Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

quote:

Georgia - Yeah, Kirby probably drop 5 games again without taking some heat. Not with that fanbase. 8-4 might placate though 2/5

Depends. If the offense sucks again, he better be prepared to toss Jim Chaney out of Athens.

(reminds self what Jim Chaney looks like)

Or use a forklift. IMO, the only good reason why Chaney was kept around after last season is continuity; 4 OCs in 4 years is no bueno. I miss Bobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

MourningView posted:

Bobo is a lot more likely to get a better HC job than he is to get fired at CSU

Could see him continue further west to Arizona. actually he's coming back to Athens once Kirby gets fired

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I know that is the general concensus, but I am one of those that never understood the vitriol that he got considering that the last 3-4 years he was OC UGA was setting school records in points per game, yards per play, and pretty much every other offensive stat. Putting up points was never UGA's problem during the Bobo era, it was Grantham on defense and players getting arrested. You can look at the offensive fall-out that Schotty and Cheney have gotten us. Maybe a lot was on Richt for not getting a good O-line together so we are working with what we have on hand, but I think Bobo called a good game.

Actual anti-Bobo arguments on DawgSports, 2013-2014:

- Georgia scores too quickly, not fair to Grantham's defense
- A touchdown Aaron Murray threw against North Texas in '13 was on a badly drawn up play, therefore Murray/Bobo are useless (this went on for an entire week before Bobo's offense put up 44 friggin points on LSU)
- '14 Georgia was up 38-6 on Arkansas, relaxed a little, only won by two scores, therefore Bobo is a moral coward
- Georgia came back from 20 down to Auburn in '13 to take the lead without the services of WR1, WR2, WR4, RB2, and with the RB1 at about 60%, lost because Grantham's idiots couldn't bat down a ball, but that was Bobo's fault because BECAUSE DAMMIT
- '14 Georgia pasted a very good Clemson team, but was only tied at halftime and Gurley didn't have a lot of touches, fire Bobo
- He has a lot of kids, therefore doesn't care about his job

And on and on. Dude's offense was putting up school records and we were nitpicking down to the atomic level.

I like that there was a (now-defunct, wonder why) anti-Bobo blog that was praising Schotty early in 2015 because "now we got a REAL OC." Yeah, how'd that work out.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I think it was the last time Bobo called a home game against South Carolina, but we went on an 8 minute, soul crushing, clock draining drive. He knew when to slow down when needed.

Same season, but at the point where Gurley was the only healthy relevant offensive player left:

Anyway, like I said. If RichRod flames out in Arizona, I could see Bobo making the jump.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Raku posted:

Honestly would you want to make the next guy suffer the bama game is what I've been thinking

Although Brady Hoke Vols vs Bama would be fun as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPxPSzz0LBY

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Butts- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Griffith- fired

Dooley- retired to focus on being AD (he was both for decades)

Goff- fired

Donnan- fired

Richt- fired, mas o menos

Everyone before that was the era where you'd have a different coach every other year except the ones that now have buildings named after 'em.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

Even though I know this is the good Dooley it still made me twitch

FWIW the Good Dooley was pretty bad at the AD thing.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So about Maryland's AD situation.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Duckaerobics posted:

Georgia Southern has fired their coach after an 0-6 start.

I mean, yeah. Summers has been a freefall of a step down. Two years ago, Southern takes a 10-win UGA to OT in Athens; this year they're getting pantsed by UMass.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I think that the rumor mill from his year as DC at UGA made everyone think he was an insane crazy person who might snap and kill somebody

"Had a defense that drug the team to 10 wins despite Brian Schottenheimer and also didn't murder Schottenheimer at any point" should be in the plus column, IMO

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm not defending the Sharkfucker, or even attempting to judge whether Florida is making the right move by firing him. I'm just saying that the narrative of Texas being too quick to pull the rug out from under Charlie Strong seems extra dumb in light of how coaches with objectively much better results are treated elsewhere.

Didn't Strong losing to honkin' Kansas put the kibosh on that? (There is the secondary issue of whether or not Strong got institutional support when he was there, but that's another argument.)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

BTW, USF probably had the easiest path to the NY6 out of G5 schools and blew it this weekend. It's not like Strong's tearing rear end in Tampa.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I for one will miss the best part of the late Butch Jones Era – the poor social media intern whose tweets keep getting savaged.

https://twitter.com/Vol_Football/status/929453695271440385

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My issue with the Butch hire was always that he got blown out by...Derek Dooley, a year before they made the change.

That of course doesn't necessarily prove anything, but the optics suck.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

If we're being honest, UGA's offense is so unbalanced right now I'm not sure how much more running the dang ball you could do. They were talking like 40% of UGA's yards are from passing and their hasn't been a national title winner since Nebraska in the mid-90s to have a ratio that skewed and still win. Alabama came close a couple of years but lost the title game in each year they were. I mean, gently caress, Fromm passed 7 times in the Florida game.

UGA Complaints About The Offensive Coordinator® have now shifted from RUN THE GAWD DANG BALL BOBO to WE SHOULD BE DOING SCREENS CHANEY.

I thought UGA's offense was such an aesthetic abortion last season that I would've been fine if Chaney got the boot after year 1 except for the fact that it would've meant 4 OCs in 4 years in Athens. And really, he was just running what Kirby had tasked him to do; it was Kirby's fault philosophically that we were trying to shove square pegs into round holes.

This year has been better because the OL is better and the skill guys are healthy/better and the QB makes better decisions (sorry Jacob). UGA at least has the horses to ground bad teams into dust, which they simply couldn't do last season cough Nicholls State cough. But they're not quite there yet, as evidenced by EVERYTHING in the Auburn game. I see no reason to move on from Chaney at this point though dammit I miss flangin' the ball around :(

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Tennessee_Volunteers_football_team

Up and down, mediocre season, but they had a respectable loss to #1 Florida, another respectable loss to #1 Alabama (you can't just say that "if it weren't for Terrence Cody," because Bama kinda let the Vols back in the game themselves), and blasted da fuk out of Georgia and South Carolina in Knoxville. Recruiting was good. I remember thinking that Kiffin was going to be a pain to deal with for the foreseeable future and then d'oh

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Chip would have to show some nuts-and-bolts give-a-poo poo for him to really work out at Florida.

- Would he invest more energy into crootin? You'd think UF would sell itself, but McElwain's classes sucked.
- Would he invest more energy into updating his scheme? His Xs and Os were solvable shrugs toward the end there in SF.
- Would he invest more mental energy/delegate better w/r/t talent evaluation? Because the choices he made in Philly were baaaaad.

I think he'd be a fine enough hire and Florida would contend for East titles with him, but I dunno about more than that.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

2007 Oregon would've played for the title had Dixon not gotten hurt.

But I'm splitting hairs. Kelly would be a fine hire for Florida.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Yeah, UCLA was really fun in the late 90s w/ Skip Hicks and Cade McNown.

Was it 98 they were undefeated super late in the year w/ Kansas St and they both lost in the final weeks? Bitter disappointment and we ended up with a mediocre Rooster-led FSU facing off against the luckiest Tennessee team in history for the BCS title :fuckoff:

'98 UCLA didn't play a lick of defense and were just asking to get knocked off. Da U did it on that last fateful weekend. (The game had been rescheduled from September because of a hurricane.)

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Nov 21, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Objective SEC East opinion:

Florida hire = Good, I am scared
Tennessee hire = Bad, I am laughing

Carry on.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

For such an affable doofus, Herbstreit really picks the worst hills to off himself on.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Man, kudos to Florida. They let McElwain get away with exactly one week of nonsense before canning his rear end, then they quickly and quietly hired a solid choice to replace him.

Does anyone at UT know anything about PR?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Wolken is such a stooge. His brain was permanently broke this Thanksgiving weekend after Richt went tits up.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 27, 2017

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Joey Freshwater posted:

I cant believe there still hasn’t been anything official from the university

Always love it when ADs seem utterly baffled that football fans are fanatic and want answers.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Currie makes $900,000 a year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

One thing that's not said enough by the national hacks is that Schiano's renaissance at Rutgers was over 10 loving years ago. If there were any UT coaching search to be involved with, it should've been their one in 2008. They're acting like this guy just made Rutgers a Top 25 team.

Since then: NFL flame-out, coaching a prep school, assistant for Urban. If I'm UT, I'm going for a hungry up-and-comer. That ain't Schiano. #hirebobo

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

My favorite part of the Jennings story is him showing up to practice and demanding to play QB. Then leaving to go smoke some weed after they said no.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

Mullen offered positions to Billy Gonzales as WR coach, John Hevesy OL, Todd Grantham DC.

Grantham is perhaps most famous for giving University of Florida kicker, Chas Henry, the "choke" sign as Henry lined up for the winning kick in the 2010 Florida-Georgia game.

Grantham is an idiot and I look forward to facing him every season.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

His S&P+ rankings since 2010 are [38, 8, 14, 43] (at UGA), [12, 21, 19] (at UL), and [21] (at Miss State).

He's no Dan Quinn but he's sure as poo poo better than Shannon.

OK, "idiot" was unfair of me. But there are three things that are true about Grantham:

1) He blitzes like a 65-year-old Internet conservative uses caps lock.
2) He will never exactly get the best out of your talent and needs a shitload of NFL caliber players to have a great defense.
3) His scheme is overly complicated and if you're relying on underclassmen, you're boned.
and 3.5) Once this happens, he will throw everyone else under the bus.

Good luck, Florida!

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Ehud posted:

we are currently giving up like 40 points per game

UGA's defense was garbage in 2009. Grantham took over, made it better bit by bit, made it near great with some notable fuckups, then once those guys went and made money, the bottom fell out when he was unable to teach the young guys how to tackle. Then he left in a huff.

Then, it should be noted, Jeremy Pruitt took over and immediately the defense was awesome even with some holes.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

This, by my count, is the first time Cutcliffe has ever come out and stated the obvious: that nearing retirement as a football head coach at Duke is a cushy-rear end job and he'd be nuts to leave it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vyst posted:

McElwain is more of a Joey Saltwater

:vince:

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Komet posted:

Can a Big XII coach really work in the SEC though?

You at least have to try to play defense.

Mizzou went 4-4 in conference without playing a lick of it.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

Odom was a dead man walking -- I think they improved so much he may have a longer future there. He did a phenomenal job.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, Mizzou was the fun kind of mediocre this season. Slangin' the ball all over. And they issued such beatdowns on teams down the stretch that I'm worried they might actually be pretty good next year.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Bert and Lester stuck with the established SEC brand of glacial beef-based offense, and they both ended up fired. This ain't the aughts no more.

tbf the East champion averages about an hour per offensive drive and throws the ball as much as a service academy. But you've got to recruit your nuts off to make it work.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

vikingstrike posted:

In hindsight, I'm very happy that UGA's coaching search seemed pretty well contained and not a comedy of errors like Tennessee's so far

Greg McGarity: Clearly wants Kirby, throws a bunch of money at Kirby, hires Kirby
Georgia Fanbase: CLUELESS IDIOT WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING
Kirby: Wins SEC East in year 2, has team a win away from the playoffs
Georgia Fanbase: YEAH BUT THE OPTICS ALSO MCGARITY HIRING THAT SEARCH FIRM WAS DUMB

Nah, McGarity still sucks though

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Real Name Grover posted:

40 days later, Callahan kind of fell in his lap. Rumor is that Pederson was gonna reach out to Chuck Amato if that fell through.

Amato was a year removed from winning 11 games at friggin NC State, so it wasn't a preposterous idea at the time, if only for that fleeting moment.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

How did Hoke get to be interim anyway? Dude flames out at Michigan, his last notable act playing a QB whose brains were severely scrambled. Then he goes to coach defense at Oregon and they give up about 70 a game. That's clearly a guy who should be shuffled off to coaching some random prep school at this point, right? What did Butch see in him?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

So is that giant picture of Butch Jones still on the Neyland scoreboard? That's what I wanna know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Seaniqua posted:

NYC, eh? Steve Spagnuolo to Tennessee confirmed.

I had to google who the (interim) coach of the giants is

Author of a 2-14 season and a 1-15 season with the Rams, I'm down

• Locked thread