Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TheGreyGhost posted:

Michigan State - Dantonio probably can't go 3-9 again, but I doubt he will. 2/5

With what's going on in the program right now he absolutely might go 3-9 again. This year is going to be bad, but at least this year it won't be surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Michigan State:

Darryl Rogers (1976-1979): Left for the Arizona State job
Muddy Waters (1980-82): Fired before last game of the season, but carried off the field by his lovely players (including Morten Andersen) after a loss
George Perles (1983-94): One of our best coaches, but fired for NCAA violations. Now serves on the board of trustees.
Nick Saban (1994-99): Left for LSU
Bobby Williams (2000-02): Fired his rear end mid-season
Morris Watts: 2002 interim
John L. Smith (2003-06): Went 8-5, then had three straight losing seasons and was fired
Mark Dantonio (2007-present): Greatest coach in program history. Hot seat rumors have dissipated after 4-1 start. Only getting fired if off field issues mount.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

swickles posted:

Why didn't Brady Hoke work out? I mean I know he wasn't a good coach, but was it bad recruiting, bad playcalling, no defense, what?

His recruiting was good and the defenses were usually his strong suit, but he was an awful gameday coach.

Also he didn’t wear a headset so I’m not convinced he actually did any coaching.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

No, remember we paid millions of dollars for the privilege of stealing him from Colorado Springs.

Fort Collins

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

Who are the top coaching prospects this season? I know that Frost at Central Florida is one of the names being thrown around a lot, but what about anyone else?

I’ve heard Willie Fritz’s name thrown around a bit

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

lol why is PJ Fleck up there? He’s not even doing that good at Minnesota in year one. Then again, this program hired Derek Dooley.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

I know you're being facetious, but seriously- do high schoolers give a poo poo about Jon Gruden?

This year’s senior class was 7 or 8 years old when he last put on a headset and in diapers when he won a Super Bowl, so definitely not. He’s just the MNF color guy to them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Worst case probably an OC but I could see him getting a mid major head coaching job since he was pretty good at CSU and his on paper resume at Florida isn’t too bad.

Hell we’re probably a short rehab stint somewhere away from him getting like the Missouri job with the way the SEC works

Yeah if Muschamp can get another head job in the conference two years later than I don’t see why Mac can’t.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

FizFashizzle posted:

why is the former south carolina head coach talking about UF coaching hires

He is a consultant to the athletic department

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I want to see these facts.

Because what I have seen they tend to be mediocre at best.

This is when he tells you to google them and then ignores when the results disprove his point.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

If you mean people refusing to actually look at the numbers and not constructing arguments. Schiano is a really bad gameday coach who is wildly overrated on the field, and you can quote this post after his inevitable failure at Tennessee just like you can go back and find me wildly laughing about the Butch Jones hire.

You know that Google exists right.

They don't. Look them up.

They get looked up and posted literally every time this discussion happens and inevitably prove that Rutgers sucks rear end by any reasonable standard. Your posting is a vicious Rutgers football induced cycle.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Pat Narduzzi to Florida

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

https://twitter.com/reedcarringer/status/934616673692405760

Vols Twitter : coaching search :: Louise Mensch : Russia

I hate death and take no pleasure in reporting this, but the Tennessee board of trustees has already voted to execute Brady Hoke.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rice fired David Bailiff

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

They were pretty bad this year, even for Rice. Their win total since 2014 went from 7 to 5 to 3 to 1.

It’s time for Todd Graham to Come Home

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

Terrible clock management, started some lovely white dude over the obviously more talented Voodoo, way too many fullback carries, and never developed a meaningful defensive player, no thanks

You call constant run plays in a 2 minute drill bad clock management. I call it innovative.

And Luke was a good defender but on roids.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

luke wasn't on roids, he was addicted to opiates

Ah you're right. He took a bunch of painkillers after an injury and I mixed that with Smash's roid storyline.

MourningView posted:

I have not gone back and rewatched the seasons with the school located in the ghetto that inexplicably popped up overnight, was Luke on roids too? If so that’s also another issue considering Smash was roiding in the first season. Lotta discipline issues, really. His kicker murdered someone and everyone just pretended nothing happened.

You should rewatch them because they're much better than the seasons with Landry and Tyra killing a dude. Also the guy was a rapist so it's fine. And it gave us Landry asking a random girl if she believed good men were capable of evil.

The best dropped plotline is Buddy Garrity's mysteriously disappeared immigrant child that he adopted. But what bothers me the most is Crucifictorius going from a Christian metalcore band to a group that does Flaming Lips covers (but kept the name).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Arizona State really does let anybody in.

Also I wish BigHerm were here to see all this.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

why would you leave FSU for loving Texas A&M

When you spend years dealing with one stupid and obnoxious fanbase you build up a tolerance and desire something more extreme

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I just checked; Wazzu and Texas Tech's five year recruiting rankings are 49 and 50, respectively.

Tennessee's is 15.

Leach is not a recruiter and doesn't care that much, but if he had a top 30 class, yikes.

Recruiting to Lubbock or the Palouse is probably very different than to Knoxville but I think the bigger factor is his system.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

an adult beverage posted:

Did I miss that? This thread is moving faster than a GameDay thread. This is nuts.

Yeah dude it's been the last like 3 pages or so.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Komet posted:

Harbaugh in this list is debatable. Dantonio is a better coach

That’s what I was going to say. Dantonio’s resume is superior to Harbaugh’s and Shaw’s.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Yeah I wish that happened more often.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

wa27 posted:

If Frost goes back to coach the bowl game, will it be the first time someone has coached for two teams at once?

It’s not common but it’s happened before.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/938203752313565184

Happy for Duzz but uh...why?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Joey Freshwater posted:

More coaches announced:

QB coach: Tyson Helton from USC
RB Coach: Robert Gillespie staying on
DB Coach: Terry loving Fair from Colorado state

Holy poo poo, former ok Lions player Terry Fair! That's a name I haven't heard in ages.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

vikingstrike posted:

Ah yes. The team that was top 15. College football was certainly worried.

Bow down to the winners of the 2006 Texas Bowl, the literal highlight of the entire history of college football's oldest program

Also everyone's reaction to that season was "hey it's pretty cool that Rutgers is doing well" not "oh no, I was wrong about this atrocious program a few years removed from a winless season!"

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Dec 13, 2017

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

Jesus gently caress you are dense, and that was 11 years ago, it wasn't what I was talking about. It's being a respectable program.

Because the Big East's bowl tie ins were a joke.

Anyway, supposedly Rutgers and South Carolina are both trying to hire Phil Long from Ole Miss.

The point remains the same: your program sucks rear end. It’s okay to admit this. Almost all of us root for at least one terrible sports team. I don’t go around claiming that the Detroit Lions are historically an average franchise and that they’ll shut everyone else up one day.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Michigan has fired head strength coach Kevin Tolbert

Read this as former MSU basketball player Kelvin Torbert

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cnidario posted:

Yeah, Lance Leipold. He’s at FBS Buffalo right now, and isn’t looking great. He has a 13-23 record.

They do seem to be improving, for what it's worth. They missed a bowl this year because the Poinsettia disappeared and they lost a 7OT game to Western Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I maintain that Kent State should just promote Detroit Dogg even though I’m pretty sure he’s not there anymore

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

MourningView posted:

ASU FIRES TODD GRAHAM wow weird they were way better this year than they were supposed to be, well maybe they think they can get a better staff and-THEY ARE DEMANDING THE NEW COACH KEEP ALL ASSISTANTS-weird if you liked the staff so much why do you want a new coach, they must have someone really good lined u-ASU HAS HIRED HERM EDWARDS-oh my God he hasn't coached in a decade why would you-THE AD IS HERM'S OLD AGENT-oh gross there is no way this could be more of a con job-THE ARIZONA STATE FOOTBALL COLLECTIVE WILL DISRUPT THE MARKET WITH INNOVATIVE SYNERGISTIC SOLUTIONS-what the poo poo does that even mean, Herm better give a drat good press conference to explain this insane bullshit-HERM DOES NOT EVEN KNOW HIS TEAM HAS "DEVIL" IN THE NAME-what a diaster well at the least they have staff continuity-ALL COORDINATORS ARE GONE, PREPARE TO BE HERMINATED

Rose Bowl confirmed

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best news for the Illini is that the state has a budget now

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
They were in the Orange Bowl last year and lost almost every contributor to graduation or the NFL

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hmmm
https://twitter.com/danwolken/status/948377854680686592

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

tk posted:

I’ll never understand how people hear “could not be substantiated” as “found me innocent of any wrongdoing”.

Because they want to.

AsInHowe posted:

We're an MSNBC crowd

Only the ones who attended Michigan.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Goop on ya Grinch

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dammit Taggart why couldn’t you take our offensive guys instead!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Rod Broadway is an incredible name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Dan Enos is a Sparty grad so I’d absolutely believe he did this to screw with Michigan.

• Locked thread