Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Last post in the old thread! *flex*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

There's a difference between a launch being terrible and the game itself being terrible. I dunno what launch-specific problems 1.0 had, but they were never gonna get around the fact that 1.0 was dogshit.

This may not be the "worst" launch ever, but I think it's fair to say it's one of the stupidest ones. Like ok, I can imagine some scenario where they actually were utterly prepared and some one in a billion freak accident occurred that meant this situation was completely unforeseeable, but I just don't believe that is the case. I don't have enough faith in SE, so I can't help but believe they were just plain dumb and didn't really plan well at all. It's started to make me wonder if they're actually ok with the bottleneck for the moment because they're worried other problems will crop up right away if they fix this one.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

kaempfer0080 posted:

Is it true that the whole Raubauhn, Pippin, 90006, 90002, Susano thing is only affecting NA data centers? If so, I think I might actually be mad.
JP players are just too good at forming lines.

Really though, I'm 99% sure it's affecting everyone (although some maybe in different amounts)

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

SirPhoebos posted:

Welp, if people were getting through before, it's back to cockblocking me at Cold Steel :suicide:

At least I got a 90k error this time. That's...a plus?
same

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

Am I understanding correctly that Riddle of Earth only refreshes Greased Lightning if you take damage? IDK how I'm supposed to take advantage of that ever.
Yep; the Greased Lightning refresh is basically for situations where guaranteed damage comes out while the boss is unhittable. I.e., boss limit breaks and other giant attacks.

The problem I have with that is, you usually shouldn't need damage mitigation during those sections, since everyone is generally taking the same damage and getting healed a bunch anyway. It could certainly help if it's a stack and share damage situation though.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

If a boss jumps to do a big raid wide though, doesn't that tend to predominantly hit at either the beginning or end of the invulnerability? Doesn't seem like its actually buying you much time on GL unless SB bosses get a lot splashier 65+
You're probably right that there will be plenty of situations where it only gives you a few extra seconds or whatever, but there will also be times where that was all you needed.

I'm not denying it's weird; it seems like they're just hesitant to give us a big "refresh my GL" cooldown for whatever reason, and it ends up being put into this kind of odd mechanic that's dependent on boss damage that wasn't initially designed to have any impact on GL.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

VHGS posted:

Yeah, a lot of jumps just take way too long on one side of the hit. I think more commonly you'd use it for when you get targeted by some mechanic that makes you lose uptime.
Yeah you're right. "Unhittable" is maybe too broad, but mostly I meant damage is coming out and you can't hit the boss.

EDIT:

SpaceDrake posted:

By the by, has anyone who ordered the digital version from the SE Online Store gotten their retail key yet? I'm beginning to get antsy.
I got mine, and I heard of a fair number of others getting theirs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Game up, go play game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

What the heck, where did the Zenos hate come from. Zenos is awesome; his voice actor is particularly perfect for capturing the "guy who is bored of being way better than everyone" tone. Feels like he could be a good One-Punch Man villain.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'd happily switch from MNK to SAM if they just add a sword with a fist on the end of it.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is Sadu the one from the tribe who believe they reincarnate?

If so, duh, of course it's her.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's her.

I like how the dude goes around asking people if they're his moon, apparently under the impression that someone will magically actually know if they're his moon or not. But he's really just a total dweeb, and the story reflects that.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

PSA: people can see the stats you've received from food buffs. So if a group tells you to go eat food before you can raid, don't try to eat a boiled egg and pull one over on them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

you're either a giant piece of poo poo or should get better raid members because that's really lovely to even have the mindset to think of pulling
Whoa there buddy! clam down

It's actually the best of both worlds: I filled in for the shittiest static ever who were banging their heads against the Omega 1 Savage wall. I didn't bring food because who cares, but they made a big deal about how if you're not bringing food and pots, you're basically wasting everyone's time. So I went to get food, and one of their static members also had to go pick up food. When we came back, that guy in their own static was the one who had a +1 vit bonus, and when they called him out he said some version of "hurr hurr uhhhh I'm poor."

Then they failed every mechanic and ran off the edge a bunch until I gave up and left.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The biggest change to monk in my opinion is, between Riddle of Fire drastically slowing your attacks and all the extra Chakra stacks you get, it's basically impossible to run out of TP. Which is pretty sweet.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The final story arc is obviously gonna be about the WoL convincing Garlemald/Zodiark to play nice through a rousing game of Parley.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Augus posted:

Bahamut Ultimate is gonna make make Nael Savage look like Garuda Hard
John Romero Yoshi P's About to Make You His Bitch

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

check out my Youtube posted:

i can't begin to understand why people think they're supposed to do tornado kick each and every time they hit greased lightning 3. you don't exactly have to break out the calculator to tell if a single 330 potency attack is worth something like 20 seconds of much slower and weaker attacks.
You're not wrong, but at the same time it's kinda lame to make Monk's super badass attack be an AWFUL AWFUL thing to use 95% of the time.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Yeah Tornado Kick being nearly unusable sucks rear end but what the gently caress is with that Monk not using Twin Snakes? It buffs damage... How can they not know that? Was it just True Strikes for days in there?
True Strike has higher potency, therefore Twin Snakes is for noobs.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

Doesn't really matter what you believe homie, only what happened.
Bringing up something like this without many details is literally 100% of the time going to result in the response you're getting. Proceeding to have a lovely attitude about the situation only makes you look bad and makes people want to doubt you.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Titan's pretty played out.
Bahamut is eternally cool. The right choice was made.
Titan rocks, bahamut is a drag.........on

EDIT:

Rainuwastaken posted:

Based off of what?

quote:

the leveling process will be exhausting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

ArtIsResistance posted:

12 hours a week is considered pretty serious while in this game that seems like the norm for a casual group
What are you basing this on? I rarely see groups advertise as meeting more than 3 times a week, and most of them are meeting for 2-3 hours.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

For anyone who, like me, has been sitting on big old piles of not-very-useful grade V materias, I gave transmutation a serious try today and found it actually pretty useful. Putting in 200 materia that could probably have sold (fairly slowly) for about 600,000 gil altogether, i.e. 40 transmutations, I got back about 1,000,000 worth of useful Vs and even 2 ok VIs. And this was without even realizing that you can't get back the same type of materia you put in. So, ideally, you'll put 5 different kinds of garbage materia in for every transmutation and you should have better odds of getting good stuff.

This isn't gonna make you instantly rich or or anything, but for people who wanna squeeze some extra money out of bad materia and enjoy profitable slot machines it's kinda cool! Also, of course, it depends on the server; on Excal the highest rank Vs are worth around 80k gil at the moment, I imagine they might be a lot more or less on other servers.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

homeless snail posted:

I was in a dungeon the other day with a dude that macroed True North so it said "Now I can ignore directional requirements for 15s! {True North}!". It was his only macro so I don't think it was a joke
While I would never give enough of a crap to do this, I could imagine someone feeling motivated to do so if some dumb pubbie gave them poo poo for not doing positionals while they had True North active. It should be followed up by "...so please don't yell at me!"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

*teleports behind u* {Shukuchi}

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I got to play In the End by Linkin Park for Denmo McStronghuge, my life is complete.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

vOv posted:

Acceleration bomb is my least favorite mechanic in the game because the timing on it is so loving weird.
The thing that gets me about it (and probably tons of people) is that whether you fail it is dependent on the animation of the particular attack or action you're performing. So as a monk, when I accidentally pop Demolish (which has an animation that lasts approximately 7 hours) I get hosed and there's nothing to do but watch and cry.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The robots are just too spammable as it is now. There should be a cooldown once sombody dies in one for X amount of minutes so that taking down an oppressor or Brute Justice is actually a drat achievement.
I dunno, their spammability is directly related to your ceruleum production. If the other team is constantly able to afford mechs for all parties then that means you're letting them control way too much of the map (specifically, both mid and the cave underneath it).

And taking down a Brute Justice is a huge achievement, each team can only make two of them.

EDIT: My main problem, that I encountered with it in my last match, is that you're punished for doing too well. One of the main things I like about mobas is the feeling of snowballing; by making a really good play early, you're given an advantage that makes it easier to do later stuff. In this, though, taking a tower actually punishes you by allowing the enemy to spawn a Brute. And if your team is good enough to not lose either tower, you're punished by not being able to spawn a Brute yourself. So I just had a match where we were very obviously dominating, and killed both of their Brutes before either of our towers went down, but we weren't able to end the game before the timer ran out partly because we never got to spawn one ourselves.

Martman fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 23, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Riddle of Fire makes your big numbers bigger, which means it is Cool and Good. Also it means you don't care about TP anymore.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I was hoping I'd be able to get a roborant without actually trying to be a good player.

so here it is...
merry christmas...
everybody's getting loot
Nah sorry, the dude doin 7th percentile dps is still getting all the loot. EDIT: Oh, you're talkin about Rabanastre coins. Yes, weapons for all!

Martman fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Dec 12, 2017

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

https://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2017/The_Starlight_Celebration

Santa Claus bear!!!!! Santa Claus bear.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Spoz posted:

Even the dumbest pubs figure that out.
lol

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

i am tim! posted:

I just want to point out that the “Minstrel’s Ballad” versions of raids runs on the premise that you’re listening to a bard sing a song that tells a heavily embellished account of your story fight, and the encounter is you getting lost in the music.
And for Unending Coil, the Minstrel is on meth or something, right?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bolow posted:

It's not even hard to be a good justice pilot, you just kite with the laser and play like a giant bitch and you can basically solo an entire lane yourself
Sadly, this goes against the pubbie mindset of "dive into a mob of 15 people and start doing all the moves from Chronicles of Riddick."

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Got vote kicked from a Rival Wings today because my teammate was mad I took the Brute Justice instead of him.

Reported him, got a quick and awesome response from a GM along with this gem:

Cool GM posted:

You definitely did the right thing by reporting this matter to us as every player has the right to become a giant robot.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Dumb Idiot Author David Sirlin posted:

There are a great many things to be in life other than a champion at competitive games.
Yeah right moron!!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mymla posted:

Crafting is fun and also lets you print as much money as you want.

Gathering on the other hand is worse than hitler.
I dunno man, doing aetherial reductions it's not that uncommon to get like 150k gil out of a single node.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When I ran Coils, I had to skip all of the cutscenes because the party I was doing it with didn't want to wait for me, and now most of them unrelated to the trial aren't in the Unending Journey. :smith:
Running noobies through Coil and not letting them watch cutscenes is just stupid. Tell your friends/party that they're dumb.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

are you ready

to be down with the clown
dat laugh tho

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kobata posted:

So, someone finally got POTD floor 200 solo

It was a matter of time, given how pretty specifically suited RDM is for that challenge and the highest I'd seen before generally being either at the 190 boss or dying slightly after it, but still impressive.
I just realized a few days ago that Stormblood added a title for accomplishing that. Of course, along the lines of the 100 solo title, it seems you have to clear from floor 1 for it to count, which means maybe even this person didn't get it. I've done pretty much everything else related to POTD and I just can't believe how evil this challenge is.

Not to mention, unsurprisingly, that player is a super top-tier WHM on Carbuncle, a JP server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

quote:

The following GATEs will now reward MGP even in the event players fail to complete them:
Any Way the Wind Blows
* Players will not receive MGP if they fall off the stage.
lol

I mean, I know it's possible, but....

EDIT: Also wow

quote:

NPCs will no longer have restrictions on when they can be challenged to Triple Triad.