Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Gary Anderson would be a great pickup for an American or MWC school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

If you're not willing to lick the boot, then really why are you in politics lol? Everything is a cycle of just getting stomped on so why do you want to lose to it over and over, just submit like me, I'm very intelligent.
Hot take for Nebraska: just hire Mike Leach. You gotta be able to outbid Wazzu, right?

Real Name Grover posted:

So here's a thing from the Omaha World Herald. Obviously Riley's fate depends on this hire, unless the university president wants to fire him now and let Bob Diaco take over going into a bye week, gently caress if I know anymore.

Let me tell ya, as a fan of a team that witnessed Diaco's coaching magic up front, this is a bad idea.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

It's fun watching how Nick Sabah is driving the SEC insane by both sucking up talent that would normally be distributed among several teams, and also forcing teams to implicitly compete against him in an impossible situation.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

General Dog posted:

Charlie Strong must have been doing something right with the media when you compare the level of sympathy expressed after he was fired compared to what Mac and Butch are receiving after marginally more successful tenures.

This is an extremely good point. MacElwain produced much better results, got asked whether he actually hosed a shark, and is now being gleefully run out on a rail by a fan base that seems unwilling to accept anything lower than Chip Kelly himself.

Meanwhile, a lot of people were really sad to see Charlie Strong go, including myself. I am definitely rooting for Strong and hope he does get another shot at P5 coaching.

I just think that the hate surrounding the SEC has got to be overwhelming from a first person perspective.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

He would be pretty good at raising assloads of money for Texas and as a general media personality for the school. As long as he shows as much interest with meddling in football as he did with meddling with Greg Davis, I think they would be fine.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

MourningView posted:

Just imagine someone in a dumb accent saying that all the coaches are workin’ hard and doing a real nice job

Someone clearly didn't listen to his color commentary of the 2016 Alamo Bowl.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Hot take: Herm Edwards is a good choice for ASU because Todd Graham already had them at their realistic peak, and if they want to go higher they should do something absolutely bananas. Hiring Herm Edwards counts as bananas.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

swickles posted:

I think its usually less "This person must stay" but more along the lines of "you have to have one of these people on your staff because they have all the recruitment relationships for our base". He was probably told to hire someone who has strong Florida connections and Shannon was a logical choice.

Yeah, but ADs are likely to favor the kind of mediocre but “proven” talent of a guy like Randy Shannon. It’s handicapping the program for no reason and helping these has-beens stick around.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

There’s just about no way that Pruitt or Fisher live up to their expectations. Unless Saban retires and Smart regresses, A&M and Tennessee are going to be looking for a new coach once their coaches get to mere third-in-Division levels, losing to the best coach in college football history like some kind of loser.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Cristobal, when Norvell was right there?

nate fisher posted:

What? Our exceptions are not that high. Right now we just want to get back to beating the teams we should have beaten over the last couple of years (like Vandy, UK, and South Carolina). That was my biggest issue with Butch Jones. After 3 years of that we can start to talk winning our division. Now if we hired Gruden or Gundy I would agree with you.

That said I agree with you about Fisher. I am willing to bet Fisher never wins his division, and given how much hype/money there is noway that is not a major letdown..

I have no doubt firing Butch Jones was the right call, and maybe Tennessee has a way more reasonable fan base than I’m assuming. But between bringing back Fulmer getting people thinking about his glory days, hiring a Saban assistant, and having Alabama as their biggest rival, I think it’s going to end up inviting a lot of unfavorable and unfair comparisons.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Kim Jong Il posted:

Robb Smith, who's now at Minnesota.

The teams off the top of my head that need OCs:

Rutgers
Missouri
Illinois
LSU
South Carolina
Syracuse
And it's rumored that Michigan is trying to get Fisch and or Enos on top of Hamilton, which is odd.

Rhett Lashlee from UConn, formerly Auburn, had a good 2017 given what he had to work with and is getting some play.

If Rhett Lashlee moves on, just fold the program. He’s all they got now.

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

Rhett Lashlee, former Auburn OC, currently UConn OC, goes to SMU as OC.

Between this and the loss to Tulsa in basketball, great 24 hours for the Huskies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democrazy
Oct 16, 2008

I want you guys to remember these types of reactions to a 10th coach hiring when you say that Texas fans are bad

• Locked thread