Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

OU would have to go winless for Riley to get fired in year 1.

I mean if he actually won 1 game with the roster he has he's going to get fired. Or 2, or 3, or 4. The dogs would be at his heels if he snuck into a 6 win bowl game.

I don't really expect any of this to matter this year at least, but OU is perfectly capable of firing someone early with the expectations that program has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

take a look at who went to more big xii conference title games lol

They were good for a couple of those years, the other two they just outlasted the rest of the lovely Big 12 North.

Which you can tell by how they lost by a combined 106 points in the 04-05 championship games.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

D.N. Nation posted:

- Georgia scores too quickly, not fair to Grantham's defense

I went through this bullshit with the Chiefs back when Vermiel was here and Mizzou during the Chase Daniel years. And it might be popping up again if Mizzou's offense is worth anything, since they definitely want to run plays fast.

It might make a very slight bit of difference but the actual reasons those defenses were bad (Chiefs) or mediocre (Mizzou) was because the players sucked. And the coordinator in KC's case. People still believe that poo poo to this day and it drives me insane.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Yeah it's just doing things conveniently to make a pretty chart. Which as long as you don't look at it as the last word can at least be somewhat interesting.

Barry Odom is part of Gary Pinkel's tree in reality but it's interesting he coached for a while under Fuente who's now moved on to VT.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Missed this post but mentioned it in the aftermath thread.

Weird timing because it looks like they're scapegoating him for a game where the D actually did a respectable job. But he's been a disaster from day one so everyone is glad he's gone, I can't believe he wasn't quietly let go during the off season.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Neil Armbong posted:

Also, yeah, 9 - 10 wins is about what A&M should expect looking at historic performance.

After looking at sports reference, this in a good season.

RC Slocum did go 12-1 one year though!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

and then after all that they end up with Herm Edwards or something.

You say this as if it would be a bad thing.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Herm Edwards would kill recruiting and he was a legit good coach until his KC teams got real old real fast

I...disagree. Then again I'm a KC fan.

But I still want nothing more than I want to see Herm Edwards coaching in college.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Barry Odom is gonna get fired for sure.

Two years is a super short stint and it's kind of not a good look to fire someone that quick. But he's not the current AD's hire, and he might be setting up the worst season for Missouri football since the 80s. Unless he turns things around in a big way his seat has got to be somewhere between firmly warm and hot this year. If he survives to next year without a giant turnaround because they go with the 'gotta give him a chance' argument he starts the next season off with his seat on fire.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Has Mizzou figured out their social issues yet? It got bad at the end of Pinkel's tenure due to Ferguson and enrollment dropped due to lingering issues coming to light.

I want to say it's at least a little better and hiring Cuonzo Martin for a billion dollars as head basketball coach probably helps some, but then again St Louis is rioting again because of bad judges so...who knows?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Troy Queef posted:

what's HOUSTON DALE NUTT up to these days

He's got a lawsuit and hilariously ruining Ole Miss to worry about.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
This is kinda before the idea of 'major conferences' but I checked the Big 8 on a hunch and OU won the conference every year from 1948 to 1959, so that's a strong possibility for only one coach having won the conference title.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Nebraska firing their AD means Mike Riley's all but gone unless he goes on a miracle conference-winning run. Nebraska ain't what it used to be but I'd laugh if they were the ones to pull Dan Mullen out of Starkvegas. It'd mean there'd be three former SEC coaches in the B1G, all of whom left on their own accord, and Urbz/Franklin are having more success at their current schools than their former.

:raise:

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

DJExile posted:

Yeah I'm not so sure of this either. Urban's last couple seasons at Florida were messy but he still wrecked poo poo there on the whole.

Plus, y'know, the 2 nattys.

I mean, 2 nattys in the first 4 years on the job. That's starting off pretty well. His only actual down year was the last one.

I suppose you could argue he would have won 2 in his first three years at Ohio State if they weren't on probation, but that 2012 team beating 2012 Bama is a pretty massive 'if.'

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Y'all need to return to the glory days. Hire Niaumatolo(?) from Navy or Calhoun from AF and go full triple option. Or be super nice and do what I saw on Twitter and take CPJ away from the ACC. that would be fine too.

It's been years but I always wanted RichRod to go to Nebraska when he left WVU. The run first spread offense seemed like a natural evolution of what Nebraska football should be.

Unfortunately that Arizona stint...whew. So that's never going to happen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Nebraska has to have the highest degree of difficulty of any of the historical powerhouse programs.

Yale :v:

Hey I'm technically correct.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

I haven't really followed Petrino all that much and I remember the banging coeds and the motorcycle wreck, but aside from that what's he done to make him a "bad guy"? I feel like I haven't heard about him in a while except for just being attached to Louisville's success.

There were some really great rants posted by someone in one of the douche of the year tournaments about him but I can't be bothered to go find them now. Here's an SBNation thing that goes through a lot of it though.

He's not like an Art Briles type of bad person as far as we know, more of a Lane Kiffin.

e: Here's the way Falcons players learned that he was quitting to take the Arkansas job with three games left in the season. This was taped to their lockers the morning of the day he had a press conference announcing him as the Arkansas coach.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 28, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

I'd say Odom is most likely, but if he's still there after the last three games I don't know what's going to make them pull the trigger mid-season.

I think Odom gets the rest of the season like Kim Anderson did. If Mizzou is 1-7 or something with losses to UConn and Idaho they'll do the same thing and announce they're letting him go but allowing him finish out the season. 2-7 should get there too with a loss to either of those teams.

Well this is assuming Odom is as loyal as Kim Anderson was, he could just walk when they tell him 'you're going to be fired.'

e: I could also theoretically see a world where if he gets to 5 wins he gets to eke out one more year since this is only year #2, but the getting to 5 wins is the hardest thing to imagine there.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 1, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

C. Everett Koop posted:

Someone like Mizzou should kick the tires on ol' Les, if only to try and right the ship for the next three years or so. Odom was supposed to do that but he's clearly in over his head.

Also Mullen's agent should be calling UT's AD every day.

I think I'd rather go for a mid major head coach, except actually a head coach who's shown something instead of Memphis's DC since he was a True Son and because of that somehow trustworthy.

Alternately that Colorado School of Mines guy who's at Montana or wherever now.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I assume because of recruiting?

Which is a weird thought because Kelly needs his assistants to do that, he doesn't give a poo poo.

e: I just discovered that Chip Kelly was Johns Hopkins (Johns Hopkins?) defensive coordinator in 1993.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

Bucs offensive rankings:

2003: 10th
2004: 22nd
2005: 23rd
2006: 29th
2007: 18th
2008: 14th

He's supposed to be an offensive genius but 10th was the best he did which was the Super Bowl year.

I feel like only including the Bucs years is perhaps a little disingenuous but I'm not sure, so let's check.

1998: 22nd in points, 18th in Yards (this is with a combination of Jeff George, Wade Wilson and something called Donald Hollis at QB)
1999: 8th scoring, 5th yards (Gannon arrived)
2000: 3rd scoring, 6th yards
2001: 4th points, 7th yards

Also you're wrong, he was decidedly worse than 10th in his super bowl year
2002 (TB): 18th scoring, 24th yards

I think he partially lucked into a historically middling veteran in Gannon and everything just clicked for both of them and partially just didn't have the other pieces he needed in Tampa. Aging but still effective Jerry Rices and Tim Browns are pretty decent pieces, and better ones for his offense than an aging Alstott.

I'd definitely call him overrated, but he did a legit good thing in Oakland. I guess we could also note that the year Gruden left Oakland finished first in scoring and second in yards, but....uh....it's pretty obvious Callahan didn't change anything.

MourningView posted:

Are there even people who still sincerely want Gruden to coach their college team and think it's a thing that could happen? I wouldn't even hire him for a NFL coaching job at this point, not that I think he has any desire to do it.

He had some quote in June or something that he's "Preparing for his next coaching job every day." Oh here it is, but yeah he sounds like he's not interested in college.

USA Today posted:

“I am — every year — preparing myself to coach,” Gruden told PewterReport.com. “Sometimes I show up at (a training) camp, and I show up in the offseason, and people let me coach. I jump in drills and they still let me install plays and call plays at some places. I still have a lot of fun.

"I haven’t lost the itch, though. I miss the players. I won’t deny that. I don’t want to start anything, but I say the same thing to everybody. There are very few passions in my life. The man upstairs, family and football.”

Gruden said he’s had opportunities to return, but he’s just holding out for the perfect fit. However, he ruled out coaching in college, joking: “I would probably have you on probation within four or five weeks,” because of all the recruiting and NCAA rule challenges.

“Just about every year I talk about coming back to coach. I’m not here every day at 4:30 or 4 in the morning watching pinball, you know? I’m preparing myself to come back. I am. Every day. I’m preparing to come back.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Joey Freshwater posted:

"A ton of schools" is not the correct answer for "I wonder who has the most"

As a random stab for a guess from 1978 on:

KU Football, I'm assuming they were fired if they didn't coach again until we get to when I know if they were fired or not:

Bud Moore: went 17-27-1 from 1975-1978
Don Fambrough who earlier coached Kansas: 1971-1974, then 1979-1982. 36-49-5 overall. As an aside Fambrough is the guy who would come in to give a speech tell lies about the state of Missouri every year until he died.
Bob Valesente: 1986-87, 4-17-1
Terry Allen: 1997-2001, 20-33
Mark Mangino: 2002-2009, 50-48. Insert Orange bowl picture here
Turner Gill: 2010-2011, 5-19. The beginning of modern Kansas Football
Charlie Weis: 2012-2014, 6-22.
(slightly preemptive) David Beatty: 3-26.

So that's 7 or 8 for KU, however you want to count it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Widenhofer, Stull and Smith were fired post '78 for Mizzou I believe (Smith was diagnosed with leukemia in his last year and half retired, I wonder if he ever got himself an internet? But he would have been fired anyway). And Odom will be, so that's soon to be 4 I guess.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Fire Barry Odom tonight

Leave him at the airport

While I wouldn't have any problem with this I thought this particular game went much better than I would have expected.

The defense is still complete rear end of course, which is what Odom is supposed to be good at, but the offense showed at least a little life.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

They had like what, 2 basically hail mary TD's and a garbage time one? Barely a pulse.

Hail Mary does not in any way describe any of their TDs. They had 2 legit bombs, just missed on another one early and made it a game well into the second quarter.

My expectations were a very low bar to clear, but they cleared them by a mile.

e: Oh still fire Odom of course. Now or two seconds after the season ends, whichever is fine.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LiquidFriend posted:

Georgia had a bad match up and Lock basically just heaved it and hoped for the best, and it just happened to work twice.

He has some of the worst accuracy I have seen outside of Berkstresser.

I think that's going too far, he has the NFL version of Tebow thing going where he can throw a legitimately pretty deep ball now and then. But absolutely nothing else.

Another thing that bugs me about Odom is he talks like this job was a complete rebuild but Missouri is not a particularly young team at all. Most of the snaps are going to guys he inherited. Likely because Odom can't recruit for poo poo and he knows the guys he inherited are better.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Lovie is really bad, but Illinois will just be a parade of sadness forever I guess.

Isn't Illinois kinda stuck with Lovie no matter what for a while because of their money situation?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kim Jong Il posted:

Cubit was also a lot better with that roster. I think this is going to end up like when Lane hired his dad at USC, and also disproves the oft-repeated Rex Ryan/Herm Edwards/etc... should just get a college job argument.

Lovie isn't the type of guy who matches the reasons people think Rex Ryan or Herm would do well in college (although I hear it a lot more about Herm than Rex).

Yes he has an NFL name, but he's nowhere near as charismatic as the other guys.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

At some point I want to earn a PhD, but it certainly won't be from an SEC school. I'm not moving back to that part of the country ever. I do hope to continue my trend of attending schools with orange as a primary color tho.

Trying to figure out what that limits you to.

Clemson, Florida, Oklahoma State, Texas, Illinois, Oregon State, Boise State off the top of my head, oops UF is SEC, just not in exactly the same part of the country.

Oh Syracuse too obviously. So it looks like you should get to know Illinois, Oregon or New York if you want to be in a radically different place (or Idaho, heh).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Bielema’s buyout might be way less than everyone originally thought I guess?

I have mixed feelings here since I want him to be fired and shamed, but I don't want another team looking for a coach this offseason.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

If 3 SEC coaches get poo poo canned, I don’t know that all 3 will replace them with any better of a hire. Someone is going to lose

3 seems kinda probable at this point? The question would be if it's 4 or 5 I'd think.

Butch is gone, Odom should be gone. Bert as noted might be more fireable than people thought. Sumlin has been walking a tightrope of barely keeping his job for a couple of years now. LSU and Florida might want to get rid of their coach but I think both guys survive (I don't think Coach O can be fired unless someone with super deep pockets really hates him). Having noted that there are people who want both of them out, and some of those people are influential. Ole Miss is almost assured to go after someone other than Matt Luke. I feel like UK or Vandy could make a move in any particular year but I'm not well versed in those programs at all.

I count 3 almost guaranteed, another 2 possible to likely. And if everyone goes crazy I could see 6 or 7.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 21, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KKKLIP ART posted:

Coach O isn’t going anywhere due to his buyout. I could see Butch, Odom, Mac, Bert, and maybe Gus and Sumlin. Of those, I think the Butch Bert and Odom are for sure gone.

I was counting Ole Miss in the three almost assuredly gone, just as one that we already know about. I could see Bert keeping his job, but if he does he'll need a 10 win season and actually being competitive for the SEC West title next year.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Adun posted:

I mean the whole ''making up death threats' thing seems flimsy as hell. You're telling me there's no one on twitter or whatever UF message board has said they've wanted to kill Jim McElwain or a player?

Sounds like they might work a buyout out anyway, so hopefully none of this matters. But if you go say you've had death threats against players and act as though it's actually something that is worrisome and not a throwaway twitter joke...well you're pretty much obligated to assist in the investigation into said threats.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ehud posted:

Names floated so far

Dino Babers
Matt Campbell
Scott Frost
Mike Norvell
Dan Mullen

I'd imagine if he gave a poo poo about it Campbell would be a great recruiter. Is there any evidence he's actually a good coach?

Doh, I read Matt Campbell as Dan Campbell for some reason, probably because it's you posting this Ehud.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I mean Venables is a good 5-10 years past where he should have gotten a head coaching job. It'd be a good hire, but he either interviews like crap or doesn't want a HC job yet.

e: Holy crap he's only 46, I thought he was much older.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--yeah Phil Knight's money definitely helped bring kids in. Like even in legitimate, well legit by CFB rules, ways I mean.

algebra testes posted:

This is probably a super dumb question, but how Was Chip Kelly at running a college program, recruiting etc? It's clear that he was bad at managing personnel in an NFL team (his teams got worse over time) and the Read Option isn't a super ideal NFL offence but both those things shouldn't apply in college right?

Pretty good in my opinion with a caveat? He apparently didn't like recruiting much but he managed to surround himself with a staff that worked pretty well at Oregon (although there was some ..baggage). For Florida specifically this shouldn't be terribly hard to replicate since it's such an easy place to recruit if they decide to go after him. You would think that if he gave even the slightest crap he could have at least Oregon level talent at Florida without cheating any more than anyone else does. His offensive system is perfectly fine for college ball, I don't know that he cares much about defense in general but if he gets a good DC that's not a bad thing. I guess that's a decent sized if.

The main worry would be that he doesn't care enough about the NCAA's rules on things, he's been show-caused before and that's half of (or all of depending on who you ask) the reason he took an NFL job.

Oh he's also a pretty big jerk as a person, but that's true for a lot of coaches. I don't know how well he deals with boosters or whatever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 30, 2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is almost never how modern searches work.

I mean it's just a bad look. Like backdoor deals obviously happen but you don't want it to appear as though you were out looking for your next coach before you bothered to fire the one you have now. Even if everyone does it to some extent.

Even when it's so completely obvious you're going to fire your coach like it is here.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I suppose Kansas could try to recreate the magic but Mangino has been out of coaching for two years at this point. But hell if I have a better idea of what they should do.

Go after the hottest FCS coach they can find? They'd have to be low man on the totem pole for poaching G5 guys. They just tried the assistant route and while I don't know if Beaty had a real chance of success he's been there long enough to have something to show (other than that Texas win).

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Heh, I somehow forgot about this:

quote:

Following the 2016 season, on December 12, Beaty agreed to a contract extension through 2021, with an annual salary of $1.6 million.

So that Texas win got him an extension. He had won two games in two years, against Texas and Rhode Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

General Dog posted:

Bo Pelini, get Bo Pelini you retards.

This would help me hate Kansas even more, so sure.

• Locked thread