Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Can someone please, using only facts and no hyperbolic comedy tricks, give me the most optimistic but actually possible take on why it would be beneficial to buy the XboneX?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have an xbox one, a ps4, and a passable PC typically used for blizzard and indie steam games.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have a 4k TV, yeah. I'd be more likely to upgrade a console than my pc simply because my wife also uses the consoles and they're in a more social/comfortable space.

I'm in no rush, so waiting is definitely good advice. My issue is that this sort of mid-gen console upgrade, which may become the norm I guess, is incredibly opaque. Is it like upgrading your PC with all the performance benefits that entails? Or is it more like watching a pretty display on a curved TV at Best Buy that's using specific video techniques that you're never going to see in your real life?

"Wait and see" is the obvious approach but I was wondering if any news from E3 or w/e indicated devs will actually design on a spectrum to take advantage of the better specs.

Of course I am more likely to get the ps4 pro anyway unless the X is really clearly performing better.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Not about the Xbonx but can someone give me a general Xbox One answer?

I haven't tried the Play Anywhere feature until now. I have Cuphead and Shadow of War on my bone. On my PC, if I find Cuphead in the store, it has the "Install" button, but SoW only has "Buy". Only thing I can think of is Cuphead is a digital purchase, but SoW is a disc. I think the disc buy should still work right? If I load the Xbox app on my PC, it even shows I've played SoW but linking to the game page shows "Buy".

edit: looks like it's digital only. The top google answer is really misleading. That's DUMB!

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 11, 2017

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Outer Worlds on gamepass is enough to get me to subscribe now. Question: When looking at gamepass UI, if it has the Xbox and PC icon under a single title, that means it can cross save, right? And if it's two separate items, one with PC icon and one with Xbox, then it can't cross save?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I thought outer worlds was a boring/rote rehash of much better games and systems. It completely justified gamepass for me because I would have bought that dumb game otherwise.

I loved RDR2 but it was for the amazingly detailed and fun world not the plot. Rockstar needs to find a way to update their mission structure to match the worlds they build. I’m not exactly sure how either.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Bad Parenting posted:

Going into 'next-gen' I just can't see any rationale for why you would by an Xbox. It has zero games you can't get somewhere else, and multiplat game will realistically run pretty much the same as the PS5 if not worse because devs will target the leading system. Gamepass has less games on it than PSnow. All the studios Microsoft bought up will take years to produce anything.

Meanwhile the PS5 has got a whole new Spider-Man game and demon souls at launch. Why would any sane person buy an Xbox after all the gently caress ups in the last 7-8 years?

Is PSnow actually good? This is the first I've ever seen it named better than gamepass. I've got a ton of value out of gamepass across pc/bone so that's prob the biggest reason I'm getting the new xbox.

really though, it barely makes any sense to buy either of the new consoles for at least a year. I'm doing it because it's basically the only hobby I spend money on.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got it from gamestop, a company I haven't purchased from since being a teenager (they suck), because they actually buffered the people accessing the site. Still took forever and this was after Walmart and Target let me go through checkout to tell me they were sold out. What a shitshow, feels like we should be better at this by now.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
This is probably a stupid question, but I was looking at games and noticed something I don't understand. Let's take the new Assassin's Creed for example.

You can buy it for PS4 OR PS5, but only one "Xbox", which says both "Xbox One" and "Xbox Series X" on the box.

What does that mean exactly? Does the disc identify which system I'm on and flip it to Series X mode? Sort of like how some games are XBX enhanced or not.

And if that's the case, why doesn't it work the same for playstation?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Thanks for the explanations. I see the 'smart delivery' text on the box now. I feel like they could have come up with a better term for this. Amazon's UI isn't helping here either.

I noticed Miles Morales could be bought on PS4 or 5, but 4 actually comes with the code for 5 instead of being automatic. And the saves transfer.

Altogether it's a confusing purchasing experience.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My elite controller is a piece of poo poo. LB was always lose and now it drifts up. It was an Xmas gift and I didn’t buy it myself or I’d be even madder about it.

My joycons also got the drift (to the left this time) and Nintendo agreed to replace it but they were going to be gone for weeks and I wanted it for a long plane trip (this was a while ago) so I ended up buying another pair anyway.

In short, gently caress this gen’s controllers and I hope the next Xbox one is good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Our sex toys charge in wired ports, then run out of battery at extremely inconvenient times, much like this thread’s DS4 controllers.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My favorite part of the PS4 UI is when I get a trophy and think: hmm I wonder what what was for? And then immediately regret pressing the button since it takes 75 years to load the trophy UI and then the individual text itself.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Plenty of gamepass games are playable across pc/console with cloud saves. It would be a nice if it was extended to purchased games, since they could just use the windows store like gamepass does. Theres probably enough weirdos buying the same game on 2 platforms to discourage that tho.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Until some other developer starts semi-faithfully recreating historical settings, I'll keep buying them.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I got my ‘coming soon, we gonna charge you’ email from GameStop today, which at a week out seems normal and makes me think it will actually arrive.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My gamestop order is "ready to be shipped soon" with an arrival date of Nov 9th. Wonder if it will really come early. Assuming yes if people are already seeing theirs ship.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When has a console ever been as powerful as a good PC? Isn't that video card more expensive than the series x itself?

edit: hella beaten

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Zerot posted:

TrueAchievements is rolling out a new feature.

https://twitter.com/TrueAchievement/status/1324697168045838336

It seems pretty neat, kind of like their decade in review thing from the beginning of the year.

Here's mine. Very cool! (Though I did not play 35 days of Peggle 2)

I love data. This is cool.

Here's mine:

https://www.trueachievements.com/my-xbox-story/79540

While I loved Mega Man 9 and MM is still my avatar, I absolutely did not play it for 429 days.

It doesn't have the date on my rarest 360 achievement (Mirror's Edge Chapter 7 speedrun) but I 100% remember beating that bullshit time trial. Sweaty in my parent's basement, hell yeah. Can't wait to revisit my xbox story on my deathbed.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Mine says it's arriving tomorrow (Grapevine, TX-> SF, CA) but Fedex hasn't actually received the box yet, so I have my doubts.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My wife and her siblings were looking for one for my brother-in-law for Xmas so 12/23 is just fine. Thanks for flagging that goons.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I received mine and am getting back to work while AC: Valhalla downloads its 46 gig "upgrade".

I'm not sold on the design. It's not ugly or anything but it won't fit sideways in my TV stand, making it a very obvious presence in the living room. Unlike the tried and true VCR design we've had for years that is basically invisible. Obelisk gonna watch us watch TV. I'm going to have to move it behind my TV or something. Going to be awkward as hell if this is the console design going forward.

It's funny-- I ordered this from Gamestop because it was the only retailer I could read on preorder day. I hate Gamestop! But the order and delivery process was flawless.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Storm One posted:

Why? 30fps has been the standard target for more than a decade and will probably remain that way this new gen as soon as the initial wave of remakes and upgraded last gen versions subsides.

I'm curious if this is gonna really happen for the X. Because if we spend a year playing bone and crossover gen games at 60fps, it's going to feel like poo poo playing a 'next gen' game at 30 FPS unless the visuals otherwise look really, really good.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Earlier in the thread I mentioned I wasn’t sold on the series X design. I warmed to it a bit and then yesterday my PS5 came and it’s such a hideous monstrosity that my opinion of the featureless black box dramatically increased.

That said, the PS5 has system wide Y axis inversion while the SX does not and Microsoft can get hosed.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve had very few performance issues with Valhalla but the game is buggy as gently caress and I’ve had to google my way to exploiting 3 different bugged quests.

Edit: it’s fun tho

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I had a weird system-wide glitch on my XSX.

I was playing No Mans Sky and the connection between my controller and system cut out. I couldn't get it to resync and tried my 2nd controller, which couldn't connect at all. Restarting did nothing. I had to unplug the Xbox and turn it on again to get the controllers to connect.

It was a pain in the rear end and NMS is stingy with saving so I lost 15 minutes of base cleanup.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I suppose I’m glad everyone is having the same issue as me. It’s prob not a busted Xbox then.

Taking out the batteries didn’t work for me either. It was like the entire syncing mechanism was stuck until it restarted (and no syncing was necessary).

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
7/10’s are perfect for gamepass. There’s always a few I think are way better than their average but now I don’t have to pay full price to find out.

I played through Donut County yesterday and it was great. Another game I would be unlikely to purchase outright.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
No Man's Sky runs like rear end on XSX. The pop-in is unbelievable and sometimes textures don't load when they're directly in my face. I just had this 100% crash I wasted 15 minutes getting around (froze every time I tried to land anywhere near a mission objective). Then, it would always crash on load a 2nd time after I killed the game lol. I had to blast off to a different system and come back. I think the game couldn't handle loading in all the buildings/plants/minerals + the weather system hitting it at the time.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

That’s awful to hear, I was really hoping the new machines would be what that game needed to run well. It was soooo bad on PS4 Pro. The low FPS and FOV were genuinely nauseating.

The FPS is usually fine (other than the loading screen anyway). It’s the textures and pop in.

I’m actually having fun with it though. Feels like a version of this game made 10 years in the future is gonna own.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I don't care what you call it-- games that make a story beat of 'actually killing is bad' after I've already killed 2000 people (and probably received 5 gamerscore for it) will never stop being stupid. Death Stranding doesn't apply for this, since it would be dumb to use real guns. The existence of guns highlights how dumb they are to use. The game allows you to be dumb.

At the same, I do not need an in-universe explanation of why the Resident Evil characters can survive being bit by a zombie or a scientific expose on what a healing spell actually does. FPS heroes should continue to reload partial clips at inhuman speeds. Those are mechanics that make the game playable.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I have to use Teams for work and it's actually OK now. Or maybe I was just traumatized by what it was before and anything seems like a big improvement.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Bardeh posted:

Are those...good GWGs? :popeye:

Who else is excited for The Ascent tomorrow? Game looks sick

Def gonna give it a shot. Whatever you call the twin stick shooter hack and slash genre owns. I might play it on PC though since I got a new laptop and want to try it out.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Destructoid has a review in progress of the Ascent and sounds good so far: https://www.destructoid.com/review-in-progress-the-ascent/

Destructoid posted:

Screenshots don’t do the visuals in this game justice; this is a game you absolutely have to see in motion. From the very moment I started exploring the underbelly of this cyberpunk world, I was instantly reminded of Final Fantasy VII‘s opening bombing run and the immense interiors of Shinra. Much like I did back then, I spent way longer than anyone should in The Ascent simply gawking at everything. Watching the moving parts and things flying by, the lighting, and various vents spewing out god knows what.

[...]

To summarize, it’s essentially a twin-stick shooter with RPG elements — leveling, attribute points, and so forth — with some added verticality. You can duck and cover behind objects at any moment while also aiming your gun at different heights. So, for example, if you’re ducking behind cover, you can aim your weapon over it and continue blasting fools or even straight-up aim for their heads while standing out in the open. This mechanic constantly keeps you hyper-aware of your surroundings and looking for objects to get behind before getting into a firefight.

It's not a full review since he can't play co-op yet. Also, there is definitely jank.

edit: and RPS: https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-ascent-review

They repeat the visuals are stunning but have some issues with the gameplay. Also this in response to the thread's Diablo comparions:

RPS posted:

But if you're expecting The Ascent to play like Diablo with guns, I can confirm that this is very much not the case. You can't just waltz into battle like Optimus Prime and rinse everyone with bullets and thunder. This is a difficult game, where ducking behind cover and dodge-rolling are crucial to staying alive. And it's particularly important you remember to stagger aggressive enemies by "shooting high". Right click while shooting and you'll aim for the head, not only letting you poke your gun above cover, but also preventing charging baddies from getting on your case too quickly.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 29, 2021

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Ascent looks great on Series X. Started off fun and was exactly what I wanted but then it way slowed down in that first town which takes forever to get around in (game needs a sprint button badly). I selected the waypoint for a recommended level 2 sidequest. It brought me to level 12-20 enemies who promptly annihilated me. Then forced me to run all the way back to town. That wasn't so great.

Also the text is TINY... I maxed the subtitles text and it's fine now but still small considering that's max. Doesn't help the other text.

Looking forward to getting back to into it, but I want action not running around town looking for poo poo.

Also... auto reload requires you to lay off the trigger to happen. Need to get used to that.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
My Series X controller doesn't work with the Ascent on PC for some reason. It allows me to select my account with the controller and it shows the button prompts on the game itself, but they don't work. Only kb/m works and since I started on the console I want to use the controller.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Zerot posted:

Have you rebooted? I had this happen to me in a different game a week or so ago and a reboot fixed it. I chalked it up to a Windows 11 hiccup at the time.

Yeah... I went to try a different game (Doom) to confirm it worked on other games. I needed to update my drivers and restart for Doom, which now works perfectly with the controller. Ascent still won't acknowledge controller inputs after.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Blue Raider posted:

Man the Ascent is hard to play. Not gameplay difficulty - just the map, menu, slow movement, small text, objective markers etc.

This game needs another couple of runs through the UX machine.

For how good the game looks the UX is nightmarish. I refuse to engage with choosing armor or bothering to try and read the text in the top left.

Unfortunately I must engage with the train/map/objective system.

Bummer because the game is quite fun and I’m having a great time when not wrestling with those things.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
The map / navigation killed The Ascent for me. I had about 20 minutes to kill before I had to meet my wife somewhere... turned on the game and spent 80% of that slow-running. What a drat waste of a beautiful game with fun enough gameplay.

Now I'm installing Atomicrops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Downloaded Curse of the Dead Gods on a whim last night and it was pretty fun for the hour I played it. Not all that original (slay the spire's map, dead cell's weapon system) but super polished. Gamepass is a trove of roguelikes, platformers, and metroidvanias that I never once heard of but are a great time for a week or two. Makes me wonder how many worthwhile games I've missed in the past because they never pick up any steam.