Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ole Miss is totally going for the Mad Hatter. That place is all about starting the SEC retread wagon, maybe they can get the retread this time!

i have no basis in thinking this and am basically just speculating hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

That would be a terrible decision on even an interim basis.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

famous last words

truer words never spoken

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Firing midseason is dumb unless the coach is a literal criminal imo. What do you have to gain from cratering your team even worse than it probably already is and showing the coaching community you don't even have the decency to let them finish their own grave.

The mid season retire tho is amazing and more coaches should pull that when they're old and ready to hand it off.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

lamentable dustman posted:

Worked for Clemson :shrug:

There are exceptions to every rule :iiam:

Much like VT was the exception to sending your hall of fame coach to pasture.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Y'all need to return to the glory days. Hire Niaumatolo(?) from Navy or Calhoun from AF and go full triple option. Or be super nice and do what I saw on Twitter and take CPJ away from the ACC. that would be fine too.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Dilber posted:

Come on Nebraska. Hire Al Golden.

Been wondering when we'd see a sideline graced with his goofy tie wearing self. I could see Nebraska fitting for him, they'd love how CLASSY he is.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Butch probably isn't gone at that cost (but SEC madness and Tennessee boosters might fix that), but I'm finally on board with the other Vols fans here. He ain't gonna fix this ship, its a sinking pile full of holes you thought we fixed but really just stuck some shiny duct tape over. Except now that shine is totally gone and all that's left is the underachieving rudderless disaster that is this program since Kiffin left town in the middle of the night.

Throw in his insane press moments and yeah he makes it really hard to defend him, you can't be nutty and be losing.

SEC gonna fire a lot of dudes and pay them to not coach. Honestly maybe we need to be applying harder for these kush payouts most of us can't be worse than some of the dreck out there currently.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

If Tennessee wants to throw boats of money at Chip Kelly I'm okay with that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Phil Fulmer's revenge

Oh just you wait this team makes a bowl and they can Butch you can bet your fuckin mortgage that Fulmer will be the interim coach for the bowl just like Alvarez did at Wiscy. They didn't bring him back as an advisor and him not take that chance if it's there.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

And a pretty good one too! (Detroit)

Did you know Derek Dooley is a coordinator in the NFL too??

I thought Dooley was like a WR coach or something, not really as impressive.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Uhh if true p damning account of their athletic department's attitude.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Pennsylvania is an objectively better place than Ohio. Ohio is miserable.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

This can only go badly for the Vols honestly imo. I blame myself since they've been trash starting with the year I attended UTK for grad school.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

you can do the SEC a favor and keep going back to grad school for more degrees.

Seems like the one did enough damage.

At some point I want to earn a PhD, but it certainly won't be from an SEC school. I'm not moving back to that part of the country ever. I do hope to continue my trend of attending schools with orange as a primary color tho.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

an adult beverage posted:

Get your PhD at Bama

HERESY

nate fisher posted:

What year was that? I blame myself, because I moved to Knoxville from Johnson City in 2005. I keep telling my kids (who are now almost adults) about how it use to be.

Sooner or later they got to come out of this right? Or is that what Nebraska fans keep telling themselves?

My first semester was fall of '08 (graduated Fall 09). I chose UT over Central Michigan and Miss St programs because I didn't want to be in the frozen north or in an even smaller more bumfucked southern town. Plus UT had almost won the SEC the year prior. I went hoping for more of that and welp. At least I got that Halloween Kiffin game vs OBC in the one off black jerseys.

Personally I think yes, Butch showed you can still recruit at an elite level to the school and its still in a much better location to pull talent than Nebraska (although the relative strength of their divisions might be up for debate both are in the "weaker" of the divisions in their conference), but I do feel like the analogy between the two programs is appropriate. We might just be deluding ourselves like Nebraska fans, but I think our chances are better than theirs at being a consistent conference/national title contender again.

MourningView posted:

Butch has the two best Tennessee seasons of the last decade.

Yeah this is true, but when that record still only includes 1 winning record in conference and the others are losing, throw in the missed NY6 bowls because they can't finish and just out athlete some bored Big 10 team it just doesn't really look as impressive to Vols fans as it probably does to those outside the program.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 20, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I really doubt Fuente gets pulled from VT after 2 years. Doesn't seem like his style given the overtures he turned down at Memphis. I also think we're a good job worth staying at.

Gonna be a wild carousel because I agree with LLCoolJD I don't really know who you look at in the coaching world right now and go "YEAH THAT GUY IS THE NEW HOT THING" who isn't already in an alright spot or is cost prohibitive. I think there will be some coach swapping more likely than not. Some alright coaches seem to need a reset; Butch, Sumlin, Bert, Graham, Anderson, McElwain was well thought of until now. Wouldn't surprise me to see Florida think Sumlin could be alright over in the east not having to play Bama every year or something like that.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

I don't either, but I think he's a good enough coach that UF would be irresponsible not to test the water with him.

I think VT is a better job than UF in a lot of ways--more stable, lower expectations (this isn't an insult btw), great facilities, cool college town, great fans--but UF has a much higher ceiling and some coaches really want to take a shot at it in spite of the incredible pressures.

I blame no one for trying, even if it means we have to pay him more. Unlike the Beamer era where no one wanted our coaches besides Bud I think it's a mark of a good program when other places want your coaches. Cornelson is gonna get a shot somewhere in the next 2-5 years for sure imo.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Petersen I would think is low on folks lists after how long he stuck around at Boise (well documented help for his kid not with standing) I get the impression people just don't think he has much interest in moving in general.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

It's gonna be okay CB team is way young. Fuente can't literally play for them, we left a ton on the field bumbling around. Team didn't look unprepared just not comfortable, we've been mediocre for a while that wasn't gonna get shaken off in one season. Iowa State also went out and lost to WVU so transitive win!

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Sir Thats Gross posted:

There’s some wild flight tracking going on at some message boards. Goddamn people. The speculation is entertaining and all, but we really won’t know until we know. I’m ready for the no Gruden meltdown.

The meltdown will inevitably come from the worst parts of the fanbase who should be ignored. I don't think there is a single Vols fan on here that wants Gruden. It will be a collective sigh of relief when it isn't him from most of us I think.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I legit would be fine with Kiffykins coming back to Rocky Top. He never should have left.

It won't happen, but it would be far from the worst hire they could make. Which is really my biggest struggle this cycle, I don't think there are many coaches you can pry from a P5 spot, or would want to take from the G5 this year.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I will be immensely disappointed if the Vols don't hire Les.

This seems like it should have been the obvious choice from day 1 though and they've hosed it up at every turn so I have no doubt they'll continue to gently caress this up until we have another Dooley except it'll be the 20th choice instead of the 2nd or 3rd as a bad idea.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Really i say what I said because honestly Rocky Top is such a mad house at least his wacky personality would fit with our tire fire, reports are he's actually interested in it, and the fan base would like it for a little while.

Plus as noted guy can recruit folks, if he actually put competent offensive coaches on his staff who knows.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Butch was really good at recruiting! They have mostly the same problems.

Sort of? Butch signed a bunch of high * guys who didn't pan out or left the team and now you see what that has resulted in. No depth, guys out of scheme, and umm kind of a mess.

Les feels like a more competent recruiter than Butch really was, certainly at keeping guys in the program which Butch really couldn't manage to do once he got them on campus.

Plus just personality wise Les seems cool af, while Butch always came off as your constipated grandpa.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

Recruiting and developing those recruits are two different skills. Just because they didn’t pan out or left the team doesn’t mean they weren’t initially good/great recruits.

Apparently Currie has gone missing, nobody can get in touch with him. He dead y’all.

When those guys leave, never go anywhere or do anything else? When you drive off players with your awful attitude (appears to be he was a real poo poo person beyond whatever we thought of his coaching). That's bad evals and bad development. To counter MV's point, I don't see that as a problem Les had.

Currie used us to get to that sweet sweet appalachian meth now we'll never find him again until his bones surface in a WV park.

Honestly Les simply seems like a coach who won't be immediately disappointing, I just fear we're sitting here waiting for Derek Dooley 2.0 to drag us further into the dark fog of lovely programs.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 1, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

If true....

LEACH GOOD

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Lets see how tall this tire fire on Rocky Top can get stacked yall

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Joey Freshwater posted:

:siren: Tennessee Women’s volleyball coach of 20+ years has resigned :siren:

Aww wow. He is a really great guy, he was in the Sports Management Masters program while I was it at at UTk (surprise they'll pay for coaches to get degrees if they want them too). I had a number of classes with him and supported the volleyball team because of him. Didn't hurt that those ladies are the best looking female student athletes on campus either.

Hopefully they find another class act to follow him up.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I cannot fathom how anyone would want that Dooley running your program after how he burned Tennessee to the ground and really didnt do much at La Tech.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

MourningView posted:

Jesus he was 4-8 his last year there, what the gently caress Tennessee

We didn't understand it then either.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Fulmer is just another symptom of the cancer on Rocky Top. I would love Pruitt to succeed, but I bet he does alright and then fucks off for a better less hosed department in a couple years.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

nate fisher posted:

I hope to God he is forced to choose between us and Bama in 5 years. That means he has at least done a great job.

If there is anything to be said for the SEC they're really doing a great job of testing out the Saban replacements for Bama before Bama comes back to reclaim what was always theirs.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

good thing UTk has one of the hugest Nike contracts, no shame in literally destroying materials that you could have donated or something I guess. JUST GIVE US FRESH KICKS FOR THIS FRESH REGIME.

Actually I hope they don't change our unis, i really like what Nike did for us the checkerboard accents are great.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

KKKLIP ART posted:

I love that Herm Edwards has a fully guaranteed contract

The ASU coeds will come to regret that when their athletics fees go up. Not that they'll notice, seems like that place has 1 class and the class is topless party.

Real talk this hire feels completely like a pathetic handout to a friend, like Herm's old agent is the AD and is buddies with his new agent and they all just were like look: we can milk this Pac 12 school real hard with lots of business jargon when we announce you okay, you can go spend a few years playing golf in Arizona picking up on the hot moms Herm how does that sound while we drain this place of millions. I just can't see how a competent organization would hire a guy as HC who wasn't very good at it 20 years ago and doesn't even know what the NCAA recruiting rules are or that modern jerseys are made out of fancy materials that stretch and aren't just like burlap sacks anymore. It feels like a total farce and they're the maniacal baddies laughing in the background at how gullible the ASU admin is.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 9, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

For SMU I think Dykes is a quality hire. He is a tenured enough coach to know what he's doing, be able to hire some decent assistants, and he's from a similar background as Morris (not the same I'm aware) but the players should be able to pick up what he wants to do quickly. I thought he was p okay at Cal just couldn't get the D figured out which may be less of an issue in CUSA maybe or maybe worse I dunno. Either way SMU did okay imo.

Plus he's been in Dallas/Ft Worth for the past year with Gary at TCU so he should have a firm grasp on the recruiting landscape.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Fuente/VT makes the most underwhelming beameresqe hire they could imagine promoting some dude you've never heard of to be the 10th coach. Completely disappointing. Fuente is rapidly burning up his good will with parts of our fanbase by not being aggressive enough just about everywhere.

On the one hand it's probably not surprising we didn't completely move away from the Beamer mold, on the other hand we really needed to get a more modern approach than "hire your buddies and keep em forever" as a coaching hallmark.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

What is the joke when we expect our P5 coach to hire and recruit to the position I think most of us feel VT should be?

Most places hire a new coach and usually instantly have recruiting returns. We didn't, basically just recruiting at the same level in terms of results. Every school in the country had a year to figure out their 10th coach, and lots of quality coaches moved from good programs to other quality programs for a new opportunity. loving SHANE BEAMER LEFT GEORGIA TO GO TO OKLAHOMA. Top quality coaching staffs find ways to get above replacement level hires when a new opportunity hits. Fuente either completely whiffed or didn't care enough to look outside the building. Either way it's a frustrating point for VT fans because I think we can see the missing pieces to our program taking the next step and Fuente is def doing more of the same that kept us good, but not really good enough for a long time under Beamer. We wanted new and better, and after 2 years a lot of us are feeling like we didn't really.

Yes he got us back to being ranked, and people paying attention, and we are right back to making GBS threads the bed in primetime. We are doing a lot better than many places, but I still don't think we're maximizing what the program could be and Fuente with hires like this isn't getting us there (at least perception wise).

I'm not off the Fuente train yet, he can still prove it in the next couple seasons with what he has recruited (esp at WR & QB), but I think at this point we're past the point where he is immune from criticism for his underwhelming decisions.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Nur_Neerg posted:

It's also a big point of contention with the fanbase that we've mostly avoided getting the big name teams in the conference in Blacksburg for a while now, so doubly bad competition. Combined number of times FSU, ND, Clemson have played in Blacksburg the last 5 years? Once.

ACC scheduling is trash and it's a joke we aren't playing 9 conference games with the ND deal on the books too. The rotation is utter trash to the detriment of the conference. That's sort of unrelated to coaching, but it doesn't help perception when you don't get to play the big dogs in your conference and just rack up W's vs the less thans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Democrazy posted:

I want you guys to remember these types of reactions to a 10th coach hiring when you say that Texas fans are bad

Texas hired a legitimate addition to the staff for their 10th coach sooooo

• Locked thread