Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I still hunger for Nazi blood, but for now will also accept real world Nazi tears about a 36 year old franchise about shootin Natzis. Please tell me I can also murder those loving bed sheet wearing KKK members as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Wolfenstein was preparing us for the future. We let up on our Nazi killing and look what happened!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

AnElegantPeacock posted:

I don't want them to take this series back to space. The Nazis were also obsessed with tunneling. Maybe we could get like a giant techno-occult cathedral built into a hollowed out mountain.

I am going to kill Nazis IN THE CENTER OF THE GODDAMN EARTH by kicking them right into molten blood of our world! Wasn't there supposed plans about the Nazis building a doomsday weapon that was just nuke the core?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

mllaneza posted:

"There are a lot of things you can do with a hatchet and a Nazi."

Game Design 101 right there, that's the good stuff.

And the Klan ? I want bad guys in white robes with guns to shoot at.

I'll be honest here, I'd have more fun killing Klansfucks when they're sniveling on the floor going "I'm not German, please don't kill me" or "we were just removing the garbage of America until a great white savior like you came". I also hope they have special death animations for being burned while also under their dumb robes.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

poptart_fairy posted:

It is encouraged to take a stand against Nazis and racists.

It's getting a little weird when you guys keep telling us how hard you are while doing so, tbh.

If they can't think up something along the lines of a Southern Mein Leiben as I gun them down in cold blood, is it even Wolfenstein anymore? I mean, there should at least be a new Buebi from Louisiana or something.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Bolow posted:

Central/South Africa would be :krad: since they're still actively resisting and loving up Nazis on the regular. That's what the whole gibraltar bridge was built for was ferrying supplies to the African Front that still hadn't been resolved.

That would be the only Wolfenstein where I absolutely wouldn't mind not playing as BJ. Make a totally original African War Hero, even if it ironically turns out to be Nelson Mandela.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah, something like that, but entirely from Africans and Afrikaans perspective. BJ can still be there and be like that character, but I'd love if they liberated themselves from Nazi oppression.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Pendent posted:

Better yet, I'd love to see a game where black Africans liberate the entire world from Nazis.

Technically, if the final economic and political grip of said Nazi regime is its stranglehold in Africa, they sort of will anyway! But save that for the next game/side game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

I really hope that New Colossus blows the lid open on a lot of the horrific poo poo that the USA has been responsible for in its history. While I love that in New Order you get to blast apart a concentration camp, the game doesn't go far enough with it and really address the holocaust beyond "Nazis kill undesirables". With New Colossus, they have a chance to get into some really deep poo poo involving Jim Crow laws, Klan members and institutionalized racism that seems to have made the occupation of the States a much smoother process than Europe or Africa. In Britain, the allies fought to the last man until the London Monitor massacred them, and as punishment most people live in slums without power or water. Meanwhile in the USA, you've got your 1950s suburban American ideal happily coexisting with the Nazi regime, because the barely covered up racism of white America is now totally okay in the eyes of the Nazis themselves.

I love the Fergus timeline, but holy crap having Jimi Hendrix call out America's hypocrisy in the Wyatt timeline was great. Seeing everything he condemned brought to light in New Colossus would be fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4LaR1C6Xds
It's not a Let's Play, but Ross Scott did a good overview of what Wolf '09 is like. It's not a perfect game, but it has its moments. New Order blows it out in every category though so keep that in mind if you are going back from playing the newer games.

I'd really like it if they went the extra mile and pulled off their own very overt southern strategy, praising the values of Andrew Jackson protecting the "right race" with the Trail of Tears and other cherry-picked historical figures to praise, a beefed up Eugenics Record Office carrying out nationwide State Sterilization Laws that were in place since 1924 and propped up by Buck v Bell to protect "the health of the state" in slightly more horrific ways than actual history to take care of the people too white to ship off to a labor camp, yet still unfit for their glorious new world; even more overt westerns extolling the virtue of "settling" and dominating the world or keeping the Japanese internment camps going and just giving them the full Gestapo treatment with a dash of privatized prison companies competing to boot-lick Nazi overlords.

We can go a lot deeper than just name dropping Jim Crow. But I doubt they will go far enough in making sure to show how similarly vile Americans can be and possibly still are in this timeline.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jun 19, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah the tone and writing is some of the best in the business, I remember before release people were pointing to it having a concentration camp level as evidence of it obviously going to be an awful trainwreck and that ended up being one of the most harrowing and memorable parts of the game.

it isn't exactly a bad sentiment to balk at the use of concentration camps without full assurance that this isn't Homefront levels of URAH stupidity and tone-deafness for the subject matter they're playing with. I'm not saying we should doubt machinegames entirely now because what they did in New Order was sufficiently serious, but you probably should creatively roll your eyes when most people try to use the camps in almost everything.

Also look, Anya had to work herself up into being a perfect nazi killing machine.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

sebmojo posted:

tomb raider is basically set on an island sized death camp

At least the first new Tomb Raider felt like someone took Manhunt and decided to make a much more exploitative snuff film in video game form. Just potential deaths and torture every where you go.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm almost scared to think what a Wolfenstein China would look like, half occupied Nanking half retro future Opium War Era Chinese government.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
They're going to one up the dream episode where you are realistic BJ shooting cartoon versions of OG wolfenstein goons in a more modern stylized setting. It'll get all technicolor classic Disney style animation where you're gunning down KKK as Zip-ed i-do-da plays in German.

Now that I think about it, where is the New Order version of Walt? Like a combination of likely modern Super Heroes and spectacular animation to create the best child absorbing cartoon propaganda to get kids on board with the new regime.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
BJ, you've gotten old if it took you that long to grab something sharp and throw it through his skull.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Groetgaffel posted:

Sonnengewehr is the name given to it in game. Literally "sun rifle".

German is kind of funny in how its a language of just sticking words together like some impressive Frankenstein's monster until they run out of juice or just easier to say the English word for it so gently caress it, Internet is Internet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I'm hoping there's a city of super concrete that is just art deco as gently caress. I mean, they'd have to basically remake the place now that they're apparently moving into the US and trying to turn it into Germany right down to the language.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

That'd be fun to see. Neu Jork von die asche werden!

What's anyone's favourite level from New Order and Old Blood? For TNO, my favourite is probably both of the London Nautica missions, while for Old Blood, it's probably the section of Wolfenstein Keep which starts off with the Ubersoldier ambushing you in the great hall.

Nieuw Amsterdam/Neu Berlin.

Also give Anya like a game or two to become a protagonist. She's an expecting mommy right now, let the kids be born for her to to kill Nazis while also raising them and taking care of BJ on the side. Let that beautiful Nazi killing machine have her maternity leave!

EDIT 2: Also Also; depending on how they write it I am okay with BJ living as some kind of Nazi killing wraith for a game or two that still goes on, despite how broken and damaged his body becomes, to fight until the bitter end doing what God put him on this earth to do: Murder the poo poo out of Every Nazi he can.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 14, 2017

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
BJ died a long time ago. He's just been exposed to Black Sun radiation, pagan magic and Jewish super science to just keep getting back up again to continue his mission.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
With all of the machine soldiers and mechanized terror weapons running around, I'm surprised the Nazis, if they continue to exist even to 1970, aren't subtly aiming at mechanizing people in general. Like just outright "Flesh is always weak, always diminishes and deludes its once proud features into the weakness of age. The future for our culture is to be forever alive and strong as a living Panzermann.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

General Battuta posted:

That's literally Deathshead's plan. He tells you at the end of TNO that he wants to meld the best qualities of people and machines into a perfect, ageless, obedient brain-in-a-suit.

poo poo I must have forgotten or didn't listen to his grandpa plan then. I wonder if that's still what the higher ups want then.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

The comments are great though, only thing I love better than virtually killing Nazis is reading impotent rageposts from internet racists.

Putting the Helga submarine scene in that trailer was a :master:

Helga's Submarine Fun time is the tumbnail image for some of the video reposts. This is a whole new level of advertisement I'm not used to.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I am going to discover every kill with that hatchet.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

White Coke posted:

I'm already looking forward to what the weapons will look like in Wolfenstein 3. If the shotgun can go from a double-barreled automatic to a triple barreled gatling gun, and the grenade launcher goes from a flare gun to a drum-fed, burst fire rocket launcher, I'm sure the weapons will be even crazier in the next one.

In Wolfenstein 3: The New God, the only weapon that matters is you. Everything from guns, blades, shrapnel, the shredded bodies of dead nazis, the broken flaming wrecks of their Kriegsmaschines, a bar stool, a truck you pick up and throw, a fascist you swing like a baseball bat that screams as you slam him into a wall to look for secrets and rend him into red paste by the sheer force of impact, the miniature nukes attached to your gamma fists; everything becomes a instrument of death in your merciless, unforgiving, ever-living hands. You are the endless nightmare of all Nazis. You are terror made flesh and metal and infinite anger.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
First off, you're not getting Wolf 2009 on steam or any existing digital medium anytime soon. This is the game that made id a part of Zenimax and they're probably ashamed of that fact. If you don't already have it, ya gotta track down a physical copy. Secondly, its kind of a prototype of The New Order in that the upgrades and gameplay that you can toy with different Black Sun powers and finding gold to buy upgrades in 09, becomes kill challenges and perks in TNO. Its a half-baked step between Return to Castle Woflenstein and TNO, but its still a wolfenstein game and can give you a little taste of the magical bullshit days of nazi nonsense.

If you want to just look at it before you play it, there's always Your Evil Twin's LP. But its kind of going back in time to an older game.

Unless you're talking about The New Order in which case, uh, no, its a beautiful little monster of a game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

kefkafloyd posted:

Launch trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmy4WW8TqL8

That washington DC scene. :(

Can my dream for the last game come true? Can BJ kill an old Adolf Hitler like Vito Corleone killed Don Cicco?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Wolfenstien has yet to match Sniper Elite in mutilation of Hitler's dick.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
You know what's sad? We're not in alternate 1970s yet so we can find Wolfenstein era Bruce Lee to kung fu nazis to death.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Tony Snark posted:

The most "subtle" one is whining about when will someone make a game where you kill communists.

Where were these people when Freedom Fighters came and quietly went into night of the PS2 era? Oh right, it isn't blatantly racist enough. How about World in Conflict? Oh you don't like the idea of the USA losing a war effort and nuking itself in desperation? Well poo poo, that gets rid of Homefront too. What was that game where some dude that likely fabricated his special forces career sneaks into North Korea in the 1980s and says a bunch of mother fuckers and other swears as he one man destroys NK?

Oh wait "communists" means minorities and lefties. Well there's always Hatred, cupcake. You remember that great game that sold because of how offensive it was? Such a great success!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

In what context? The USSR steamrolled the Germans after Germany hosed up their push into Russia, and could have singlehandedly forced the Nazis back to Berlin through attrition alone.
Yeah the other Allies advancing from the west forced the Nazis into a two-front war that tightened the noose faster, but the Nazis had a serious problem once Russia started forcing them back.

Edit -- I mean unless the Nazis had deployed their UFOs carrying jet pack cyborgs with plasma guns, of course

USSR just used the tactic of let morons go into their expansive territory and then raise everything to the ground, it probably would have taken a little longer once the Germans stopped fighting in their area and the Russians were coming towards them, but yeah, it was a foregone conclusion the Nazis would have lost. It could have taken maybe even into the 1950 depending on how well Germany and the Nazi leadership could have weathered even more than 4 years of war, but if they were fighting Germany or even the Axis alone it would have taken a little while longer to bleed the Reich out.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nah they're too different. B.J is a man who was ready to die and is only fighting with renewed purpose mow that he has a family on the way. He gets righteously angry and directs that anger at people who deserve it.

Doomguy is just insane and operates on a logic system known only to himself. He shows gleeful enthusiasm attacking Hell and has total contempt for the corporations looking to exploit dangerous resources. His purpose in life is to rip and tear for the sake of it. A demon needs killing and Doomguy is happy to oblige. He's more straightforward than B.J if that is possible.

Um, excuse me, but Doomguy has seen this poo poo go deep down south anytime some government or corporate dumbass touches Hell so many times that he's right in just wanting to smash all demonic junk, over and over, because there is no way tampering with hell will ever not go wrong. Besides, whom was he going to save? A psychotic demon worshiper that is actively trying to aid hell and kill him? An evil transformer CEO that constantly bitches about how oh if we just give it another shot it'll work this time? The thousands damned they all left in their wake? Doomguy knows demons need to be ripped and teared because that's all he can do in all of these situations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Wolfenstein 2: Homecoming.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I want to kill my racist dad for killing that poor dog for no goddamn reason.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Its more odd than anything else that is loving offensive to tell a Nazi to die in a game that for 30 goddamn years was about killing nazis and Hitler. What is really making them mad is that the same mean spirited marketing that was used to push Hatred as controversial is being used against them now in Wolfenstein and there is nothing they can loving do about it except cry like the little snowflakes they claim to own all the time.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm already being spoiled on things and, I'm sorry guys, Wolfenstein 3: The New God seems to be confirmed?!

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

eonwe posted:

also, I never got sick of the melee kills in new order, and somehow the melees in this are even better

Its the way the hatchet archs and sometimes takes body parts before the kill, sometimes just tells them nice to meet you right in his nazi face.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Dumb kid nazis are like deer in heat, they're gonna die because they'll jump in front of a moving car that isn't even coming at them or near them.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I don’t have time to sift through the poo poo posting and I don’t have the coin to buy this until next weekend: give me the goon hot take please.

Even if it’s just TNO 2 that will lather my nether regions almost as much as Liquid Drink’s tears.

It is 60% more violent and 30% more insane than TNO.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So I just saw a review where they immediately question if BJ is weaker than he was in TNO and I just don't know how much more obvious the beginning of the game needs to be for some people.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Paingod556 posted:

Thats what saddens me the most, more so than the return of nationalism and government mandated bigotry- does no-one remember Freedom Fighters? :(

Or any historical RTS game, or loving Red Alert, Rogue Warrior, Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine, The German Campaign from Moscow to Berlin: Red Siege, No One Lives Forever 2, Task Force Harrier EX, Cold War, loving 1/3rd of Call of Duty, You are Empty, loving Golden Eye lets you murder some loving Russians and Communist agents, B1: Nuclear Bomber and probably an unknown amount of lovely self made games, from nazi fuckheads or otherwise, that you could probably program yourself if you're oh so desperate to kill dem commies. Nazis too lazy to look on loving google on games with the soviet union or to pick up a book on how to make their own lovely game and that's probably a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
I hate waiting for this game to unfuck itself as I'm already planning out monthly download rate for it.