Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

My vote is for Funcompetence if that's no longer blocked by the word filter

Funcompitance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lawlicaust posted:

I hit 50 this phase about 5 quests into Transylvania and looked forward to testing some of the endgame they surely added since phase 3.

Nope. Elites still aren't available and it's 11 days until launch. Considering lairs require very high purple there's even less content avail than at TSW's original launch.

Also, I played the market pretty heavily this phase and managed to make about 30-40k cash shop currency which I spent openijg 100+ loot bags and buying AP/SP. Despite all that, I only have 4 weapons unlocked, 3 purples and 1 yellow, and only the skills and passives for the dps spec of 2 weapons. It's a super mega grind now.

This is going to go well.

My hope died with phase 2. Just enjoy the trainwreck.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Morglon posted:

Oh great I got to the town in Egypt and all the quests there seem to be broken, no cultist corpse to examine, not faction guy to hand my stuff to just unable to complete anything but sidequests.

Okay good it finally worked but the quest markers were way off. Also until I hit Egypt I was like ten levels over leveled for everything just because I did all the quests before I moved on. Still don't get why they even bothered with a level system when you're gonna hit max halfway through the story.

If anything but "half baked" comes to mind when you're playing you're giving funcom far too much credit.

Speaking of, after the beta I can't bring myself to play this abortion. The years of disappointment have just culminated. To the other 2012'ers, how are you still sticking around?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Thursday Next posted:

Legends. It's free to play. And, in spite of a lot of the negativity in this thread, it's actually pretty great for the story.

Like ESO, though, you should not play it as an MMO. If you stampede to level 50, or plan to level via grinding dungeons, you're going to be upset. There's not much endgame right now, given how strange the dungeon loot seems to be.

If you play it as a neat indie-ish story game, it's very fun.

I'm amazed at the number of versatile assets they have in the game. It's been a long time since I've played a PC-only release, I guess, and it REALLY shows how much more immersive they can be. I'm only in the first area, Kingsmouth, but each different storefront has its own unique branding and lettering style - you know, just like a real town would actually have. When you look around at things, you notice all the handpainted detail that went into it. That's part of the game - seeing numbers on a wall and using them later, or noting a strange symbol carved into the wood of the fence. I think they made a very smart choice to not let me zoom my camera around; the graphics are definitely dated but the whole customized look to it definitely works for them. The art department did very well with a limited budget. It's consistent, it's clean, and it's actually well done.

Sweet summer child

Please people, if you want to play for the story play Classic Secret World. You'll save yourself money on the story packs than with TSWL monetization, and everything said could be done so for the old game.

If I could I'd say don't give these people anymore money period, but I do still love what they tried to do way back when.

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jun 28, 2017

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Amante posted:

It's Funtended (TM)
:boom:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
The voice acting and writing are absolutely top notch and I will give every credit where its due. Its just...Funcom.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Meallan posted:

I think a lot of the bad of the monetization comes with how they are presenting it, actually. With the whole feature of converting aurum to marks and vice versa, they could easily hide some of the most in-your-face aspects of the money grabbing. An example for this are the sprint speed updates. Asking marks for it seems natural, after all, you get those by playing. But eventually they ask for aurum. Now a free player will just exchange marks for the aurum, sure. But since they're going to do that, why not just ask for a somewhat similar price of marks? Someone who would want to skip the grind could just buy it anyway. But this way it would be more cleverly hidden that they're asking for money at every turn.

This seems to be the major problem: Argatha cashes, sprints, inventory upgrades, etc. Having the option to still do these things with aurum is fine, but players having to basically click a "I don't want to spend money rn" button every turn is what makes people so angry about the whole thing.

"People dont mind being raped with a rusty spatula if you don't remind them you're doing it!"

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Kyrosiris posted:

See, I cheaped out and used a morse code app on my smartphone, but that was because I figured my character would do the same thing. :v:

I mean why have a cellphone if all it's good for is Geary reminding you how awesome she is

E: well that is reason enough, but still

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Capntastic posted:

Has Funcom talked about their roadmap for this yet?

I assume a chapter 11 will be involved.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DancingShade posted:

I far prefer the combat in SWL. Those people are crazy.

Do you work for Funcom? I've been getting that vibe the past few pages.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

DancingShade posted:

It's ok, we can jerk each other off behind the bike shed in secret over all the bad things later.

You better keep to that :colbert:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

dmboogie posted:

Man, this game might not really be "scary" in the way something like Alien Isolation is (having your character be literally, canonically immortal for all in-game intents and purposes doesn't allow much tension) but goddamn does it do a good job at just at being legitimately unnerving a lot of the time. Most of the enemy designs are genuinely unpleasant to look at, and even more unpleasant to listen to, jesus christ do I hate fighting the filth, or familiars, or zombies, or just generally hanging around areas with them because every minute I spend listening to those weird screeches is another minute closer to my ear holes finally getting sent to hell.

Like, real talk, what the hell is the source of that hosed up distorted babbling you can hear by Wolf in The Savage Coast? It seems to be something unique to the area, 'cause it doesn't sound like any of the enemies and I don't hear it anywhere else in the zone; but it just makes me. Not want to be there.

Ahh. Do you mean the abandoned house beside Wolf? That's a good place

E: oops, there was another page

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I'm not clear on why removing some of the deck outfits was in any way a good idea

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Capntastic posted:

I wanted a friend to record my attempts at Cost of Magic and do a spreadsheet on the cusses I use when pushed to my limits

What ended up being #1?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Propagandist posted:

Did they ever add the Illuminati gas masks back in?

This is an important question.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

poptart_fairy posted:

I have them on my level 50 character at least.

I got it using the character transfer, so I guess it's a TSW item? Anyway, I'm back in, hopefully I can make it pass blue mountain for once with the gameplay changes, everything is a gently caress ton easier now for sure.

I am high enough level for Polaris apparently, not sure how I feel about jumping into that.

E: Question, is there any way to get the deck outfits like Fixer and Bodyguard, the decks that didn't make the cut?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Ossipago posted:

New zone tease. Also, supposedly they've hired the original writer back for the story content.

Well shiiiit

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

It's a-comin'.

The office has been working on two things: agent system and the new zone. Both are actually coming soon(tm)

And not even, like, Funcom soon.

Blizzard soon?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Take the quasi compliment, if it makes you feel better y'all really are.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

flatluigi posted:

I don't really see the point in playing TSW over SWL, honestly.

I like the originals opening with the two forces or whatever on the cosmic shore. That poo poo got cut down bad in the new one, but there's YouTube for that. Also all the freaking clothes unlocks from classes that aren't in the new one. I'd only make the jump after new story content is out if you enjoy how the original plays.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

Holy poo poo guys it might actually happen?

https://www.secretworldlegends.com/2018/03/13/dawn-of-the-morninglight/

And there's new enemy character models!

I'm scared and confused...

New...content

.?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

Consider the possibility that due to high expectations set on the original launch, we have had maybe a tenth of the staff needed to support a game of this size/complexity, and the fact that we've released anything at all is closer to "miracle" than anything else.

So we shouldn't go expecting any more miracles then?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Woah now, you said it was a miracle anything had been released at all with the shoe string crew. What does that say for future content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

theflyingorc posted:

I am not going to play this weird game you're trying to drag me into, guy

Asking you what your words mean is a weird game, classic game dev. I'm sorry I ever gave Funcom money.