Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

IcePhoenix posted:

Controversial(?) opinion: I'd take Rose if he's willing to come off the bench. The wolves badly need someone who can score in the second unit.

The problem isn't Rose as a player. He's still a decent enough talent that can play significant minutes.

It's if he's willing to play off the bench and the price he demands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

sean10mm posted:

What NBA teams came close to the Warriors in terms of accumulating star power in a single season? It feels like there have been a ton of "great" teams that had 2-3 stars of varying levels and then some guys, but I can't really think of another example where a team was seen as such a blatant cheat code in the last 30 years.

The Heat acquired Bosh and Lebron, which is better than 1 Durant

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Melo would be way more enticing as a player if he's willing to play PF full-time.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Kibner posted:

We are going to be so underachieving because things will happen that ensure it to be so.

Pelicans are screwed unless they have wings, not combo forwards they slot into the 3 because they have no other choice.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The SituAsian posted:

There's pretty much no way that a Kevin love for Paul George trade would ever happen right?

I have no idea why that trade is considered so legit. It makes zero sense at any level, especially on an asset exchange level.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You won't see max in certain situations because they want to use the cap space first before using bird rights to re sign i.e. kawhi iirc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Steve Kerr in a pod with Lowe basically said Mike Brown won the series against the Cavs, because he was the biggest advocate for just running the Durant/Curry pickNroll and really fought for it in game 5.

Also James McAdoo was going to play but was only stopped because he didn't want to interrupt David West's flow. So thank you, David West for preventing another disaster.

He told a story where he spent all training camp telling KD "If you don't get the ball, just screen and keep moving. Don't just stand here."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm going to be kinda really annoyed if Paul George gets way less than Cousins in a trade

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Wouldn't this give them a big rebounding issue?

The bigger issue with the Cavs is that their only above-average defenders are Lebron and Tristan Thompson, the latter which can be very easily spooked off the court when the teams go small.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The offseason is the most exciting because it's not about the signings as much as seeing how long-standing teams like the Cavs and Clippers deal with horrific cap situations with no way to improve on talent.

What exactly are the Clippers with no assets, letting JJ Reddick walk, and then maxing out CP3 and Blake? Will Wesley Johnson finally see the light of day after randomly getting the full MLE?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's a real shame the Clippers have a bad future because of their bad GM

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's hard to judge because Kyrie's never been on a team with more than like 1 good defender for the regular season. I think it's kinda weird how bad Kyrie+Love are when they're on the floor and Lebron isn't.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Spite posted:

What happens when Orlando plays Brooklyn?

Lin/Lopez pickNroll was fun when Lin wasn't in the hospital.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Follow-up, the team tried to cover it up by taking down the video and editing it out, and then the guy basically went "You don't understand, it was a misunderstanding."

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

DeimosRising posted:

Is George or Butler available for less and who would you rather have hypothetically, with the Celtics roster as is and the roster + Hayward respectively?

Butler by a mile. Longer contract in a team friendly deal.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The only important thing about the Warriors cap situation is that Durant will take about 3 million less which will give the option to keep both Iggy and Livingston. In all likely hood, Livingston will get a big deal somewhere else while Iggy will get 20+ million annually and McCaw will take up the bench minutes.

If the tax becomes too much, they have no bad contracts outside of Iggy and trade either Draymond or Klay for cheaper pieces.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If you want to read an actual good analysis of the Warriors cap situation after re-signing Durant, it's this: https://www.si.com/nba/2017/06/14/golden-state-warriors-offseason-preview-stephen-curry-kevin-durant

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

zoux posted:

So if the Sixers end up with Fultz, who do they play at the 1?

Fultz is a point guard unless all the reports I"ve read are wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The roster gets expensive if he's thinking about maxing someone besides Embiid.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I know it's been a while but this is how Colengaleo thinks.

This is the same guy that said he struggled to get offers on Bargnani and then Masai the very first year got a 1st rounder for him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Protected?

Is Ainge planning on maxing IT?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

That's WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY worse

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is Ainge dying or something

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Yeah, jesus, what can you even get back under those circumstances?

Maybe the Cavs could actually grab him for a season before he bolts now

With what? The Cavs have nothing outside of their core 4. Not even draft assets.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

There was a week when kids were setting themselves on fire as a challenge, like how people threw ice buckets over their head.

Nothing surprises me as far as dumb gimmicks anymore.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lebron plays pf and c in the playoffs, there's no overlap

And paul is really good off-ball

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I thought Jamal Murray was Denver's PG of the future. Or he should be, anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crabbe and Turner are more likely to be salary dumped with the Blazers giving up picks than actually getting players.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Crackpot theory, Ainge is doing some 9th dimensional chess to tank Fultz's stock so he gets him at 3 anyway

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If Paul George could be legit traded for a slightly longer contract of Kevin Love according to multiple sources, the Lakers don't have to give up much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

They still have Jeff Teague to pay. The annual rate for him, George Hill, Lowry, and Jrue will be fascinating in how many of them get 20+ million a year.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Sinteres posted:

Does this kind of policing of blackness/greatness seem super regressive to anyone else? I don't even like Curry, and it's not unreasonable to suspect he hasn't faced all of the same challenges some other players have faced in their lives, but very heavily suggesting he's not black enough to be the best basketball player in the world seems pretty hosed up.

http://theundefeated.com/features/last-word-on-the-nba-finals-lebron-james-kevin-durant/

"As one Hall of Famer specifically stated during the NBA Finals: “LeBron and other players in this league will never accept Curry as the best player. Never! Not only because they don’t consider him a physical freak, or even someone who’s better than them. But their refusal is also because they don’t view him as someone who had to endure the trials and tribulations they’ve endured.

“The public scrutiny. The negativity. Barely any of that. They view Curry as someone folks wanted us all to accept, not as someone like them you were forced to accept because of his greatness. They don’t dislike Curry at all. It’s not his fault. But they do look at him and society … and some say: He’s one of THEM. They would never say that about Durant.”

Translation: Nobody’s writing racial epithets on Curry’s front gate. Nor will anybody be talking behind his back about his family, his “posse,” his representation, his family background, pressuring him to conform to a definition of acceptability — or perform at such a surreal level that it simply doesn’t matter."

Clickbait by Stephen A Smith

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Is the twitter "play nice" rule by the league for team accounts only in effect during the season?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

What do those execs think about Kemba Walker

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand how the Cavs are in the mix of two all-stars with no assets of any kind

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Paul George doesn't want to be traded because he literally can't get the supermax, then

Same reason why Cousins told everyone that he'll be a rental to anyone that trades for him

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I just realized Matt Barnes is probably staying on the team

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm sure that someone mentioned that no GM under Dan Gilbert's tenure has ever re-signed after their initial contract.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

How. With what, a 2030 cavs pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Do it

• Locked thread