Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

TheKevman posted:

:cheers: Rick! I missed NBA chat :(

I figured it's not like this board needed another Warriors fan though :laugh:

Would people really have been hating on D'Angelo so hard had he not made that stupid recording of Nick Young? I feel like a lot of people just kind of threw him into purgatory and he never struck me as an actual bad player in the way that some seem to have transformed him based on that stupid tape alone.

Or were you talking about Mozgov :rimshot:

Russell probably would've been screwed either way because Byron Scott blamed him for being fired and his number one advocate was Magic. The tape thing definitely had some of the fan base against him, and hurt his perception in fanbases around the league, though, which probably hurt his trade value. But even though a portion of the fan base didn't like him, he was by far the most popular player on the team in a post Kobe world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The weird thing about this is that Phil Jackson was one of the first people to break away from the "let's just draft the next Jordan-like" mold. I like Josh Jackson a lot, but he's not as set up for the modern game as Porzingis and is clearly the lost member of the line of Jordanumenoreans. Clearly Phil Jackson died and the clone they had of him was last updated in 1995.

humpthewind posted:

Why is magic not taking that deal

Good question.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Imagine if the Lakers had a promising young point guard and weren't basically forced to draft a new one at #2

I'm so sorry Rick

)=

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Jackson should just put his money where his mouth is and stretch Melo.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Stu Hart style

Lmao.

Ancient Phil Jackson in his 1970s Knicks gear vs Melo in the 1849 Gold Rush Miner clothes that he got someone to stencil his name and number on that he currently wears in the squared circle would be pretty wonderful.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Even as a draft fan, and a fan of watching the whole draft, the second round might be pretty rough this year since it's mostly the same teams. Although the Celtics literally making up names or prospects by the end might be cool.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I do appreciate the fan idea that the second you get traded you have to be vacated from your personal home.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Ingram is apparently on the table now for Paul George. However deals can't be completed until the pick is made now at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Does Magic have a plan at all

I joke about Phil Jackson, known Knick hater, taking the job to intentionally ruin the Knicks, maybe this is Johnson's plan for revenge against the Lakers for some unknown reason.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

Hey Rick, you got a link or a source on this? Just curious as how good of a source its coming from

Ew, I should've read more, the source is Rick Kamala on a radio show.

I'm just at this point so willing to believe the worst thing said about the Lakers at this point.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Fast Luck posted:

D'Angelo Russell is going to be better than all the other Lakers picks (Randle, Ingram, Ball)

Yeah.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Mudiay is gonna get a better pick than Russell, I'd like to die.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

He really wanted to play for the Celtics, which makes me a bit sad about the whole ordeal

Yeah Fultz is very competitive from everything I've read and seen and I think he wanted the challenge of joining a playoff team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

Hey Rick you big fool why'd you swap Isaac and Jackson in your draft

I fell for Jonathan Giovany's impassioned claim that it was going to happen, that I listened to while driving through the deep southern Arizona desert.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

gently caress you.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

EvanTH posted:

lol nice av dexo

That sounds magical :)

It's pretty cool, although it means going through the scariest border patrol checkpoint on the way back.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Someone tell me who Trey Lyles is and whether I should care that he's a nugget please

He's a big that can hit threes sometimes, but people made fun of me for thinking he was good two years ago.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kingcobweb posted:

Hmm let's see what nba.com has to say about this new PF

Whaaaaat a neeerrrrdddd

I will not say "gently caress you" for calling Tyler Lydon a nerd, he is a major dork, but I had fun watching his college games, it was like high school, everyone constantly cheered for him, and he hit some great shots and had some really nice moves.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I can tell you Bryant more than likely suuuuuuuuuuucks.

Yeah I really don't like him. I watched .. . like 40 guys, I only had maybe four who I was like "wow I really hope the Lakers don't draft that guy" and they drafted two of them.

But then again it's also the 42nd pick so it's hard to feel too badly about it and if you're going to pick him, 42 is about where to do it.

I love Hart. I know almost nothing about Kuzma but he was one of the guys who had a good combine. If Ryan West made that pick I'm sure it will be fine.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Ramadu posted:

the one off of I-19 from nogaes to tucson? that poo poo is nuts. I'm a fat white guy and i got yanked out of the car and they basically stripped my car looking for weed cause a dog thought it was there. I aso saw a bunch of other times when going through there when they were yanking mexicans out at gunpoint and poo poo, it was horrifying. I was aways unhappy when my job had me going through there because of how miserable that poo poo is.

Yeah,that's the one. I was really nervous going through it because sometimes they get really pushy about what you're doing and I was really nervous they weren't going to like "listening to podcasts" at 2:00 AM.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the Lakers' draft aside from Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart both measure well and are skilled and multipositional. Bryant is a whatever swing at someone who might absorb some of those center minutes that right now all belong to Zubac and Tarik Black

John Hammond took exactly the right players for Orlando, in Isaac and Iwundu who fell about 12 picks further than he should have, based on talent and potential. They need an all NBA player, and Isaac had the clearest path, of anyone available to them at 6. The fit with Gordon long term is a problem, but having two very good players at the same position would be a good problem and not a bad problem.

The Raptors got Anuboby at 23 which is unfair, and also means they have a lot less pressure to re-sign all 5 power forwards on the roster

The Pacers got a lot of good prospects despite having bad picks

The Mavericks lucked into Dennis Smith. I don't know why they didn't buy a second round pick, it seems like they could use all the chances they can get, the same goes for the Pistons and Cavs

The kings are stockpiling a lot of high ceiling low floor players, which is a nice change of pace

The only person the Lakers kept from the last front office was Ryan West and other than Lonzo those were all very much the style of picks he made (which isn't surprising, I doubt Johnson had the time to dive into game footage of Kyle Kuzma, I mean I didn't and I barely have anything to do at all in life).

The Blazers draft was the hardest for me to understand.

The Glumslinger posted:

I assume Lopez is gonna take up most of the minutes at center

I guess there really isn't a reason to shut him down in February this year when the Lakers are already mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

tanglewood1420 posted:

For the Clippers it only makes sense to either resign both Paul and Griffin and keep this train rolling, or to let both of them walk and probably trade DJ to blow it all up and rebuild ASAP. What would be quite terrible for them is CP3 resigning early in FA, only for Blake to leave for Boston/somewhere else. They'd be stuck in that 7/6/5 seed no-man's land with CP3 on a mega max weighing them down for years.

If they're making a push for Lebron, having Chris Paul would have to make them the non-Cavs favorites. They have no way of getting to a max at all without one of those guys leaving.

This coming from the guy who did such a good job of being a leader he had to kindly be asked to go back into retirement during his comeback.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Glumslinger posted:

It is a real trip to realize it was extremely possible for the Lakers to have had Shaq and Magic on the team at the same time

I do wonder about that team-that-never-was. In another world where Magic clicks with the young Lakers, add Shaq and maybe he's the veteran leadership that actually makes that team work and not kind of be pretty good but not great until Phil Jackson arrives.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Bashez posted:

Derrick Rose made actual real concrete improvement in his play at the end of last season.

He could be useful if that's real. I have my doubts though.

That's been my point since like March. If he plays like that, and accepts less minutes, he could help a good team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Come on Lonzo, wear a loving shirt correctly.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I watched Donovan Mitchell several times, and I do like the dude, but also he was not really a point guard in college so there is going to be some learning curve there.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

I used to work at a company connected to sports tickets.

We used to get calls from various teams begging us to buy leftover seats for $1-10 each, hundreds at a time, so they could plausibly keep their sellout streaks alive.

Don't worry, Stubhub is there to make sure all those tickets sell for at least $20 dollars, which I guess is nice for teams maintaining fake sellouts, sucky for the families those $10 dollar seats the NBA mandated were meant for.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

WhyteRyce posted:

Wouldn't it benefit LA to get PG now as opposed to later for cap purposes? I'd imagine Indy has decent leverage since if you try to lowball too much Magic will counter

Not really, unless that Indiana is taking back one of the draft picks or Ingram. It is probably more polite than telling Nance and Randle to hit the bricks in 12 months to trade them now, though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
The monkey paw thing gets thrown around here too much, but Dolan firing Jackson because he'd rather do that than buy out Melo is probably not a good sign for the future.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I put whatever team has Chris Paul at #2 behind Cleveland in the LeBron Likely 2019 Playing Place. So that is a reason to sign him.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Earvin Johnson traded Lou Williams for a deep pick and a non-expiring Corey Brewer contract. Morey traded him for Chris Paul.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
D'Antoni's offense is like half ISO ball, I don't know where people get these ideas from.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Away all Goats posted:

I look forward to the garbage fire the East is gonna be (I mean even more so) when Butler, Lowry, PG13 and Milsap all leave for the West

Michael Jordan is going to be the first person who acquired Dwight Howard at the actual most opportune time ever for his franchise.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dexo posted:

man it's weird how a bunch of players become assholes and quit on the mavs, and yet go to other teams play hard and contribute positively to the culture.

:thunk:

I'll send you my newsletter.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

This, seems like a bad trade.

E: Also Sporting News is the network your small market local (or third station big market) AM sports radio station gets its late night programing/hourly news updates (if they're really poor) if they aren't an ESPN station or don't have a contract with Fox (or only have a partial contract with Fox, since they do that). You might also find that you have their station on your cable for some reason, where there's a talk radio section after the Kid Bopz and Ritmo Latino.

"What? Run the Knicks? gently caress YOU!"

Rick fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 30, 2017

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

I'd be pretty happy with Danilo Gallinari so jokes on him

Yeah, Gallo actually fits where Boston is at right now quite a bit if they can't get Hayward or a committed George in or only one of those things and still have money left.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Magic finally has built a championship contender:

That's one of the most talented summer league rosters I've ever seen.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

dokmo posted:

I am still totally confused as to the Paul George deal. Regardless of what Boston offered, there was at least one other deal offered that was much, much better than what OKC offered. And if the intention was to get him out of the Eastern Conference, I know of at least one offer from a Western Conference team that involved picks and didn't involve Oladipo's terrible contact. I cannot get my head around this.

Spite is a hell of a thing.

I think the 2016 draft thread will reflect that I was pretty high on the potential of this dude, although he was years away then.

Does like Earvin think Lebron is a free agent this season? I'm not going to cry too many tears for Black, but he was a decent player and played hard for a bad team and his contract was extremely reasonable. I mean I'd at least like to see Thomas Bryant play before committing to him being the second center for the team.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I feel like Amir could've just sat around a week for teams with lots of money to have holes burning in their wallets to toss him a 4 year deal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

chunkles posted:

:siren: first muscle gain of the offseason :siren:

Sorry friend, Julius Randle was first by a month and some change unless we're using Price is Right rules where because he started weight loss posting in May it doesn't count.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
At this point I've become an Earvin Johnson Accelerationist so every bad move is one step closer to them toppling his statue and sending him away from the Lakers forever. Bring on Rondo.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Did he gain muscle?

YOu know, it's been long enough I don't remember if he gained or lost the 20 lbs but I would imagine with his physique it was probably the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
You lose 15 games per first or second year player you play in your top 7 rotation but maybe the East is bad enough that Philadelphia is still a playoff team.

• Locked thread