Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.
Only two Big XII coaches I really see going anywhere are Texas Tech where Kliff would have been gone last year if the money had been there and Kansas State, where Bill Snyder is prolly going to retire at the end of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dango Bango posted:

There should just be a preemptive investigation any time a coach turns around a fledgling program. Holy poo poo.

Colorado has won a national title duder.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Pakled posted:

Yeah but that was almost 30 years ago and they've been dogshit in the last decade until this season.

Also that 1990 title was illegitimate and we all know it. :colbert:

take a look at who went to more big xii conference title games lol

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Kevin Sumlin's job is extremely over.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Komet posted:

I think Al Golden would be a good coach somewhere. He was obviously never a good fit at Miami (and wouldn't be at Tennessee), but I could see him at a place like Illinois or Duke when Cutcliffe retires.

Or an American team, like say, UCF after Nebraska scoops up Scott Frost.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Re: Fuente

I don't think he'd leave Tech for Florida, but you never know. I think the Tech job is a really, really good gig. They have excellent facilitates, plenty of money, are in the weaker of the two ACC divisions, and have a national brand. It's not like Tech isn't a top 25 program or better.

I would also think Scott Frost would be more interested in the Nebraska job, but you never know.

If you're Florida, I would think the list is:

Dan Mullen
Charlie Strong
Scott Frost
Matt Campbell

Crotch Bat posted:

The rumors from rival fanbases (read: UVA) say he's a terrible interview (possible) and a mad drunk (possible but not probable). You never really hear those things ever inside the fanbase even from fringe fans who wouldn't care about saying a rumor like that about a beloved coach and I've heard my fair share of poo poo about the staff over the years so I don't lend a ton of weight to it, especially not when far bigger known pieces of poo poo get HC jobs everywhere. He's very no-nonsense which is usually a poor HC quality for a major program when it comes to dealing with media, recruits, etc. although there's something to be said for him going from a very, very bad recruiter to an average one the past 4-5 years.

My personal opinion is he backed himself into a corner on purpose because he knew how good he had it here. He publicly refused to take other DC jobs (why would you if you were him) or to take a G5 or traditionally bad P5 job although he was probably approached dozens of times over the years for this or that, most famously by SOS to DC for UF in '98. If he was going to go somewhere it'd have to be a top-40ish school and those are hard but not impossible to get with no HC experience whatsoever no matter how talented you are as a coordinator. I also think Frank promised him the job or slotted him as such with the old AD, Jim Weaver. Problem was not only did Frank hang around too long but Jim Weaver got terminally ill and had to retire before Frank and so unless VT hired from within (absolutely no chance) for AD he wasn't going to get the job since Beamer would have no pull with a new AD who wasn't about to hitch his wagon to Frank's whims. If Weaver had stayed healthy I think Bud would be the HC but between that and Frank hanging on too long it screwed him. VT hired Babcock, who is probably a top 5-10 AD currently, and the choice was made.

I'm not sure how Bud would have done. I think he'd have hired an ace OC but I don't know how recruiting would go and I don't know about him as the big chief. Given his age I don't think he'd have been there for long and odds are I think his tenure would have ended on a bad note and forever soured his stay in Blacksburg where he will leave as admired or moreso than Beamer. I think Bud made peace with all of that when Weaver had to step down early which is why Babcock was able to convince him to stay and whenever he leaves they're going to name something for him, which is virtually unheard of for an assistant. I feel for him but sometimes things just aren't meant to be. The day that man retires I will weep because it's difficult to point out a non-HC who has carried a program further and longer than Bud Foster.

From what I know of when we interviewed him back when Rod left he was not a great interview, but was really being considered for the job.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 30, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Real Name Grover posted:

Everything out there is conjecture right now. Already read a couple columns today that say he would opt for UF because of the talent base, but nobody loving knows; Frost walks to the beat of his own drat drum

We went over this last go round with Florida, but its not exactly the big job everyone makes it out to be. Their facilities are kind of lovely (have improved), not terribly well managed, and you're going to be under a lot of pressure to win right away. You're also inheriting an offense that has sucked under two different head coaches and five different coordinators.

I think Nebraska is also not the job people think it is anymore, but you'd think Scott Frost would be more interested in going to his alma mater than going to Florida.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

It's hard to imagine Leach would want to put up with all the extra bullshit and pressure that comes with coaching Florida but maybe if they pay him enough or he doesn't like whoever the new Wazzu AD is

Leach doesn't seem like the type of guy UF would want to have; I don't think they'll want to deal with Chip Kelly either but if you don't at least talk to him -- why are you bothering, y'know?

I don't know if another NFL team is willing to roll the dice on Kelly, but who knows. NFL GM's are strange.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

an adult beverage posted:

I think a major thing in Florida's favor is that it will be the best job available for this hiring cycle.

And yeah I don't want any more Saban assistants or retreads.

It is if they move early in the cycle, which is why I think they pulled the trigger now. It's possible you could see Notre Dame open if Brian Kelly takes an NFL job.

an adult beverage posted:

Plus Florida has already had multiple opportunities to hire Strong, if they wanted him they would have already had him (and probably fired him by now).

What is, racism.

For what it's worth, I think Strong would be a much better fit at Florida than he was at Texas. I've said since the very moment he was hired he was lovely fit for Texas and I was 100% right about that. Texas is a job that requires a person to be extremely media/booster affable in a way like Notre Dame does, and that was just absolutely not his strong point. Florida is absolutely not that kind of a program, but I also don't think he'd be terribly interested in going back into that scrum, but you'r an idiot to not give him a courtesy call.

He's an excellent coach and recruiter who rebuilt Louisville.

Demon Of The Fall posted:

Tennessee athletics prints money. They can afford any buyout.

The only thing I can think of is that Currie is waiting to fire Butch and then introduce the new coach at the same time. That's the only way this makes sense.

I don't know what universe you're living in, but this is real dumb.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 30, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

:ughh:

Not every slight is attributable to racism. Strong has landed HC jobs at Louisville, Texas, and USF; he's doing just fine. Bud Foster and Venables have been star coordinators for years. Sometimes, it takes a while. It took ages for Kirby Smart to get a top HC opportunity.

Dude, he was straight up passed up for SEC jobs because he has a white wife and this is pretty well documented.

See here: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-01-07/sports/strong07_1_head-coach-hiring-a-coach-interracial-marriage

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What's real dumb? That Tennessee can't afford to pay someone a buyout? Or that they might be waiting to hire a new coach at the same time they fire the old one?

The second part (Butch's buyout is prolly not a concern for them.)

That is almost never how modern searches work.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's just a bad look. Like backdoor deals obviously happen but you don't want it to appear as though you were out looking for your next coach before you bothered to fire the one you have now. Even if everyone does it to some extent.

Even when it's so completely obvious you're going to fire your coach like it is here.

It's not even just that. There's all sort of legal issues going, as well as that most searches are ran through head hunter firms.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

It seems more likely that if they have made a decision to fire Butch, that they're either going to let him coach out the year out of respect or they're still working out the details of a buy out.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

No chance the former is true.

I would guess so too, but just offering it as a possible explanation.

It also seems possible a decision hasn't been made.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

I can't say how he was at booster gladhanding, but Strong was pretty great at the media stuff. He seemed nervous at the very beginning, like his introductory press conference, but very quickly developed a relaxed/confident/affable demeanor in front of the cameras. Better than Herman, that's for sure. Strong came across as really genuine most of the time, and he had a countrified charm to him. Herman comes across like an arrogant spergy douche, most likely because he is an arrogant spergy douche. I think Herman will probably end up being more successful than Strong, maybe very successful, but he is not what you would call an "affable" guy. And if he wins, nobody will care.

In general I reject the idea that you have to be some kind of politician to be the coach at Texas. If you win a shitload of games, everyone will like you just fine. If you don't, you'll be looking for work in 3-4 years, whether people like you or not. Despite what some might have you believe, Texas fans overwhelmingly liked Strong and wanted him to succeed, but the product on the field wasn't there, so that was that. All of Mack's accomplishments here, all of his love for the spotlight, and all of his coziness with our biggest boosters didn't let him survive more than four years of poor-to-mediocre results.

This is mostly all laughably untrue.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

His wife isn’t being paid 4 mil a year to coach football.

This is insanely dumb.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Charley Strong was a really bad coach at Texas. He lost to Kansas, and not because he had to be nice to boosters or go on TV. Being a bad cultural fit doesn’t explain why his teams could play neither offense nor defense.

Could it possibly be that one leads to the other. :thinkingface:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

Or maybe he's just a bad coach who can't do anything unless he has a transcendent quarterback in a bad league

:lol:

Louisville was a dumpster fire when he took over between Petrino being bad at long-term planning and Kragthorpe crashing and burning.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

Okay, then explain to me exactly how he had 3 straight losing seasons at Texas. Is he such a feeble man that he drained all his energy schmoozing at night and had nothing left to coach all the 4 and 5 stars in the morning?

Or is he maybe just not that good of a coach? He was fine with the media and almost everyone I've ever talked to wanted him to succeed and was pumped for a long time until it was clear he couldn't get it done.

I think it was just a lovely fit; and everything I've ever heard about him from people who've been around him is that he does not like the sort of media spotlight. It can be a variety of things

I also think you can be a bad fit or have a bad run somewhere and not be "a lovely coach." Especially since the results on the field at Texas were never the same as what he's produced in his other jobs.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LLCoolJD posted:

You know that's not what I said. But congrats to you, Disney prince defender of women.

Getting pestered about the performance of the team is part and parcel with being a high profile coach (and, apparently, their spouse). If anyone is out of line, instead of simply annoying/rude (which is what this sounded like), there are ways to address it. Rude fans are not something I condone, but it's bound to happen. Based on my personal experience with grocery shopping in Gainesville, you do get harassed - by drug addicts claiming they need gas money.

You're a loving moron.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Behold the VT staff after losing in embarrassing fashion in yet another major game.

loving :laffo: if you can't see this stuff.

keep going, i am almost there

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Leaf Lock posted:

Kiffin is ON TOP of the C-USA so there must be something to him.

CUSA is garbage?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

I don’t think running your QB forty times a game is really “pro style”

Is Dykes really any different from Kliff? I know he has history with the school and they want to keep their offensive identity but he he seems like basically the same guy. I’d rather go with an up and comer like Brown or Littrell

Name can mean a whole lot though.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Kliff is certainly not lacking a name that Tech fans recognize

Sure, but when do people ever learn from their mistakes (not that I entirely think Dykes would be a mistake.)

kayakyakr posted:

Biggest difference is that Dykes is more of a CEO-style while Kliff is better as a OC. Dykes also has a much more established history as a good recruiter and is much more animated on the sidelines.

Perhaps most importantly, he'll come cheap as TTU's gonna owe Kliff ~7.5 million.

Brown's biggest downside is that he's younger than Kliff is.

Littrell's going to be criticized for being too tied to Leach (especially since his OC would likely be Graham Harrell).

I think that Hocutt's approach will be to call Venables first (they're old friends) and make him say no. Then he might consider calling Dana Holgerson and/or Matt Campbell, just for the hell of it. Then each of Neal Brown, Sonny Dykes, Seth Littrell, and Dave Aranda will probably be interviewed. I don't think Frank Wilson gets a call, but Todd Orlando might.

Some donors will probably try to push Art Briles, but if that happens, I'm disowning my school. I think there are enough influential folks against it that he won't actually be talked to.

The tendency here, after an OC-style coach failed, will be to go CEO or defense-oriented. That's why I think Brown and Littrell are at a disadvantage. My odds in favor of Aranda would be higher, but I'm not sure he'd be interested, despite TTU being his alma mater.

I wouldn't be shocked if Dana jumped for another job this year, but I'd be pretty shocked if it were for another Big XII job.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

I would be as well. There was some weirdness with his departure from Tech, too, which would make things all the more awkward. Though the biggest thing is that I assume Holgs has a pretty substantial buyout. We can barely afford Kliff's, so we're going to have a really hard time with Dana.

Doesn't mean Hocutt wouldn't consider giving it a shot.

You can actually get Dana on the cheap! His buyout to leave is only like 2.5m if leaves after Jan 1, 2018.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Dana seems firmly in the “probably too good to fire, not good enough for someone else to try to hire” zone now

Our fans are routinely idiots about it, but I generally agree. He's a good fit here and has pretty much embraced the culture. He also is fine letting Huggins be the big deal and doesn't compete with him for screen time. I don't know how great of a relationship he has with our AD, but I also don't think it's bad enough to matter.

Like I said I wouldn't be shocked if he took another job, but I am also not really expecting it either.

kayakyakr posted:

It'd be hard to wait until Jan 1 to make the hire with the new early signing period.

It's like 500k difference though so, prolly not a big deal.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

vyst posted:

Kliff come be OC for Florida. I want your air raid inside of me

Kliffy gonna be WVU's oc after Spavs is the new HC at like UTEP.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

Fair enough, but that's how Herman describes his offensive identity. And for reasons that are not clear to me, he's been pursuing pocket passers lately (Kyle Allen at Houston and our 2017 QB commit). I don't know if he thinks he'll just turn them into dual threat guys, or if that's not really what he wants to do in the long run, or if he's just going for QBs with a lot of upside and figuring he'll be able to play to their strengths, or what.

As far as who might be a good fit to replace Beck, what's the deal with the offensive staff at Kansas State? I know Snyder is the architect, but does he call the plays? Dana Dimel is listed as "co-offensive coordinator" and I don't see anyone else with an OC title on their official page. I feel like KSU's offense resembles what Herman is trying to do in terms of efficient physical offense run from the spread with plenty of QB runs mixed in.

I don't think you're replacing Tim Beck.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Korranus posted:

Kyle Allen is so useless to a run-pass option offense that I think Herman used him for publicity. Allen will grad transfer out next year and I hope he finds a good program for a pocket guy to start at.

My guess is WVU if Grier bounces

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 6, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

i mean my guess is gator isn't going to put up that much of a fight for him, especially if they gently caress around and lose to usf

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Neil Armbong posted:

Tom Herman had a presser yesterday where he was emphatic no staff changes this year and he values consistency over all else. So he's hitching his success to Beck.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

Zero reason not to give him a shot.

it can't be worse.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ockytop/comments/7cmnsd/monday_rumor_thread/dprlczo/

I don't know how to break it down by specific comments but that's where it starts with the Grizzlymint guy. He doubles down a couple times when people call BS.

There's more but eh

Richt is absolutely not leaving his alma mater for UT. Good lord.

Joey Freshwater posted:

You talking about Barnes?

2015-16: 15 - 19
2016-17: 16 - 16

Eh. But there's not a ton of expectations for the mens bball team either. Granted they're higher than that especially with noted successful coach Rick Barnes coming in, but nobody really cares.

Given the fuckin' mess he came into, uh? No. Barnes has done a really solid job so far of rebuilding the program and they should compete for an NCAA bid this year with a bunch of talent back.

We joke about Barnes being kind of a lovely coach, but dude has a bunch of wins and is prolly a better coach than Tennessee deserved after running Martin off, and then hiring the walking NCAA violation as his replacement.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 13, 2017

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Freshwater posted:

Did you read anything I wrote because lol

the good lord wasn't directed at you, but you're absolutely wrong about Barnes

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

Seems like a soft landing place for McElwain.

He'll be at Alabama next year.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Scionix posted:

Chip Kelly scared AF of Saban lol

I don't think Kelly gives a single gently caress about Saban

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Joey Jones out at South Alabama

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/932758351439466496

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

His record is good enough on paper that I have a hard time believing he won’t be able to get another head coaching job. His name is already coming up for open jobs now.

probably depends on what opens up once things start resolving at the top, but yeah i would guess if he wants a G6 or lower p5 job he can get it

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

They’ve been mostly average at best since the 80s outside of a couple big years early in the Bob Toledo run and even that’s like 20 years ago now. It’s been awhile. As mentioned football isn’t a huge priority and they don’t have great facilities. They’re a distant second behind basketball at UCLA and way behind USC football in LA. It’s definitely not a terrible job and like just about anyone they can be great if they make an awesome hire, but it’s not as easy a place to win as people seem to think.

I mean part of it is UCLA does or did everything on the cheap.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Schiano is an rear end in a top hat but he’s a really good coach

he's a lovely in game decision maker, but he'd be fine for most p5 schools

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

Sumlin will probably be on Tech's list.

Sumlin to UCLA w/ Kliff back as OC makes a lot of sense too.

i am told there's a pretty good chance kliff comes to wvu after spav takes a job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Can we have more Rutgers chat in the Coaching Carousel thread please it is truly enthralling stuff

as an enemy of rutgers athletics, absolutely it owns

• Locked thread