Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”
Well, in the interest of stirring the pot, let's get things started with some Power 5 + Grab bag Hot Seat rankings!

ACC
Atlantic
Boston College - Steve Addazio is signed through 2020 and has had 3 good years with one abominable one in the middle. They're always good for one stupid upset and one completely blown cupcake with the type of low risk-low reward football they play, but it's BC. Only thing that makes me think that Addazio might get fired this year: This is year 2 of the Scot Loeffler experience. He hasn't made it past 2 years in a a job in the last decade. 2/5

Clemson - No 1/5

Florida State - No, though Charles Kelly might get banished to the Sun Belt if their defense is bad enough 1/5

Louisville - No, though this won't stop Petrino from leaving if Lamar does 1/5

NC State - On one hand, they actually have been pretty decent from Doeren's time there, and they've taken some interesting scalps like ND. On the other hand, they're in a division with 3 of the best 4 teams in the ACC and are probably limited to a 9 win peak as a result. Factor in that they play a really improved Syracuse and Wake, and they don't have an easy walk. Seems to have higher expectations than the floor of the conference which could get him fired. 3/5

Syracuse - Will play Big 12 football and be really exciting. Looked vastly improved, and Babers is young/has some good will. Honestly may be a candidate to get hired away by someone else. 1/5.

Wake Forest - Dave Clawson came close to an 8-win season last year. However, they're still in this division and probably limited in their ceiling as a result. Probably can survive a down year, but may get turfed/be the worst team in this division 3/5

Coastal
Duke - Cutcliffe is probably the best coach in program history outside of maybe Spurrier and will leave this job on his terms 1/5

Georgia Tech - Paul Johnson is pretty well ingrained and would need a really bad year to be fired, but he might honestly be the least safe coach in this division even with that weirdly enough. 2/5

Miami - Richt will be given all the time he wants and already is showing promise 1/5

North Carolina - Fedora isn't going to be touched 1/5

Pittsburgh - Narduzzi is safe for at least another year 1/5

Virginia - Mendenhall is still fresh and safe 1/5

Virginia Tech - Fuente is going nowhere. 1/5

Big 12
Baylor - Rhule is completely untouchable for the time being, or else their program will end up back in the stone age (where it probably belongs) 1/5

Iowa State - Matt Campbell showed a lot of promise and is at no real risk. Gets a better job with a good year I bet. 1/5

Kansas - They're recruiting better and will probably be no worse than they've been the last few years, so Beaty is probably fine 1/5

Kansas State - Bill Snyder will never be fired from K-State, but he's also probably at the end of his coaching life from a health standpoint. Hot seat rating reflects likelihood of him not being the coach next year rather than being fired 3/5

Oklahoma - Riley is in a position where he would need to really bungle this to get fired, but it's still wholly possible if they're 8 wins or less. 2/5

Oklahoma State - Gundy is more likely to get fired for being on Pickens' bad side than anything else, should be fine from a football standpoint. 2/5

TCU - Patterson will never be fired here 1/5

Texas - Year one Herman gets all the slack in the world with how bad they wanted Strong gone 1/5

Texas Tech - Kliff must have Kompromat on someone, because I can't believe he's still here. If he weren't an alum, I guarantee he would've been gone last year. 5/5

West Virginia - Holgo is probably safe but has that "could always go really south" quality that so few coaches do 2/5

Big 10
East
Indiana - Tom Allen wasn't terrible last year, but they're in a wayyyy tougher division now where Rutgers is the only team that I guarantee is worse than them. Factor in that he's cheap, and it could be an issue. 2/5

Maryland - Durkin has some decent momentum and showed promise. He's safe 1/5

Michigan - No 1/5

Michigan State - Dantonio probably can't go 3-9 again, but I doubt he will. 2/5

Ohio State - No 1/5

Penn State - Franklin earned a lot of goodwill last year, but he could end up back on the hot seat if last year proves to be a fluke 2/5

Rutgers - Oh poor Chris Ash. You fix Ohio State's coverage and introduce a terrifying press man scheme that no one in the conference has the skill players to beat, then you have to try to beat it with a Rutgers team that was recruited for the complete opposite offensive philosophy to what you want to run. You probably have one more year of safety, assuming it doesn't get too much worse, but that seat will heat up very quickly. 3/5

West
Illinois - Honestly, I think this one comes down to if Illinois can secure the finances to fire Lovie more than anything. 4/5

Iowa - No 1/5

Minnesota - Fleck is safe for at least 2 years unless he accrues some Freeze-level NCAA violations 1/5

Nebraska - Riley showed some improvement last year, and he probably has at least another year before the seat heats up too much. Still not on thick ice 2/5

Northwestern - No 1/5

Purdue - Brohm gets 2 years of slack at least 1/5

Wisconsin - Chryst is safe. 1/5

Pac-12
North
California - Wilcox will get some time to work things out, especially since Cal has literally no money for anything. 1/5

Oregon - Taggart will get at least a year of slack. 1/5

Oregon State - Andersen has had two lousy years to start, so he needs to avoid another losing season. 6-6 is easily enough for him to stay employed. 3/5

Stanford - No 1/5

Washington - No 1/5

Washington State - No 1/5

South
Arizona - RichRod is in a weird spot. They've underperformed, and he's publicly chased another job. New AD in town. Contract is only real issue. He's certainly hot, though not on fire. 4/5

Arizona State - Todd Graham is publicly on the hot seat with how mediocre ASU has been the last two years 5/5

Colorado - No 1/5

UCLA - Jim Mora is basically in the same spot as RichRod, but with a team that has the money to get rid of him. Underperformed, chasing NFL jobs to some extent. Now USC's back on the hype train. 5/5

USC - Helton showed promise in year 2, but it's USC, so a mediocre year could result in some hyperventilating, more likely next year though 2/5

Utah - No 1/5

SEC
East
Florida - McElwain hasn't been bad. He also hasn't been great, especially with how trash that division is. Could heat up very quickly with a bad year. 1/5

Georgia - Yeah, Kirby probably drop 5 games again without taking some heat. Not with that fanbase. 8-4 might placate though 2/5

Kentucky - Well, we now know that 7-5 is all Kentucky wants. He's safe 1/5

Missouri - If they're bad again, I wouldn't be shocked to see Odom go, especially with how open this division is right now. 3/5

South Carolina - Overachieved last year. Probably safe for at least a year as a result 1/5

Tennessee - Man, Butch probably gets the benefit of a rebuilding year, but that's still probably an expectation of 9 wins from the fans/admins, especially considering the division. He's very warm 4/5

Vanderbilt - Mason's probably fine for at least another year, unless the bottom somehow goes out and they go like 3-9. Could easily go the other way and get hired elsewhere too 2/5

West
Alabama - No 1/5

Arkansas - Bielema is in a position where he probably can't go 7-6 again and be safe, especially with Jerry Jones money laying around. 4/5

Auburn - Gus took some heat off of himself last year but will be right back on the hot seat if they're not good this year. Ratchets up to a 4 easily if they drop 2 of their first 6 games 2/5

LSU - Yes, they just hired Coach O. But they also are paying him nothing and have a money cannon ready to fire if this dumb interim experiment doesn't work. Warmer than you'd think. 3/5

Mississippi State - No. One of you should hire Dan Mullen already 1/5

Ole Miss - Yeah, if this sanction goes bad on him, he's dead, no matter how much the department backs him now. 5/5

Texas A&M - Sumlin is dead if they don't hit like 9 wins this year at least. 5/5

Grab Bag

Notre Dame - Brian Kelly is definitely warm, but he's probably safe at 8-9 wins 4/5

SMU - Chad Morris gets a lot of hype for being promising. He also has 7 wins in 2 years. One bad year, and I bet they warm up a lot. Conversely, one good year could make someone overpay him 3/5

BYU - Sitake probably has another year, but they can't afford to be too bad 2/5

Coaching Candidates to keep an eye on:

Tulsa - Phillip Montgomery has had decent success and can probably install a Baylor type offense anywhere. The whole "good friend of Art Briles" thing may prove problematic though.

UCF - Scott Frost can probably get a better job with a good year.

Old Dominion - Bobby Wilder had them pretty solid last year. Will absolutely get some looks if they're good again.

LA Tech - Skip Holtz probably has one more super disappointing Power 5 job in him. (please be Notre Dame)

Miami OH - Chuck Martin caught lightning in a bottle the second half of the season and could get a Power 5 job if that continues.

Toledo - Jason Candle went 9-4 in year 1 at Toledo and has Power 5 written all over him with a 10 win season.

Wyoming - WOULD ONE OF YOU IDIOTS JUST HIRE CRAIG BOHL ALREADY

Boise State - Harsin could maybe be swayed for the right job I guess.

App State - Scott Satterfield is really really good and should probably get hired like right now.

Troy - Neal Brown is going to be an SEC coach with another good year

Idaho - One of you idiots will hire Paul Petrino, because there's not way he's willingly going to be an FCS coach after this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

OU would have to go winless for Riley to get fired in year 1.

He's making <$2m and Oklahoma is a blue blood. He's basically in a slightly better coach O situation.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

There's been talk for a while that Mullen is very gettable, although certainly could just mean his agent likes having negotiating leverage.

The difference between Nebraska and Miss State in terms of livability is quite literally zero. So, he would be trading no expectations for massive ones, likely without even a commensurate raise to boot. Might as well stay down south and stay in decent recruiting ground at that point.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

With how impressively terrible their QB stable is, I sincerely want Tennessee to hire Gruden and watch Dormady try to learn his loving 250 page playbook considering he's completing 55% with a 1:1 TD INT ratio in a piss-easy spread offense where he can't even get over 200 yards a game and is putting up 6.75 YPA. Just, yeah, let that guy run spider y banana and call protections. Sure.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Tim Beck's retarded playcalls and obsession with the slowest developing plays ever in a conference built around speed are why were 6-6 and not possibly 9-3.

There was talk that maybe it was urban or the personnel when talking about the Buckeyes post-Herman. It’s been very reassuring to see him do the same thing with what should be a wealth of talent at another blue chip program. It’s like if Greg Davis thought his screen plays needed to time to develop.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

vyst posted:

Ahh yes, spread my Saban assistants. Plague the SEC with your incompetence.

Pruitt for all intents and purposes has put together terrifying defenses everywhere he goes. My understanding is that he makes Mullen look personable though, so who knows. Also, what in the hell will that offense look like without Mullen.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How much money does Jim Tressel really need?

Please do not deprive me of my fanfic where Jim Bollman gets to run his offense against Alabama every year.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Jimbo officially resigns

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21631488/jimbo-fisher-leaving-florida-state-accept-coaching-job-texas-am

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

iospace posted:

Oh gee, another Saban branch!

Let's see how this works out :laffo:

I mean, at least they're picking from the side of the ball that people should probably try to emulate from Saban? Pruitt has been successful everywhere, just not sure how replacing corny coach-talk rear end in a top hat with brusque rear end in a top hat is the move. Especially when the defense isn't really the issue with UT, so much as keeping the defense from occupying their own wing of the hospital every year.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

MourningView posted:

Herm’s teams were boring and old fashioned even by the standards of the early 00s NFL (he gave Larry Johnson like 500 carries one year and basically ended his career), it’s gonna be hilarious if he actually gets some input.

Also this has to be bullshit right? It makes no sense unless Schiano is on the way out

https://twitter.com/footballscoop/status/941718863019945984

With the 10th coach spot, it might. Schiano is sole DC right now, and Urban prefers having co-DCs with one on-field DC doing adjustments and one focused on playcalling and gameplan, so I actually wouldn't be completely shocked by this. He's only making $600k at Wazzu, and he's basically guaranteed a chance to run the defense once Schiano goes in likely another year if he's worried about control. He's a local guy too, so it's basically a "don't gently caress this up for 2 years, and you can get your first HC job from whoever wants to poach a Meyer assistant" offer.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Apparently Rhett Lashlee was negotiating with Rutgers, but it fell apart because they wanted to him to have a decent buyout. They've had eight different OCs in eight years, which is, uh, something.

The three names apparently left on the list are all vomit inducing. And Noel Mazzone supposedly wants the job, and Chris Ash isn't interested. What the ever loving gently caress. Dude is smart defensively but has proven to be a complete loving idiot on the other side of the ball.

I feel like every year I read that ash wants to completely change his offensive system and I literally can’t keep track of them all. Like, how do you even recruit that side of the ball when you can’t decide on a loving system.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

I haven't read that :confused:

Mehringer was incompetent, Jerry Kill had seizures, it's not an intentional change of direction. And this is only two completed years in the books.

The recruits have been ok, there's just no experienced talent at QB or WR.

Ah, I always lump Flood's last year in there as Ash mentally for some reason. The horrific pro-style offense run by Josh McDaniels' little brother is what I remember, then immediately into an OSU spread because that totally seems like something you should do with like 3-4 FBs on the roster

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Alex Grinch to Ohio State which I guess means we have someone to replace Schiano as playcaller next year and should hopefully have some better safety/coverage LB play. Especially since we’ve got Malik’s little brother coming in this year and I would love to have another terrifying center fielder out of it.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Literally the best assistant on the staff. Dude's had a first round corner like every year it feels like. This blows.

Also, Ryan Day is officially the playcaller now. Makes sense, considering Wilson's been put in charge of the run game and Day is fully in charge of the pass game. The running game is probably not changing much outside of some 2-back/motion type stuff to help hide that the QB run is less of a threat now, but the passing game will definitely change based on who actually wins the job, ergo let Day call the plays and be done with it.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

Having Day instead of Wilson call plays seems like a bad idea, if it's actually real as opposed to a ploy to keep Day.

Day functionally called most plays post-Iowa and was literally next to Wilson all year. The passing game was already like 70% his concepts. Wilson’s timing routes don’t work with a slow throwing qb who can’t throw past 8 yards and guys who are bad at High pointing isn’t a great fit. Day has a better grasp of the qb capabilities we have now and ran the redesign of all the mesh/cross/vert concepts this past year. The running game will always be urban derived so it makes sense to put the playcaller in a position to best manage the uncertainty on offense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I thought this was Charlie Jr.

It is. He's literally my age and has me ready to do the thing where I just blanket my resume to every one of these jobs in the hopes that someone will listen to my pitch for my NCAA 14 style Wishbone/Air Raid hybrid offense that relies on having basically every RB and WR be interchangeable and the best FBs in the country. If I coat it in stupid MBA speak, I may even get the ASU job I figure.

• Locked thread