Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think a lot of the bad of the monetization comes with how they are presenting it, actually. With the whole feature of converting aurum to marks and vice versa, they could easily hide some of the most in-your-face aspects of the money grabbing. An example for this are the sprint speed updates. Asking marks for it seems natural, after all, you get those by playing. But eventually they ask for aurum. Now a free player will just exchange marks for the aurum, sure. But since they're going to do that, why not just ask for a somewhat similar price of marks? Someone who would want to skip the grind could just buy it anyway. But this way it would be more cleverly hidden that they're asking for money at every turn.

This seems to be the major problem: Argatha cashes, sprints, inventory upgrades, etc. Having the option to still do these things with aurum is fine, but players having to basically click a "I don't want to spend money rn" button every turn is what makes people so angry about the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I don't know, I really do think people would mind it a lot less if they weren't reminded that they can pay for progression. Because right now you can get to the end of Transylvania without paying a dime, so it doesn't look to me that they're punishing you that HARD for not paying ball. If, however, when they add Tokyo and Nightmares, the grind to continue with the game is as hard as it was in the original, or harder, then they would be punishing free to players. But as it is right now? A lot of people here are already max level and finished with what is currently available. What sense is it to have all of the skills and relic weapons or whatever they are called now when there's not even the endgame in?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, obviously that's the reason. I was just wondering if it was worth it having it presented that way, and having people recoil from it being presented that way. Obviously I don't have the numbers and research yo make any conclusions, but maybe it would work better to just have the option to pay aurum for it, and as such skipping any grind for marks, but also have the option to pay a ~reasonable~ amount of marks for it, maintaining them the appearance that they aren't punishing free players.

I mean, hyperbole aside, I do think that a LOT of recoil people have for these models is really how they go about asking for your money. People wouldn't complain so much about those agarthian drops if they weren't drops at all. Of course, they are because they want to remind you to spend money, but that just pisses a lot of people off. Even if it's true you don't have to open them.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Third World Reggin posted:

every once and awhile I find people who can't not imagine other people do not want to use an auction house or exchange currencies since they think everyone is broken like they are

the developers remind me of the same kind of people

Exactly. It's a bother. A bother that makes sense to have if people want to go after cosmetics or stuff that is not blocking progress. But it should not block progress for free to players. If you CAN just use the exchange anyway, maybe it would be worth to just have a set amount of marks for those things.

Because right now those seem to be some of the few things actually blocking progression. The lack of ways to get to max skills and stats may also just be their way to not let people get absurdly high level without having Tokyo and Nightmares yet. Because as it stand right now, to get to the end of the content available , I've yet to see the need to grind not even a third of what I had in the original game. Not even close. That can change though, and it would be what would make me drop it, just as it was what made me drop Tokyo (couldn't get to last aegis dungeon because of the grind).

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Fruits of the sea posted:

I loved the skill wheel, sad to see it go.

Anyways, what's the deal with weapon appearances now, do they change as the item is upgraded? I don't want to go through the entire game weilding a bent coathanger.

Devs said recently that weapon skins will be in ~soon~ as part of the dressing room and that there will be various ways to purchase them. I'm guessing some of them will require marks and others aurum.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

crawlkill posted:

Explanation about loot.

I'm guessing then that you're supposed to only equip the fancy item you just got after you evolve it to sufficient levels, and that supposedly you didn't lose much since eventually you need to fusion two items for the next colour item. But man, that must suck when it happens to purples.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

M_Sinistrari posted:

I don't remember it happening in TSW, but I've been having mobs drop lore bits. Is there any pattern to this that anyone knows of?

It was something added to late TSW, though I can't recall if it was specific monsters that dropped them. TSW guides to lore should have more info on them if you check.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I wonder if that big of a difference in AP/SP gain won't create a divide between patrons and nonpatrons but drat, am I not wanting to subscribe right now (I was initially holding off due to the horror stories going around of double charges and whatnot, maybe I'll just bite it with a prepaid card).

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I think what makes me happier about these changes is the remarkable change in faith people now have with the devs. I think the biggest threat to this game continuing or even having a chance is the wave of veterans that will leave bad reviews on steam day 1, now I feel things are looking more positive.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I did the link-redeem thing on the site but a friend is saying I also need to download the game and play it to get the weapons/character slots/cosmetic unlocks. I'd rather wait for the Steam release to see if this gets un-hosed but I can't afford to miss this poo poo. Anyone have confirmation?

You need to play and get to the first zone (kingsmouth) to be able to claim the items. There is a time limit for when you can link the accounts, but I don't know if you're only "safe" after you claim the items to your characters.

Anyway, don't quote me on this but I heard the limit is in August.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Are other people here lagging and losing connection to the server fairly frequently? It's being severe enough to make the game a lot let enjoyable.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Jay Rust posted:

The pistol is also very hands-off. Whenever you shoot something, you flip a coin. If you win, you get a slight damage boost with pistol abilities for a few seconds. So combining a shotgun (which requires a fair amount of micromanagement) with either a hammer or a pistol will work great, it's just up to you to decide what looks cooler.

This game is really fun. The tone and flavour reminds me of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines. I'm around halfway through Blue Mountain, and this might be the first MMO I play without listening to other music or putting on a podcast, because the aesthetics and especially the sound design are so atmospheric. In particular, I love exploring spooky buildings, and so my favourite part so far was running around the actual town of Kingsmouth. I hope there are more dense "urban" areas like that later on, because I find the attention to detail really rewarding. The investigation missions are memorable, even if I have to look up the solutions more often than not (I'm not well-versed in Bible history).

So yeah, really digging this game. The combat's alright.

There's going to be a bigger city than Kingsmouth later on, but most new areas (Egypt, Transylvania) have only small urban areas. There's still plenty of creepy buildings though! Oh believe me there's going to be a lot of creepy buildings.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Replaying as been so much fun. Going through the story for a second time feels great because you now understand a lot more of what's going on. There's so many variables and factions doing their own little things in the first area alone. It's great.

I hope this time the game takes off the ground. I remember playing Vampire Bloodlines a lot and this is one of the few games that gets that specific vein of atmosphere well. Horror mixed with a lot of humour. I think SWL does it even better than Vampire, to be honest.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Investigations missions are really uneven sometimes. I fully believe that the reason funcom didn't touch them is because some people would get REAL angry and accusations of dumbing down would be everywhere, even if I guarantee that 90% + of TSW players had to Google the answers.

There's some really good ones. In still early on my replay but the kingsmouth ones with the priest are the kind that's well done. They require knowledge of the map and some thinking outside of the box. Those are also the kind where you are supposed to Google, just not the outright answer. Doing those with a group of friends are some of my fondest memories with the game because we would cover each other's weaknesses.

But then there's the Ellis one where you're supposed to download the Morse code to be able to slow it down so you can translate it and it's just. Who is even going to do that?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Kyrosiris posted:

See, I cheaped out and used a morse code app on my smartphone, but that was because I figured my character would do the same thing. :v:

That's pretty legit actually. I feel that for those missions the only thing that counts as cheating is looking for a TSW walkthrough. Anything else is role-playing and fair game.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So. Question for the people here who know their stuff: What weapons can serve for tanking? What kind of gear? What's the recommended health?

I'm an assassin this time around but I heard blade is no longer a good tanking weapon. Is it still viable?

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Lawlicaust posted:

Shotgun, Hammer, and/or chaos. You need mostly health talismans. poo poo hits hard.

I'm a blade main right now, have spent no points on elemental secondary. Was thinking of switching ele for shotgun. That way I have a long range for the game proper and could switch to main shotgun for tanking. Are there any recommended abilities to get first for shotgun with a tanking build in mind? Would it be necessary to ALSO build up on hammer and chaos?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem like you know the meta pretty well.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Siddhartha Glutamate posted:

So here is a dumb question. do items (such as weapons) become character bound when you fuse them together? I've been leveling up Rifles, Swords, and stuff I cannot use figuring I would sell them on the AH when they hit blue but I just noticed that they are all character bound. Which, uh, makes me think they've always been character bound and I wasted a lot of time and ingame money...

I am bad at video games.

Empowering or equipping an item makes it character bound.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Richard M Nixon posted:

I had never played far in tsw (stopped at savage coast) so I'm 100%ing all the zones as I go. That includes doing every investigation mission without a guide. Some of these are loving ridiculous.

Yeah. Investigation missions are often the most praised parts of TSW but they can be pretty uneven. When they are well done though, it's honestly really incredible. I'm not far on my replay so I can't give too many specifics but some that come to mind are the ones that the priest in kingsmouth gives you.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So, for people really confused about the story, or who want to know more about the lore, apparently the villains wiki has some of the most detailed summaries of the story of SWL.

See here: Secret world villains . The one about the dreamers, in particular, is good to read about the whole thing.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yeah. Basically if you read these, and then some basic explanation of anima and the lore entries for agartha, etc. Then you'll come out of it knowing the plot of this game pretty well and above much of the playing population.

It's a shame that I basically can only find such articles in the... villains wiki... And not on a tsw wiki.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Len posted:

I would read the poo poo out of a tsw wiki with all the lore, mission turn in text, and the extra stuff nobody asks npcs because I can read faster then they talk, also because you have to do it multiple times to exhaust everything they have to say.

CHESTON get on it brah

CryGaia has all the dialogue and end mission reports of tons of missions. Including Tokyo ones. One of the missions they have there for example. They also have all dialogue spoke by some of the in world characters. Here's Sonnac, for example.

PSA: Tokyo missions are also there but since this wiki has obviously stopped being well kept for a while, you're probably going to have to search them by name.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

prefect posted:

I have the attention-deficit disorder, so I want to read all the lore until I get into the game, when I feel compelled to do missions instead. I wish there were some way to read it all when I'm not playing.

CryGaia has a lot of the lore, but if you have an android phone there's also an app on the play store called Legends Library.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Capntastic posted:

Just be sure to dress in an appropriately light fashion and wear a hat to prevent sunburn

I... literally do this. Zone through zone, outfits must be carefully planned. I take my sunglasses off when it's night. A good fluffy jacket for Transylvania, but I still need to find something that will protect my character from rain without looking silly (she's a serious templar operative)

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Pendent posted:

I'm personally disappointed that those of us dumb enough to buy the old lifetime subscription don't get anything but unlimited patron status, at least as far as I can tell.

How is that a bad deal? You purchased lifetime subscription and are now subscribed for life.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So where do you guys think the new Tokyo lair is going to be? That closed off city top right in the map?

I hope it is.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

poptart_fairy posted:

Oh my god is it true AEGIS is not applicable in Tokyo anymore?

Yes. It's gone.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Yes, I think that's an oversight. Official word is that aegis is gone from everything but story mentions.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Phanatic posted:

I totally appreciate that Aegis was a sucky un-fun mechanic but the Aegis-related quests were fun and good and I'm disappointed that they just removed them without replacing them with anything.

Don't quote me on this but I think they have said they're bringing the tank guy back. They were just re-working the missions or wtv.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Sekenr posted:

That is what I was curious about, since there doesn't seem to be any apparent gain for FNF/Marquard or the sleepers, but who knows

I also never really understood the second part, specifically Why did Samael even try to stop us from reaching her, and got angry at the outcome. He seemed very displeased with her shenanigans even before things went out of control with Marquard/the bomb. Didn't they even split paths after her last big fuckup with sleepers?

He probably still loves her, and has the sort of thinking "the only one who gets to punish Lilith is me."

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
So you guys mean the seven silences mission? If so that was a mission you could only do during Halloween, yes.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Tallgeese posted:

Plus there's a story about a bee who is trapped by organ harvesters.

I don't think I need to tell you what happens there.

There's also the suicide bee.
It just takes a loooooooooooooot of work.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

theflyingorc posted:

hey friends

new content tomorrow

I hope you like it, I think it is very fun.

I'm pretty excited, Morninglight content has always been my favourite. If the tone and writting is even close to what it has been before then I'll be over the moon.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Regarding Daimon idk if it should be considered a change in personality. Before you didn't work for him, now you do.
His scenes with the guys working for him always showed him as someone that allowed no insubordination and who liked to exert his dominance over them.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is there a particular weapon combo thats good for soloing? Weird question I guess but I enjoy this games story (got to Egypt back in the original release) but the gameplay, even with it being overhauled in this version doesn't really do it for me so anything that makes it faster or easier would be good.

I also don't care much for the gameplay and have a hammer + shotgun. So far I've had no problems.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
I liked Egypt. :colbert:

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Omi no Kami posted:

Is the last 25% of the game worth pushing through egypt?

I liked Egypt so beware of my opinion but Kaiden was probably my favourite area storywise.

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017
Oh walk into empty was my favourite of the 3 expansion missions. But I love the no fear foundation stuff of kaidan and the orochi tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meallan
Feb 3, 2017

Ossipago posted:

Halloween event is live and they added in the broadcast mission from SWL. So at this rate in 3 more years we'll have all the SWL missions in place. At least the pale horse is guaranteed. I always wanted that mount.

What do you have to do to get it?