Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

So someone help me out here. The Dubs are eventually going to eat poo poo financially for this roster, right? When does that happen, and what implications could it have?

It's going to be very expensive to keep this roster together for more than four years, but not as expensive as the owners were hoping when they thought it would be the Lakers doing this and didn't know the cap was going to increase by 40%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Building like the Spurs means drafting like the Spurs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Kibner posted:

Thanks to you and everyone else who donated to help make that trip possible, btw! We are losing lots of members this summer to graduation and moving for jobs, so it might be difficult to go again next year, but I'll do my best to try to gather new members and go again because we loved it.

----

Rick, validation on the Lakers drafting prowess: http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/sixers/nba-draft-data-76ers-bryan-colangelo-win-shares-20170614.html

Basically, they used win shares and expected win shares in respect to the position a player was picked to determine how much a team's drafted players over/under performed their pick slot.

This is awesome to see. So far the new front office seems to be conducting itself like the old one in regards to the draft if nothing else, so hopefully things continue. I hope?

Cool Buff Man posted:

Griffin for a win now attempt, Hayward for a more stable future. I would love either one obviously and the chances are against signing either of them so it's more about which one would play for Boston

I'm really curious as to what Griffin is going to do. There aren't a ton of leaks about it, and he seems to be keeping a pretty low profile. Normally to me that suggests staying, but someone really savvy about the LA media may just be keeping quiet until they are on the flight out of town.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

You guys think we'll see a top 5 team trade down in the draft? Certainly seems possible
I don't think it will happen, although if you could promise me DSJ or Monk + Markkanen with the Kings picks I'd swap anyone but Fultz for that without much hesitation.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
That was a productive nap, woke up to Woj talking about Lebron to the Lakers (it's weird that people are reacting to THIS story about the Lebron move when they ignored the one from the week ago) and the Clippers getting the gently caress out of Staples Center (it really is the best thing for them).

Spacebump posted:

Clippers would be more fun but a Kobe/PG13/young Lakers would be kind of fun. They'd need a new center. It'd be fun to see the Kobe fans that hate LeBron have to cheer him on.

I don't blame you for not following the Lakers but Zubac is pretty good.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NeuroticErotica posted:

It's mixed with him as an owner. He probably trusted Doc too much. Everything in the Ballmer era feels weird. The Clippers have always been LA's second team, but now it feels like they've really doubled down on being the generic brand. The logos, the uniforms. Chuck the Condor really represents the Ballmer era so well. He feels contrived and focused grouped, yet not really targeting anything. He's also a giant ad for Converse. From his name to his design, it's all an ad. For all the research the did on Chuck, they gave him no lovable qualities. There's nothing to like about Chuck. He has no personality. He's not Cuddly, or Funny, or Anything. He's a mascot for the sake of having a mascot. Everything inside the Staples center has now become an advertisement. Not like the usual stuff - like the Half Court shot to win a Toyota Tundra from Johnny Mnemonic Toyota - like during timeouts now, they'll play ads on the jumbotrons, or, have blatant ad performances on the court. They had one for some razor scooter knockoff and it was basically "Well Chuck likes riding it". They had one for swiffers that was just little kids coming out to dancing with swiffers. Some adults joined them with their own swiffers. When they were walking off the court you could see them just shaking their heads.

I'm not against sponsorships by any means, but it's really hurt going to the game. (More than recent Clipper performance has)

I don't know that's necessarily true. It's nice to have all the LA teams in one destination (minus Dodgers). It's one of the few bits of unity this city has to it. I also think that a lot of the newer Clipper fans, the luxury box crew in particular, is still scared to go below the 10.

It's weird to say this but I think Sterling understood how to market the Clippers to LA really well. Even when it was in Staples it didn't completely lose the grit of the Sports Arena and didn't try to sanitize it or market at families too hard. It might have just been out of neglect rather than intentional but it worked.

I sort of agree that just another place in LA County isn't a wonderful idea, and that they should go to Orange County or IE so they have access to a fanbase that might not otherwise make the trip to Staples. But I do think arenas have identity and that Staples is just too attached to the Lakers. The building is owned by the richest portion of the Lakers ownership group, and even as silent partners they have influence in what happens in the arena, and I think the fact that they dislike Ballmer can't help things.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The worst part for me is the Lakers could've had him but Jeanie chose Magic.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Spite posted:

What happens when Orlando plays Brooklyn?

I remember Smits playing big in the 00 Finals for some reason. And also being a terrible rebounder for being like 7'2"

If y ou pretend that Brooklyn is going to get Capri Sun and orange slices after the game regardless, and a pizza party if they win, it makes watching them a lot more fun.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lmao. The world is really strange.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I'm slightly considering going to the Utah one this year.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/AdamHimmelsbach/status/876279056202964992

I buy that Ainge just loves Josh Jackson, but if the Lakers wanted Fultz could they have beaten this package? Hmm

If the primary goal was picks, the best the Lakers could offer was a 2020, and while plenty could happen that means they still suck then, the 2018 or Kings 2019 are safer bets.

---

Part of me is sad because the fact that Boston seems so locked in to passing on Fultz can cause me to have the fantasy that their was an actual opportunity to get Fultz, which I had written off a month ago, but I still really am impressed by what the Sixers did.

This is a pretty ballsy move in a sense by Boston if Jackson is really their man, because there are at least some voices in the LA front office who are for drafting Jackson, allegedly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

They gotta match salaries so some has to go. They have no one expiring with a big contract and no assets except post Lebron picks. Dumping Kyrie or Love would be the only option unless Pacers like the idea of a TT Turner froncourt and that seems extremely lateral to me. Don't see it happening, but maybe TT plus a far future pick and Phoenix gets a second for Chandler? Far fetched

Paul George would have to play PF if TT was moved in a deal and he'd throw a fit on the ground and kick his legs like a baby if he had to do that.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Denver should pay Mudiay to go to summer league, so he destroys a bunch of first year players and looks awesome and then trade him in late July when teams have missed out on their point guards and are desperate.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Tae posted:

Crackpot theory, Ainge is doing some 9th dimensional chess to tank Fultz's stock so he gets him at 3 anyway

The only player I'm 100% confident the Lakers will draft before Ball is Fultz.

EMC posted:

Is it just me or has PG gone from underrated earlier in his career to fairly overrated now? Maybe it is more an aesthetic thing for me because I kind of hate watching him play compared to a heap of other wings

Punkin Spunkin posted:

My favorite Paul George thing was always seeing that dumb Gatorade/whatever drink commercial during the playoffs while the pacers were totally eliminated and he wasn't doing anything noteworthy
"GAME."

It's me too at least.

The thought is that if the #2 was on the table the Pacers wouldn't be talking to literally everyone but the Lakers right now.

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 19, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Kevin Durant likes women's farts. San Franciscans famously like to smell their own farts. Steph Curry literally IS a woman's fart. Do the math.
I just can't stop thinking of that gross fart poetry song from that old rear end weekend web 😂 def a young grim reaper
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8IGVxmVuc

Oh yeah uhhh I was gonna say something else. I want MY team in on the baseless speculation and clickbait, the Spurs never get ANY attention or credit :qq:

Hilarious.
We got Kawhi from Indiana, why shouldn't we get PG? Don't we deserve it after all these years of ringless suffering? It feels like it's been like, eight years man.
I think any trade should include Davis bertans just for poetry's sake

Paul "I Should Be The One Who Takes The Shot (While Being The Worst Clutch Player in the League)" George doesn't exactly seem to fit in with Popovich's "the play is for the Spurs to score, not Kawhi to score" mantra.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Chris Paul is Borges because some people say he's in the discussion for GOAT and yet he's never even made it past a second chapter

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

I'm betting this is related to the PG13+Lakers thing.

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/876703300120215552

Could be, although Ford says they're looking for the pick to get Kennard.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Someone is a bit cranky that they chose MCW over the Lakers pick.

https://twitter.com/Bucks/status/876822079554945024

A little talked about story is that their draft workouts have been apparently a total mess. I mean they don't have a GM, but a team should still have the organizational competence to run it without him. They also have been stonewalled for workouts. I had them drafting Bam because he was one of the few players projected first round they got in there.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

xbilkis posted:

Sorry to be the Trade Machine Posting Guy, but does this make sense as the parameters of a Chicago/Cleveland/Phoenix deal with #4 going to the Bulls?

I can't decide how much the Bulls would need to be compensated for taking on Knight's salary, since they're going to suck anyway

The one thing I will say about Love's time with the Cavs is it has made the prospect of sitting through a game featuring him in Phoenix to be a much more pleasant idea than when there were rumors of him coming over to Phoenix from the Timberwolves.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I dunno why the Suns would trade for Love at this point. He doesn't fit the timeline of the rest of the team and they'd still probably miss the playoffs.

You have to admit that this is the longest that Sarver has put up with a 1/4-1/2 empty building without a panic move for a player who doesn't really fit with the GM's plan to market around. The fact that he's been holding out this long is commendable.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Well, there goes any chance of them signing David Griffin's son Blake to a deal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I mean he was a big factor in Shaq and Durant. I hope it happens because this will help to get Jeanie Buss chased away.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Yeah I get that, but it seems like he finally got wise to the fact that those half assed moves are the reason they've had an empty building for years. Earlier this year he told season ticket holders that they plan on being a legitimate playoff team by 2020 and that they wouldn't be pursuing any big names this summer. Who knows.

Well, maybe things have changed!

I have honestly thought of buying Suns season tickets, if they had a bus like the Diamondbacks did I would probably.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

annual reminder that Sam Amico's sources are jack poo poo and he's never scooped any of the reliable big names out there. Anyone might reasonably infer that Cleveland is fielding offers for Love because why not, but the odds of him scooping, say, Windhorst, on some Cavs news are nearly zero.

This reminds me. Shout out to Zach Lowe for finally having a rumor he reported early on coming true. One more and he can make it to Chris Boussard "Broken Clock" status.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Lowe doesn't really try to break stories or really claim to be a reporter

Naw, since he started his podcast he's been the big proponent of fake rumors.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

FuzzySkinner posted:

I don't understand lebron leaving for la, but if it's because "gilbert is a shithead", can't say I blame him.

From a perspective of winning it makes no sense though.

This is why I dont' really believe it.

The Clippers can only get a max if they let Griffin or Paul leave this year, and the Lakers will have to take a chunk out of their team to make it possible to get Lebron+Someone Else.

Unless it's just a Michael Jordanesque business decision to try to solidify his shoe sales by making sure to finally get Lakers fans into his brand, it just doesn't make a ton of sense.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Bringing it up on the podcast as a thing to talk about hypotenrically and fill time isn't the same as reporting it but I honestly don't even remember him doing this that often. But then I also do not have some weird grudge against him for writing something mean about Kobe five years ago

He doesn't frame it as hypothetical, he frames it as "people have been telling me."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Of all the players the Cavs can lose, Kyrie seems to be the least ideal other than Lebron.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

morestuff posted:

https://twitter.com/chadfordinsider/status/876996442434535424

Is there something wrong with Russell I should know about? Because I'd do that

Magic's best friend is Byron Scott and he's also failed at everything basketball related that wasn't playing.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Rick please record your reaction when you find out your starting back court is Kennard/Ball

I am considering doing a Mixlr.

Although for what it's worth it takes quite a bit of energy to remain logical enough to not say Kennard is a better pick than Ball. although Kennard is the best pick and roll player in the draft and Ball is the 70th statistically speaking

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Man I just came here to point out that the Celtics scouts were saying they loved Fultz a month ago according to Open Floor podcast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

He's unlikely to resign an extension

He can't be a free agent for three years and that includes the unlikely event where he accepts the QO after the second yeear.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

sum posted:

That would be a robbery by Phoenix. Suns should flip Booker before everyone realizes he's the next MCW.

I'm not 100% sure MCW could score 70 points in 48 minutes alone in a gym.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I don't want to trade for Paul George, putting a known primadonna on a bad team that's going to be bad with him is a bad idea.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Jubs posted:

They had to include Russell to shed Mozgov's contract. They need that money for PG.

No, they don't. There are about 20 ways they could've gotten another 4 million in salary that didn't involve trading D'Angelo Russell.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

It's only a season away, he might literally be the greatest player in the history of the sport, he has zero injury history, and he has shown zero sign of slowly down outside of resting more now, he has a game that will age well. Even if you only get 2-3 years of LeBron at this level or close to it that's worth whatever he'd make.

So why not do the move next offseason then? Like even if the Lakers really hated D'Angelo Russell, they could've made this decision when they were able to know FOR SURE that Lebron was coming over. "Well we had to decline D'Angelo's contract option to create the space for Lebron James and Paul George, who are signing tomorrow" is a lot better than," a "well maybe Lebron and Paul are interested next year so let's go ahead and get rid of him anyway."

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Yes, it's obvious that they don't care about Russell. It's obvious that Ainge doesn't care about Fultz. That doesn't mean these two people aren't loving morons.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

I agree with you on both! I was just confused why you were acting like they were trading Russell because of his contract and not as a way to dump Mozgov

They don't need to dump Mosgov though to do everything they wanted to do, and they certainly don't need to do it now, June 20th, 2017.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Did Dwight sign with NIke?

Spacebump posted:

Dwight Howard from MVP level player to traded for junk at 31. Back injuries can ruin anyone. (and not being allowed to use stickum.)

To be fair the end cost for the Lakers for Dwight was two second round picks as well.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

loving hell what is happening.

lmao

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The part that gets me, is that the Lakers were able to trade for Dwight Howard, with much of the actual value of the trade being in large part out of assets that they didn't actually have. Somehow Mitch got several teams--some against their own best interests--to contribute to the Lakers trading a bunch of expiring contracts and two second round picks for a player who at the time was considered by some to be a top 5 player in the league (not me, but hey, I'm consistent), while still retaining their two best players, while still being already deep in the luxury tax.

I once heard a good story on a podcast somewhere or other that Kupchak would call the GM all the time, always making offers for things the Lakers didn't have, just to always be aware of what hypothetical deal could be made for a player they wanted (some other good GMs do this too, obviously).

Now the Lakers traded one of their best players to facilitate a salary dump that they didn't really need to do (at least at the moment), for something that might only hypothetically happen, without bothering to check to see if the pick they traded for was what either of the teams they are trying to pull a bigger trade off with even wanted, and are now left with yet another pick late in a draft that they fired 2/3 of the primary scouts for.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Rick, if you need assistance, I am more than willing to help out with a murder-suicide :smith:

Thank you friend, I'll be right over.

Rick fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jun 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

TheKevman posted:

Thank you sir! :cheers:

It's good to be back- after a torn to poo poo rotator cuff and a 7 anchor labral repair, as well as bone spur removal and clavicle shaving, I'm happy to be able to move my right arm more than a foot 3 months after the fact!

I watched a poo poo load of Warriors basketball though so that owned.

Congrats Kevman, still happy for you. Well, n ot from the massive shoulder reconstruction (upper torso work is the worst, people really don't know), but other than that, congrats.

• Locked thread