Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I did the thing and got an Xbox one x/rdr2 by trading in my Xbox one s. Can anyone explain to me why The Most Powerful Home Console Available still has a garbage UI that suffers from extreme lag issues and general unresponsiveness? The UI on my PS4 is pretty bad too, but it at least it doesn't lag out constantly when multitasking.

e: My assumption is that I guess MS needs to make like 90 percent of that GDDR5 RAM available for making sure the desktop ads load right away rather than make a pleasant end user experience.

e2: Apparently all the game updates were stored on the internal hd and not the external hd where the actual games were? And now have to be redownloaded? What in the absolute gently caress?

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

owls or something posted:

It might be the separate 4K enhanced updates auto downloading since it's an X.

No I have it set to not download those because I don't have a 4k tv yet. I dunno it's just kind of aggravating, I moved everything over to the external HD to try and avoid all this poo poo.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You can’t opt out from downloading 4K assets on an X, you are forced to get them regardless of your TV. They made downloading the 4K assets optional on the original specifically to prep their data for getting an X later, it’s not actually used on the non-X models for anything else.

Huh. The more you know. Wish I had heard of that before doing that. Oh well, aside from Forza 4 everything else has worked like a charm despite needing additional updates. Forza 4 just doesn't work and I'll probably have to reinstall for whatever reason.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bloodplay it again posted:

I just bought an X from Costco and RDR2 from Best Buy. The outside of the box has an Xbox game pass code underneath a sticker but there was a different code inside the box too along with a 14-day XBL pass. Anyone know if I can redeem them both for 2 months of game pass? I'm waiting to redeem them until after I've burned myself out of RDR2 or else I'd just try both codes and answer my own question. The side of the box says it only includes 1 month of game pass so I don't understand why I have two different codes.

Well at least the one I tried to redeem (the one on the big wasteful piece of cardboard) was only for "new customers" so gently caress me for expecting a month of game pass for buying a 500 dollar console I guess. Definitely use that one first because the game pass codes I got from PAX were stackable, so maybe the one under the sticker is?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bloodplay it again posted:

I caved while waiting for RDR2 to install and claimed the codes. Claimed the first month and got another month for setting up a recurring payment. The second one (the one on the outside of the box) gave me an error saying the code had already been redeemed but I got an email 30 min later saying my next recurring payment isn't until May 2019 so I guess everything worked somehow.

Well that's a hell of a long two free months. I find the codes being for new customers only kind of lovely but I guess :capitalism:

All I know is I'm going to be very sad when game pass runs out and I need to drop real money on Forza 4, because I sure as hell am not going without it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

You can keep paying for gamepass or dont forget to buy FH4 before it expires because gamepass gives you a discoint on it.

I know I can keep paying for it but it would essentially be paying a subscription for a single game. Thanks for the reminder about the discount though, I should definitely remember to purchase it while I can get the discount.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

No my Pro + X are on a 4K TV but I have a smaller 720p TV downstairs with a Bone S and a regular PS4. But RDR2 on Xbox One S on said setup still looks great.

Univbee, his cup runneth over

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

incoherent posted:

Both Origins and odyssey look fantastic on the X. It will be interesting what a non-great recession grade cpu/gpu will do next gen.

I certainly applaud your optimism.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

Maybe we'll finally start improving draw distances

And god willing that extra draw distance will be used for the next iteration of Desert Bus.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
People still stanning for the Fisher Price console UI I see. At this point I would actually accept it as an alternative to the cluttered laggy mess we have now though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
It's been extremely worth it for Forza Horizon 4 alone, imo. I just spent my first real dollars on gamepass for another month even though I'm a bit sucked into RDR2 atm. I expect when I'm done with story I'll go back to Forza 4 and Destiny until RDR Online comes out at least.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Over There posted:

Seas of Thieves looks cool but I've heard bad things

I tried it for like ten minutes but I didn't have any friends to play with and I don't currently have a functioning mic that works with my xbox so I don't think I got a very good impression of what it has to offer. But I thought character customization was whack as hell for a game like that. The aesthetics sure are charming but I didn't get much else out of it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got Sunset Overdrive for free over a year ago and still haven't played it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Its so painful. Even for a r* game theres just so many stupid ways to fail some of these missions that im in awe

So I was doing a mission where you have to lead swimming horses to shore. If you are a cool dude who plays only with a compass and no minimap like me, you hear someone say "mount one of the three horses," and so I went to the nearest horse and mounted it. Thirty seconds later I get a Fission Mailed message saying "you let the horses drown."

Turns out that there's specific horses you need to lead and the game doesn't give you that info unless you're using the mini map.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
An underrated thing I appreciate about the Xbox One, especially compared to my PS4, is that I can eject a disc without turning the system on. Namaste.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Beastie posted:

I really would like to see a proper X enhanced GTAV. I know it won't look as good as RDR2 but drat is Los Santos beautiful with all the reflected lights.

And I know we'll likely never get it.

Fortunately you can play GTAV on a high end PC and it's pretty much everything you would hope for. I'm stoked to double dip for RDR2 PC if and when it happens.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

lol no, PC online is a disaster with hackers in virtually every session and everyone is flying around in Mk II Oppressors because some hacker gifted them $100 million at some point. It's a completely different, worse experience.

That's not been my experience because I've generally stuck with playing with goons. Either way the single player is far better on PC also, where you can crank the bells and whistles as far as your vram will take you and run at 60+ fps.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

You're going to be so jealous of my rocket horse.

Yeah, the only TVs made anymore are in 4K, right? Or at least 1080p, right?

Oh.

What is this, a TV for ants???

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

univbee posted:

It’s a TV for aunts :v:

I like this guy.

I wish I had the extra cash to dump into a big nice tv but all my electronics budget went into my last PC + gsync monitor. No regrets (when RDR2 comes to PC anyway).

For the most part I'm actually really happy with my ten year old LG 1080p tv, and now that I have a one x the supersampling of games that run in 4k means no jaggies ever. Like I'm not even sure RDR2 on PC would look as good without cranking costly aa options.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Also Costco has a pretty drat good 4k TV with HDR for like 270 right now so :shrug:

:eyepop:

Whaaaaaaa? I had written off upgrading to 4k anytime soon but that's totally doable at that price.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Let me see if I can find it. Someone in the Costco thread was asking about it and it was a killer deal.

Is it the 55 inch TCL? it showed up sorting for lowest price on the website but it's warehouse only and wouldn't show me the actual price.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

TheScott2K posted:

The Xbone and PS4 came out five years ago. Realistically, there won't be another gen shift for another 2, and with most of what we're playing being better-looking 360 games with worse business models it's possible they hold off longer. If you don't have a console and see a decent BF deal on a base PS4 or Xbone loving buy one.

Yeah if it weren't for the RDR2 Xbone deal at gamestop and the fact that I had an s to trade in I wouldn't have a bone right now and I'd probably be happy enough playing it on the s, but that deal was really just too good to pass up.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah

https://www.costco.com/TCL-55S423-55%22-Class-(54.6%22-Diag)-4K-UHD-Roku-LED-LCD.product.100466575.html

Should be that one. I didn't see the price my self but some other goon said that was the price.

Its as good of a deal as you get outside of black friday and fighting people for a drat TV.

It gets decent reviews too.

Awesome, thanks. My biggest concern with upgrading from the TV I have is input lag, because the one I have was recommended for gaming specifically based on low input lag.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK most TVs have a game mode now which makes that a non issue.

The last time I bought a tv "game mode" was just lovely calibration settings with the fake 120hz mode that produced shitloads of artifacting. And iirc input lag was one reason the Samsung KS8000 was the go to 4k tv for gaming.

I wish Video Only had game consoles for demo purposes.

For 270 bucks though I would probably take that chance regardless though.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I've been dog and cat sitting for my mom and playing RDR2 over at her place on a 65" tv and her og Xbone and for all the fuss digital foundry made over the x version being so much better than any other version, it looks and plays just fine. The difference is so slight between it and playing on the x at home that anyone who gets that worked up about it is an idiot.

e: Although I have a hard time telling if people who say the s is a waste of money and to buy an x (200 more god drat dollars) are like, joking or if people are really that goony in 2018.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

You should be encouraging half generation upgrades because the OG One was trash and it brings a lot of new people into the Xbox ecosystem like myself who didn't want to buy the One despite owning an original Xbox and Xbox 360 at launch. As soon as the X came out I sold my PS4 Pro and came back. Well... after God of War.

Sure but the S is fine as a half generation upgrade and there's no need to push people into getting the X because of a couple pixels. I'm happy with the X but it's definitely a splurge rather than a must have over a perfectly good S.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fishmech posted:

The S isn't a half gen upgrade lmao. It's a kludge on the existing Xbone to add in support for the 4k output/those UHD Blu-Ray very few people buy. Like the slim revisions of the ps3/360 it's essentially a little faster by accident as a result of fixing other issues.

Nobody should be spending full price on an S by now, flat out.

No one is talking about buying anything at full price here. What is your deal anyway?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I like my PS4 and all, but I think I care more about Forza than any PS4 exclusive. Of course, you can now get both Forza AND Yakuza games on PC so :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I can only play Skate 3 on the xbone which means it's the best console by default but it still sucks pretty bad at anything besides playing xbox360 games.

Now let us play the superior Skate 2

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:whitewater:

even skate 1 is better than 2

Whoa, that's a weird opinion. :shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Huh, in case anyone didn't notice they just added an Xbox rewards app and it gameifies a lot of poo poo about Microsoft rewards. If nothing else it seems like it might prove to be an opportunity to perpetually earn free months of game pass. I just had enough points for a free month by buying RDR2 digitally for one, and there's a monthly goal that involves playing game pass games that will earn you 5000 points for a trivial amount of effort, which is close to another free month of game pass via rewards. I got 500 points from playing RDR2 also.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Barudak posted:

Those dont exist physical anymore either. All you get now is a case made of plastic pressed to the thinnest it can be while still capable of supporting the weight of a single disc.

RDR2 gave you a physical map, even in the basic edition, and there's a full, helpful manual accessible both in the game menu itself and available in a separate app. That seems like an acceptable compromise to me, except for the part where they have two discs on a single spindle knowing that the Xbox can be finicky about discs for their DRM.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

drunkill posted:

A new xbox one?

The fourth Xbox One console...

Is removing a disk going to save them millions in manufacturing costs? WHy bother when the console will be replaced in 2020... surely they have a ton of stock left for Xbone OG, Xbone S and Xbone X.

I'm not sure about the OG Xbone. I'm sure there are lots of new available online but I haven't seen them stocked new in physical stores in a while. Although it's possible MS has a big ol ET-esque pile of them somewhere I suppose.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

fishmech posted:

The original Xbox One models are officially discontinued since the Xbox One X came out. They only manufacture the S and X these days.

Yes but they never really sold all that well so in theory there'd be a lot of stock still sitting around somewhere, right? I mean I can't imagine they undermanufactured expecting it to flip or anything.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Zat posted:

To be fair, Blu-ray discs are incredibly scratch resistant, so multiple discs on a single spindle is even less of an issue than with DVDs.

Tell that to my Xbox One X that shat itself and refused to acknowledge the disc literally the second time I tried to play RDR2. The disc had been removed from its case exactly one time.

I mean I know they're scratch resistant but wtf Microsoft?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Did you play the other two? Its the same thing but with more stealth swimming

It actually has substantially less combat than either Rise or the 2013 game, so in the end I actually found it a lot less satisfying. Ymmv

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Rirse posted:

Thank you that what I need. I probably try to replicate the Bully case for them.

That sounds like a neat project. If they turn out well please post some pics in here for us to check out.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Has anyone else been using the new Rewards app? Trying to complete the 5000 point punch card and my cheevos don't seem to be registering despite me playing the games that are specifically listed. I know it says tracking can be delayed by several days but the 500 point RDR2 one pretty much popped instantly. Just wondering if anyone else has had any luck getting it to register. I'd love another free month of game pass.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Can someone tell me why THE MOST POWERFUL HOME GAMING CONSOLE has difficulty trimming down a two minute video into a ten second clip? This is not a problem my PS4 has and it's really frustrating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RBX posted:

I can't find what you're talking about. Where is it?

Dang I didn't see your post until just now. So the most recent update added a "Microsoft Rewards" app to the Xbone and the app has a number of "quests" and poo poo to do that can earn you points. Currently there's a 5000 point quest featuring game pass games of various types that tasks you with earning achievements in various game pass games. This is fairly significant because you can use points to purchase, for instance, another month of game pass, which iirc is something like 6200 points.

Since I posted that though, three of the cheevos have registered so it does appear to have a two or three delay between unlocking the various achievements and the rewards app registering them as completed.

I recommend looking for it in your apps if you have/are interested in game pass.