Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'm ashamed to admit, I benched Tita for a long time even after this door, so I didn't really get the full value of Orbal Gear.

Not that I think that would have changed my later teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Overdosing Heavenly Bliss is absolutely a top tier song. It's not my personal favorite from the game, but it's a drat good piece of music.

Estelle's great, but I agree with Rabbi. Now that she's not mandatory, her shortcomings are a lot more apparent. I still used her for a big chunk of the game, because she's the real protagonist and because I'm sentimental.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Anyone who played through this door and didn't immediately pick the "...let's check for sneakers"-option deserved to have an instant game-over right there on the spot.
It's the only correct choice.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

If I know my Crossbell games right, this is how those two end up helping out Lloyd, Elie, Tio and Randy in Zero, correct? Doing Bracer work abroad, as well as... something else that's an Ao spoiler?

Noooot quite. They actually go to Erebonia first, which is covered in a manga called Ring of Judgment.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Explosions posted:

(Speaking of ladies whose guys took their name, I just binged this thread, and the fact that you guys hate Success Dancin', Mad Sciencin', Wile Coyotin' Erika Russell but love friggin' Lechter means that you have brain diseases. Is he, like, really good in the later games? Maybe by being completely different and not the worst?)

Um, excuse me, I think Erika is great and Lechter is really annoying.

Lechter's fine in Cold Steel, but that's because he's barely there. Seriously, he's has about 5 scenes between the two games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

AncientSpark posted:

Re: Lechter

Having played the faulty/leaked/super-beta-might-as-well-be-alpha version of the Zero translation, I actually liked Lechter a fair bit in Zero. It's probably in context, though.

Is it worth trying to play that or should I wait for someone to eventually make a decent version?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Richard! :swoon:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

At some point, I should go back and actually read Gambler Jack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RegalStar posted:

Outside of Josette's shooting gallery, none of the other sun doors have much significance to them anyways, so yeah for the most part this door just... exists.

Sun Doors 2 and 3 are pretty relevant, I'd say. Sun Door 2 is more Estelle fishing development, which is a thread that started in FC. Sun Door 3 is another tournament, which SC was sorely lacking.

That said, I agree that apart from Jack being in the novel, this door is super irrelevant.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

PLOT TIME

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

And with that, the groundwork for Trails of Cold Steel is officially laid.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

The Monochrome Schoolhouse is just kind of a slog, but the Old Schoolhouse part is great and I remember that 50K mira door being pretty good.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You can also check out my LP and watch me and my two buddies stumble our way through the game.

The LP's briefly on hiatus, but we should be back on track towards the end of the month.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Oh wow, I totally forgot that this was that door. I agree, it wasn't a great door, except that Anelace owns and she and Maybelle played off each other beautifully.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I wonder if Part II will be in the Crossbell games.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I just finished the first door (Orbal Gear Project 1). Hooolllllyyy crap, the cutscenes are so looooonnnngggggg.

Moon Doors are ridiculously long. The Star Doors are much shorter.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

- That Salt Pale event is freaky as hell. People in the world seem very upbeat for normal people living in a world where a giant Apocalypse Object can just appear out of nowhere one day for no reason, kill half the population and lay half a small country to waste and no one has any idea why it happened and can't say that it won't happen again. And no "cable news hasn't been invented yet" isn't an excuse. Stories like that are the kind of thing that get spread around everywhere.

Yeah, that's one of the best doors in the game for sheer :stare: value.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, this Door is super surreal and it's not really obvious whether the events actually happened or not.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Make that 4 games down the line. Apparantly, during the final hidden sidequest in Cold Steel II, while accompanying you-know-who to buy a present for his latest hopeless crush, you can talk to one of the merchants in the bazar in the auditorium and the item that gets offered is apparantly a happiness stone.

:stare: I'll have to double check that.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Yeah, the odd numbered chapters are all quite short and the even numbered chapters are a lot longer.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Even the Aureole has a scientific explanation (hell, we just got more info on it) and Ragnard is relatively minor. I just don't feel like the story fits in very well. Unless Luciola targeted that girl for some reason.

I dunno, I feel like Ragnard, the Salt Pale and the other things fall under Clarke's famous third law, "any sufficient advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Like, orbments are definitely technology, but they're also so far ahead of everything else that they're basically magic.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Estelle and Zin for all four.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Since this is also Aina's story, something I've wondered about guild receptionists is that most are so young. You would expect that they would mostly be older, retired bracers who are a little too old for field work, but still want to be a part of the guild. I guess maybe some are, but most seem to be young. Which seems a little odd, because I don't think that they were ever combat-trained bracers, but they're judging the potential dangers and final results of bracers missions. What kind of training do they get to be able to understand that if they've never done missions themselves?

You mean like Lugran?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Okay... I think you're going to want some people who are really fast, can take a bit of punishment, and equip any physical attacker with anti-blind and any casters with anti-sleep protection. I hate to think what the Nightmare arena will be like.

Even if you can't guess what the final fight is, you won't actually be surprised.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Junpei posted:

For the curious, Walter is Strength, Luciola is the Lovers, Loewe was High Priestess and... uh, dammit, the green-haired suit wearing kid is The Fool.

And, as of promotional materials for CS3, Magician, Hermit, and the Star are taken as well.

Campanella.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Sylpharion Wing

To this day, through five playthroughs of Sky games, I don't think I've EVER cast this spell.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I guess I found that a Move 3 Quartz pushing my Mov stat into double digits was usually more than enough mobility.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

1) Agate and Tita
2) Julia and Renne
3) Kloe and Schera
4) EVERYONE

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Holy crap, I just read all the dialogue. Renne has three doctorates?! She's 12!!

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That sounds an AWFUL lot like what happened to Liberl. It makes you wonder if Orobous had a hand in those problems as well. It probably makes sense… I can easily see Osborne making a deal with Oroborous for aid in destabilizing several countries, making them ripe for annexation, in exchange for the resources and support necessary to do things like construct the Glorious (although I’m not sure if they told him exactly what they were building. I don’t quite see Osborne trusting them enough to let them build a flying battleship.)

Cold Steel has some very specific things to say about this, especially in Chapter 6.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

Indeed, the dots are there to connect. I've got my own speculation, but I'll wait for the (hopefully) inevitable CS1 SSLP to mention it.

I'm working (slowly) on a VLP of the game. I got derailed by one of my commentators leaving the country and CSPC coming out.

We should be able to start recording within a week or so.

And yeah, that cliffhanger is brutal.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Excuse me, Richard gets both the Super Gladiator Belt and the Divine Blade Emblem.

Can you (and Erpy as well) please not post untagged spoilers for Trails of Cold Steel in the Trails in the Sky LP?

I'm going to second this.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I had to independently confirm that claim about "boom goes the dynamite" and it's true. :stare:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I want to talk with the localization team and get the rationale for that quote, because it's 100% not what he says in Japanese and that decision was made 7 years ago.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

1) Josette and Richard
2) Renne and Zin
3) Renne and Estelle

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Brutal is super hard, because it's really really obscure details. I think I needed about a dozen tries to get through it. Maniac was (for me) way easier, because most of the questions are about the soundtrack and I already knew all the song names.

I personally disagree about the SC Time Gem. I missed it on my first playthrough, but on my second, I picked it up and put it on Kloe. Since she naturally has super high ATS and a Sapphire Gem counteracts the Time Gem reductions, she can insta-cast nearly full power arts - or at least, more powerful arts that almost anyone else. I'm sure Olivier would work the same way.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

It wasn't until yesterday, when I replayed that fight on a whim, that I saw the other person behind Loewe.

For this next part, I'm not actually sure who to take, so let's go with Estelle and Joshua.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Erpy posted:

Cuteness is Justice!

I'm certainly not complaining. :colbert:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'm simply going to say that I guessed correctly, pretty early on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Epsilon Moonshade posted:

After we get our answer in the LP, I want to hear how you arrived at the right one.

It's a bit of a cheat, but throughout the game, the characters referred to the Lord of Phantasma as "they," which I interpreted to mean that the gender of the Lord was supposed to be a surprise. In addition, all the interactions with the party and either the Lord or the Schwarzritter implied that everything was about Kevin, which implied that the Lord was someone close to Kevin. From there, Rufina was a pretty easy guess; she's super important to both Kevin and Ries' backstories, the Lord being female would be a twist, etc.

Even despite expecting her reveal, this whole scene is great.

• Locked thread