Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

This is hosed up. Where I am it's either a company owned or a company leased vehicle. Can any euro goons tell us if this is also the case over there?

I think it's a mix here in the UK, but the vast majority of food I get delivered is from people driving what look like their own cars. Like, there's child booster seats in the back, that sort of thing. There's occasionally someone in a car with the restaraunt logo on the side, but really not very often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spite house posted:

"Do what I say or this lady [meaning me] will call the police on you."

Always hilarious to respond "Oh, don't worry, I won't do that" and watch the parent's enraged face. gently caress you, parent your own child instead of palming it off onto a retail worker.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

pixaal posted:

When I was still working at a store we had a kid yelling in a long line for a candy bar. It's the day before a holiday 20 minute long lines kid is screaming parent has 2 carts of food. You get the picture. They get to the front and the kid wants a few now and the mom is arguing finally says no candy.

Kid threatens to poo poo their pants, this kid is 8 or 9. The mom holds her ground, and the kid shits the self. Mom caves in as the kid starts making a scene saying how their mom forces them to poo poo themselves and won't take them to the bathroom. Kid ends up for more candy than before the threat to shut them up and we end up having to close the register because the kid got poo poo all over the floor and the mom was appalled that we even asked her to clean it up. She didn't poo poo the floor it was the kid, and the kid is going to come back and clean it up as punishment, but you know after the calm down in an hour. So of course we cleaned it, and I don't think she came back to give out the lovely punishment.

What makes this worse is that that kid has learned that making GBS threads themselves gets them what they want. Like, you KNOW this isn't the only time they've poo poo themselves for a Mars bar.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spog posted:

Not a second date.

I guess it depends which dating service you used.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I didn't even intend that but yeah, that's actually pretty good.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

As someone who spends summers as a councilor at kids camps these kids are the best.

They are so used to the screaming/crying/etc getting them exactly what they want right that moment that it breaks their brains when a person's response is not to immediately cave.

I don't know what it is in boys, but any hint of public ridicule works disciplinary wonders (in my experience). There was one boy, who was 9, and would just scream his head off, with tears pouring down his face, whenever anything didn't go exactly his way. He wasn't in my group, but I was usually near by and just started smirking at him when he would pitch a fit. Like, a real arrogant "I'm smirking at you because what you're doing is funny to me" face. He couldn't deal with that and quit pitching a fit whenever I was in the area.

I imagine he's a real piece of poo poo person if nobody intervened in his life.

I don't know how much public ridicule is going to affect a child who shits himself in the checkout line in order to get chocolate.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I bet if the cashier and a few strangers started pointing and laughing the story would be different, but as it is most of the ridicule was probably aimed at the mom for not being able to control her kid.

Sometimes a child just needs a smack, and it's kind of silly that you have to worry about a stranger calling CPS or something over it.

Or maybe just not giving him the loving candy would help. I mean for gently caress's sake.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

If you're at a point where your non-retarded child is intentionally making GBS threads his pants in a public setting to get what he wants, I think there's way deeper behavioral concerns to be addressed than "did he get the candy in the end"

Like, even regular old screaming/crying tantrums are something that should be mostly weeded out by the time they're like 5-6 tops, but even more hosed up is that a kid that age doesn't understand how horrifyingly embarrassing the action he took was. That kid's going to have some serious boundary issues even if he does learn to stop being a spoiled brat. I'm talking the kind of person that hits high school and genuinely thinks farting out loud in a classroom or picking his nose during a conversation is ok.

Oh yeah, I was mostly just meaning that as shorthand for actual parenting. I mean it's pretty basic - you don't reward the bad behaviour. Even if you want to avoid negative reinforcement by not punishing the bad behaviour, you don't give them candy to stop the screaming shitfit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

This is going to be great.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

When I was still a peon before I hit manager there was a dude who would have all his shifts scheduled for exactly 5 hours, since that was the minimum before you could take a paid 30-minute break. The dude would come in for a 9-1 shift and try to duck out for lunch at 12, and would come back at like 12:45, dick around for 10 minutes and leave again. That was one of the more "height of laziness" acts I'd seen until then.

How did no one tell this guy to go gently caress himself and schedule him for four hours instead?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

If they made "guy who blatantly disregards corporate procedure like planograms and metrics" manager you can imagine how apathetic the guy I replaced must have been

Yeah but retail stores are usually struggling for hours because corporate are pricks and keep cutting them. Someone that was burning an hour per shift would be a prime target.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Kelp Me! posted:

I guess I should mention that this was while I was working for legendary well-managed retail chain Radio Shack

Welp

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

canyoneer posted:

More than once when I worked retail parents would threaten their children that if they didn't behave, that man (meaning me) is going to hit you.

And that's when you say to the kids "Oh, don't worry, I don't mind WHAT you do!" and give the parents your best poo poo eating grin.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

:stonk:

I don't manage retail, I manage in the military and cannot imagine NOT violently responding to someone assaulting one of my subordinates.

You have amazing self control and your boss is/was pathetic.

Anybody else ever been physically assaulted on the job?

I never have, but it happened to a coworker. A guy jumped the counter and started wailing on him. Someone hit the silent alarm, the guy was pulled off him by other staff and ejected from the store. It was lovely.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Everyone in this thread is a horrible customer of something awful dot com

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I Brake For MILFs posted:

It's called "Right to work." I live in a right to work state and they don't need any reason to fire you. It's your "right to work" anywhere so long term job security is weak at best. Most of the southern states are like this. (I'm in Florida.)

I used to live in CT which isn't a right to work state. My company had an appeal system and you could plead your case to the CEO to get your job back.

Weird stuff.

I thought right to work just meant you didn't have to join a union, whereas at will is the "you can quit/be fired without notice and for any non protected reason" thing.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Starman Super DX posted:

I think we need some kind of dumb customer bingo.

*stands at the end of your register for another ten minutes checking my receipt*

"You said you had some when I called!"

Bonus points if you know for a fact you took their call and you told them the opposite.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Not thread making GBS threads for once but I twice a month I have my shoes shined professionally and have taps nailed into them. They'll even do further maintenance work if necessary. I highly recommend doing this if you want to maintain a certain appearance and feel good about yourself.

This makes me hope you are a vaudeville performer. Either that or taps means something else I'm not familiar with.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lmao. That's what the guy calls the plastic protectors he puts on the heel and toe of a boot or shoe.

Oh right. I did try googling it before assuming you were some kind of reincarnated Fred Astaire but nothing came up.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Holy poo poo I actually saw someone pull the "Well you just lost a customer!' maneuver in real life for the first time today and it was in The Reject Shop of all places (a large chain of lovely cheap discount stores here in Australia). Some guy was in the toy aisle pawing through all the lovely cheap Matchbox cars and apparently he didn't see the exact one he wanted on the shelf so he reached up and pulled down a box stored on top of the shelf and started unpacking it. A store clerk told him to cut that out and he yelled "Well you just lost a customer!" and then immediately went back to looking through the toy cars that were out on the shelf.

I had someone pull that on me once. Guy came in wanting some formula 1 game, I forget which, said he'd seen it at the shop across the street for £x and we had it for £x+5 and could we price match. I called the store to confirm their price and they said they hadn't got any in stock, which meant we wouldn't price match. He insisted they had it and it was quiet so I went over there and hunted through all their pc games and couldn't find the thing. I asked someone behind the counter who turned out to be the person I spoke to on the phone and they told me again that they didn't have any. I went back and told the guy and he left in a huff. Twenty minutes later he comes back, waves a copy of the game at me and declares "you just lost a customer!". I can only assume he'd found the copy in the other store, hidden it so no one stole his bargain and then came over to our store to price match and get his loyalty points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

iajanus posted:

The correct response, from memory, is to shrug and let him leave.

Then you go to back and laugh about him.

That was pretty much it. I was more bemused than anything else.

• Locked thread