Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Can someone please explain to me the logic of the Hatchetman having a chassis quirk that subtracts damage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Speaking of which how should I kit out my Shadowhawk?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I agree that tonnage limits in general are silly. If I have 400 tons of mech to bring to a fight, why would I bring 300? Unless there's a financial or tactical motivation there's no compelling reason to do it. That said I think there are ways to make it more interesting:

1. Make the battle computer an option for scout mechs, but have it only work on medium or larger vehicles. Now you've done something that actually represents the scouting influence of a scout mech.

2. Incorporate more varied missions that actually require something other than an assault lance to complete. Right now the game compels you to bring as much firepower as possible because that "assassination" mission could easily have another EIGHT loving MECHS NOT AT ALL BITTER ABOUT THAT HBS that makes life hell. More missions that encourage a diverse range of play, such as chasing after an escaping mech/vehicle or scouting a region without being detected, would be more interesting.

3. Give the player more information about what to expect so they can tailor their force to address it instead of just assuming they'll have to murder everything with overwhelming firepower.

4. Consider adding a deployment cost, balanced out with increased payments.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koorisch posted:

Has anyone had a 4v12 yet?

I had a 4v13 assassination mission. It was bullshit.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Which is more useful; Sure Footing or Bulwark?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just had a 1.5 star base defense mission where my squad of 2 mediums and 2 lights had to tangle with four lights. While we were still taking them on two lights and two vehicles popped in on one flank, and then two lights and two mediums popped in behind us.

Suffice to say we lost.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm running into some in the new Flashpoints, but I haven't encountered it in proc-gen missions or found stuff in any stores so far.

It's pretty powerful. ECM provides indirect fire immunity and even blocks direct fire weapons because Enemy mechs under ECM "bubble" only show up as sensor contacts until one of your mechs enters the bubble which is roughly at short range. Active Probe gives up a firing turn to Sensor Lock every mech in range.

Def. worth having one of each in your lance, and Probe might be good enough to make Sensor Lock pilots obsolete.

I always looked at Sensor Lock as a gateway to Master Tactician anyway.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What mods are recommended?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I guess I never checked to see if Battletech had Steamworks integration. drat. How long will it take for these to be updated to the newest version?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Urban Conquest is fun, but the AI is REALLY dumb about putting their mechs on top of soft, easily crushed skyscrapers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BeAuMaN posted:

Seconding what was said about having to be close to the convoy above. I didn't know about the icon thing (I bet it's one of those status icons like climate, inspired, rough terrain, etc), but I ran into this earlier and the convoy split. It wasn't until I got another unit close that they went again. I wish they'd give a the convoy units an aura to make it clear how close you need to be at a glance.

Or maybe have the convoy follow each other because they're a convoy?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it really better to go for salvage, at least in the early game? In three missions I can get more than enough credits to get the parts for a medium mech.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
So is there a list of recommended mods that are updated? Vanilla isn't really keeping my attention.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

What sort of experience are you looking for vanilla+ or total revamp?

Whatever folks think is fun. I'm flexible.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Stravag posted:

If you drop a mech snd then aim shot at the head from the head side of the torso i think you can get up to 18% chance to hit the head

Is the head side of the torso the top?

EDIT: Oh, you mean when they're on the ground. Yes that sounds fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like the PPC would be a lot better if it was 60 damage, so that +damage versions of it had a chance to headshot things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the best way to do things for factions? Pick a minor one to clown on?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Organ Fiend posted:

What is your end goal? Running up the score, maximizing faction flashpoints, or role-playing?

Let's go with "having fun and wanting cool mechs and toys".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is it wrong that I would really love a career mode that doesn't use the Argo?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Patrat posted:

A career mode where you have a Union or something would be great, though difficult to implement when you by default seem to insert/extract via a leopard.

Changing the model to a Union wouldn't be hard. They already have them in the game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
COIL-L is immensely satisfying.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

CommunityEdition posted:

I call your RTS and raise you “whatever pseudo RTS/looter RPG-lite/whatever Dawn of War 2 was.”

The best game.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
A mod that gets rid of them entirely would be great.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Once I have access to the black market should I stay friends with pirates?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does anything heavier than the Marauder get the Called Shot bonus?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm struggling to imagine any scenario in which I don't bring my Marauder with two COIL-Ls. Take a pilot with the +Evasion skill and Master Called Shot and it's a 33% chance to headshot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Who should I ally with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Keltar posted:

Davions. They will be your best friend with all your UAC needs.

They don't sell UAC Ammo. It's basically LosTech.