Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Arizona fans are apparently very mad because they're dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think a lot of fans are convinced that the RichRod firing was unjust and bad, when in fact it was righteous and good.

And that hiring a triple option coach from the AAC is "beneath" Arizona because they're fair-weather fans.

RichRod was a good coach but a bad person and Niumatalolo would be a huge upgrade on both fronts.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Arizona has one Pac-10 championship. They shared it.

Let's be realistic.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I don't think that's the case. I think Niumatalolo is probably a better head coach than Paul Johnson, all things considered, so I don't think the Paul Johnson experience would be what Arizona would get.

I do hope that they look at this stuff and realize that the long-term health of the football program is probably more important than what Khalil Tate thinks, regardless of how good Tate is (and he's loving incredible). Niumatalolo would be super popular in Tucson; he'd fit in great (though caveat: I haven't lived in Tucson in 12 years).

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 12, 2018

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Also yeah, Arizona contending every few years would be incredible. I'd kill just for a bowl game every year.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Dango Bango posted:

Dammit you beat me to making this comment. Whether or not Ken goes full flexbone/triple option or implements some read option, Tate is still going to be doing what he does best in running the ball.
:eng101: Tate is actually a very good passer! This is likely amplified a great deal by Arizona's awesome running game, but he does have incredible touch and can make some amazing passes.

The thing is, though: a coach shouldn't be brought in based on the current personnel. You don't want to lose a guy like Khalil Tate, but if he isn't on board that cannot be a deal-breaker for hiring a coach, because Tate will exhaust his eligibility in two years, and your coach, presumably, will still be around. If you think your coach can win, he should be able to win without your star player--otherwise, why are you hiring him?

I hope Heeke realizes that the backlash is because fans are stupid as poo poo, not because Niumatalolo isn't the right hire--he absolutely would be a better hire than Sumlin in my mind, but fans are loving mad, apparently. UCLA got the home-run hire of this year, but Niumatalolo would be the easy runner-up.

EDIT: For the record I would be 100% happy with Sumlin, he'd be a very good hire for Arizona. But I think long-term Niumatalolo is the easy choice.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 13, 2018

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Welp
https://twitter.com/CFBHeather/status/952583419577454599
I do hope that Arizona didn't try to insist he do something other than whatever the gently caress he wants, or insist that he do something that makes Khalil Tate happy. That would be the stupidest reason to not hire a coach.

I can totally see why he'd stay at Navy but I do hope it wasn't because Arizona was stupid as poo poo.

Kevin Sumlin come on down, please?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm really glad he's staying at Navy because they seem like a perfect match. But I don't know what else there is left to do there besides win the AAC title game.
Yeah I mean he's probably got the best spot in all of midmajordom--you have a clear path to an NY6 game, your job is about as secure as anyone's, and you get tons of TV time because you're Navy. It's hard to say that Arizona is a clear upgrade for him when it's clear that fans didn't want him (dumbly), he'd have to deal with P5 boosters, and he'd be at a school that's traditionally hard to win at, especially consistently. I'm sure he'd probably have won big at Arizona, but I'm not sure Arizona would be patient enough--especially since it was clear it wasn't a popular choice (which speaks to the incredible stupidity of the average fan).

I just hope it came down to that, though, and not Arizona being stupid.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
It's hard to be disappointed because Sumlin is a good hire.

On the other hand, http://footballscoop.com/news/ken-niumatalolo-walks-away-from-arizonas-search-process/

quote:

Sources tell FootballScoop this tweet spooked Arizona’s president and gave him pause during the search. Arizona and Niumatalolo were already well into negotiations at this point sources tell FootballScoop. Saturday morning both the search firm and Niumatalolo thought they would get a deal done we are told; but University leadership had yet to fully approve the hire. Later Saturday the public began to see tweets DHR hoped would begin to sway Arizona leadership back in support of Niumatalolo; but it appears those tweets (from writers and coaches) were about two days too late. Some might suppose the firm should have been more proactive in addressing known potential concerns of star players; but alas some seem to value secrecy over hiring the right man.

if true, lol

EDIT: Sumlin's retaining Yates as DC and hiring Noel Mazzone as OC, that's all good.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I got my Master's at UH when Sumlin was coaching Keenum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Ink is on Malzahn's $49m/7 contract; Auburn owes him 75% of what remains if they ever fire him, but the buyout on his end is essentially negligible.
Given that people were talking about him as being on the hot seat before the Georgia and Alabama games (lol the loving SEC man, I swear), I can't blame him or his agent for negotiating that.

• Locked thread