Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bluedeanie posted:

They sure seem to like feeding Ngannou beat up former champions coming off of bad losses.

Just a few years ago Cain and Junior were held up as MMA's Ali and Frazier, and now look at then both. It's really sad.

In that sense, it's a very accurate rendition of Ali/Frazier, just a few years early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not saying JDS is completely shot nor am I trying to say that he couldn't wreck probably more than half the current heavyweight roster without much trouble.

Francis Ngannou is a loving killer though that is bigger, stronger, and a lot younger than him, though. (just had to look it up and JDS is a few months older than me :suicide:)

To be fair, you've probably had fewer Dutchmen, Croatian-Americans and Mexican-Americans beat the poo poo out of you than him.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Fartbox posted:

Conor is going to make a fortune on Floyd and is going to retire forever

He is going to make more in that fight than you will make in your entire lifetime

Yeah, but the amount I make won't be dependent on me being humiliated in public on the largest stage possible.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Marching Powder posted:

I hope the lines on ngannou / jds are close so I can put money on the technically sound striker instead of the relatively new guy whose main attribute is 'strong'. I learned from hunt / Lewis that this is quite a good strategy.

I don't know, JDS tended to depend a fair bit on his physical attributes when he was coming up, being insanely fast and strong, and much lighter on his feet than a 6'3 240 pound should be.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

They offered him Ray Borg on Fox or FS1 (no points) and then they decided that fighting TJ would be a bigger fight and on a PPV (with points). He doesn't want to fight TJ:

According to DJ, he wouldn't get PPV points, that was one of the reasons he turned it down.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Bro hate all you want but being Conor mcgregor freshly off a knockout loss to mayweather is def less humiliating than posting on something awful dot com irl, lol

Yeah, but no one reads this poo poo. At least a couple of people will watch McGregor flail around like an idiot.

It's weird that anyone is thinking that anyone other than Dana 'cutting the entirety of AKA for video game likenesses' White is being a stubborn, pigheaded idiot.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ah. I misremembered. Fair enough.

Still, doing it for performance based bonuses that are largely dependent on the employer are bullshit. That's true whether it's retail or professional fighting. Promising PPV points to a fighter you refuse to promote is essentially promising money you know you won't have to pay.

"There's a guaranteed bonus if TJ Dillawshaw turns into a dragon more than 36 hours but less than 48 hours before the fight."

This thread: loving DUCK, JUST TAKE THE DEAL, YOU CAN GET A BONUS.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 30, 2017

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

DJ should have taken the Dillashaw fight.

It's not right they screw him and that they're basically his puppet masters but not taking it, reasons justifiable as they are, makes him look like a wuss who only wants his record.

Hey, if that becomes the consensus about him, at least, now, there is a consensus about him. Instead of the general public being unsure that he exists.

Also, the people that hate him (who are bizarrely numerous and vocal) didn't need this to hate him. This just becomes the latest thing they finish the sentence 'I was beginning to respect him until X' with. As if, if this hadn't happened, they would totally be a fan now.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

tesilential posted:

Look guys, I get it. You want the dweeb whose been stepped on his whole life to get a win over the Man. I was never a big Anderson fan, and always wanted MM to break the record, but not like this. Not Ray Borg.

whatev tho, not my stylo but props to MM for the elite ducking

A reminder that when Andy set the record, he did it against noted world beater Yushin Okami. When he set the record for consecutive wins, he did it against Stephan Bonnar.

tesilential posted:

It'd be like if mcgregor cleaned our LW, then exchamp Woodley drops down and McGregor demands to fight Ross Pearson instead.

Actually, it'd be more like if he suggested that he fight Woodley, they turned him down and instead gave him Ross Pearson, then Lawler came along and they tried to strong arm Conor into fighting Lawler instead. Then called him a coward and a bunch of people here decided to inexplicably trust Dana White.

• Locked thread