Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm a little uncomfortable with this "good news" Rhyno. I'm much more accustomed to "Hey guys, this friend of mine hijacked a bus filled with 50% senior citizens and 50% children. Then he raped all the passengers. Then he died" Rhyno.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Work have handed me a new iphone. Itunes decides it doesn't like the new phone. I loving hate Apple stuff man, even poo poo that's meant to be simple seems to find a way to gently caress up.

Plus, when it does gently caress up, Apple has the tools to fix the problem buried in the most non-intuitive place and when you find them, the tools don't work for poo poo.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

The Locator posted:

So.. she shocked me a bit, and told me that they would be attaching a 5yr/100,000 mile ESP+ warranty to the car, and I would be getting the paperwork in the mail in about 6 weeks, but it would be active immediately.

Wow, that was not the resolution I was expecting, and pretty impressive. I've had much worse experiences with superior German adhesive-purveyors.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

I hope y'all aren't using OneLogin to manage your passwords. http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-40118699

I'm probably over-reliant on Roboform... hopefully they are secure. :ohdear:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

OH MY GOD I OWN A PT CRUISER

I knew things couldn't go well for you for too long.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

First mod:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I think I'm pretty much done detailing my own cars now. Started my xB early today and just now getting ready to wax it, I can't do this poo poo anymore my back and hands/arms are killing me :smith:

Better living through technology. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKT63XM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Do you have a mattock?

An absolute must-have hand tool that is always fun to swing. Case in point, I had to destroy a few dozen PCs after a conversion in the '90s. I was in charge of IT and the powers that be wanted ABSOLUTE assurances that the data could not be recovered. I took the pointy end of the mattock and plunged it straight through the platter section of the hard drives, then threw the units in the compactor. Absolutely unrecoverable. :D

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

One cannot witness what thou does not link properly.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

Is that what got you into this mess?

:drat:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

Bicycle guys: Is a Lemond Buenos Aires worth checking out? My wife's looking for a bike and this one seems like it's in good shape and a good price: https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/bik/6170092668.html

It's old, and the wheels are prone to cracking and are disposable, but it's a super solid and nice bike for $350. Worst case, throw some $150 Shimano wheels on it and run it forever.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Do we have a concrete cleaning expert here? Is there a coating I can spray on my driveway that will be invisible but keep fluid leaks from soaking in?

Short answer: cardboard.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Look up hydrophobic coatings, appears there's several on the market. Phone posting so didn't dig into them much...

It's not Rhyno's driveway, I wouldn't risk something that changes the color/surface of the concrete. Especially for a pissing PT Cruiser.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Honest answer -- I've had good luck with this for years: https://www.amazon.com/Oil-Eater-AOD1G35437-Cleaner-Degreaser/dp/B000EALHHG

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Rhyno posted:

Awesome, will give this a shot.

Spray it on and let it sit is all I've ever done. I've never even scrubbed or rinsed afterwards, it seems to tear down the oil and it washes away with the rain.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Pham Nuwen posted:

webmd strikes again

I think this is the first confirmed case of internet health research ending up with a diagnosis other than cancer.

And what do I do now with this massive, worm loaded pile of dicks?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Dale Jr. money shifted his Cup car yesterday. :laugh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

QuarkMartial posted:

Please tell me there's video online and a swearing fit.

No swearing fit, but he tore out his transmission today doing the exact same thing. :laugh:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Could there be a more boring and unoriginal name for a next-gen console than the Xbox One X?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Sadi posted:

So snapped the chain on the first ride of that stance 1 I bought. 2 mile walk back to the car. Guess I learned my first spare parts lesson.

drat. That sounds like the shop didn't have it set up right. I've only snapped one chain in 15k+ miles, and that was just recently... and only because I had been using my 11 speed bike on the Kickr with a 10 speed cassette over the winter. I think I flared out the chain and made it go boom.

New bikes should not do that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

nm posted:

Probably a manufacturing defect.

Or that. Either way, an infant mortality failure is a sad way to start bike ownership.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

TV chat -- I have a 65" Costco Vizio in my family room. It's running 1080p fed by a Tivo Bolt using a cablecard though an HDMI cable after going through a Yamaha HDMI receiver.

I was on vacation last week and the hotel had a ~50" LG fed by a coax cable showing about 60 channels.

That LG was brutally sharp. Sharper than what I have at home by a damned sight.

So... is the LG screen better because it's got a better pixel density? Is the Vizio just crap? Is the coax line feed better than what I'm using? I've seen sharpness improvements using over-the-air signals, but not from a cable feed...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

So it looks like there are too many variables to really track it down, that's sad. The Vizio is about 2.5 years old. It was a mid-range unit. I'm looking to go to 70, but want to wait until whatever "the next big thing" is becomes mainstream. Thanks for the input.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

Total non-sequitur but this made me miss my mom. "Are you hungry?" was pretty much her catch phrase, and it meant one of a dozen things like "I'm glad you're here/I love you/how are you/stay a while."

Damnit. Seeing your post reminded me that I never replied to you about the pdr tools. They are way too big and heavy to ship for any reasonable cost (big 3xshotgun case that weights ~70 pounds). And in all honesty, you can get a setup to test for way less than shipping cost for this set.

The guy that sold me on PDR back in ~2005 said that he could do it with a screwdriver... and that really is the point. If you know how to do it, the tools just help you get access to hard-to-get-to dents. Look on eBay or Aliexpress for a lighted line board, get some knockdown tools and a couple whale tales. That will get you in the ring... then just start practicing on the ones you can reach. If you don't blow the gently caress out of them, then you can start expanding the tool collection...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Wrar posted:

They're also almost daily happenings in the summer too.

I was on the Gulf coast last week and yeah, the storms dump a serious amount of water down.

But worse than that is Florida drivers. Ohio driving is really bad, and Florida made Ohio look like precision dancing. It is really odd to see large clumps of traffic doing 78 in a 70, only to drop down to 64, only to go back to 78... and repeat that cycle over and over without any particular cause for the mass slow downs.

I rented a Prius to see what they were like. I like the premise, and setting the dash to full-on video game mode is kinda fun, but I have never seen a more nagging, nanny-ing car in my life. Backup beeps for those inside the car only, hyperactive lane departure, all kinds of nags. But if the radar cruise thought it was too close to the car in front, it would fully turn disengage cruise without a peep. loving weird and annoying.

So yeah, it was a very Florida trip.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

LloydDobler posted:

No worries, Amazon has a few comprehensive sets that look appealing as well. But actually you're right. I should spend like $20 to figure out if I have the patience on some easy to reach dents, and then stock up on tools if I want to reach all of them. The little hot glue bridge pullers are pretty fascinating too, that would be a way better solution on the roof of my wagon (over taking the headliner down), if I could get good at pulling a dent proud and tapping it back.

The more I've been looking at my daughter's V50, it is really peppered with dents and the metal is really thin. And it's black with full gloss still. So basically worst of all worlds, if I can do that I can do anything.

I've got a glue puller and it's handy, but not a panacea. There's little control with it as to when and how it releases, and this leads to very-easy-to-make high spots. That leads to using the knockdown tool, which can lead to a mess.

Yeah, thin metal with black paint... if you can make that look good, anything else would be cake.

angryrobots posted:

There is a very up to date thread in IYG about tvs, and deals on tvs.

OLED is the next big thing, and LG is the cost/benefit leader, I think, at this time. I'm personally holding out for Sony's new stuff to come out, and for the current video/audio signal wars to get somewhat settled. I'll probably pay a premium for it, but I think it's generally accepted that Sony has the best image processing. I've managed 7 years on my current VIZIO, and am still pretty happy. I'd like to get the same kind of service life from the next set as well.

Thanks, I'm not looking to replace that one right now, but I am looking to got to a 55" for the bedroom. I'll check out the thread.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

InitialDave posted:

*avatar turns out to be prophetic, doctors are baffled*

Hell yeah, welcome baby Heroic coupe!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

CornHolio posted:

Ugh, man. My dad's had kidney failure since October, and he's actively looking for a donor. He has five siblings but they're all apparently too old to be a donor. I have two brothers, but one is on high blood pressure medication and probably couldn't be a donor.

I really don't want to do it. Am I a selfish rear end in a top hat? He hasn't asked me but I'm sure he never would.

Watch the HBO documentary "Tales from the Organ Trade." Among other things, it shows a family going through an identical issue with a daughter making the same choice. You can see how it looks externally from that video.

They've made it tough to find. It's no longer on HBO properties, but it's only a few bucks to stream. I use it in class because it's an excellent example of a situation where there is no "right" answer, because it is so complex and intertwined with many moral issues.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

please do not sacrifice the rest of your life to give a boomer maybe another five or ten years (unless you really like them in which case idk)

??? FYI, people can live perfectly full and complete lives with one kidney. Your hated of boomers knows no bounds, I guess. Would you deny one of your parents a kidney if it'd give them another five or ten years?

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 15, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Complex issue, complex answer, and we don't have all the information.

Do not devolve this into a shouting match about boomers or ungratefulness or whatever while CornHolio sits here having to make a big decision about his and his dad's lives. I'll ding you for it.

I don't know if you're looking at sending me to dingtown, but it is a complex issue and CornHolio brought it up for discussion. You've pretty much stifled that discussion, because talking about either choice could be seen as shouting about "x."

(BTW, I recommend that documentary to all reading this. There are many levels to both the decision and the multinational resources available to first-world kidney needers.)

Top replying b/c I don't want to deal with this. I'll just remove myself from the conversation topic.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 15, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

Welp I'm a truck owner*. I just bought a 240k mi '01 Silverado from a flipper. Hopefully there are no snags at the DMV and this doesn't blow up in my face.

Have the brake lines been replaced?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

monsterzero posted:

LOLmestic. It looked rust free (possibly from Texas) so maybe I'll get lucky. I'll crawl under it after I get out of the DMV. Any specific areas that collect rust?

Look up underneath the driver's side of the cab. Hopefully it looks like my Southeastern Escalade does:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Ok guys, I need a suggestion on how to fix this problem. The bottom part of my lovely KitchenAid microwave handle pulled out. Looks like it was held in with just a thin bit of plastic. The handle pulled through, leaving a screw and washer in the handle, and a hole in the door:

My first thought was to pull the door apart. They made that very difficult. There's an inside plastic liner , but underneath that is the door's metal frame, no way to get to the handle-securing area.

The second thought was to just replace the whole loving door, since they don't sell door parts. But at $250, screw that noise.

Third thought is to fill the hole with enough epoxy to shove the handle in there and hope it gets enough to grab. That seems a bit cavalier, though.

So, AI, what say you is the best way to fix this?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meltie posted:

JB Weld.

That's my thought, but I can't get to the back side, so I need a way to get a good connection on both sides.

rdb posted:

A self tapper through the handle. Or if your kids are super hard on it drill it all the way through and use a lock washer, nut and locktite. Its already hosed so who cares.

The handle is clean and smooth on the outside, I'm not going to just run a fastener through there. There's got to be a way to do it without it looking like rear end.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Can you cut through the interior frame to get access to the backside?

There's a plastic trim ring, but behind that is a big, multiple-layered primary metal/glass door. There's no reasonable way to get to the back side of the handle. It looks like they assembled it, then wrapped the stainless around the assembly. To disassemble, I'd need to bend all of the tabs of the stainless, and there's just no way that thin metal will ever go back on and look reasonable.

So I'm looking at securing from the front, into a blind, open hole. Not pretty, but there's a way... I'm confident.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

Fuckload of No More Nails between handle and door front.

Don't be subtle.

I was thinking of something like that, but there's plastic inside the hole... what about using a plastic push connector glued inside the hole (I can cut it so that it goes in, but have the washer part expand when it goes through the hole), use some type of superglue to bond the plastics, and have the pin part of the push connector sticking out. Then, as a "step 2" use JB Weld or No More Nails or something, fill the cavity of the handle, then clamp it all together... I can see it in my head, I think it may work...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I finished the floor in the new laundry room, new 97% furnace and a 3.5t AC are going in on Monday

Living without AC for the past two weeks has been quite the uh treat

Fuuuuuuck... I got an email from my thermostat last night telling me that the AC was doing a poo poo job. Still hauled it down to 70* now, but it took too long.

18 year old system, so I'm looking at replacing both. What is yours going to cost?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Anphear posted:

I feel like DIY says Maytag or Speedqueen but they are $1k each but last forever... find a lightly used one orrrr a pre-damaged from somewhere.

Maytag is Whirlpool, which is some other megacorp. That said, find a pre-damaged one!

I am using a Maytag Nautilus top-load that has a terrible reputation because it's got a huge motor integrated into the bottom of the basket to make it direct-drive. Plus, it spins at a really high rate, so the bearing at the bottom takes a poo poo and nobody wants to touch it. Mom was quoted $800 for the repair. She got a new one, I took the old one and put a $60 bearing rebuild kit in it and it's been working fine for a couple years.

At the same time, I also bought a matching Maytag dryer from craigslist that was broken. Got it for $50, a nice, big dryer with steam and all that jazz. Turns out the guy that had it never used the lint filter and this was another weirdo design that pulled air through the unit instead of blowing it in, so lint build-up burned up some stuff. But again, a few cheap parts and it's been working great.

A lot of appliances are really simple and modular to repair, people are just too afraid to look inside when something breaks.

Then there's my stupid microwave door handle that has parts not available. :(

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meltie posted:

Bit late to reply, but, I was mentioning JB Weld or epoxy resin because holy poo poo Do NOT cut or modify the door; it's part of the radiation shielding.

Thanks, no radiation exposure risk occurred during or after this repair.

I ended up with a hybrid of the options. I liked the christmas tree push pin idea, and ended up backing the existing screw out about 3/8" to have the screw head project into the cavity. I filled the cavity with as much JB Weld as I could make stick, then slathered more JB Weld on the handle side. Clamped and checked it 8 hours later... looks good so far. Thanks for the suggestions, it helped me work it out in my head!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Adiabatic posted:

Welp. Corvette was leading for a while and wrecked on the last lap of Le Mans. Crossed the finish with a locked wheel, in third place.

That was a little crazy. It's pretty uncommon to see action like that at the end of a 24 hour race. That poor car went from leading to straight munged-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Larrymer posted:

That finish saddened me. Wonder if the puncture happened from where the Aston tried to make the pass and banged into his left side coming back on or from him missing the chicane and loving up the car.

Which damage? It was pretty well beat by the end. Looks like his offroading took a tire down that sent him all over the track trying to keep catching it. The left front got taken out in a barely-shown off where he caught the wall. Kinda impressive that he brought it across the finish line after a lap and a half of various disasters!

• Locked thread