Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Niwrad posted:

I officially did not renew my Bulls tickets today. The sales person sounded pretty desperate so I'm guessing season ticket sales are way down. I did say I would renew if they fired GarPax which she thought was me making a joke.

Rumour of the day

https://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/6h5n03/just_a_reminder_tom_thibodeau_wanted_to_draft/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Lockback posted:

You really could do this kind of stuff with any team in the league, whether or not there is any truth to it. There are always going to be opinions, and you never hear when a guy has a bad opinion and is overruled. Draymond Green was a 6'6 PF. It is not a stretch at all to pass up on him, in fact since he was drafted in the 2nd round every team in the league passed on him!

Oh totally, I just have fun with hindsight even when it's not fair.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Almost every single idea related to shrinking the number of teams or lessening the number of games would never ever be approved because of the revenue loss.

I mean a 70 game season would almost assuredly be a better product to watch but at no point in time in the world will the rich dickheads who own the teams let that 100 million dollars walk away from them so that sports nerds on the internet complain slightly less.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Dejan Bimble posted:

How good were Rik Smits and Zyldraunus Ilgauskus, I remember them both being way too good in a way that seemed unfair, because they were tall and made jumpshots during my chyldhode

I can tell you that Rik Smits/Reggie Miller was my NBA Jam team because I was 'that kid'.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So how do you split up minutes between Saric and Simmons? Do you run Saric off the bench as a sparkplug or can one of them slide to SF? Neither seems ideal to me.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Marbury is Ezra Pound. Machivellian and potent. Misunderstood. Used their powers to work with enemies of America after falling out with the homeland. .

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhyteRyce posted:

Papa John dropped 20lbs!!!

But did he gain 20 lbs of muscle?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

RaySmuckles posted:

and dumping the mozgov contract is great for them

Sunk cost fallacy and all but paying to dump a contract that you literally signed less than a year ago that was immediately mocked is one of the sadder things I've seen a team do.

russell is a keeper on my fantasy team he better not get stuck behind caris lavert or some dumb poo poo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

brookyln doing a prokhorov and trying to buy paul george right when everyone thought they were finally rebuilding.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
russell gonna be just fine i think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ48dMwVqPg

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

euphronius posted:

That's a pretty good offer for pg idk.

You're not wrong, but you're looking at a team trading away two promising rookies and picks for one year of Brook Lopez and Paul George (who might be desperate to resign with them but still). Even with PG and Lopez I don't think that's a playoff team. It's uh, feels real dumb.

So I'm sitting here with popcorn, obviously.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
https://twitter.com/TMZ/status/877612370868051968

Dang. I guess that probably is a better career move.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

predicto posted:

wait what?

The Warriors sell out every game and have over 40,000 people on their season ticket waitlist.

Probably some combination of waiting for current holders to resign before letting people on the list buy in and maybe they just have a smaller number of seats allocated for season ticket holders (more likely to be the first thing though). That'll skew around the numbers a little bit.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I know there point guard rotation has been a shitshow ever since Kidd left but I think Carlisle kinda hates young point guards so that might have had something to do with it also. See: starting point guard Mike James in 2012-2013

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It uh, seems like an OK deal to me? Chicago gets a high draft pick and two promising young players. Unless you're convinced that Dunn will always suck poo poo.

E: oh, just saw that it was for Butler and the sixteenth pick. I still don't think it's lopsided but that makes it a lil worse for sure.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 23, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Wolves own and off-season owns tho

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Dragan Bender has a Hitler mustache now

Oh noooooo

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Shear Modulus posted:

i mean that's about the same distribution as the actual talent disparity

Lebron should probably be on it tbh but the narrative of him coasting during the regular season is too strong.

(Yes, he does coast a little, but Lebron coasting is still a top 10 defender IMO)

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Intruder posted:

Lavar just said "beat that n****'s rear end" on live TV

LaVar Ball is.... Good?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

honestly, same.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

MourningView posted:

I don't really have a strong opinion on Lavar one way or the other but Lonzo consistently looks embarrassed by the whole circus around his dad and I feel kinda bad for him.

Normally I agree with this but I think professional wrestling and Lavar were made for each other.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

goddamn that is a lot of guys moving for one dude

I mean it's worth it, but gently caress.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

G-Hawk posted:

Current Rockets roster:
Ryan Anderson
Trevor Ariza
Bobby Brown
Clint Capela
Eric Gordon
James Harden
Isaiah Hartenstein
Ryan Kelly
Chinanu Onuaku
Chris Paul
Tim Quarterman
Isaiah Taylor
Troy Williams
Shawn Long

but ask again in 15 minutes

real excited for onuaku to get real minutes. I wanna see as many underhand free throws as possible.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Hot take: Iggy also earned the last two 6MOY awards but we gotta give it to another chucker cause points rule right.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Apparently he was real good with the Bull's rookies but I still like to imagine Rondo hitting him with the MJ Kwame Brown treatment.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Maaaan, the east is bad. Like, I know it's been Lebron's conference for the last 8 years, but for the last two years the bottom end climbed out of the slums and it wasn't quite as embarrassing as the 8 seed Jennings/Ellis Bucks....but now we're right back there, aren't we. Goddamn. I wonder if we can have the 6-8 seeds all make playoffs with losing records. That would be great.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

BWV posted:

im a big time honky and I dont really hoop but I understood what he meant

but you see, these nerds don't know poo poo about basketball!!!!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
can the east please get at least one all star moving over? c'mon, gord.

please

I don't even have any stake in the Celtics I'm just asking for a little balancing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I wanna hear Gordon Hayward and Jeremy Lin argue whether LoL or DOTA is better.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Chairchucker posted:

Also,

https://twitter.com/rickyrubio9/status/881692589526835201

I am totally on board with Rubio and Jingles being best bros.

Didn't know this was a thing. Looked it up and they played on FC Barcelona together in 2010-11. OLD SCHOOL.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

omg

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Yeah he was the defensive glue.

Also, as much as his offense disappeared on us and was frustrating, he still shot 37% on his threes. Now, here's a list of the current people on the Raptor's bench that can hit a three pointer at or above a league average rate: Fred Van Vleet.

I'm gonna miss him.

Start of the season's gonna be real ugly. Masai has too much pride to fire Casey after getting knocked out by the Cavs, but maybe he'll do it if we suck poo poo to start the year (ahhaha no he won't). Also honestly the East is looking so bad this year that it's gonna be incredibly hard to go under .500 tbh. But who knows, maybe they can do it.

I also wish he could stay around, but I'm gonna pull an I told you so and mention that I made an effort post months ago that ran the numbers and figured that the Ibaka/Lowry signings alone would put TO over the luxury tax line and that barring a miracle playoff run (that didn't happen), MLSE wouldn't be willing to pay for either of Tucker or Patterson to be renewed because it would put them solidly in the 10 million over the tax line bracket (where the tax jumps up sharply).

For reference, the current team salary is 130 million (hoopshype hasn't added the Ibaka and Lowry contracts in yet), and the tax line is 119 million. This team is so expensive that I'm not even sure that it would look to add any veteran contracts on top of that. The only way we'll have room to move is Carroll gets unloaded and/or JV gets traded.

Capped out and deep in the tax isn't a great look for a team as flawed as the Raptors. But hey, at least we're not Portland.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jul 5, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Cool Buff Man posted:

Nick, thank you very much for making me look up this babyman, he's made my morning

I wanna dress him like the king cake baby and make him dance around

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

cravius posted:

Bill Simmons just said that the Thunder are a 7-8 seed in the west and would maybe be a three seed in the east lmfao

He's....not wrong?

Honestly the west is such a shark tank I wouldn't really be surprised at them being anywhere between 4-8 but I'd err on the lower side of that just because Westbrook is such a powder keg.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 5, 2017

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

leftist heap posted:

If you assume a top 3 of GSW, Spurs, and Houston (not a guarantee IMO) then that assumes 3-4 teams ahead of OKC.

I can't really make a case for ANY of the remaining likely playoff teams being ahead of them, let alone 3-4 of them.

I guess. Now that I think about it some more yeah, the talent on Utah, Memphis and LAC has went down, Portland is staying pat and who knows if the improvements to Minessota/NO/Denver will actually put them in the mix or not. So yeah, I'll backpedal and admit that on paper I guess they slide into the 4th spot. But I'm still gonna say that I wouldn't be very surprised if they fell lower than that. Maybe I'm just biased but I look at OKC and see a real high variance team. They're good, but volatile.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
People should seriously stop wearing the number 23 if they're not MJ or Lebron though. Not out of respect or retirement or whatever but just cause it makes you look like a desperate dweeb. Like c'mon Draymond/Anthony Davis/everyone else on this list http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/numbers.fcgi?number=23&year=2017 . And it just gets lower tier from there. Fred Van Vleet, who are you kidding?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's not a retirement but Raptors arena has a loving banner for Bon Jovi hanging from the rafters for god knows what reason.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Man that's jumping the fence from imitation to cosplay. Goddang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

dokmo posted:

The Spurs are the only team in the league that would not only tolerate Gay's midrange jumpers, but encourage them.

Also the Raptors. Remember the Gay era? Feels like a loving fever dream but I bet you if he got put back on the team he'd do the exact same poo poo all over again and Casey would nod approvingly, just like four years ago.

• Locked thread