one PPC that does 60 and one that does 55.

AC/10+ (65) is the decapitation weapon you want.

Pity. A PPC+++ that did 65 damage would be wonderful, and useful.

Apparently this game REALLY wants me to have Highlanders. I now have four.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly I just want more variety in general. Plus a New Game+ mode where I can go anywhere and ignore the story.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why the gently caress does this stupid loving game keep on crashing every time I start it after the first run. I love this game but I'm getting really sick and tired of having to reset my computer every time I want to play it; is there a setting or something I need to change?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Well I can't feel too bad about that mission, now can I?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night Shade posted:

if you have an nvidia gpu, end the nvidia container processes

if not, i have no idea sorry

I do, thanks.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Triangle Shirt Factotum posted:

Ac/10 ++ for 70 dmg twin headcapper is actually legit usable.

Yup. If there's a legit way to get 3 AC/10s on something I would love to know.

Having a roughly 1/3 chance to kill anything is really satisfying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Roman Reigns posted:

Someone convince me why I shouldn’t sell or scrap my Dragon. I’ve only been on two missions with it and I’ve lost an arm in each. My only alternate heavy is a Quickdraw.

I can't think of a single reason to field a Dragon. The initiative advantage is significant; if the only reason you field a heavy is because it's a heavy then grab some 55 ton mechs instead. The Quickdraw is just as useless to me. Here are my feelings on the Battlemechs based on what I've played in the game so far, going from this list since I haven't seen some even though I'm in about 50 hours played and have four assault mechs in my current lance.

Light
Locust: Target practice.
Commando: Target practice.
Spider: Target practice.
UrbanMech: I have never seen one in the game.
Firestarter: Potentially a lot of fun from a gimmick standpoint, or shutting down mechs with flamers. Useful in early game.
Jenner: Probably the most viable Light mech.
Panther: I never really bothered with these.
Raven: I have never seen one in the game. It was cut from launch. THANKS SARNA.

Medium
Cicada: Utterly forgettable mech that I thought was a light.
Blackjack: Not much of a fan; the sooner you can get rid of it the better.
Vindicator: I never had much of a use for it.
Centurion: By far the best LRM boat. Prioritize capping one if you can since they're so useful at destabilizing opponents. I only had one and used it even when I had heavies.
Enforcer: I never had much use for it.
Hunchback: Had I gotten these earlier in the game I would have used them a lot. Both variants have a lot of offensive potential. In combat they're also a huge threat.
Trebuchet: Inferior to the Centurion.
Griffin: A real workhorse for me in the mid-game. I love maxing out armor and using them as brawlers.
Kintaro: I could never really find a use for it.
Shadow Hawk: One of the three best medium mechs (along with Griffin and Centurion). Flexible workhorse.
Wolverine: I never really used them much.

Heavy
Dragon: Utterly useless.
Quickdraw: Suffers from being the lightest possible heavy. I'd rather field a high end medium.
Catapult: Lots of potential with the missile capability. Probably the first heavy I would consider.
JagerMech: The missile variant is a great upgrade from the Centurion. Definite workhorse.
Thunderbolt: I never really bothered with them.
Cataphract: I saw exactly one in the game, which sucks because they're one of my favorite mechs in the fiction.
Grasshopper: Incredibly fast energy boat. A definite workhorse when you max out with MLs and point defense weapons.
Black Knight: I wanted to like this since I love the Knight in the fiction, but I feel it's inferior to the Grasshopper.
Orion: Fitted with an AC/20 these became my favorite mechs to field before I got a bunch of assaults.

Assault
Awesome: I never really found a use for it.
Victor: Same as the Awesome.
Zeus: Same as the Awesome.
Battlemaster: Same as the Awesome.
Stalker: The best missile boat available. Fit with 2x LRM20 and 2x LRM15 with stability mods and have fun.
Highlander: I can field an entire lance of these and would be happy. Useful as a SRM boat, or the SLDF one is great for headcapping with AC-10s with damage bonuses. Great with jump jets.
Banshee: I end up selling these. Potentially a good brawler with the right mods, but I've never found a use.
King Crab: I'll tell you once I see one.
Atlas: I love this big stompy mech. It's a huge bullet sponge but mine currently has the Gauss and an AC-10 with damage bonus. My favorite headcapper.

So basically for me I focus on Firestarters, Jenners, Centurions, Hunchbacks, Griffins, Shadow Hawks, JagerMechs, Grasshoppers, Orions, Stalkers, Highlanders, and the 100 ton mechs. I haven't had much use for anything else, and now that I'm fielding four assaults and am swimming in cash I actively focus on salvaging better gear over most mech parts.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 23, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The Raven is 100% a unique production. It was cut because it was an electronic warfare platform, in a game with no electronic warfare.

I could see that being fun for DLC.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Night10194 posted:

The Zeus is a tire fire but what's wrong with the Awesome? It always seemed just fine to me.

If there was a PPC+ that did >61 points of damage it would be a must-field for headshotting purposes. As it stands right now I just haven't found a reason to field it. If it was one of your first assaults then it would make sense, but when I got it I already had a Stalker, Atlas, and two Highlanders.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Taerkar posted:

PPCs can become a lot more useful if you let their debuff stack. Connecting with all three from an Awesome would drop the target's to-hit chance by a flat 15% (effectively 20% or more for most pilots)

For me it's all about raw damage. Debuff stacking sounds nice, but if I'm investing that amount of weight then I would rather have the potential to seek out head shots.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Headshots are such a non-factor for me; I can count on one hand how many called headshots I landed in 60 hours of play. I edited PPCs to stack the debuff up to 3 stacks and it loving ruled.

I field a bunch of Tac 10 pilots and I've had games where one pilot has headshotted three mechs. Assuming a 95% chance to hit and an 18% chance to headshot that's a roughly 1/3 chance per round.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I get that, that's why I said it's a non factor for me. I have had such horrible luck with rolls that I look for deterministic advantages, such as debuffs.

Hooray for different play styles!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Aramoro posted:

Can you do that maths one more time to show how an 18% chance turns into a 33% chance?

I forgot to mention two shots. Stupid phone posting.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
It's amazing how fielding a bunch of jump-jet equipped Highlanders and an Atlas makes a mockery of the story missions.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I thought I read that MGs get three hit rolls per shot, so they're great for seeking out head shots if you want to incapacitate a pilot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Darkrenown posted:

I ended up doing this with energy weapons:

(I also made the Slas 15 damage, the AC/2 30 damage, and edited missiles slightly)

Really the Llaser and PPC need to weigh less to be competitive, but I cannot be bothered editing stock mechs to use up the freed space so I just increased the damage a bit and said smaller lasers gets to be more weight efficient while larger ones get to be more heat efficient so they can offset the stupid weight with less heatsinks.

That makes PPCs pretty terrifying from a headshot perspective. I like it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A lot of it depends on the skill of your pilots and your opponents. As you get more experienced pilots and heavier mechs the most effective tactic revolves around called shots to destroy or disable. In those situations having a lot of firepower capable of attacking on a localized spot becomes more useful, and maximizing damage per weight is ideal. That's where having MLs and SRM-6s (especially the upgraded ones with +4 damage per missile) is useful. I also prefer to put morale boosting equipment in every head slot; between the per-round bonus and the benefits of killing targets you can maintain things in perpetuity.

At this point I'm fielding two types of mechs. Headhunters and damage dealers. Every now and then I field a LRM boat but for the most part it's Highlanders and an Atlas. I'm still figuring out the King Crab.

The Highlanders are equipped with maximum SRM-6s, medium lasers, and maximum armor and jump jets. They can quickly take out most threats (the alpha is around 316 damage). The Atlas has the Gauss cannon and AC-10+; I love finding weapons that do 61 or more points of damage due to their headcapping potential. There's nothing more satisfying in the game than seeing a brand new 100 ton mech and the immediately blowing its head off. I also field AC-20s in some situations. I bring enough ammo to fire everything at least 10 times. It's actually gotten to the point where if it's not a SRM-6, medium laser, AC-10, or AC-20 I don't even look at it.

I might mod PPCs to do 65 points of damage. I figure that would be pretty terrifying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Communist Walrus posted:

Is there ever a point to dropping payout and salvage in favor of faction rep?

I did it to quickly get rep with Steiner, otherwise no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kanos posted:

This is honestly largely just a symptom of the large energy weapons being a little bit too aggressively undertuned. If PPCs or large lasers were better and missiles were a bit less dominant, the high end energy boats would be substantially more attractive propositions.

I seriously can't think of a single use case for a large laser. At least PPCs have stability damage and their debuff to partially mitigate how inefficient they are(and PPC++s are hella broke).

Making either Large Lasers or PPCs 65 damage would make them pretty terrifying as head-hunters.