Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

gently caress KEVIN DURANT

this is the offseason story line

lebron's not coming to the spurs until 2018 when our cap space opens up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So someone help me out here. The Dubs are eventually going to eat poo poo financially for this roster, right? When does that happen, and what implications could it have?

potentially next offseason and the two proceeding off seasons as steph, klay, and draymond's contracts come up

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Could they theoretically do that if they just went ungodly far into the tax? The cap makes my brain hurt.

they could, but i think next offseason is when they have to start gutting the bench. 2 offseasons and klay probably leaves. but building around draymond, KD, and steph is still a great recipe for success

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

thats a fine av, sir

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ex post facho posted:

i kinda think im a spurs fan now. theyre one of the only franchises that has maintained constancy through great FO work without scraping the shook barrel. most of their talent is organic and in house and pop is still the best HC in thr league.

i love the nuggets but man it is exhausting knowing your team will never make the finals ever

i will always hate manu tho. :colbert:

sorry, but one of the requirements for spurs fandom is manu worship. its a strict policy, especially with his retirement imminent.

other than that, i can only highly recommend the spurs. great organization to cheer for. great players, good stories, players actually develop and find success. its a ton of fun to follow during the course of a season. next year should be a good one to because dejounte is up and coming and kawhi is most likely about to have his best 5-7 seasons starting next year. spurs are going to be hungry next year and are one of the few teams who can potentially beat the warriors. oh yeah, plus a free bashez always there to make you feel better about everything

other potential team to bandwagon: memphis grizzlies. they're cool as gently caress.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

the spurs are the warriors except their boring players dont have an insane need to be loved and dont fake a personality

its kind of a marvel to me because i remember watching the warriors in like '13 and '14 and being like, hey this scrappy team is cool and going to be pretty good once they overcome their injury problems.

really, they should be even more widely appreciated because up until last year and their 73-9 season they really were a built not bought team that did everything right. but starting last year, or even mid the year before they started to get insanely hyped by the media and their players started becoming increasingly off-putting and i just found myself hating them. then they added kevin durant and ruined the west, which is unforgivable.

Cool Buff Man posted:

If you want everyone to assume that you're a racist idiot and you would like to spend years posting here to try to break free of the stereotype, the Boston Celtics are your team.

this made me chuckle a bit. a hearty recommendation

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

I just want to say, as a relatively new shitposter in this here dead basketball forum, RaySmuckles is someone I admire for his Takes. His Takes are genuine with just a hint of spice, exactly how I like my burritos. I don't even mind he's a Spurs fan, which is the milquetoast basketball fandom but shows a true appreciation for the sport. Thank you for the opportunity and the blessing of your posts

thanks? :shrug:

i was just lucky that as a kid that i picked david robinson as my favorite player and then the spurs got duncan like 5 years later.

anyway, if anyone wanted to see a picture that perfectly encapsulates why everyone in the world should hate the warriors now here you go:

gently caress the warriors

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 13, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

after i paid you such a compliment you go and say such hurtful things about golden state, cmon man they didn't make that stupid rear end image, BR did

well, before this new forums friendship continues, i need to make it absolutely clear that i am firmly in camp "gently caress the warriors" and "kd is a bitch"

i'll never not feel that way. sorry, friend.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ammanas posted:

That's fine I partially agree with both points even if I am a fairweather bandwagon fan

KD is a mama-boy-bitch but he's one deadly basketball player and Im glad he's on the Warriors and there are a ton of reasons to hate the Warriors but I still like em, they represent Cali well

they are very good at basketball. kd is one of the best scorers i've ever seen and steph is probably the best shooter i've ever seen.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

jackofarcades posted:

I never wanna take Steph for granted. He doesn't always come through but man, he is the most broken bullshit in the league. He is changing the game by himself.

That's when the Warriors were like "we're light years ahead" it's like - duh, you got the guy who's the prototype for superstar point guards going forward. People gonna try to be like Curry for generations. You have a unique talent so you can do poo poo no other team can do.

the quickness of his shot and its incredible accuracy are otherworldly. it doesn't look natural. the guy is amazing.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
how much does hayward move the needle in boston?

he'd take crowder's spot, but isn't crowder a better defender? i guess crowder would move to PF which shouldn't be too bad a fit for him. hayward definitely offers an offensive upgrade, but how much of one?

just wondering how people see that move playing out

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Hayward played for Stevens at Butler, yeah?

yeah with great success (2x ncaa finalist)

but that was college

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

EvanTH posted:

Thank you. I edited a more thorough Hayward evaluation with video into the post for you

thanks for the video.

not a knock, but i'm still just not really sold on him.

from what i've seen of him he's an above average SF who can go off for a lot of points. but i'm not even sold on him being a top 10 SF or if he is, he's right around there.

but maybe i'm really wrong. :shrug:

i really don't know and i'm sure him and stevens would be fun to watch together, but i don't know if that moves the needle in boston.

especially with IT who is so ball dominant. hayward strikes me as a guy that would benefit a lot in a motion offense where he can exploit mismatches and defensive lapses. but they might let IT walk (probably won't) and maybe i'm just really wrong because i don't know enough about the kid.

does seem to get a lot of extra hype for being a decent white SF though

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jun 14, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Cool Buff Man posted:

Players that put up over 10 winshares get money thrown at them, like they should. Hayward scored 22 per game on drat near 60% ts. Sign me the hell up

yeah i heard he was really efficient which is definitely a huge plus.

Ammanas posted:

Jimmy Butler

i'm not saying jimmy isn't better, but bradley strikes me as a guy you would want to keep. stellar wing defender which is crucial with decent offensive output to boot. i don't see why they'd get rid of him for a slight upgrade who'd probably cost considerably more. plus the guy always seems to give a ton of effort which is super valuable. i don't watch enough celtics games to back this statement fully though. if i were the celtics i'd worry more about bringing in a better defensive center (and try to move horford to the 4) if they can sign hayward.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i hear you deimos, i think jimmy butler is great.

i just think that too often people are looking at teams and saying "well if only they can sign these three max players they can compete" when that's not realistic at all.

how do the celtics actually afford IT, Horford, Hayward, Butler, and now "a good center" in addition to a decently competitive bench?

i'm saying that having solid role players on a team is a good thing because cap space is limited. if you have a role player that fits in well, then keep him and look elsewhere to spend your money.

i mean, sure, the celtics should sign hayward and butler, and heck even demarcus cousins! that'd be great! but how do you actually make that work?

look at the spurs. danny green is not a great shooting guard. he's an excellent defender and decent 3 point shooter. he can't dribble and doesn't shoot volume. but he works because he's cheap and what he brings to the table fits the system well enough. that's how i think about bradley.

not every team can be the warriors. its not possible to just sign poo poo loads of all stars because that's not even how the warriors did what they did. i get that they've warped the perception of the league, but not every team is going to be the cavs and go waaaay over the cap to compete. instead people should be focusing on what pieces do they really need and what pieces do they have that can fit their system.

bradley seems like a valuable role player that can play well enough so instead of fantasizing about replacing every position with an all-nba player we should be thinking about what positions really need the upgrade and how to make that system work.

alright, i'm already beyond too many words. but its not about shooting down all stars. its about trying to be realistic. and i think the celtics already have a valuable starting nba shooting guard

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

In general I agree but Avery Bradley isn't very good actually. His best season ever is about as good as Green was this year, which was Green's worst year since he was a D-League call up. And he's never healthy to boot. He's a strangely overrated player, he's like the definition of JAG.

If it were a choice between them, Bradley to Butler is a much, much bigger upgrade than Crowder to Hayward. Butler over Bradley last season would almost certainly have made them a 60 win team in the east with no other changes. These are the guys who put have put up a 2017 Butler season in the last ten years: Lebron, Durant, Harden, Butler

That's not a slight upgrade. The difference between Butler this year and Bradley this year was, for example, much greater than the difference between Kevin Durant last year and Harrison Barnes last year.

thanks for this good reply. very solid! i'm shocked because i thought he was much better than green, and obviously i really like green

i also agree that butler would be a much better improvement over hayward. but butler is a trade right? and hayward is an FA, so the celtics would have to give some stuff up for butler while they could get hayward "for free" (cap space). definitely interesting

oh yeah, whats a JAG?

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jun 14, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Dog posted:

this isnt to argue against your point, but the talk of playing low srs reminded me of something i looked up yesterday. Well really it reminded me of this: https://twitter.com/BruhReport/status/874822055723532288

which is hilarious and also made me look up the srs of the teams lebron and mj had played in the finals. The average srs of the teams lebron has faced is 8.201. The average srs that mj faced is 6.84. Mj didnt face a single team with as high of an srs as lebrons average.

did this guy say that kobe lost to the pistons in 2004 and then lebron knocked them out in 2005? because the pistons went to the finals in 2005 and lost to the spurs. lebron didn't see the finals for two more years, and i'm pretty sure the 2007 pistons were nothing like the 2004-05 pistons

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

If the NBA contracted the Grizzlies I would kill the NBA. This is an explicit threat on the life of the NBA. I am not joking. You will need to be lucky for the rest of your life, I will only need to be lucky once.

this is how i knew the guy who wrote that list was full of poo poo.

who the gently caress wants to get rid of the grizz? the grizz loving own.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BWV posted:

They are both a fashionable and functional garment for such an occasion. Even the Spurs' fans are efficient.

i'm dumpin my drawers right now and i didn't even have to waste time going to the bathroom

literally poo poo posting

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Lmfao

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/875478266697572352

KD wins a title and is back to his prime Twitter days. Hell I'm for that

drat thats some nice self-awareness KD

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
lebron to the spurs in 2018

pop'll extend his career while keeping him in the hunt for championships

and he'll have the 21st century scottie pippin as his sidekick

note: kawhi is better than pippin

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
david lee opted out with the spurs. wouldn't be surprised to see him try to land in GS if he can't find a satisfying contract.

spurs may try to resign him at a slight pay raise, but have many other roster concerns to contend with.

pau opting out means the spurs can probably just afford the status quo (patty and simmons).

don't know how they're going to shore up their front court needs. maybe its time anderson took on full back up 4 responsibilities. probably bring over some tall euros.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

he's not a free agent so the spurs would have to trade for him right?

i'm just not seeing any major moves from the spurs this offseason, mostly just focusing on retention and shoring up the roster. its all about cap space in 2018 (when we chase lebron…jk…sorta)

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bashez posted:

The Knicks seem like a dumb enough team to ask for Kawhi in a trade. I don't think Kristaps moves, their price seems too high.

i just don't think the spurs have any tradable assets for a high level player

pau's new contract will be designed to retain patty/simmons and plan for 2018

note: i just don't see them trading danny green either after his team friendly deal, corporate knowledge, and being one of the best wing defenders in the league who can also sort of shoot 3s

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
i think the lakers trade is decent for the lakers

they need a solid center to compete and lopez seems like he can fill that role nicely

and dumping the mozgov contract is great for them

lopez seems like an above average center, am i wrong to think that?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Do you think rebounding and defense from your center is important ?

almost certainly yes

unless randle is a green level defender

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
bummer to see kawhi cut his braids

they were iconic in the modern nba and personally i thought he wore them pretty well

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

false alarm. stand down, everyone

apparently the guy who posted the photo, the chinese guy, said that kawhi still has his braids, its just the photo angle/quality.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

yeah, pretty sure the serbian team is the best, which is actually pretty cool and good.

those guys have been scraping by for years and its great that the olympics and the general growth of 3v3 will get these guys paid

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jun 21, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

E2M2 posted:

Lebron gone

not until 2018, i imagine. i don't think there's a trade that can happen to put him in a place he would rather be

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
here's some 3v3 basketball if anyone hasn't checked it out yet

no pro players will be playing 3v3 in the olympics so this is what it'll most likely look like

serbian team may not be as good since their best player will be like ~34 but maybe he'll age well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD9M4XiaqLM

zoux posted:

If Lebron leaves Cleveland again, I assume it wouldn't reach The Decision levels of rage but would it be worse than KD leaving OKC?

i don't think people would begrudge him leaving a completely dysfunctional franchise and he already did what he set out to do in spectacular fashion (win cleveland a championship). besides, as long as this iteration of golden state exists i think it seriously relieves pressure on lebron's decisions. the warriors are the monster and the most important thing right now, so whatever lebron does is secondary to that

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
trading danny would be a total bummer.

but i think trading danny opens up space for hanga to replace his excellent wing defense, but hanga only offers limited offense and probably isn't nba ready, so maybe not. he always said he didn't want to play with manu because manu would take up all his time (presumably) but if they start him… or maybe just play him at the 3 with the bench unit and start simmons?

anyway, danny's a great player and it'd be sad to see him go. the guy just fit on the team so well and even took a very team friendly contract to stay.

maybe the cp3 chase is much more real than i ever thought (or hayward. i think he'd be a great fit too)

edit: i like whoever said danny to the cavs, but i'm not sure he can offer enough offense for what they're going for. but he does significantly up their wing defense

RaySmuckles fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jun 22, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Yes... but who :thunk:

Ugh I'm fixing to talk myself into "CP3 is a Spur, mark it" and I'm only setting myself up for disappointment.

hayward would be a good fit i think

maybe trading danny is an additional sweetener to the knicks for king zing

maybe they just want space to sign jsimms, patty, and bring over a new foreign legion :shrug:

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

no way they're trading him, especially since pop did the whole "i'll not retire for you LMA (and also to coach the USA team in 2020)"

but lma and danny for porzingis might be a viable trade and it clears cap space to bring in cp3 too, i believe

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
this offseason is insane

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
when does the madness start?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
so does all the drama happen tonight? or is it more tomorrow after the draft dust settles?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
free agents get signed on the 1st, right?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer
where's my exciting spurs action?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Punkin Spunkin posted:

We're gonna draft some foreign guy nobody's heard of then make absolutely no exciting trades or signings
Hope ur ready

i was ready, but then everyone got me all excited

and lma unfollowed the spurs and poo poo

and there was all this weird drama

loving blue balled

• Locked thread