Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ImpAtom posted:

The ability to just go 'gently caress you, I'm going to stand in this and ignore it" is the most fun part of tank.

Bonus points if it makes everyone else's lives easier. I took to using Holmgang/Inner Release and standing in the path of Rofocale during add phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's just how games are. No one wants to pay full price for anything anymore.
I have a buddy who goes on rants about this pretty frequently. Some people just have to bend over backwards to get what they feel is the "best value" even if it amounts to literally nothing (e.g. driving 15 extra miles to save 5 bucks on a game.)

Arturia fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 28, 2017

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Chaosfirev posted:

I have a buddy who goes on rants about this pretty frequently. Some people just have to bend over backwards to get what they feel is the "best value" even if it amounts to literally nothing (I. E. Driving 15 extra miles to save 5 bucks on a game)

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I've been noticing with supposed high "rank" players, especially healers, that they are totally inflexible and put a lot of pressure on the other healer in a pug group situation. Is this a normal occurrence that they are just so much douchier than the average healer? So many don't adjust and let team mates die because they don't think it was their job to heal that or they would rather dps.
Most people don't learn to adjust in this game and there's a lot of ways to find excuses as to why - one of which you've just found. The most prevalent is that the game really doesn't require adjustment since nearly all mechanics are scripted, so inside of "high ranked" (lol) statics you don't find many chances to practice it especially with battle reses being so common.

As for the tantrum throwing, that's just typical stranger on the internet stuff.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Hommando posted:

The first DPS DC'd and the SAM joined right after the first boss. The tank was pulling wall to wall which made me nervous a couple of times, but nobody ever died.

Those DPS totals are low energy! :sad:

Skalla is actually really fun to pad numbers on if you're an AOE-heavy job, since you have all your tools, there's no gear sync, and tanks usually go hog wild on pulls. That's nowhere near the best DPS you could get on an entire Skalla run with RDM or SMN, even with the second boss being the most obnoxious badly-designed piece of poo poo in the entire game.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

A. Beaverhausen posted:

It's just how games are. No one wants to pay full price for anything anymore.

At the grocery store I work at just about everything is "temporarily lower priced". Except the prices never return to the "base price". Boy does it work to get people to buy more stuff cause "what if the sale ends!"

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

My group on Aether isn't running Omega this week due to vacations so if anyone needs a Healer (SCH pref) for weekly o1s-o4s clears Wednesday onward hit me up.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

lol the post was too bad even for reddit

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So I've gotten Scholar to 67, despite taking some time to level Warrior (which I'm enjoying quite a bit), but I feel like I've kind of hit a wall with my hotkeys.

I still keep my faerie on auto, not so much because I couldn't handle a couple extra abilities, but because I literally don't have anywhere to put them. I've moved a lot of less common abilities to the hotbars on the sides, but I still have my 3 main hotbars completely full, and have to do a weird hybrid hotkey-and-mouse system to get to everything. As a result, I end up missing a lot of chances to use situational abilities, and can get confused at times (as some abilities have similar icons).

Can anyone point me toward some well thought-out hotbar/hotkey setups, ideally for scholar, that can give me some starting points?

e: or macros, I guess. I've never really done much with macros.

Capn Jobe fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2017

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Capn Jobe posted:

So I've gotten Scholar to 67, despite taking some time to level Warrior (which I'm enjoying quite a bit), but I feel like I've kind of hit a wall with my hotkeys.

I still keep my faerie on auto, not so much because I couldn't handle a couple extra abilities, but because I literally don't have anywhere to put them. I've moved a lot of less common abilities to the hotbars on the sides, but I still have my 3 main hotbars completely full, and have to do a weird hybrid hotkey-and-mouse system to get to everything. As a result, I end up missing a lot of chances to use situational abilities, and can get confused at times (as some abilities have similar icons).

Can anyone point me toward some well thought-out hotbar/hotkey setups, ideally for scholar, that can give me some starting points?

e: or macros, I guess. I've never really done much with macros.

You probably do not want macros except for some specific cases. Typically only for quick target-of-target actions (excog) and sometimes Fairy actions (though I prefer not to do so). I have Broil on a mouse button because it's my most used ability.

This is my setup. I bind 1-5 on shift/ctrl for in-combat binds (alt is for sprint/mount/etc), and I bind pretty much every key from 'Q' to 'T' on all three rows. You can copy the link to see the full huge image with keybinds displayed.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I use 1-6, shift 1-6, and ctrl 1-6, as well as q, e, r, f, t, and g (and shift variants thereof). The only class I’ve found that really pushes the limits of this set up is paladin, and I get around it by using cooldown macros that you’d yell at me for if I described them so I won’t

Scholar fits easily within all the assigned hotkeys and I don’t have much trouble hitting my keys when I need them.

KoB
May 1, 2009
1,2,3,4,5,6,q,e,r,f,z,x,c with shift/ctrl/alt modifiers.

Generally basic combos are on normal keys, OGCD/procs on shift, buffs on ctrl, and less used situational abilities on alt. Although Alt is mostly empty on most classes and has mounts/run/etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

you know you can also use your mouse pointer and click things, right?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

yeah if you're a loving casual

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Could get an MMO mouse. With that and various letter keys I have 48 buttons.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, I do that plenty; mostly, in fact. I'm just trying to shift more things to hotkeys.

BTW thanks to everyone who gave suggestions. Believe it or not, I was not aware you could hotkey with Shift and Alt. I'd filled up the main hotbar and the Ctrl one and figured that was it. This will help immensely.

I've never used my additional mouse buttons for anything other than web browsing, so it'll take some adjustment, but I can pick up at least another 2-3 possible hotkeys that way.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
I have all my hotkeys on numpad/arrows/page down as if my keyboard is a giant controller and I just use q and e a lot for strafing. Who needs a mouse?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Could get an MMO mouse. With that and various letter keys I have 48 buttons.

Then you need to figure out what to bind the mmo mouse keys too. I’m trying to use the numpad but numlock keeps toggling at random

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

hobbesmaster posted:

Then you need to figure out what to bind the mmo mouse keys too. I’m trying to use the numpad but numlock keeps toggling at random

I just bind my MMO mouse as 7-0, and with ctrl and shift as modifiers. To make it easy to memorize, Ctrl is the bottom row, shift is the middle, and non-modified is the top.

Argas fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 29, 2017

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

hobbesmaster posted:

Weird, might be an issue with mouse settings or something. I have Numpad 1- Minus, Ctrl and Alt with Numpad, and Q, E, R, T, F, G, Z, X, C, V, 1, 2, 3 and 4 bound to my skills. Adds up to about 48 or so.

Still nearly filled them up with SCH skills :v:

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

hobbesmaster posted:

If you hit shift, the numpad puts through its alternate stroke instead of shift+numpad. For example, shift+numpad 1 is read by the game as End. Ctrl modifiers work though, and shift works with the buttons that aren't numbers.

... Unless you're actually hitting numlock I guess just pry that key off your keyboard.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Mr. Nice! posted:

Every button you press in combat should be on a hotkey

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sade posted:

Every button you press in combat should be on a hotkey

Nah. Clicking isn't any slower in this game than a hotkey. They queue up just the same.

Bourgeoisie
Nov 19, 2007

One ticket, please.
I use a macro to switch out the hotbar actions when summoning eos/selene and garuda/ifrit respectively. It helps save 3 hotbar slots and keeps the pet actions consistent across all summons.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Bourgeoisie posted:

I use a macro to switch out the hotbar actions when summoning eos/selene and garuda/ifrit respectively. It helps save 3 hotbar slots and keeps the pet actions consistent across all summons.

Does each pet have a separate pet bar for the purposes of hotkeys? Can you bind the spaces on the pet bar to a key?

Honest question. I had moved a few fairy abilities to hotkeys, but they've moved for new ones as I've leveled SCH. If I could just bind the pet bar, I could probably adapt reasonably enough to the different abilities.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

If you hit shift, the numpad puts through its alternate stroke instead of shift+numpad. For example, shift+numpad 1 is read by the game as End. Ctrl modifiers work though, and shift works with the buttons that aren't numbers.

... Unless you're actually hitting numlock I guess just pry that key off your keyboard.

I have stuff bound with the shift modifier so that must be it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We were just crushing an O4S. We were way ahead on DPS and still on the first pull of the instance. We're right at 30% and ahead of schedule and a healer D/Cs with allagan field and kills everyone but the tanks.

Bourgeoisie
Nov 19, 2007

One ticket, please.
I don't use a pet hotbar. I use a macro like this for every summon.

quote:

/ac "Summon III"
/hotbar pet "Flaming Crush" 1 11
/hotbar pet "Radiant Shield" 1 12
/hotbar pet "Crimson Cyclone" 1 9
The first number is the bar number. The second is the slot from left to right.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Bolow posted:

yeah if you're a loving casual

I am currently on O4S and only play with a normal, non MMO mouse and click my skills. I really need to work on this crutch but I don't know how to, since the other MMO I played had clicking as the main way of interacting and just gotten used to it. I have seen some amazing players just click their skills, or a combination of both to great success.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Samael posted:

I am currently on O4S and only play with a normal, non MMO mouse and click my skills. I really need to work on this crutch but I don't know how to, since the other MMO I played had clicking as the main way of interacting and just gotten used to it. I have seen some amazing players just click their skills, or a combination of both to great success.

a mouse with at least two side buttons you can use as modifiers is a godsend.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Those DPS totals are low energy! :sad:

Skalla is actually really fun to pad numbers on if you're an AOE-heavy job, since you have all your tools, there's no gear sync, and tanks usually go hog wild on pulls. That's nowhere near the best DPS you could get on an entire Skalla run with RDM or SMN, even with the second boss being the most obnoxious badly-designed piece of poo poo in the entire game.

I was feeding you balances too (And only you :P)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you probably shouldn't click your staples if only to avoid massive wrist fatigue, but the gcd in this game is slow enough that plenty of highly skilled players click their ogcds with zero impact on their play

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Samael posted:

I use a hybrid of clicking and keybinds. I never use more than 1-6 and i still click those half the time. As long as you're fast, there's zero difference between a mouse click on a skill and a hotkey press in this game.

I've also cleared all savage content when current minus twintania (got into my static on T8) and A8S which we cleared the next raid day after 3.4 came out.

My static isn't going to try ultimate coil, which in some ways makes me sad, but also UC is insane and with our casual raid schedule we probably wouldn't clear for a long while.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

:ironicat:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Notice their primary language.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What’s that track with the chorus that blares away at the end of level 60 dungeons? I never knew throwing down with the Oxford Literacy Oel could be quite so epic.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Notice their primary language.

aaaaah, still

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Darth Walrus posted:

What’s that track with the chorus that blares away at the end of level 60 dungeons? I never knew throwing down with the Oxford Literacy Oel could be quite so epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmmJ8XYiOI0

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Darth Walrus posted:

It's apparently called Revenge Twofold, but there's no Orchestrion for it. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Leofish posted:

Does each pet have a separate pet bar for the purposes of hotkeys?

No, but some crazy people like to pull fairy skills to their hotbars rather than just use the pet bar. :v: