Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Strong disagree on the hot seat ranking for Mike Riley, especially if UCF has a good year

MourningView posted:

Nebraska fans were also (justifiably) skeptical of Riley from the start and he immediately had a lovely season that was way below expectations. That fanbase is crazy even when the team is relatively good, so I don't think that's going to be a very long leash.

Agreeing with MV here. I'd say 4/5. There was enough pressure on him after last season's collapse / harsh return to reality that he fired DC Mark Banker after nearly 20 years of coaching together. Not to mention he/his staff have been completely out-coached in several games.

We've had a pretty good recruiting class so far (from what I've heard - I don't follow) which will give him a bit more leash. But if the results aren't there on the field the fan base will start chirping for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

MacIntyre's extension has been approved at Colorado.

The whole timeline is really sickening. Holy poo poo gently caress this school.

gently caress Colorado

There should just be a preemptive investigation any time a coach turns around a fledgling program. Holy poo poo.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Yeah Mike Riley is done this year without a miracle.

Scott Frost come on down!

I'm going to be really disappointed if Nebraska hires Frost at this point. He's still unproven as a head coach.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

Yeah Mike Norvell likely isn't going to be at Memphis for very long.

Are you thinking hired as head coach or coordinator? Curious because couldn't it be argued his success is with Fuentes' players?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

LeeMajors posted:

I maintain that Ryan Leaf should've had one more second for a hail mary in the 98 Rose Bowl. :colbert:

:agreed:

I've said it before, but I really hope Nebraska doesn't hire Frost.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Callahan ran some fuckin' batshit fake plays, man

Check this poo poo out (the guy who catches it was a defensive end)

Hahaha Barry Turner. Oh man that takes me back.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I mean, we've pretty clearly been pointing in that direction. I have no problem with Trev, but I know there's a lot of people who hate him for ending football at UNO even though it was causing their athletic dept to bleed money.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DJExile posted:

poo poo, people still being up John loving Gruden despite him being out of coaching for like a decade.

I was going to say the same but Jim Tressel. Or Chip Kelly (I actually just checked the spelling on Google and the first two suggestions were "Chip Kelly Tennessee" and "Chip Kelly Ole Miss" :lol:)

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

I'd live in Oxford on an AD's salary

(This is the first time I've even heard him mentioned in any of this, so, uh, OK)

I saw his name thrown out by a Husker forum or SB Nation site or something like that via Facebook post (:v:) Glad he's not interested. Why would you want to hire the guy in charge of the Hugh Freeze House of Sleeze? Regardless of if he was part of it or not.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Solich, Callahan, Pelini. Soon to be a fourth???

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

It's not like this is the first time he's ever been a head coach. He was awesome at WKU and they fell off a cliff without him this year. Purdue is way better than they have any right to be, even with a bad loss today. Hazell won 3 conference games in 4 years

Wasn't WKU more of a Taggart success story? Not that I'm doubting his Purdue turnaround - that speaks for itself.

What about Jeff Monken at Army? I know it's triple option, but he's been pretty impressive there.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Emanuel Collective posted:

Comedy option: Chip Kelly

My buddies were talking about him for Nebraska. As a pipe dream mind you, but I was still surprised by it.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

Taggart started it but they only won 7 games with him. They won 10+ games and the conference twice in a row with Brohm. Plus you can tell he's a really good offensive coach just watching those teams. I think he's Petrino without the gross parts.

Just checked Wikipedia and Taggart was apparently was gone from WKU *way* before I thought he was. Legit thought those bowl teams were Taggart's.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

How in the hell do you have such bad S&C coaching that guys are left on their own? How could any head coach not see that as a problem?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

lol what the hell

This is amazing and I hope beyond hope it's all a troll.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Bring the flexbone unto me.

I really want Monken if we can't get Frost.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MourningView posted:

If you’re gonna do this why not aim high and get Ken?

I thought Ken was a Navy lifer I guess. Plus, Monken turned around one of the worst programs in FBS.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Did Fisher ever move with the team to LA at any point? Or did they fire him before that happened? Curious if he's already in LA.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I think an argument can be made for UF not being a top-10 job, but that's really getting down to arguing semantics. About the only schools I would for sure put ahead of them are Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame, Bama, Miami, and Florida State. The last two simply because of more tradition/longevity.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I was a few pages back, but I saw this:

MourningView posted:

Really feel like Nebraska can talk themselves into this if Frost turns them down

and immediately said:

Noctone posted:

gently caress no

My buddies and I were also talking about how we would have no idea how to deal with a situation where Bielema is Nebraska'a head coach.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Moos just told a Leach story during the Riley firing press conference. I'd take Leach over Bert in a heartbeat.

I'd prefer keeping Mike Riley to hiring Bert. I want NOTHING to do with him.

e: I really like Moos after this press conference

Dango Bango fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 25, 2017

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Not following recruiting I don't know the details, but seeing Nebraska get smoked by guys from the state is frustrating.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

if you're Oregon State why wouldn't you just hire Mike Riley back instead of hiring some other dude who will inevitably underperform?

3rd time's a charm, right? But I could see Riley stepping aside slash retiring with his age and the $6.6M we'll be paying him. v:shobon:v

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

I think Sumlin in the Pac-12 will be a good fit (if the ASU rumors are true).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The replies on this are amazing.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

nachos posted:

Never doubt the 2017 carousel

If the regular season was batshit in 2007 and the carousel was this nuts in 2017, I can't wait to see what 2027 has in store :suspense:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

Lookin' for a soldier not a pirate

What's Kellen Winslow Jr. up to these days?

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Herm Edwards is such a horrible fit for ASU's party culture. It's going to be amazing.

And I'll nth the :lol: Tennessee

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Outlaw Mailman posted:

gently caress it, make Riley the basketball coach. Nobody expects wins anyway.

Tell that to people who are starting to call for Miles' job.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Mahoning posted:

If Jimbo leaves FSU then the top 4 winningest programs of the 90’s will all change coaches in the same year.

FSU
Nebraska
Florida
Tennessee

Can we go back? :ohdear:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Qwijib0 posted:

no, no this looks like a very popular hir..

:haw:

This is amazing :allears:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

The "Dilly Dilly" in the corner takes this from :aaa: to :aaaaa:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Watching Frost's press conference has me beyond hyped for next year.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Frost announced seven assistants, all of whom were at UCF, and three of whom played for Nebraska (including Barrett Ruud, who is simply a good dude)

He brought his whole defensive staff with him. Which has me...concerned.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Honestly I don't know enough about their D beyond the scoreboard, so I don't have an opinion on it, really. but UCF is currently #91 in total D, which is seven spots better than Nebraska!

My concern is based on the complete lack of any attempt at tackling by UCF in the games I've watched (most notably USF and Memphis). DBs especially. They would just throw themselves at the ball carrier -- no wrapping up or technique at all.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

UCF's defense ranked middle of the road in most advanced stats; they ranked 53rd in scoring defense. That isn't great but it's certainly better than 91st overall. They also ranked near the bottom in time of possession.

Hmm. Out of curiosity I pulled both Nebraska and UCF's oppenents' total offense ranks. UCF's schedule average was 59 while Nebraska's was 58.5 (thanks Rutgers and Illinois).

And practically anything is an improvement over Bob "Civil ConFLiCT" Diaco in the first place.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

General Dog posted:

I think if you take away Tennessee's repeated foot-shooting it's a busy but not mind-blowing year.

True, but at the same time UF, Texas A&M, Nebraska, Tennessee, Arkansas, ASU, and UCLA all fired their coaches. And that's even before the carousel started turning and the FSU, Oregon, and Miss St jobs all came open.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Frost is officially bringing his entire UCF staff to Lincoln, which is weird but not really (three or four of them are Nebraska alumni)

Not going to lie, part of me hoped he would bring in Jason Peter and Grant Wistrom to coach DL (i.e. do all the coke and cut pro wrestling promos on the defense).

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

https://247sports.com/college/tennessee/Article/Tennessee-Vols-football-Full-details-of-Tennessees-MOU-with-Greg-Schiano-revealed-112131920

:eyepop: jesus loving christ look at that contract, Tennessee dodged a goddamn bullet

Also can I get a built-in annual raise of $50,000

$50k is still only 1% of the base salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Real Name Grover posted:

Hey DJ, sounds like y'all are getting a new D-coordinator in the form of one Carl Pelini

How are BG's coeds?

• Locked thread