Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Anyone have a link to samwell.mp3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Didn't Arya very specifically give her magic metal dagger to Sansa?

Who gives a gently caress.

Salsa Stark probably left it in the bathroom or something.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Amazing battle tactics of charging dense zombie horde and they are basically knock-off mongols with zero body armor.

What a dumb rear end fantasy culture since just about every steppe horseman culture was smart enough to have armor.

They were typically also big on being able to see and know where their enemies were before attacking them. In fact you can probably place most armies in this camp.

Jesus Christ this episode was a stupid piece of contrived garbage.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

loving Dothraki should have just gone home. Jesus Christ.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

uber_stoat posted:

follow dumbfuck yass kween to the rear end end of the world only to have it end it like that. what a rotten deal.

haha

https://twitter.com/ZakKondratenko/status/1122990853256024065?s=20

That wasn't all of the dothraki in the world was it? Wasn't it just the ones who were stupid enough to follow Danny after Drogo died?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also seems to me like the night king was really stupid. If he had decided not to do stuff on the frontlines defeat would have been almost literally impossible and his forces would have taken effectively zero casualties as they show that he can just raise everyone again if he wants to.

I guess killing Bran might have been important for some reason, but gently caress, one of his Walker friends could have done that, the zombies could have done that.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 30, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Lavender posted:

Naw, most of them died on the way to Qarth. She went back later and started a big yurt fire, and get a bunch of new ones.

Still, those weren't all the dothraki? And following her is stupid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wait. Jon just sent his priceless dire wolf along to die with the dothraki for no reason?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The White Walkers were scotsmen who invaded and seemed to be threatening the realm, but then fell apart when their king was killed while fighting some yorkshiremen.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wait is the reason people are calling Dorne the bad pussy place (or something like that) that someone actually said "bad pussy" as a line of dialogue in the show?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

Pepperidge Farms remembers :what:

Why the gently caress are they shooting their bows like that? Was this in the show.

mike12345 posted:

come on man, that's like the most important episode

I stopped watching the show years ago. I just tuned in to watch the latest episode with a couple of friends who still watch it. It was really bad, almost fascinatingly so.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Tbf I didn't know this until I watched some YouTube critiques this week. One of the Dorne girls tells someone, "you want a good girl, but you need the bad pussy." Then she bites his ear.

Whoever wrote that and didn't intend it as a joke should be ashamed.

Bad pussy is what gives you throat cancer

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Shooting their bows like that is how the Mongolians conquered half the world.

I don't think the Mongolians knelt untop of their saddles like they were doing some sort of trick on a surfboard. A trick which completely negating the advantages of not only their stirrups (which were specifically invented by steppe peoples to aid in horse archery) but their saddles as well, rendering them extremely vulnerable to being thrown off their horses.

So you are wrong. And I have a hard time imagining how it seemed I was not commenting on the avove and instead was baffled that horse archery (which was not invented by the Mongols) exists.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

You just choose the option to unleash your dragon from the intrigue menu and the enemy army melts away, it's pretty simple actually.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wasn't it a three eyed crow in the books?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Alot of people who make movies dont understand or never bothered to try to understand that bows work different from guns and are much more difficult to use.

It's pretty much been accepted as correct over the years due to how many times it's been said, but you also don't 'fire' a bow.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There were alot of different types of crossbows around. Many weren't even close to being so complicated and reloading them was just a matter of manually pulling back the bowstring to the hook (which would take just as long/short a time as with a normal bow really). They wouldn't necessarily be much more powerful than a bow either, though you can make very strong crossbows by using stirrups and winches and such to enable use of a bow you couldn't really draw manually. Though ultimately that isn't really the point of a crossbow or their greatest strength (and those really powerful ones didn't really begin to show up until the 1300s-1400s in any case), which is simply that compared to a bow they are exceedingly easy to use and that a man doesn't have to spend years training with one to acquire the proper strength and physique to be able to effectively use one powerful enough for war. You could probably teach a man to be an effective enough soldier with a crossbow in a matter of days, which is probably why it was such a popular weapon with mercenaries.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 6, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

there's plenty of legit gripes to have about this show but accurate depiction of crossbow operation is definitely not one of them

Accurate depiction of crossbows aside, using wwhat's essentially a single shot weapon that requires a considerable and awkward reload time to give a warning shot is exceedingly stupid. It would make sense with a gun which can be fired again simply by pulling a trigger, but these guys don't really have guns do they and writing it into your medieval show without giving thought to how it makes no sense is really stupid and terrible writing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

this can't be a serious post

Why not? Isn't that what happened in the show?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The plot doesn't work if everyone involved isn't an idiot.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So how old is Khaleesi now

Older than in the books probably. That's a largely good change they did from the books for the series from day one, and that is make most of the characters a little bit older than in the books. It was probably mostly done for convenience, but I'm grateful for it in any case. In the books Danaerys is 13 or something when she's married off and the early scenes with her are just astoundingly creepy to read.

I kind of hate the fact that the books kind of give you the impression that this was perfectly normal in past societies, when it actually wasn't, even in the Middle Ages girls weren't frequently married off immediately upon turning 13 or 14 or having their first period (though it should be noted that happened in other times and societies in history, notably in ancient Rome, where women were quickly married out of the family upon reaching maturity). In fact it seems more like the norm was, even for noble families, to marry in your early twenties and typically to someone pretty close to you in age (disparities and exceptions of course happened). I think there's even a theory that due to widespread malnutrition in medieval society, even amongst the aristocracy, people typically even entered puberty later in life than is the case in the modern era.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Dude it was a joke with the guy I was quoting, that he had named his kid Khaleesi because his wife still enjoys this bad show.

Sure. I just took it as an excuse to go on a little rant.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I mean Cercei is going to try to blow up the city, right? They've already mentioned several times in past seasons that there's wildfire buried all over the place, Tyrion and Cercei know this from having worked with the pyromancers and Jaime knows it because that's why he killed the Mad King in the first place, and there's a scene where he tells Brienne about it.

Though I guess having poo poo pay off in some way isn't how DnD like to roll.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lil Peeler posted:

Jokes on you, I only paid attention to the first three seasons :smug:

Yeah I'm at the same place as you. Though I started paying a bit of attention again now after hearing the newest stuff was absolute trash and seeing episode 3.

Joffrey died in Season 3 right? I checked out sometime in the season following that. Joffrey was fantastic and everything after has been terrible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Why does Denerys feel the need to make enemies of everyone at every turn? Why does she bother to have advisors? Why doesn't she want to marry Jon? Why does Jon send Ghost north with Tormund? Is he a bad fighter now? Didn't he survive the Battle of Winterfell? Did they run out of dog handler money?

Why do they split their forces? Why not wait until Asha can join their fleet? Why do they let Euron's fleet ambush them for a 3rd time? Why does Danerys even go with the fleet? Why not send the Dragons with the land army and impress people along the way, who might then join her? Why not give Jon a Dragon, if not to ride then just to fly with them in case they get ambushed? Why didn't Urine finish off Danerys's fleet? Why didn't he take over Dragonstone and capture literally everyone except maybe Danerys?

Why didn't Cersei kill Tyrion? She already hired an assassin to kill him, does she feel like she needs to get her money's worth out of Bronn? Did she not want to waste the arrows? Was she worried about hitting Qyburn? Why does Danerys park Drogon within range of all Cersei's ballistas? Why does Cersei refrain from killing Drogon? Why are they in a desert?

Whyyyyyyyyy?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Just a reminder that D&D have known the ending since pre-production on season 1, Mad Queen Dany is in the books being crazy from the start, and the vision she had in the House of the Undying on the show was a King's Landing destroyed by fire with snow on the throne and her joining her one true love, Khal Drogo, in the night lands.

Also remembered a thing they had in the first season, they had the scene where Illyrio (the guy who gives Dany her dragon eggs and sells her to Drogo) and Varys are scheming below the castle and Arya overhears them. In the end end that kind of just became a pointless scene, because they pretty much entirely cut out Illyrio's (and I assume Varys's because they seem to be partners) entire scheme from the show with young Griff/Aegon and that stuff, and I assume they've also pretty much cut out Illyrio all together.

They kept the Golden Company around but gave to Cercei because they thought the name sounded cool.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wasabi the J posted:

I don't want to get in trouble but there's still a possibility that the golden company could still have a Targaryen payoff.

I mean, sure they could. They could just turn on Cercei, that's about what passes for clever with this show anyway.

The Varys and Illyrio plotting thing is probably not the only case of scenes that seem to be setup for future payoff not really having any payoff. When they were adapting the books they probably kept some of that stuff just because they kind of liked the scenes and then when they later cut most of the stuff those scenes were the setup for (and when they started doing their own poo poo based off the napkin notes gurm gave them) they'd probably forgotten all about having included those initial setup scenes in the first place anyway.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

When Varys and Tyrion are talking, and Tyrion mentions that Jon & Dany marrying and ruling together would work, Varys is like "do you really think the north would allow an incestuous relationship to rule?"

Didn't like, a dozen generations of Starks hold the title of Warden of the North under a dozen generations of incestuous Targaryens? Why would they suddenly give a poo poo now?

I mean the Starks pretty much allowed the Boltons, who are creepy skin bandits and (possibly vampires) to rule a large part of their territory for hundreds or thousands of years. I don't think they really give much of a gently caress about anything anyone else does as long as they don't do anything directly against the Starks themselves, which the Targaryens with the whole "kidnapping" Lyanna and mad king murdering the Stark lord and his heir when they came down to ask what the gently caress was up with that whole "kidnapping" business.

Oh, they also don't like it when Ser Friendzone sells criminals as slaves so he can continue bribing his out-of-his-league wife to not leave him (I think that's his backstory for being exiled in the show as well right?).

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 8, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A Handed Missus posted:

our boy Illyrio could come to Dragonstone with 69 more dragon eggs and with the current pacing the dragons would be full grown within five minutes

This is a possibility. That or he's never seen again. 50/50 really.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Daario was a Second Sons mercenary.

Golden Company are the Iron Bank's mercenaries.

That's in the show right? I think in the books they are more a bunch of exiles and poo poo who historically tended to fight for the cause of Targaryen bastards and pretenders, which is how they fit in with young Griff/Aegon (also there's probably a relation of either Varys or Illyrio or both to the Targaryen bastards/pretenders and why they are so interested in all this crap).

Again makes sense that they changed them to be the bank's private army in the show, because they cut out everything around them and why they do what they do (or what they are going to do if gurm ever finishes another book). They had to be given some motivation in the show because they decided to keep them around because the showrunners liked the name.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe if they're clever they could do this and save on the CGI budget by just making it like that show Wilfred, and have Ghost just be played by a guy in a bad wolf costume who talks to Kristoffer Hivju, but everyone else reacts to it like it's a dire wolf doing dire wolf things and sounding like a dire wolf (except you always just see a guy in a wolf costume).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So, a corgy in a bad wolf costume voiced by Norm Macdonald?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

There's like 0 chance those guys didn't take everything that wasn't nailed down and skip town the minute she left.

Dany is the worst. That's kind of the point, but both the writing and Emilia Clarke are terrible (though after seeing her react to that interviewer's question I can forgive her for being a bad actress)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Should have just cut Dorne out entirely and instead brought on the guy who played Titus Pullo to play Victarion Greyjoy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Yolomon Wayne posted:

OK you know what?
My money is on "Varys gets to sit on the iron throne"
After watching some playlists on characters to get me through the workday, im utterly convinced hes the best "man" for the job. Hes the only one who cares about people, and not a name, a house, wealth or title.
He just honestly wants ordinary peole not to be miserable.

So the best possible outcome of this whole mess would be everyone dying and him becoming king by rights of "last one standing" or something.

Which is, of course, not going to happen.

Apart from the Merman theories there's also a theory that Varys is in some way a Targaryen himself.

Then again, according to theories, everyone is. In that theory that's how he knows everything about getting around the Red Keep, why he shaves his head, and also why he's so invested, together with Illyrio (who's probably also, according to theories, related to the Targs somehow, or his dead wife was, can't quite remember), in getting a Targaryen on the throne (he abandoned a pretty good swindle over in Essos to go to King's Landing for *some* reason).

Then again he'll probably just die anyway. I think one of the spoilers says Dany is going to execute him. I mean they already kind of cut out his and Illyrio's whole scheme with young Griff and the Golden Company (yes, they are still in, but pretty much in name only), so really he doesn't really have much plot stuff to do any more except stand around and say cryptic poo poo.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Doctor Faustine posted:

I just watched The Terror over the weekend and it made me very mad how much GoT totally wasted Tobias Menzies. He totally owns and they gave him a dumb flop like Edmure to play.

He was good as Brutus in Rome.

Rome was a really good show. HBO are stupid.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

poverty goat posted:

stay tuned for a real shitshow in westworld, since their whole set burned down

Didn't that show turn to poo poo immediately in season 2?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The end of the Dothraki? It didn't really look like there were more than a couple of thousand in that charge at most. I mean Drogo was supposed to have 50 000 warriors alone (which probably puts his entire following, with women and children, at some 200-300 000), he was powerful to be sure, but it's clearly stated that there were many more hordes out there.

One figures there would at least be several hundred thousand to a couple of million of them in all. Though you never should underestimate how stupid the people writing this have gotten and how little thought they give to what they write.

etalian posted:

He got fired since he had the gall to ask slightly more money per episode.

He deserved more money. He was perfect for the part.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Was that really a show only scene? gently caress man I’ve retconned heaps of show stuff into the book bc it was so good, I remember doing a reread and being really thrown by the Arya/Roose stuff bc I’d inserted Tywin in my memory

It's in the book. But it's Sam's father not Tywin. We get the story shortly after Sam arrives. He's skinning the deler while threatening Sam with a hunting accident unless he leaves for the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

DoctorGonzo posted:

the loving retarded history of mgsv was all on kojima

MGSV suffered from lack of David Hayter (Solid Snake being a weirdo who talks alot is alot of what's good about the series) a story that you mostly just forgot about and most prominently only having the two areas/environments, they needed a third one that was distinct from the other two. The engine and gameplay were fantastic.