Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Apple are historically a lot more of a hardware company than Microsoft, but gaming is a weird space where you need to do both software and hardware pretty well.

Also, they have a lot of investment in silicon, but nothing that's really great for top end gaming I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Due to inflation I assume we're going to start getting AAAAA games.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

syntaxfunction posted:

I shudder to think how many As the Sonic franchise has if it's due to inflation.

Not sure about this, let me just do a quick Google.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Does anyone here work in the software development business? I have limited experience in it but from what I can tell all problems go back to “agile”. Hey let’s build a boat! Go ahead and launch it, it technically floats so we’ll just sail it while building it. And every two weeks we’ll change direction based on the whims of people not on the boat!

maybe waterfall was worse idk

Nah agile is just one manifestation of a greater problem. I would even say it makes more sense in software than any other setting (though games are a bit different, right - you're not so much solving a problem as you are making an entertainment product).

lines
Aug 18, 2013

I'm pretty happy with my PS5 purchase last year, but it isn't really a great sign that they're saying this. Guess it's just the nature of consoles really. I can't believe the Switch is still going through!

Honestly if I was Microsoft I am not sure I would *want* to stay in the console market per se.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

In many ways, isn't disappointing Timdog securities fraud?

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Volte posted:

They aren't releasing any new entries in major existing franchises in 2024, which basically means no new Spider-Man game, no new God of War game, and no new Last of Us game.

Are these all PS exclusives? I kinda assumed Spider-Man was cross-platform.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Spider-Man is sony royalty

Oh poo poo yeah I forget that Sony, the company that sold me a machine for playing JRPGs, is also Sony, the people who made Madame Web. Wild.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

If carts just become physical license keys and you have to also download the game that will probably work for Nintendo.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

John F Bennett posted:

Emulation is the way to preserve video games. Ultimately it will be the only way. Your precious discs will crumble to dust eventually, as will you.

I've got bad news for you about the storage media for those emulators and ROMs.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

ColdPie posted:

Final Fantasy 14 hit Xbox last week, though only for newly registered players until the full release in a month or two. There's a free trial that lets you go through all the content except the last couple expansions, I think. I've been playing it, plays great.

Quite interested in the takes on this from XBox gamers who haven't played it before (I'm a keen fan of it on the PC and the PS5). Looking forward to many new people joining Eorzea.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Mp2 I adore but I thought AW2 completely shat the bed in the final act

Sad! AW2 was a masterpiece which only grows the more I think about it.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Seemed consistent with the rest of the game to me.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

To be fair, the Alan Wake 2 ending is only really good if you then re-play NG+ for the actual ending.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

To be fair I had a month in-between the original release and NG+, and that worked well.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

That was one of the post game missions iirc. You’re delivering coffee and mail to the same 24 desks for like 10 minutes and I want to yell at the devs every time I hit that bit.

If you did it for ten minutes, you kinda sucked. The whole point is you don't need to do it for that long.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

OK I can't argue with that.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

The PS Portal is a lovely looking device that is as far as I'm concerned useless, so I hope they don't do that. An actually portable XBox would be very cool though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lines
Aug 18, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

If they're no longer following the subsidized console model, they can adjust prices to sell hardware at a profit. If they do that there's no reason for the Xbox to not be a PC with a Xbox mode, with the brand finally completing the transition to becoming a software/store ecosystem that's part of a greater whole, offering far more flexibility (with a broader amount of hardware options, desktop PCs, set top boxes, laptops, handhelds) with a much broader library than Sony could possibly offer. The Series consoles become the set top boxes, a way to play PC/Xbox games with a gamepad-oriented interface.

I have zero interest in buying an Xbox as is, but one that runs my Steam games? That'd get me to buy one, but the only way that can practically happen is if the Xbox were updated to run Windows software, since I doubt Valve is as desperate as EGS is to agree to a marketing deal that drives people away from their storefront.

Presumably the XBox could run Windows software in a similar manner to the way that the Steam Deck does, without running Windows? MS have a lot of expertise in-house on virtualization stuff as well. So it feels feasible, at least.