Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The Cubs will be in first in the NL Central by the time June ends BOOK IT. :colbert:

mods please password reset Kevlar's account

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Paul Zuvella posted:

You heard it here first folks, Yankees are gonna overpay to rent Yu Darvish.

I'm excited to watch Gleyber Torres play for 7 different minor league systems in 7 different years, missing a ring every time and never actually panning out for anybody

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

shadok posted:

The guy who threw a can of beer at Hyun Soo Kim during the AL wildcard game last year finally came to court and plead guilty. He'll be sentenced later this month.

https://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2017/05/30/ken-pagan-pleads-guilty-to-throwing-beer-can-at-blue-jays-game.html

Didn't he say something like 'the truth will come out' or something weird insinuating he was being Silenced by Big Baseball? guess not

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Yeah but the Fly Ball Revolution is upon us! ALL BALLS IN THE AIR! RYAN SCHIMPF FOR GOD KING.

I'm eager for Aaron Judge (39.5%) to set the record for HR/FB% over 2006 NL MVP Ryan Howard (also 39.5%)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mike_V posted:

Everything is always about the Cubs though so Fly The W

the jordan is flying, followed by T W

the math checks out

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
no, nobody here actually thought he was shouting out the symbol of his old team's victory, don't be idiotic. it's a blue W in almost exactly the same font and made for a good photo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

people absolutely thought that though, lol

also lol

by 'here' I mean the front office, not SAS or twitter

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

the radio call of this is amazing, btw

http://m.mlb.com/video/v1454192483/must-c-classic-sano-starts-543-triple-play

Imagine being so loving ice cold that you can make a "should be three" call.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

Edinson Volquez has been doing a thing for eight innings now.

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/213252306/v94505183/historic-live-lookin

this should pop up for the ninth

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

I was telling Ice Fist about this and realized that Milwaukee actually has the lowest overall payroll in the MLB. They're looking pretty impressive as an overall organization right now.

counterpoint: gently caress the Brewers

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

counter-counterpoint: gently caress the Cubs and the entire bandwagon it's riding on right now.

You're cool though.

Everybody should love the crew of 10 twenty-somethings in front row seats right behind home plate, all wearing brand new gold-numbered jerseys and dabbing every time the camera gets anywhere near them

:thunk:

in reality the Brewers are doing it absolutely right and will almost certainly be competing to be the 2018 or 2019 team in the Royals-Cubs-Astros-2018 chain

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bawfuls posted:

Second NL ASG voting update is out. I don't know where to find that convenient graphic with all of it but Rizzo is no longer leading at 1B so good job baseball nerds

Heyward still in third among outfielders :c00l:

CATCHER
1. Buster Posey, Giants: 917,359
2. Willson Contreras, Cubs: 511,029
3. Yadier Molina, Cardinals: 478,406
4. Matt Wieters, Nationals: 300,980
5. Yasmani Grandal, Dodgers: 241,497

FIRST BASE
1. Ryan Zimmerman, Nationals: 670,671
2. Anthony Rizzo, Cubs: 657,702
3. Freddie Freeman, Braves: 401,982
4. Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs: 363,431
5. Matt Carpenter, Cardinals: 214,324

SECOND BASE
1. Daniel Murphy, Nationals: 1,149,130
2. Javier Baez, Cubs: 715,928
3. Brandon Phillips, Braves: 185,862
4. DJ LeMahieu, Rockies: 175,435
5. Kolten Wong, Cardinals: 171,848

THIRD BASE
1. Kris Bryant, Cubs: 895,752
2. Nolan Arenado, Rockies: 613,571
3. Justin Turner, Dodgers, 362,952
4. Anthony Rendon, Nationals: 295,369
5. Jedd Gyorko, Cardinals: 275,281

SHORTSTOP
1. Corey Seager, Dodgers: 604,783
2. Zack Cozart, Reds: 547,750
3. Addison Russell, Cubs: 537,688
4. Chris Owings, D-backs: 328,217
5. Trea Turner, Nationals: 323,751

OUTFIELD
1. Bryce Harper, Nationals: 1,459,235
2. Charlie Blackmon, Rockies: 979,961
3. Jason Heyward, Cubs: 498,079
4. Ben Zobrist, Cubs: 472,114
5. Matt Kemp, Braves: 457,586
6. Kyle Schwarber, Cubs: 423,394
7. Giancarlo Stanton, Marlins: 398,569
8. Marcell Ozuna, Marlins: 392,973
9. Yoenis Cespedes, Mets: 327,116
10. Dexter Fowler, Cardinals: 268,545
11. Jay Bruce, Mets: 245,634
12. Jayson Werth, Nationals: 236,367
13. Adam Duvall, Reds: 234,099
14. Yasiel Puig, Dodgers: 206,743
15. Ryan Braun, Brewers: 188,192

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

I wonder how much of a boost Harper got from the fight.

The article I grabbed those numbers from said he got like 550k since the last update and kind of hinted that the fight caused him to have a huge increase, which is hilarious.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Some Numbers posted:

What's the Ryan Braun story?

he's holding matt kemp's mvp hostage and sent a cut-and-pasted letter through the mail saying he will only give it back in exchange for a knapsack full of syringes and pills

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I don't defend him as a person, but dude can hit.

not when he's missing 100+ games due to injury he can't

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Pussy Boss posted:

Lol at that player for getting injured. What a loving loser ahahaha.

I don't think it's irrelevant to bring up his injury concerns over the past four seasons or so. OPS+ is an average stat so it is only impactful in the games he's able to play. I don't remember exactly when the PED event was so I was just looking from 2014 to present (couldn't remember how much of his 2013 was missed due to injury or suspension). 27 + 22 + 27 + 27 is a significant number of games per season to miss when you're supposed to be the big bat in the lineup.

his OPS+ has been fine but his highest bWAR in the past four seasons was 4.4 last season. His overall impact has definitely "fallen off big time" when he's sitting at 9.2 combined bWAR across the last 3 1/3 seasons

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He has 1,700+ PA's the last three years. He has a top 6 outfielder wRC+ with a minimum of 1700 PA's from 2014-2016. Only 25 other players have 1700+ PA's for the outfield position in that time period. (I know I know arbitrary cut off point in a sense, he plays a decent amount of time)

that's fine but we're talking about comparative performance for a single player. When healthy he is still an extremely impactful player but you can't just laugh off injury concerns, they add up

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
lol all I did at the start of this was say he can't hit when he's injured

as a joke, because you brought up OPS+ to prove that he is effective

the joke is: when he is hurt he literally can't swing a bat

jesus christ

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I don't think it's irrelevant to bring up his injury concerns over the past four seasons or so. OPS+ is an average stat so it is only impactful in the games he's able to play. I don't remember exactly when the PED event was so I was just looking from 2014 to present (couldn't remember how much of his 2013 was missed due to injury or suspension). 27 + 22 + 27 + 27 is a significant number of games per season to miss when you're supposed to be the big bat in the lineup.

his OPS+ has been fine but his highest bWAR in the past four seasons was 4.4 last season. His overall impact has definitely "fallen off big time" when he's sitting at 9.2 combined bWAR across the last 3 1/3 seasons

that's fine but we're talking about comparative performance for a single player. When healthy he is still an extremely impactful player but you can't just laugh off injury concerns, they add up

holy loving poo poo stop the presses

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Mike Schmidt said that Odubel Herrera can't be a guy that the Phillies can build around. This is possibly okay except that it's...

"because of a couple of things. First of all, it’s a language barrier. Because of that, I think he can’t be a guy that would sort of sit in a circle with four, five American players and talk about the game. Or try and learn about the game or discuss the inner workings of the game. Or come over to a guy and say, 'Man, you gotta run that ball out.' Just can’t be — because of the language barrier — that kind of a player."

:stare: Oh he kept going great

“He’s more of a sort of, play the game, allow his exuberance for the game to kind of spread around the team. I think the fans love him. He’s not afraid to do things that sort of irk the other team if you will, and you know what that is. I probably would hate him if I played against him because of his antics on the field, but he’s not afraid. He’s not afraid to do that. He’s learning to play a really good centerfield. They haven’t figured out where he needs to hit in the batting order yet. To answer your question, those are the reasons that I don’t think you can build a team around him. Now, I truly think he can hit second or first on a championship team. There’s no question about that.”

Ah yes, language barrier and antics on the field. good reasons mike schmidt

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The orange unis are amazing

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
"I thought he was really good," manager Don Mattingly said. "I think it was just the fourth out that you're asking him to get in the fifth was the big one. Once he punches out Jay there for the third out, we just weren't able to get the fourth one."

this is some A+ legit salt

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

iospace posted:

Yeah... it's one thing for umps to have different strike zones among them, but it's an entirely different thing when they aren't even nearly consistent about it.

we were down the third base line, so we couldn't see inside vs outside, but were in perfect position for low/high calls and nothing made any sense ever

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
what on earth do those announcers think it hit? It's in the middle of empty space.

edit: I love seeing "#Parks: 0" on hittrackeronline

http://hittrackeronline.com/hrdetail.php?id=2017_2103

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Intruder posted:

Kindly wait until the Astros actually have a championship before pulling the "You can't whine about your successful team" card :colbert:

No one tells the Mariners fans they can't be upset about their team because of 2001!

I look forward to the Astros winning 120 games and then losing to the Yankees in 5 in the ALCS.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

beejay posted:

Kyle Hendricks to the 10 day DL with right hand tendinitis. That's not good.

To make room for the random guy they called up, Brett Anderson goes on the 60-day. You lose some, you win some.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

cards might be firing matheny. they're hosting a conference to announce 'coaching changes'.

nooooooooooooooo

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Didn't Rocco Baldelli turn into a huge douche recently? I might be confusing him with Aubrey Huff

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
What's the rationale behind anybody other than Greene as the top pick, and if not him, why not Kyle Wright? Is it just the scarcity of SS for Lewis and the lefty nature of McKay?

Pretty solid talent at the top in any case, I just like the look of Greene a lot.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

cis autodrag posted:

It's pretty clear to me that he's saying because he's adopted he didn't literally grow inside her but that her heart (e.g. love and emotional support) is what grew him into the person he is. Or am I just getting wooshed on a run of deliberately disingenuous posts?

the joke is that babies don't grow in stomachs ;) But I agree that it's a really sweet sentiment

"Some dude jacked me and now his sperm is growing in my stomach." - Liz Lemon, pretending to be pregnant

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Jameson Taillon is starting tonight and that owns

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/21753540/v415093683/chcsf-schwarber-reaches-second-on-giants-miscue

"Schwarber doubled on pop-up to pitcher Peavy"

I do not believe this is the same game in which Peavy yelled at our beautiful beef mummy for being a perfect baby boy.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

I'm at least half of those.

I have reported you to donald trump for voter fraud, you're going to jail

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

When Schwarber did this people got mad

there is no actual comparison there

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

elentar posted:

Whatever else you might say about the Cardinals, you have to admit they know their crowd.
https://twitter.com/cardinals/status/875393730982821888

they sure do

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Kershaw is a loving treasure

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

The Walrus posted:

During the final week at the old Yankee Stadium, Hample gained worldwide recognition by catching home run balls on consecutive nights. On September 16, 2008, he made a leaping catch on a Jason Giambi home run and immediately celebrated with a goofy dance that was captured on TV. The following night, in nearly exactly the same spot in the right field bleachers, Hample reached far over a railing to make a backhanded catch on a Johnny Damon home run and celebrated with the same dance.[3] The Yankees' announcers recognized him from the previous game, and within the next 24 hours the story was covered by ESPN, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN International, Japanese TV, and many other media outlets. Yahoo! Sports initially acknowledged Hample's baseball-snagging skills, but did not know that it was he who had made the catches.[4]
Less than two weeks later, on September 28, 2008, Hample caught the last home run ever hit by a Mets player at Shea Stadium, this one off the bat of Carlos Beltrán.[5]

so when he isn't at baseball games, he's busy editing wikipedia

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Big Mean Jerk posted:

What was this? The tweet was deleted.

loving LOL

somebody from fangraphs responded to his tweet saying he was full of poo poo when he tried to backpedal and say it was a Joke This Whole Time, and Hample's response was basically like "HMMM I don't think your BOSSES at @fangraphs would like you SWEARING"

further proving that he's a dumb idiot tattletale child-murdering baby who should be banned from all baseball stadiums in the world, and also the world itself

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
flags fly forever

(that really sucks :( )

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
agreed but unironically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque