Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

The recurring stall-after-warm-start problem on my Accord is back.

gently caress it, I'm going to go buy myself a brand new car. I've had enough bad luck with used cars on Craigslist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I've had it with stubbing my toe, time to shoot my foot off

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

funny Star Wars parody posted:

I've had it with stubbing my toe, time to shoot my foot off

If I had a gun that could make my stubbed toe somebody else's problem I would consider it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Ok guys, I need a suggestion on how to fix this problem. The bottom part of my lovely KitchenAid microwave handle pulled out. Looks like it was held in with just a thin bit of plastic. The handle pulled through, leaving a screw and washer in the handle, and a hole in the door:

My first thought was to pull the door apart. They made that very difficult. There's an inside plastic liner , but underneath that is the door's metal frame, no way to get to the handle-securing area.

The second thought was to just replace the whole loving door, since they don't sell door parts. But at $250, screw that noise.

Third thought is to fill the hole with enough epoxy to shove the handle in there and hope it gets enough to grab. That seems a bit cavalier, though.

So, AI, what say you is the best way to fix this?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Seminal Flu posted:

JB Weld.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
A self tapper through the handle. Or if your kids are super hard on it drill it all the way through and use a lock washer, nut and locktite. Its already hosed so who cares.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

meltie posted:

JB Weld.

That's my thought, but I can't get to the back side, so I need a way to get a good connection on both sides.

rdb posted:

A self tapper through the handle. Or if your kids are super hard on it drill it all the way through and use a lock washer, nut and locktite. Its already hosed so who cares.

The handle is clean and smooth on the outside, I'm not going to just run a fastener through there. There's got to be a way to do it without it looking like rear end.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can you cut through the interior frame to get access to the backside?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Seat Safety Switch posted:

yeah, with a small hole saw?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

There's a plastic trim ring, but behind that is a big, multiple-layered primary metal/glass door. There's no reasonable way to get to the back side of the handle. It looks like they assembled it, then wrapped the stainless around the assembly. To disassemble, I'd need to bend all of the tabs of the stainless, and there's just no way that thin metal will ever go back on and look reasonable.

So I'm looking at securing from the front, into a blind, open hole. Not pretty, but there's a way... I'm confident.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Seminal Flu posted:

My first thought was to pull the door apart. They made that very difficult. There's an inside plastic liner , but underneath that is the door's metal frame, no way to get to the handle-securing area.

The second thought was to just replace the whole loving door, since they don't sell door parts. But at $250, screw that noise.

Third thought is to fill the hole with enough epoxy to shove the handle in there and hope it gets enough to grab. That seems a bit cavalier, though.

Fuckload of No More Nails between handle and door front.

Don't be subtle.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

spog posted:

Fuckload of No More Nails between handle and door front.

Don't be subtle.

I was thinking of something like that, but there's plastic inside the hole... what about using a plastic push connector glued inside the hole (I can cut it so that it goes in, but have the washer part expand when it goes through the hole), use some type of superglue to bond the plastics, and have the pin part of the push connector sticking out. Then, as a "step 2" use JB Weld or No More Nails or something, fill the cavity of the handle, then clamp it all together... I can see it in my head, I think it may work...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Rivnut?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

That's my thought as well.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Rhyno posted:

So. I still want an Evo. But maybe I should broaden my car buying horizons? Should I go back to the suggest a car thread? Or stick here and get the best feedback from you guys?

Test drive a bunch cars with no intention of buying them. Just go out and do it randomly and try not to get emotionally invested in them.

What kills me about Evo 8's and 9's (no idea if you're thinking 8/9/10) is that they don't even have cruise control. It's a dumb thing to nitpick but I use that poo poo all time. They just don't seem very friendly as a DD car for me at least. I drove one and they're fun as hell and quite nice. Back when a IX MR was new, at least. Now they're probably all ragged out.

Edit: double posting like a boss. Whoops

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seminal Flu posted:

There's got to be a way to do it without it looking like rear end.

Unless you are an elite guru, any solution involving liquid nails/jbweld/whatever always looks like rear end anyway... maybe I just suck with the stuff. I say get a nice chromed 1/4" carriage-bolt of appropriate length, tastefully and carefully countersink the head into the plastic handle, drill through the door and locktite a nice chrome acorn nut on the inside.

By that of course I mean butcher the poo poo out of the handle with a spade bit, curse and figure you'll just deal with it, shatter the glass while drilling through the door and curse some more, then buy a new microwave.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Personally, I'd go to Costco and see what they presently have in stock for microwaves :shobon:

Kitchen-Aid is a shadow of their former selves, they used to be decent quality stuff :(

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Oh that's cool, I'll have to watch out for those fiance would be amazed.

Attached vs detached doesn't matter at all but no one down here has a 4+ car attached in our price range. Even McMansions down here are lucky to have an oversized two car attached. We want an attached to park the daily drivers and have space for the gym stuff. Right now weights are garage, cardio is 2nd bedroom and we can't park daily drivers in the garage. With a 2nd garage I'd have a place for projects and the M-cars. Right now I have three in the garage and four cars outside which isn't ideal but I live in the country so no one complains.

I know selling off a bunch of cars would fix all this but that isn't likely to happen unless I leave the country
trying to decide if it's worth renting storage for a while to build a garage on a great home...if my insurance will even let me

Gotcha, makes perfect sense. You need the house a buddy of mine had up in North Scottsdale, but it was stupidly expensive I'm sure. He had a 4 car attached, with room to fully open the doors between every car even if they were all Expeditions, with 6'-8' in front and behind of said Expeditions, and the 4th bay was long enough to get a largish Scarab racing boat & trailer fully inside.

Oh, and in the backyard was the detached garage with a full workshop on the side with the office over it, and a 4 post lift easily fit in front of the Class A motorhome on the other side. I drooled a bit every time I went over there to work on something with him.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

gently caress it, I'm going to go buy myself a brand new car. I've had enough bad luck with used cars on Craigslist.

What year? It might be that main relay problem that seems to happen to just about every Accord at some point, something about one of the (circuit) boards getting too hot I think?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Name check

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Kazinsal posted:

Before you go full spectrum, why not consider replacing/resoldering the main relay. Its probably that or a fuel system problem.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Seminal Flu posted:

There's a plastic trim ring, but behind that is a big, multiple-layered primary metal/glass door. There's no reasonable way to get to the back side of the handle. It looks like they assembled it, then wrapped the stainless around the assembly. To disassemble, I'd need to bend all of the tabs of the stainless, and there's just no way that thin metal will ever go back on and look reasonable.

So I'm looking at securing from the front, into a blind, open hole. Not pretty, but there's a way... I'm confident.

JB weld a tree clip to the handle.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

redgubbinz posted:

What year? It might be that main relay problem that seems to happen to just about every Accord at some point, something about one of the (circuit) boards getting too hot I think?

MAIN RELAY is always the answer. Unless you have some newish Honda.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

freelop posted:

Just encountered an unexpected hazard whilst cycling at night.
Thought there was another bike ahead as I saw a red flash of light but when the beam became solid I saw it was someone shining a laser pen in my eyes. 15 mins later and I can still see dots

When I had this problem as a pedestrian, I just said loudly "sucks my only laser is attached to my pistol", and the light immediately went out and the laughter from a nearby house stopped very suddenly.

Funny that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

The car thread wouldn't be bad to ping ideas from but they're answer to almost everything is buy a Prius. Bounce the question around here too.

The real answer is M3. No care what year, but you want an M3. Just drive one and you'll understand. I don't know what Evos are going for these days but when I looked at them they were still LOLmoney expensive and while a pure driving car they seemed pretty terrible to live with. Check your insurance rates too. Even responsible old Rhyno could still be expensive. Since getting my E90 I can't think of what I will ever go to next. It will have to be a Porsche or a GT-R. I'll probably skip the Datsun because it's ugly. The Porsche doesn't offer much in the way of utility for me with having small kids. The M3 is everything I wanted it to be.
So I say M3 or a 996 Porsche 911 (turbo if you can swing it)

I don't even know what I want other than I loved driving that EvoX. But $27K might be a bit more than I want to drop on a Lancer, even if prices are dropping. I did check insurance, it's only like $15-20 more than I pay now so not the worst.

Edit: I looks like prices are leveling out. 08's can be had rather affordably with decently low miles. Kind of have my head aimed at a 2014 and those are at $27K or so. If i go through with it and sell both cars, with what I am able to save per check I will probably have $15K to throw down by April.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 17, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

mods plz namechange to FORTRAN'S RIGHTS

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Just spent 2 hours doing a wash and wax on my Mustang, which desperately needed it. I'll do the windows in the morning before C&C.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Enourmo posted:

mods plz namechange to FORTRAN'S RIGHTS

I was gonna use Twelve Years A [:|::] but decided it was way too obscure

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Enourmo posted:

mods plz namechange to FORTRAN'S RIGHTS FORESKIN'S RIGHTS

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
aren't evo IX still considered to be better than the X?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

aren't evo IX still considered to be better than the X?

I guess. I don't like the styling of the IX.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The IX is way too early naughties but without the cool earlier naughties Japanese look à la the skyline or Supra

Or STi even lol

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wants:

Power - I like the power of the MS6 I own, the Evo X I drove had more power on demand.
AWD - no real reason, my current car has it. as does the Evo.
4 door sedan - I like the usable back seat. I also like the shorter wheelbase of the EvoX.
Handling - I also own a Miata which is a joy to drive, it corners wonderfully. I was shocked by the superb handling of the Evo.
Aftermarket - the MS6 aftermarket blows. Not that I'm planning on modding the next car but the Evo aftermarket is huge.
Price - under 25K, closer to 20K would be ideal but that also means an older car.

I'm also not opposed to hatchbacks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
I note the reliability isn't a factor.
Get a legacy Gt wagon. The EJ257 aftermarket is loving hilarious, though you only have a few good suspension options.

Short wheels base? gently caress that. Snow drifting a long wagon is hilarious and easily controlled.

Or be boring and buy an evo and a flat billed hat.

Note: You have to put a front LSD in it. So good.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have lost track of the number of times my two Mazdas have broken over the last six years. I clearly give no fucks about reliability.

I am currently enjoying my life more than I have in a decade and I want to keep enjoying it, I'm not going to be young much longer, I want to have fun and have a blast driving something crazy.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I finished the floor in the new laundry room, new 97% furnace and a 3.5t AC are going in on Monday

Living without AC for the past two weeks has been quite the uh treat

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Sidebar:

I've decided that I want myself and my groomsmen to dress as the cast of Buckaroo Banzai for the wedding.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

My buddy's roommate has a many, many car show award winning evo that is meticulously maintained and babied. It still spends more time on jackstands than off. Its still pretty though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Long story short

I want a newer, smaller, faster car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Living without AC for the past two weeks has been quite the uh treat