Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gus should make it to the end of the season at least -- should be favored against everyone until Georgia and I don't even know if I'm scared of a stumble in any of those as bad as the SEC looks this year. Now is he actually safe winning nine but losing the exact three everyone cared about? That probably depends on the turmoil in the athletic department and the nature of the losses -- the Iron Bowl would have to be bad enough for a Sunday morning firing cause they couldn't let him coach probably a decent bowl with a shot at a tenth win if they really wanted him gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Barfield fired, Dye "retired" as the NCAA hammer came down, Bowden fired, Tuberville officially resigned but you can count it, Chizik fired.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Gus Malzahn is garbage and to the greatest extent legally permissible I hope his house burns down

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Just pay the buyout, whatever Mac did is probably pretty dumb but it's not worth sending this message to the next coach you want to hire.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

So I'm pretty sure Malzahn might have lucked himself into another year with all of these SEC opening that look likely. I think it's all going to come down to the A&M game for him. I think if Auburn wins Sumlin is fired and Auburn waits for a more stable year to look for a new head coach. If Auburn loses I think they have to beat Georgia and Alabama for him to save his job and I don't see that happening.
Yeah as frustrating as he can be is we're clearly not as bad off as all the schools that have to pull the trigger this year and it's not worth jumping into that market. Plus I think you need a really good reason to throw away what Kevin Steele's built -- that defense lost Carl Lawson and Montravious Adams and got better. That's something very few programs manage to do, and I'd love to see if he keeps it up another year.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

I think the loser of Auburn-A&M is in pretty deep trouble, although I think Auburn would be crazy to fire Gus regardless.
My position on this is that we probably shouldn't but I don't think it's "crazy" if at the end of the season we're talking about a Gus who pretty much hasn't won a single game we really care about in four years.

Everyone I hear saying it's nuts (Steven Godfrey and BillC on Podcast Ain't Played Nobody take this side a lot) sounds like they're a) actually retroactively defending Mark Richt, who Gus ain't and b) importing a lot of assumptions about how trigger-happy Auburn is that I think have gained a memetic currency greater than their truth (Dye got us hosed so hard by the NCAA we got a TV ban the next year -- last major program to ever get one?, Bowden was 0-5, couldn't recruit once Dye's players left and was supposedly boning someone he shouldn't, Tuberville had probably earned one more year but if you wanna tell me you think he would've turned it around you're just lying, anyone wanna go to the matresses for Gene Chizik? didn't think so)

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

UF won close and got destroyed by any contending team. Destroyed.

And these scores aren't even as close as they appear.
God I miss Auburn having Florida as a second permanent cross-division rival so much.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

OK guess I can retract this now

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Gus Malzahn is garbage and to the greatest extent legally permissible I hope his house burns down

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

An uh unsettling amount of serious talk that, in the event of a loss to Bama, Gus may voluntarily self-demote to the relatively low-pressure Arkansas job. Had kinda vaguely been brought up as a hypothetical on the 24/7 Auburn site's podcast earlier in the season as like an alternative to him getting straight-up fired but they always phrased it as just speculation, not backed by any actual reporting. Now that he beat Georgia and presumably silenced any questions about his security, SBNation is running with it as a serious possibility.

My *guess* is that this doesn't come to pass -- clobbering Georgia, the kind of meaningful win we've been waiting for since the Kick Six, earned him a degree of goodwill far beyond last season's six-win streak that saved his job but didn't really make anyone happy. He genuinely has some cushion now (and I'm still at this point ~50% he's gonna beat Bama for the SECW title which would probably earn a raise/extension). It's still loving weird to be having this conversation, and hard to gauge given the larger uncertainty surrounding the athetlic department with Jay Jacobs on the way out.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Joey Freshwater posted:

I dont know Gus’s history, is he an Arky guy? Why would he go there? Auburn is a better job.
From Arkansas, made his name in Arkansas high school ball, wife's from there, OC'd there for that weirdly successful but ill-fated 2006 season. Auburn is obviously a tier above but you can tell a story that sends him back there.

It's also not like he's univerally loved there -- that 2006 season was an insane cauldron of drama and plenty of Arkansas people did not side with him.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Is there a solid idea about what Ole Miss is going to do?

A&M please take Jimbo or at least look dumb trying cause in the (I'm still thinking unlikely) event Gus decides to bail for the lower-pressure environment of Arkansas I don't want him to be our target.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Noctone posted:

I would think highly unlikely? Y'all are two wins away from the playoff.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/16/16667542/gus-malzahn-arkansas-coaching-search-bret-bielema

There's more talk than I would like

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

Two wins from the playoff, but half the fanbase will be yelling for Malzahn to get fired if they don't make it.

Also, fun stat I heard today: Auburn and Ole Miss are the only two SEC teams with players on their roster who have a win over Bama. I can see a scenario where Gus wants to go a program that will celebrate him getting 8-9 wins a season and making a decent bowl.
Yeah exactly. I don't think it was insane to be unhappy with his performance over the last four seasons before the Georgia win, but that game should have settled it. Even if we lose in any non-embarrassing fashion Saturday (and I'm like disturbingly confident about this game to an extent I can't ever remember being since the Saban era started in earnest in 2008) he absolutely kicked the poo poo out of Georgia in exactly the way we've been craving. 1 of the last 7 over our two biggest rivals is objectively not great, but we have a pretty decent shot at getting an NY6 bowl even with a loss and this season feels so much better than last year's completely lifeless trip to the Sugar Bowl. I would hope all the people that matter would have spent the last two weeks voicing their confidence in him, but they probably haven't and that's why this is an open question.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

I think he has hit his ceiling at Miss State, and there is a chance he goes some place that's easier to recruit to see if he can at least get to the sec championship.
Especially in the East -- there's exactly one team I'm confident will contend in each of the next two or three years and like four that absolutely won't.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bielema sounds like a terrible fit for the Pac-12. I know Stanford exists but they're weird for a reason.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/934961907081113600

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

omg this thread owns

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

General Dog posted:

I'd agree it's a risky move, but here's the contrarian take- Bama aside, the west is going to be composed of a post-Mullen Mississippi State, a (likely) sanctions impaired Ole Miss, an Ed Orgeron-helmed LSU, and whatever Arkansas decides to be. For the immediate future, it's not necessarily going to take a herculean effort to reach the point where you're competing for #2 in the division. A&M has high expectations, but if he's winning 9 or 10 games a year he's going to be just fine for a long time.
Hmm i feel like you have left out a team or two from your analysis, like possibly one that is about to win the goddamn natty bitch

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Also: "generational" or "once in a generation" has been applied to Cam, RG3, Jameis, Johnny Football, Deshaun, Lamar, etc. That's at least six guys of the same generation.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

FWIW sounds like Auburn reporters are still expecting Arkansas to come at Gus with as much money as they can muster and dare him to turn it down; expectation is it ends with Auburn giving him an extension with a raise but more importantly a gently caress-you buyout and assistant money but still, they're saying it's not zero chance he would go under the right circumstances.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If that goes down it's gonna own. I don't know if he cracks a ceiling higher than 10 wins but it's gonna be fun to watch.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Honestly Florida and Tennessee should trade their new coaches, better fits for both.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What is FSU owed for a buyout?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I mean I want Gus to stay but I'm not giving him $7m. You don't get $7m long term when you're capable of looking as stupid as he does on a regular basis.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Glad we kept Gus with little drama; not my money so I shouldn't really give a poo poo but I think fair is closer to $6m than $7m and we'll probably need to spend some more to keep assistants.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I imagine you'd have to fight us pretty hard for Steele.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Kevin Steele missing Broyles Award presentation today, as he is also meeting with Fulmer reportedly.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/BruceFeldmanCFB/status/938085039874740224

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'd prefer Tennessee leave Mel alone and take Pruitt.
Honestly I think Steele is a bigger blow to us than Pruitt to them, and you play us every year. Counting Saban's expertise they'll get a replacement-level defensive hire, no problem. We've never had this kind of top-10 defense going in the Malzahn era, and will have to make another inexplicably perfect hire like Steele to do it again.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

That's a bad take but it did remind me that I had some leftover Popeyes biscuits in the kitchen and I'm eating one now and it owns so actually it's a good post

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Was Pruitt ever in the mix for an HC job before?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Who were the other realistic options for Oregon at this point in the carousel anyway besides random MWC OC

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn takes Memphis's DB coach for their tenth man.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Brian Daboll to the Bills?!?!?!

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Speak of the devil
https://twitter.com/BarrettSallee/status/953090127307464705

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Herb Hand leaving Auburn for the co-OC/OL job at Texas. His contract had expired the day of the Peach Bowl and there was some uncertainty about his future but the impression I got was everyone was kinda assuming they'd ultimately work it out. Longtime friends with Malzahn, line played well at times but was inconsistent in big moments, like at Clemson and that Peach Bowl. I think OL recruiting was also not going great.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Auburn rehires Hand's predecessor JB Grimes, late of UConn. Not exciting but it's probably fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ink is on Malzahn's $49m/7 contract; Auburn owes him 75% of what remains if they ever fire him, but the buyout on his end is essentially negligible.

• Locked thread