Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So the protagonist is kimmy schmidt right. Because the villain is just ubisofted hardcore Jon Hamm from that show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah, you are extremist 20 charisma guy who creates cults or cult of personalities in every reality except the one where you turn alcoholic. He gathers the poo poo extreme of society (capitalist or randian brand capitalist) that is backlashed against by the lovely people he brought there making power plays.

I never understood the "herp derp both sides are bad though" argument. Were you looking for the good guy faction in the dystopian timelines games?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The most outright evil action of the game is the killing of a child, which is done in cold blood by a slave/servant of the ruling class-cum-revolutionary war leader.

It's actually the best part of the game, for that matter, as she's the only character who has an arc that's developed in any way, or particularly related to the setting. Comstock, by virtue of being a prophet, is basically Above It All, and most of the other side characters are incidental or just flat villains. The lady revolutionary is a product of abuse, and when the power finally shifts to her favor, she falls into temptation to behave exactly as she's been taught. It suggests that violence depicts violence into perpetuity.

...which would be really cool if this wasn't a first person shooter that has gruesome melee murder animations where I seize upon a uniformed police officer's skull and hack his face open with a buzz saw.

Bioshock Infinite is an insanely stupid game.

Its almost as if the protagonist you play isn't a good guy. Like, that's the point. Its not some "Nathan drake is a mass murderer and that clashes with the plot" thing
The plot is that who YOU are is capable of whats bolded in your stuff. That IS the point.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 25, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

How they going to shove in honeybadgers? I mean, they can just do it I guess.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"The moral of the story is violence is wrong. Now, check out how awesome all this violence is!"

But none of my choices matter. Even if I don't rip people's faces off, I still have to murder massive amounts of people, and it doesn't matter at all if I am merciful incidentally to some.

Why is choice that matters suddenly important in this game? It didnt matter in Bioshock unless you think "murder a child" vs "save a child" gave you a satisfying amount of choice. Also the moral isn't "violence is wrong"

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 25, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bioshock's "morality system" was a major marketing point and was heavily hyped leading up to its release. It was certainly intended to be a big deal, even if the choice is actually heavily stacked in favor of one over the other...kind of obviously.

Infinite decided to improve the flawed moral choice system by taking it out entirely.

The moral "violence is wrong" applies to the leader of the Vox's story arc specifically. Daisy. It's an incongruous message given the gameplay, like...pretty much all the other ones are.

Taking out binary choice morality systems is a 100% improvement.

Doomguy responding to demon violence with more violence is incongruous. He see's that violence is bad. Why does he engage with it? It doesn't make sense.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It does look like they have a lot more distinctly designed villians. Hopefully its not just one main antagonist they expect to drive the plot.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

nm, should probably talk about Far Cry. I hope I can ride a bear.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Tumble posted:

if this game lets me be the foreign menace that rednecks fear it will be GOTY

of course they're going to remove all pretenses of Liberal/Conservative partisanship and make the bad guys whacko cultists, but I'll probably play the game and ignore that, and just fantasize about killing right-wingers

worse/better. rumor is black dude

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Fushigi Yuugi fansub posted:

ha, knew it. they're going for maximum sensationalism and free press coverage

I hope so.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I heard black cop. Who knows though.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Caufman posted:

Anyone whose been the the Himalayan region will tell you of course it's real

They are also just stuffed with endangered rhinos.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Flubby posted:

I can't wait to hunt Americans with a compound bow.

:same: shoots self in face.

Chinatown posted:

*penis & balls size slider all the way up in character config*

:grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Q1acNbgiA&t=224s

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

For as cliche as towers and icon salad open world games got as a result of 3. Its my great shame that I like every far cry. I will get this and shoot every mountain mans.

I hope they bring something new to the table. But ill take more of the same to the dirty consumer whore I am.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I would not be surprised if "so much for the tolerant le...." Stab to the brain. Was the climax fight. With Jon Hamm.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Middle eastern women gonna blow people up!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

No balls to just have them waving a cross. Gotta be a weird rear end symbol.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Im the goon trying to find meaning or social commentary in a Far Cry game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Kopijeger posted:

Come to think of it, the only way the premise could possibly work (armed cult kidnaps unwilling citizens from US town, does not get supressed by FBI/National Guard in return) is if society has already broken down to the extent that there is no state or federal authority ready to intervene.

We turned of the cell phone towers, the nearest town is real far. If we see you leave the area we will kill the hostages. Probabaly not 100% realistic, but enough to buy into for the game.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what is the loving through-line with these games anyhow beyond "hey here's generic first-person shooter please enjoy."

They are related like final fantasies are relate. so not. Beyond gameplay and themes

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

ooooh so the purple hair femmey guy gets recast as a different villain in each one?

Pagan Min was a literal anime villain yeah.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah gently caress the crafting. Makes me spend an hour or so upgrading everything. I cant just play and hunt when I see stuff. I don't want just 1 weapon slot, are you kdding me?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The recent Far Cry games are not really known for serious realism and believability at all times.

yeah.

The series started with Island of Dr Munroe monsters with rocket launchers strapped to them. Literally.

2 got serious.

3 was frat boy becomes batman

4 was batman with helicopters

Blood dragon happened.

There was 1 point where things got sort of realistic or close to believable. Why do people expect this series to do things it doesn't do?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Maya Fey posted:

jonathan mcintosh's shtick is to react to every single game that gets attention and cry about it. if tetris came out today he's be whining about the destructive power of the phallic 4x1 as it penetrates rows of pieces to erase them

Go on...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

big nipples big life posted:

Ubisoft is really good at making Ubisoft games, if you like to clean all the icons off a huge map then you will probably enjoy most everything they've made since 2008. If that sounds like the worst poo poo ever then you will not.

Naw. If you arent ocd and can not care about clearing them off the map its fun too.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yeah it looks awesome from every preview. Everything from the first game is still there. With improvements actual battles where you set up your army beforehand. The rune system turned into a loot system. It all looks super cool.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 26, 2017

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

WatermelonGun posted:

Shadow of Mordor's flagrant disregard for canon was the tightest poo poo ever

:same: and this one seems to start forging a new One ring of power so get read for more

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mordja posted:

It's got Orcs building brick factories and grenades, game will own.

Theres a magic orc tribe a mechanical (steamlink?) Tribe.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

its pretty good. bought the remaster and it still holds up. i loving hate gearbox for publishing it though. they are loving poo poo eaters to the core and they know people hate them so they basicaly said they only way we could get a sequel from people can fly is if we bought the remaster or some poo poo. then they pasted duke nukem skin on and called it a day.

My nostalgia for old half-life expansions buts up against lovely reality every time I see the name Gearbox. Everything turns to poo poo eventually I guess. (not far cry, gonna kill whitie)[Im also whitie]{still gonna kill whitie}

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

a bone to pick posted:

I think any divergence from their usual formula was going to sell well, 3 and 4 were carbon copies of the same game to me and with all the games that have been copying far cry, they definitely needed to try something new.

Going back to 3 after 4 is rough. You dont get stuff Id consider basic like the wingsuit til way WAY late in the game.

4 Gives you all the toys up front and is very good for that. Its a continuation of 3 rather then a copy. with a minicopter.

• Locked thread