Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ROFLburger posted:

bring back Ian McShane imo
openly contemptuous McShane reading plot summaries from the back of GRRM's Hooters receipts for all of season 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

George rr martin has been openly slapping Death in the face with stuffed crust pizzas for years, while young healthy people get brain bleeds for no reason. this world is so much more hosed up than Westeros.
e:

quote:

On the set, I didn’t miss a beat, but I struggled. Season 2 would be my worst. I didn’t know what Daenerys was doing. If I am truly being honest, every minute of every day I thought I was going to die.
those WHERE MY DRAGONS memes took a dark turn. :smith:

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Mar 22, 2019

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Oh yeah I definitely saw something like:

Just saw a spoiler for Season 4's ending but I'm not mad because it's way too stupid to be a real one. Nice try, not ruining the show for me!
shout out to the people who paid to change their names to BrienneGetsHanged and CatelynIsAZombie in an attempt to replicate that.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Salty Josh posted:

Am I the only one who liked Ramsay Bolton?
fantastic casting, the 'theon in a room being tortured for a whole season' introduction was a bad start tho.

but in the end book Ramsay is just a rapeflay machine, so the best thing he could've been was an entertaining psycho and we got that

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

There's a goon-written novel on pretty much this subject. A song of Ice and Fire 40k, I think it was?
I

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

LOOK AT MY rear end AND TITS is much more saleable than LOOK AT MY I, CLAUDIUS IN MIDDLE EARTH FANFIC tbh. given how big they made this unsaleable show I can't even fault em.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

You're overthinking it. Bran warged into the series and made it retarded.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

CarpenterWalrus posted:

Dudes bitching about Ed Sheeran appearing in Game of Thrones are the same class of person who bitches about invincible children in Bethesda games.
Bethesda games always had invincible children, GoT was not always a pile of sick.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

You know what? I'm just going to say it:

The show got bad about when the books did.
Storm of Swords was a fuckin hard act to follow, but at least the later books feel like we're in the same universe.

poverty goat posted:

If only someone had killed all the kids in game of thrones a few years ago the show would be much better now
kill Jon and Dany if you want to redeem the story.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ice spiders are too interesting, you get an undead ice-breathing dragon because this show needs castoff WoW bosses.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

the author's treatment of Lollys is despicable, but somehow his treatment of Falyse is loving hilarious.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

I never thought this series wuld devolve into arya stark playing left 4 dead. :golfclap:

ElGroucho posted:

People are syked because their favorite anime character killed the NK, but it doesn't make any thematic sense. Arya doesn't give a gently caress about the white walkers, she barely found out about that poo poo like 2 episodes ago. It makes more sense for literally anyone else to kill him.

Sansa should have been the one to sacrifice herself to kill him, that would have been a really good moment for her. A D level player like Dolorius Ed could have done the deed and it would have made more sense.
nobody has beef with Darth Maul. he's there to be a bossfight.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

This is good. The only thing I would add is having Howland Reed show up at the end and give Arya a smile and thumbs up after she stabs the NK in the back. :v:

Also:
lmao do they think GRRM had that attitude when he wrote the books that are the source of 100% of their success?

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Honestly, Team Cersei now

Everyone else is a complete idiot

So she merked a bunch of religious upperclass people, she sounds like a real friend of the proletariat to me, tbh
Dany gets to be a pop feminist icon, when it's Good Queen Cersei who loving obliterated the patriarchy with magic napalm. smh

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

This was a fuckin great episode that suffered from not being set up properly by other, shittier episodes.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

it was really goofy when the dragon's face just comes out of the shadows before roasting Varys though
they contrived that whole scene for that shot then dragged their feet getting there lol. waiting for that fucker to loom was distracting.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

They're going to do the Dunk and Egg spinoff series, but its going to be Brienne and Pod in their place since they're familiar characters.
she took up Dunk's shield & heraldry in the books so this is a guarantee.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

rap music posted:

can we stop talking about the books since they have been irrelevant for quite some time thank you
Lmao this show stands without the books now less than ever. the entire last episode only makes sense with reference to the books.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

sweet thursday posted:

A good example of 'show and don't say': everyone spending half this season talking about how he's the cleverest cleverman who has ever made thoughts, and yet pretty much everything he has done in the last few episodes has hosed up in some big way
Writing tyrion is completely beyond them and they know it. Really should've killed the little guy off back when it would've been surprising.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

BioMe posted:

But to give the benefit of the doubt to their future projects, DnD clearly just don't give a gently caress about GoT anymore. The last season was just unapologetic schlock and I can't believe people missed it.
to be fair, the episode where the fellowship of directionless characters teams up for a beyond the wall day trip did finally ring people's alarm bells.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

i like Jon alright but calling him a character is a stretch.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Burns posted:

I cant rewmber but Does arya actually kill anyone on her kill list in the book??
Teryn Mant.

e: aw gently caress that's someone else in the book.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

The online petition was around 150k yesterday. Now it's around 450k.

HBO done hosed up. I wouldn't be surprised if it hits a million by Sunday.
facebook mom traction is a powerful thing.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

That sounds better than I expected :unsmith:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

mike12345 posted:

lol please write what you did expect
i genuinely thought going into S8 that we were headed for a Dany & Jon happy marriage fanfic ending.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

YaketySass posted:

The ending of the series will be Bran getting up from his wheelchair and smiling at the camera.
loving faker. they should call it Welfare King's Landing.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

he badly wanted to yerk aerys anyway though.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

They should've focused on an ordinary family in Kings Landing from the start of this season (or even the previous one), just give them a few scenes with only tangential connections to the big players. That way we'd have some clearer idea of what was going on and what life was like. Basically: like Rome

And then show them getting roasted in episode 5.
at least this would annoy and bore the audience enough to make the roasting welcome.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

bradzilla posted:

Normies are terminally online weirdos in 2019. It's not 1999 anymore grampa
this. people who have lived behind a computer since pre-9/11 genuinely conduct themselves better on the internet than ordinary people lol.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Prawned posted:

You know how you start reading a post, then you're like two lines in and go "who the gently caress is writing this dumb poo poo", then you actually look at the poster's name and go oooohhhh.
i don't know who PT is, but if he prefers a hole in the floor to the real moon door he should have been permad loving years ago

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

There may be legitimate problems with the show but I really wish people would stop complaining about travel times over long distances. Try being a modern audience and understand the implied passage of time.
every film and TV show gets a huge amount of leeway with this, it only even becomes a complaint when you do it often and dumb enough that enough casual viewers are bothered by it (3 seasons ago). there is also no passage of time implied by anything other than these retarded distances not mattering.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Drunken Baker posted:

Bad show with bad writing produces bad think pieces on bad website twitter

https://twitter.com/thelindsayellis/status/1130543549311623168
i was gonna defend this because she's right that it's a dumb cliche that's probably sexist if you think about it, but in context that is some marysue.com poo poo.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Randarkman posted:

I mean that's a pretty good plot. In that last episode sweet Robin seemed pretty healthy so Salsa should just marry him. I mean, why not? Wasn't that what her character was supposed to have become? That she's scheming and wants power.

e: Also it was really stupid how the Iron Islands and Dorne at the very least did not immediately also secede when Bran just said "sure, why not" to the North leaving.
those two nations have been through the poo poo recently and Iron Islands at least ended up with a peacemaker ruler. northerners came out on top & throughout the show have had a retarded hard on for seceding (instead of say, backing rightful king mannis).

much like the real brexit only one realm is stupid enough :eng101:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Barudak posted:

Official word from GRRM is that they are the exact same as our years and how that works is not relevant.
i was going to give grrm props for knowing what actually matters in a story, then i remembered lemoncakes.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

“Defeat the big bad guy and all his minions fall apart” is also practically every marvel movie
I don't think i've seen any movie invent a bad guy character for the singular purpose of being shanked so his more threatening minions can die though.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

bring back old gbs posted:

p sure this was the bad guy from justice league, as soon as the main bad guy lost control of his minions they all swarmed and ate him lol
I saw this poo poo and it was still better than NK's death. a good ol fashioned villain meltdown + minion betrayal. would definitely pass muster in a Power Rangers movie.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

oh no a life of cashing in and ginger muff

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

MustardFacial posted:

Serious question: As a non-book reader who was dissatisfied with the final seasons and hated 8, I've decided to read the books. I've read a number of people here and elsewhere say that season 1 is basically the first book. So keeping that in mind would it be safe to just start with book 2? Or is there still a bunch of stuff in the first book that isn't at all shown in season 1?
the plot events aint much different, but there's plenty of poo poo you don't get in the show theme/detail/characterization wise (& the non-retarded version of Littlefinger).

Moridin920 posted:

Under the sea, no one can hear you scream, I know I know oh oh oh...

(some leaps in logic there and idk what some of those points have to do with others but it is a repost and not mine)
Deep Ones are Official Ice and Fire Canon (tm) now. gurm is going to avoid the hated show ending by ripping off this post. :pray:

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

"This guy's great, let's overuse the gently caress out of him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

Some broke brained right winger is trying to say some liberal bozo is a pervert because he watches GoT (true), but he's doing it to defend Trump, who would never consort with adult entertainment types.
god drat. we would easily have cracked 3hrs if the lovely seasons had kept up with the good ones. :(