Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Hello

It's sunny today so I took a trip to the shop and loaded the office freezer with Oreo cookie ice cream sandwich things to share. I'll devour most of those this evening when I'm all alone working the late.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You don't seem to have much luck with cars man.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm farting like a loving trooper today. :rip: anyone within 20ft

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Yeah psytrance doesn't exactly attract the cleanest of people. ...which is weird because the fans are usually firmly middle class.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sadi posted:

https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2097348/
2015 Giant Stance 1
Pro:
Full suspension 120mm travel
XT driveline seems like the lowest end that is still tough.
Seems like the mods are consistent with fixing complaints I read about in reviews.
Cons:
Only 120mm of travel.
Not a frame youd really want to keep long term.
I dont think it would fit + tires if I wanted to, but being FS i don't think it would need them.
I read the fork can feel a bit spindly, but I think its the same on the Chameleon but I don't read bad things about it on the Chameleon so :shrug:

XT is solid, LX is too, gently caress Deore is still fantastic and super cheap to replace when you break it. 'only' 120mm of travel isn't a con unless you're planning on doing some silly stuff in which case you wouldn't be looking at either of the other 2 bikes anyway. Fork feel depends on how fat you are, people raved about Maverick forks and those loving things were hideously overpriced and about as stiff laterally as boiled noodles.

I'd personally go with the Giant if only because I've ridden a few different years and versions of Giant's FS stuff and they've all been pretty great, certainly more than capable enough to get you into trouble :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

no I get my facts from Infowars who tell you the real news

Christ. :captainpop:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

freelop posted:

Was originally planning on getting an e-bike and being lazy but at the local bike shop mentioned you are buying the electronics so a £1200 bike gets you a £200 bike as opposed to spending £600 and getting a £600 bike.

Yup and because they're all cheap steel they weigh 11 tons.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

I like watching mighty car mods but goddamn I cannot stand moogs voice.

I don't mind him, he seems like a good dude but the music he produced for the show really grates on me. It's like he's heard a few different genres, not in any real detail but then tries to copy them all in a single track. It's so annoying.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Rhyno posted:

So uh

31 pounds lost. Thanks for the encouragement dudes!

Not bad. How do you feel?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

bend posted:

LOL @ "It only does 200k, but on a tiny dirt road with trees, that's pretty fast"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMAR9mBFN4c&feature=youtu.be

Awesome.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

You can just hand it back in (to HR) and see who blinks first about the final payment being negotiable.

I paid about £800 for a £1000 bike. At the end of the 12 months they sent me a letter saying if I'd like to buy the bike it'd cost £120. Otherwise to ignore the letter and they'd ask me again the year after and continue lending me the bike.

After 3 years a letter arrived asking if I'd like to buy the bike again with a revised sum of £12. In order to stop the poor lady sending me letters about it I called up, paid my £12 and now own the thing outright.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I may have gotten stung last night by the cameras on those 'smart' motorways. Hoping not because loving giving money away for driving safely on a motorway.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Considering May called this election under the impression it was going to be a landslide, if it isn't then that bitch needs to gently caress off.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Modern cars are fat. And bad looking.

And :lol: @Theresa May

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Nah I smashed a 20 box of nuggets, some fries and a shake and then passed out about 11.30. I'm really enjoying all the content popping up this morning though...

I mean Lord Buckethead stood next to May will never not be hilarious.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I never knew about Mr Fish Finger

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

^ what's his stance on fox hunting though fam?

Lord Buckethead stands for the hunting of fox hunters and is therefore the clear choice.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Door Frame posted:

I dunno, does that Buckethead advocate for laser based arms deals, local shopping mall revivals, or free bicycles to combat obesity/rampant bicycle theft?

His manifesto is the best

quote:

Katie Hopkins to be banished to the Phantom Zone.

Nuclear weapons: A firm public commitment to build the £100bn renewal of the Trident weapons system, followed by an equally firm private commitment not to build it. They’re secret submarines, no one will ever know. It’s a win win.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I'm proper lolling at some of the reactions to all this.

Earlier today one of my friends was saying some poo poo about 'whining remoaners wanting another vote on brexit because they didn't get their way'. About 5 minutes ago he's basically said there should be another vote on leadership because Conservatives didn't get the majority.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Alternatively to lose more weight, do zero exercise and lose useful muscle instead. It seems to be the process of choice for most instagram models.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

jammyozzy posted:

This is loving amazing:

https://twitter.com/me_stafford/status/873209534885617664

I am very excited to see how long a government relying on the turbo-homophobic DUP and the lesbian-lead Scottish Conservatives lasts. :allears:

Oh wow that's one hell of a question :lol:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gimpsuitjones posted:

What's up with 3rd gen Supras? They seem oddly affordable for old RWD Japanese cars in NZ.

second question: is the 1G-GTE any good?

1G-GTE is not enough engine to get these cars moving. Also the version of the car that engine comes in is the narrowbody which looks loving weird. 'standard' is the widebody on 7MGE, 7MGTE, 1JZ versions.

narrowbody 1G:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Someone isnt going to like this.... buuuut (apologies in advace )

Fat heavy turds in their day, years have not been kind to them to say the least.

^^ also accurate. Source: I own one with the 7M which as mentioned does indeed eat head gaskets. I had the head on mine worked over and fitted a metal head gasket along with ARP bolts and then a week later beat the poo poo out of it on a track so it's solid now. Head reassembly is annoying as the spaces to actual fit the bolts and such are tiny so you essentially have to assemble the bolts as you're putting the head on. Very heavy cars as standard, as mentioned they're a GT car but find a solid one and they're actually a really nice drive though the stock suspension is soft and has massive amounts of travel so it rolls hilariously round corners though it takes serious effort to get it to lose grip. And never touch an auto (same goes for any car really), the W58 and R154 boxes are agricultural at best, notchy and not smooth but definitely solid. Also these have a lot of brake disc because they're fat but not quite enough caliper to stop them quickly.

If you can grab one for not much money and don't mind the possibility of the head going up on you then go ahead. Parts availability in the US is still pretty great with nothing being too stupid money wise. Also straight 6 noises are good times no matter what the car. Pre-facelift (as in the bumper on the photo above) is the best looking.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Beverly Cleavage posted:

s2000 also fits the bill.

Auto S2K? Was that ever a thing? If so, why? The manual boxes on those things are incredible.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Doom is superb, the engine is so smooth and solid. I made the mistake of picking it up after Titanfall 2 though which has the superior movement system, is faster and allows you to pilot a giant robot and punch people into a fine red mist. GOTY.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Artificial market scarcity is the weirdest thing to me, who does it actually help? I used to buy a lot of footwear and x company (usually Nike) would do a limited run of say 500 pairs of boots for £150 a pair. These would obviously sell out immediately and appear on ebay for £300 a pair and they'd usually all sell within minutes.

So it seems to me like the only people who win in this sort of situation are scalpers, at least double the profit for just turning up to a shop/clicking things online. ...but if Nike sold 1000 pairs they'd still sell out in no time and they'd be just as popular so why not go for a decent run on them?

Someone with a business head explain this sort of thing to me because I don't get it. I understand creating a buzz about your stuff being R@RE!! and I understand wanting the people who buy it to feel somewhat privileged to own a limited run but from a purely cash point of view selling more makes more sense, surely?

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Jun 13, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

spog posted:

Branding and value perception.

If people think that some £150 Nike trainers are 'worth' £300 then, in their mind, there must be a value to any Nike-branded trainers

So, even the £75 ones must be worth at least £75 to the buyer's mind and so they sell 10,000s of units.

Unlike cars, where a Bugatti can be shown to have a value much higher than a Volkswagen, If people ever sat down and realised that all trainers cost <£10, then Nike would lose a shitload of money.

But sell more @£150 = get more cash...? That's the bit I fall down on. Nike WILL sell whatever amount they pump out there, especially so if they're a limited run so why not double the run length and just make a stack more money selling your £10 trainers for £150 a pop? I guess at some point your company is so huge and profitable that money doesn't matter too much and it's all purely a marketing exercise?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

@spog ^^ cool, makes more sense to me now. I just hate when they do it.

I just took a look at their sales numbers and they pulled in $32 billion last year. That's loving crazy money for some leather and bits of clothing. I'm also still waiting on those self-lacing sneaks and the general run of Mags they said they'd drop years ago.

In other news whilst flicking through instagram whilst taking a poo poo at work I come across a picture about 'cleansing your colon' and in the comments an argument about whether it's required or not. One guy going full ham suggesting that your butt has old poop in it and gets blocked so you need to cleanse it. How do people not know how their butts work?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Mario Kart hasn't been good since 64. It was after that point they inserted massive rubber-band AI and the non-randomness of the pick ups became massively apparent. It became less of a game of being good at racing with the occasional hit from a power up to a massive clusterfuck of no fun and getting pounded repeatedly by things from people in last place.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJHRf8PBqIE

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

I know we've had this discussion but what is everyone's commute? Currently I'm 21 miles, ~30 minutes

8 mile round trip, ~20 minutes each way on a bike tootling through a park and on a few roads.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Seminal Flu posted:

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

Seeing as it's a hotel TV it'll have your typical dynamic picture settings, every single bit of image processing banged up to max. That right there makes a lot of difference, TVs in stores have a demo mode which does similar, max brightness, max sharpness, max contrast, max motion enhancement... Fine for brightly lit stores and such but garbage for normal viewing settings. Some people just get used to it, I've got several friends who run then on dynamic, max everything and I can feel my retinas being scorched whenever we sit down to watch a movie. Horrible experience.

On the contrast (haha, AV nerd joke!) going to the cinema is hard for me as most cinemas have really lovely projectors with crap contrast ratios and slow colour wheels which just throw rainbows everywhere. Add to that the whole 24fps thing which inherently adds motion blur to everything and it just makes for a miserable viewing experience. I watched John Wick 2 at the cinema and for the most part it was fine but when he got into the sewer/catacombs thing it was just a mass of crushed black punctuated by flashes of gunfire. I get home after that and watch the trailer on my old plasma and holy gently caress, I can see everything in the clips for that scene!

It's annoying to pay premium prices when you have a better set up at home with comfier seats and a beer fridge nearby.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

There's only a few manufacturers of panels, there's definitely various grades of panel though. Also multiple levels of image processing which some companies still get really wrong. But yeah, image compression from cable companies etc is pretty bad. Bandwidth is limited still so some channels get far more compressed than others, the only way to truly tell what your screen is capable of is to feed it a blu ray. And that's also why I dislike streaming, you get lovely bandwidth so you end up with colour banding to save space. If you're watching cartoons, great. If you like watching dark movies then prepare for a shitshow of banding and crushed blacks.

Generally though overall quality of image is still a fuckload better than it used to be in the early days of LCD screens, those were truly awful. I used to work for B&O and we pulled out so many of our CRT screens to replace them with LCDs that looked far worse, it was horrible. LCDs back then needed a HD signal to not look like utter crap but still kinda did.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Jun 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Sadi posted:

I'm probably in the minority. But I loving hate those tvs that run high frame rate and smooth poo poo. I'm perfectly happy watching my movies at 24fps and it look nice to me.

Motion smoothing on stuff that's not supposed to have it, ie; the screen creates extra frames using some weirdo processing is bad and looks horrible. High framerate stuff looks super nice, it just looks really odd at first because as human beings we've known low framerate smeary action for so long in films despite IN REAL LIFE our eyes working at a far higher 'frame rate'. I guess this is why I love movies that actually film action scenes well with stable cameras so you can actually see what's happening unlike utter rear end like the loving Bourne films.

Garbage at low frame rate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VznKqWl5VE

Wonderful at low frame rate :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw4w2GhkBKA

I want to SEE the loving thing I've paid to watch. (and y'all really should watch both Raid films if you even remotely like action)

*edit: watching that Bourne clip back again just shows up how awful those movies are in terms of action, wow. Also the sound editing is utter poo poo, love those cheap stock sound samples used everywhere.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jun 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Still want to know how the gently caress they shot the mirror hall scence sin Wick 2, that was simply gorgeous

That people didn't notice it whilst watching it is the single greatest triumph of that film... Seamlessly done. I can't wait to get that on blu ray, I'm going to watch the tits off it.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The London housing situation is laughable with people looking to make money off those who need a place to stay. I recall watching some show about the ridiculous setups some places in London have whilst I was down there for a gig. One room for rent was hanging off the back of a house, it was a small room maybe 8' wide by 20' long. It was a glazed conservatory type thing on the 2nd floor, leaky cold and they wanted £700 per month for it. Add to that there was a loving TREE growing THROUGH the middle of the room from the back garden below, I wish I could find it again, it was incredible. They'd thought about amenities though so there was a 4-way socket hastily screwed into the thick branch of the tree.

There's also this ongoing Vice series: https://www.vice.com/en_uk/topic/london-rental-opportunity-of-the-week?topic_id=5845ef56ec1539029ee3acef

quote:

Every week or so – the frequency varies but the bleakness stays the same – there will be an advert for a London property that plumbs new terrible depths of bad bastardry. Rent a bunkbed above a wardrobe, that sort of thing. Pay £1,500-a-month to sleep in someone's shed. You know: the sort of thing that only an estate agent with a ponytail and a thing for cheap gak can truly think is acceptable. Anyway: we have decided to catalogue all of these in a big effort to worry your mum. "How's London?" she's saying. She's leaving you a voicemail message because you won't pick up. "How's that London you live in? I've heard people get shot there. I've heard people pay £1,500 a month to live in sheds. Come home, Sam. Come home forever, and I'll do you a roast."

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 14, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I've been on holiday 3 times to Florida during summer and the rainstorms were pretty much a daily event from what I remember. The humidity would build all morning to the point where you just drip sweat constantly, the sky would crack and you'd get drowned by fat rain for 20 minutes or so and then the sun would come out again. The short period after the rain before the humidity built again was wonderful, as was the actual rain. I live in a country with cold rain so when you visit a place where the sky water's as warm as a tepid shower you don't really mind getting soaked as much.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Looks like it's baby o'clock y'all! Just got admitted to the hospital about 30 minutes ago. This little dude is about to make his entrance :woop:

Hope all runs smoothly

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

slidebite posted:

I think I was about the only person left on the planet that never saw a single second of Game of Thrones, so borrowed S1 from the library yesterday. Had enough time to watch E1 last night.

That was ... a thing. I could see some binge watching in my future.

My girlfriend was given tickets to a Thrones tour in Ireland and asked if I wanted to go on the proviso that I watch the show. I relented aaaaaaaaaand it's actually really good. Basically don't fall in love with any character and your heart won't get broken. :'(

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Gravity Falls

My dude :hfive:

Speaking of Gravity Falls I'm waiting on delivery of my copy of journal 3 from the show... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gravity-Falls-Journal-3-Special/dp/1368002501

:3:

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 16, 2017

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool, I'll have to watch out for those fiance would be amazed.

That version is a 10k limited run because they're doing it on parchment and with UV inks, metal corners and such. You can buy the standard edition of journal 3 now for $12.
https://www.amazon.com/Gravity-Falls-Journal-Alex-Hirsch/dp/1484746694/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497605526&sr=8-1&keywords=journal+3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

The Walking Dead is poop.

• Locked thread