Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I met an esports guy. He was very nice. I may be coming around on esports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Summer League is gonna be so loving good this year.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Mr. Mambold posted:

What a world where Summer League is looked forward to more than the NBA finals. Suck on that KD you piece of dung.

Every June 28 teams are more excited about summer League than anything that happens in the finals, they actually have some control over what happens and benefit from good decisions.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

They probably think they can get Paul George much cheaper.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

chunkles posted:

, George de Paula, Erik McCree.

If these guys don't pan out I will be very bummed

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Has anyone entirely changed their playstyle as successfully as Carter?

Anthony Davis went from low usage defensive big to ball dominant post up scorer in like one and a half years.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Shawn Dawson is back I'm extremely happy

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Some talk that George's leak was a favor to the Pacers, so that they're not the bad guys for moving him.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Spite posted:

Lol who is going to guard Steph on houston? At least Beverley irritates him.

Irritation is not defense. Chris Paul is still a top 10 PG defender in a way that Beverley has never been.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Bashez posted:

I wonder if Kawhi being a quiet/reserved guy affects his ability to influence free agents, it has to right?

My sense is that his personality matters much less than his willingness to pick up the phone and call free agents in the first place, which is something that not all star players are willing to do. Anyway I think Kawhi is not really the recruiting tool, it's Pop and pop's history of getting guys to play well and getting them paid long after their usefulness on the court had expired.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Time posted:

They were actively shopping him and teams wanted picks to absorb him

To be fair, the Rockets weren't in a good position because everyone thought they had to move him, and no Western Conference team wants to make it easy for a rival to assemble a super team.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Why did everyone think they had to move Anderson? Nonguaranteed contracts are pretty easy to find.

I think most teams just wanted to avoid having to sell fans on Ryan Anderson being their big summer acquisition. They were probably thinking that going for Millsap or JJ and striking out would be preferable.

We didn't know Chris Paul would be an opt in, we thought they would have to clear more room to sign him as a free agent.

From what I remember Sacramento offered Anderson a similar deal last summer to what he got from the Rockets, so it's not like his contact is wildly over the market.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

ex post facho posted:

if this actually results in the rockets beating the warriors 4-3 somewhere along the road to the WCF, i will return hat in hand and write a sonnet about a rockets player of Intruder's choice

your standard for improvement is the ability to beat the best team of all time, all else is disappointment. that cannot be what you mean.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Space Camp fuckup posted:

The only reason it's so easy to make fun of Ainge is he leaks everything he's going to do, might do, and would have done but didn't. He's like that weird kid on the playground that talks too much and lies about everything. Great GM though.

This is a pro rear end post

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Metapod posted:

Ah yes a bigger semaj criston that's what the team needs https://twitter.com/royceyoung/status/880917695952244737

I still believe in MCW

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I am still totally confused as to the Paul George deal. Regardless of what Boston offered, there was at least one other deal offered that was much, much better than what OKC offered. And if the intention was to get him out of the Eastern Conference, I know of at least one offer from a Western Conference team that involved picks and didn't involve Oladipo's terrible contact. I cannot get my head around this.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Is sauce Castillo still on that roster, how do I not confuse the two

Reddick can really shoot and do nothing else, Stauskas can shoot a little and handle a little and be an emergency PG. Their games aren't very similar.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I have no idea who this is

Don't let those other jerks nerd you around. He's a good but often injured PF who played for Boston last year, he's pretty skilled and brittle and was (is?) a plus-minus god.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredWeissNBA/status/881298805811019776

Well that explains some of it then, the Boston offer was never solid and they were stalling until signing Heyward, which would have meant the Pacers basically sitting out free agency to hope they still wanted to do it.

The Celtics were hardly the only offers.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Trast posted:

As someone who is not really in tune with the nuts and bolts of the NBA I want to ask a dumb question. Why does everyone in the media assume Lebron and every all star on the planet are going to the Lakers in 2018? I was under the impression that the Lakers had lost a lot of their luster due to front office mediocrity. Is it really all about the legacy factor or are they heading for a perfect storm of salary cap space and free agency? California has a massive amount of taxes and you still have to make it through the west and eventually the Warriors.

(Also I know Paul George made his intentions clear already but it doesn't explain everyone else.)

1. A large proportion of the media live in LA and think it's the bee's knees and can't imagine why anyone else wouldn't think so too.
2. Historically the Lakers have had a lot of success luring free agents there,
2.1 partially because some players think LA is the bee's knees
2.2 and partially because a ton of player agents live in LA and drive their clients to Los Angeles because that way they don't have to travel far too meet them and keep them happy

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

What the hell

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Christ

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I hope Daniel Theis gets to play meaningful minutes in the NBA cuz he's a good player. That is my expert opinion.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

I really don't get the Kings.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

hitze posted:

otto is fuckin cool ok

Not joking or making GBS threads on him unnecessarily but in what way is he cool? To me he looks like the most average player in the league, with doubtful shooting and no way to create his own shot and not a lot of ways to contribute on offense. I see him as at best a decent defender. The only way I see him as becoming valuable is as an undersize four, but Washington doesn't really use him this way much. Am I missing some of his better qualities?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/TaylorRooks/status/882449130580320256

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I'm about to go into cancer surgery, here's to hoping the knicks would improve today too. Humor me in what non dolan ways the knicks could get better this offseason

Someone will give them something for Carmelo.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I expect that in discussions with FAs it's ok to "bid" without having the cap room cleared up if you can show a viable path.

Yes, agents pretty much demand to see the plan to clear space, competing teams try to convince agents that their plan won't work.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Utah is kinda salty in general

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

leftist heap posted:

How many irredeemably bad contracts were actually handed out last season? Turner and Mozgov are the obvious ones. I dunno how many more I'd consider as bad as that.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/748729312325595137

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/752216113484746752

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

ha I forgot about Luol

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

LA doesn't have their pick this year, so it would just be screwing over the Celitcs

Also, if you still don't get why Nick Young is an insane pickup for the Warriors
https://twitter.com/bzcohen/status/882661045378134020

he shot 34% in the previous two seasons

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

I'd say his production under Luke's system is a better predictor than under Byron's system

Two seasons of 34% shooting versus a recent season of 40% shooting. Sounds like a good opportunity for a bet!

My proposal: if Nick Young shoots below 38% during the 17-18 regular season, I win the bet; if he shoots 38% or better I lose the bet; if he doesn't attempt more than 100 threes the bet is off (regular season only for all this). The bet winnings goes to charity, the winner of the bet gets to name the charity.

Who wants to take me up on a 100% chance to help a charity and a smaller chance to make me look foolish?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Tae posted:

You had a point about Otto Porter because his sample size is small relative to years, but Nick Young is a career above-average 3-point shooter. It's not like he's suddenly learned to shoot, he's shot 38-40% in previous seasons.

I do not see any dollar signs in this post.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Glumslinger posted:

Done, :20bux: sound good?

:toxx:

Done!

If anyone's on the fence about this, this is not like my Otto Porter bet where I calculated that I had a 80% chance of winning. I have not done any calculations, I figure the chance of Nick hitting 38%+ to be right around 50%, maybe a shade over. It's a good bet for you!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Boredumb posted:

Wrong !!!!! Is lie!!

$25 I'm in.

:cool:

Diddie posted:

Booked for $69

My brother.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Kibner posted:

So, the Pels are bringing Darius Miller into camp.

Darius has been really good over the last couple of years. He is an excellent defensive wing. I hope he gets some guaranteed money, he deserves a real chance at rotation minutes.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

attackmole posted:

People should seriously stop wearing the number 23 if they're not MJ or Lebron though.

My favorite one of these is the dude who wore a headband and #23 for the Canton Charge last year:

edit: I think his name was Chris Evans

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

I just Googled him and saw he's 30 years old and went undrafted. Is there a reason why no NBA team bothered with him until now? He's apparently been pretty good for a while now even winning Euroleague MVP.

He was making a ton of money in Russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

The Spurs are the only team in the league that would not only tolerate Gay's midrange jumpers, but encourage them.

• Locked thread