Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Apparently they're adding Lyse's first outfit to the Mogshop (they're not ready to give away her dancer outfit or so they say or something).

I'd definitely be interested in that glamour, but only the jacket part. I want a shirt under it, not a boob tube.

Because of the way FFXIV armor works, it'll come with the boobtube, for better or worse.

Also the Edda outfit is live now. And yes DRKs can finally get their scythes.

I'll say this: the platform boots look really good on Roegadames.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

homeless snail posted:

Is the Edda outfit included in the anniversary sale?

It is not. Also, each job needs to buy a "different" weapon, which admittedly is the most gil-pincherly the Mogstation's been in a while.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Countblanc posted:

dang that hildibrand quest was uh, short.

They did basically say it'd be a prologue.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Harrow posted:

I haven't been able to do the new raid yet, but how does Ivalice work into the world of FFXIV? I'm curious whether they went with "a place with a ton of similarities to FFT/12 Ivalice" or "literally the same place, this is the same world."

(Actual rear end spoilers)

It is currently leaning heavily on "the same world" - one of the main quest NPCs appears to be none other than the "narrator" of FFT, Arzalam. And unlike a lot of the other "FF reference" stuff, a very big deal is being made out of proving that Ivalice was "real", and it is pointed out that the "church" suppressed the truth of the Zodiac Brave Story.

This actually lines up somewhat with descriptions of both the Second Astral Era and Fourth Astral Era in the lorebook, so the idea seems be that Final Fantasy Tactics is indeed set in one of those two eras of Hydaelyn, and the raid plot revolves both around proving the Durai Papers, literally named as such, are true, and making sure that the Zodiac Auracites - which are explicitly the same kind of auracites we've been using since 2.4 - don't fall into the wrong hands, which Ba'gamnan's group of bangaa seem determined to have happen.

Moreover, it's made relatively clear that the Rabanastre we visit is indeed the Rabanastre of FFXII - and it appears, from the descriptions, that FFXII must've been part of the Fifth Astral Era or such. Rabanastre is built on top of Lesalia from FFT. This is less clear, though, as the major focus of the Ivalice 24-mans is on the FFT plot; it seems more like the raid is a teaser for getting to visit Rabanastre in a more robust capacity later in the game's life (the sharp-eyed can even spot an aetheryte in the wide view of the city).

Arist posted:

Like, Ba'Gamnan and Argath both show up[/spoiler]

Ba'Gamnan is kind of a question mark because, what, unless it's an identical grandson or some nonsense, but even human-form Argath appears to be some kind of projection coming from his auracite. He's not too hard to figure out - the Rabanastre raid is basically a gauntlet of what modern Eorzeans would term "primals", or beings very similar.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 11, 2017

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

oh no blimp issue posted:

Report from meeting YoshiP yesterday: No butt slider, no getting 2 minions out and no fairly glamour. Sorry to those holding out.
I didn’t ask these questions, people from Balmung did.

Tch. One more little dream dashed, I guess.

I do wonder about more character customization outside of hair, though. Honestly we're not too far off from the models being in need of a bit of a refurbish (especially to help with the facial animation the cutscene team is clearly hungry to do), but he also shot down further face customization and it leaves me wondering how much of a mess the character backend already is.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Twat McTwatterson posted:

PS4 here- I've just installed the game off of a Heavensward disc. Game's installed on the ps4, but now I've got 20 gigs to download when I actually login to my 14 account. Is there anyway to download these gigs in rest mode? If I leave 14 running and go into rest mode and then boot back up, the download process has stopped and has kicked me out of 14 entirely.

So in other words, do I really have to leave my ps4 on for the 2 or 3 hours to download these 20 gigs?

edit: yikes. thanks for the answer bro

As mentioned, it's annoying but the download comes from SE's own server architecture - the game has to be running to download things.

You'll only ever need to patch once every 3 months or so after this, though, so as long as FFXIV is left installed on your PS4, you won't have to do this again.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Question: I’ve been noticing a lot of stuff in this game shares names with stuff from Tactics and FF12. Is this set in the same universe, or is it all melting pot references like Xande and Cloud of Darkness and whatnot?

So, as mentioned, this game is kind of Every Final Fantasy, but Ivalice stuff is getting a certain prominence in Stormblood and there are reasons to think it goes beyond "referencing"; at the very least, it's looking like "if it's a different world, it's virtually indistinguishable".

If you don't mind some spoilers, the first 24-man of Stormblood outright puts Dalmasca into the game, with a design very similar to the one from XII, and the lore of the Ivalice raid series more or less sets up that if Tactics isn't "in the same world" with XIV, a version of Tactics' events have happened in the distant past of Hydaelyn (XIV's world) that are so similar as to be virtually identical to Tactics itself and effectively puts the games in "continuity" with each other, if distant continuity (Tactics happened in the extreme distant past of XIV). This is straight down to Arzalam Durai being a character in the raid series and the idea of the raid series being a set-up for the framing device of Tactics - proving the Durai Papers are true.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only problem with FFXIV being in the same universe as the others is the timelines are flip flopped.

Which is why I've increasingly warmed to the idea of "~*;)technically not the same world ;)*~ but all the events from the game are effectively canon". It allows them to basically integrate the games, but also to bonk things around just a touch so that it fits in more cleanly with the overall XIV setting.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(seriously, if you haven't taken the time to turn off the UI and just look at the environment, stop, and do just that. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbLr1c27r78 )

Even four years on, XIV has basically the best skybox tech in the entire industry. How nobody has been able to surpass an MMO in this regard mystifies me.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

As far as crafting goes, I'm annoyed that all the DoH/DoL sets are now class-locked. The older DoH sets being all-class opened some really nice glam options, and frankly I wish there was a way to wear class-specific sets as a combat class if you have the relevant DoH/L class leveled. But no, now we have more options locked behind class walls, thanks YoshiP :mad:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The SNES games can be a little difficult for "younger" (by which I mean folks in their 20s these days) (gently caress im old) players to appreciate these days because you have to keep in mind the context of their releases, and if you aren't literally living in 1991-1994 it can be a lot harder to do that. VI is still pretty cool, but in 1994 it was doing things people were a little unsure videogames could even do. The final boss having a fifteen-minute long four-piece suite as his theme (and yes, that's the typical time on the soundtrack; with a standard double loop for each piece, Dancing Mad comes out to just north of 16 minutes when played front to back) was unheard of and would've previously been seen as an extravagant waste of cart space and perhaps even composer time, but The Gooch & Uematsu did it anyway. It really was borderline revelatory at the time, and I can't fault people for not seeing how it was such now.

Anyway I just spent the better part of two hours marking out to the trailer and whatnot so

roll on Jan. 30th, I'll be in a coma until then

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think i have the gba version of vi lying around; is that a good version or does it really need to be played on the snes version to appreciate it?

It has a cleaned up version of the script (the SNES version isn't bad but it suffers a bit from cart size and Square of the time constantly giving poor Ted Woolsey impossible deadlines) and adds some of the bonus content they wanted in the SNES version but the audio is notably inferior.

I kind of want to say play the SNES version as that's the version that made people first fall in love with it (and really, you want to play it on a TV) but it's up to you and the GBA version does have advantages.

(The mobile version should be avoided at all costs however.)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mazed posted:

So, do monks get anything? Like at all?

MNK: Riddle of Wind can grant GL stack(s), Brotherhood's damage increase effect now affects the casting MNK, Mantra & Perfect Balance recast times are reduced.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

It's probably because just like Gladiator is sword and board first thought of an RPG character for people, staff healer is basically the generic healer class so people who just want to play the game like a FF game see it as pretty rigid roles as opposed to WHM being the best Job in the game.

WHM being such a complete baller is the most pleasant surprise of the expansion for me. I am looking forward to WHMing my way through Sigma this cycle.

Also this "rigid roles white mage is healer thing" annoys me to some degree because it means these people didn't play Final Fantasies 4 or 6, where the primary white mage had dedicated "hit poo poo" buttons and where the people who started with healing magic pre-magicite were also magitek knights who were among your best true doom murder-heads, period.

Or, y'know, white mages in 1 blowing up massive undead packs with one shot of HARM.

Healers in FF have been doing The Business since the very start. People just need to pay attention to more than Aeris and also get wider gender/role/etc stereotypes from beyond FF out of their heads.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 29, 2018

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The breakdown of Dancing Mad they'll use for O8S is great too.

Reddit's got a strange thing where they won't share datamined music for Soken's sake but everything else is fair game so you can't get the link there so you gotta get yourself over to /vg/ for a link, sadly.

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/277960222507794432/407792493376045056/077017.tex.png

have you ever seen something so beautiful you were immediately forced into unconsciousness

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hommando posted:

Even though divine benison no longer requires lilies it still uses them up, that's less cool than I was hoping.

It's exactly like Tetra, it consumes them to shorten the cooldown.

Honestly lilies aren't that big a deal anymore anyway so it's no real skin off my nose.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Does this number strike anyone else as unusually low?

Not at all. That was 1800 people per minute, per DC.

If it kept up like that for an hour, it was 108000 people per hour over six data centers. 650,000 sweaty nerds is about what I'd expect in terms of people slamming into the first hour or two of patch day, especially when most of NA was still asleep and it was a weekday in Japan.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I cleared the fight 22 times, so I was sure people had it down to a science. Cue me joining a party that wiped ten times in a row, not even managing to get the tiger below 50% HP consistently.

The one time we got to enrage, Byakko still had 30% HP. :negative:

... Byakko has an enrage?

Granted,

SKULL.GIF posted:

I am really impressed that a fight that easy manages to be such a pub slayer.

the thing with Byakko is that it has a lot of mechanics that are easy to deal with if you think about them and put effort in, but they're really harsh traps for people who either refuse to do mechanics or just don't want to think about them. I can totally see it being a pubslayer because if you try to be lazy through it, you get punished severely. The healing is also non-zero-effort during tiger phase.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Nodosaur posted:

... the Arcanist class storyline sure did get unexpectedly dark.

Yeah it kind of takes a swerve toward the middle, there. And while the resolution ends up well enough, I rather wish they'd either gone further in on helping K'lythia cope or just exclude it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I finally know :sloppy: Also holy poo poo spiderbot from ff8

:eng101: Actually, that spiderbot design is from FF6, which probably inspired the 8 design in turn. In general the Empire picks up a lot of FF6 Empire Magitek designs in Stormblood content.

edit: also I blame a certain Astra Brightflame for this:

I held out for like 10 months - a long time, for me - but at last I am once again A Person With Legs.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 25, 2018

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Verranicus posted:

Very underwhelming patch trailer. Kinda disappointing.

Yer crazy, that looked dope and I'm hype. And I wonder why they refuse to show the new trial :allears:

(I have my guesses)

Rosalind posted:

So I've been so busy with schoolwork and I haven't been keeping up on patch news, are they upping the glamour dresser from 200 in 4.3? Because holy crap that'd be the biggest quality of life improvement for me.

They have mentioned it's getting bigger, yes.

Arist posted:

I forget how this usually goes, we have any idea when this is dropping besides "soon"?

May 22nd.

Philonius posted:

The return of Zenos is a bit of a cop out (does anyone actually die for real in this game) , but I'm 100% on board with the voice actor hamming it up again in every scene.

They actually discuss how hosed up it is that spoiler returns in the trailer itself

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

SAM is perfectly viable, pubbies are just massive babies about it. Watch the potency changes make top end guilds slightly prefer SAM for prog come 4.4 and suddenly someone else will be considered "non-viable".

Also there is a chance the game will be up at 1AM Pacific because that's when weekly reset is. Not a chance it'll be up before then because they don't want people to miss the servers coming up early and then "miss" a chance at final tomes before the reset.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Odds seem extremely good that it's Tsukiyomi considering the name of the patch.

It's either going to be Tsukuyomi, or it's going to be a Return of the Horde-style thing with a rematch against whatever Zenos has become. I'm actually leaning toward the latter.

I'm looking forward to seven hours from now. :)

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I am actually going to try to stay pure, for these next few hours.

An Amaterasu/Tsukuyomi tag team would be kind of cool, but while they tend to get associated together in modern works for obvious reasons, in classic Shinto they actually have surprisingly little to do with each other.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

:siren: Servers are up a bit early! :siren:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

This is A Patch.

It is A Good Patch.

Hi Gaius. Though drat I too cannot begin to place the other two. The girl seemed like she had a Garlean eye (though was a BLM?) and she's WAY too short and dissimilar to Lucia to be Livia; I also feel like she's kind of familiar. The 'zen is completely unfamiliar and I just assume he's a new character. Rip Rhitatyn for real I guess. :smith:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean the Elezen who killed the guy and stole the Magitek... I have the suspicion it's the true Zenos in a new body. I could be wrong but the katana + the way he talked.

No, I mean the darker-skinned Elezen who was accompanying Gaius, the one with the tattoos. I don't recognize him at all. I can't even think of anyone like that who Gaius would've run into.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

BrightWing posted:

I just wish his VA matched the wild crazy gesticulations he was making instead of mostly remaining in the quiet voice.

Blockhouse posted:

watch the cutscene with japanese voices because the dude goes in

Yeah, it was a fairly rare directing screw up on the part of the EN voiceover crew; the actor was clearly being directed to give those reads, when instead he should've been going completely starkers. I would be very curious to see how FR and DE approach it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

The Grimace posted:

Hancock is amazing in that quest. Make sure you talk to Gegeruju again once you actually get the item you're looking for. Hancock set up this elaborate ruse just to sell Hingashi wines using you as a go-between. Sure, you got what you wanted, but he was just using you to eventually hock his own wares to Gegeruju.

Also, for anyone feeling bad about conning Gegeruju: he freely admits he intends to do the exact same ploy to someone else, using the same kind of wine no less. Hancock really knows the score.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Mordiceius posted:

So when the server went down, I got bored and following another Goon's actions, I installed WoW. I haven't played WoW since 2011. I logged in, and it just feels bad. It's floating and I hate it. After five minutes of jumping round, I uninstalled WoW. That is my story.

I've been playing some WoW recently (my old group of friends is still pretty invested), and I... can enjoy it, but yeah, XIV just feels so much better in terms of timing and combat cadence and movement and mechanical design, it's kind of nuts.

The fact that you still have to log out to a character select screen and select a whole different character to change jobs feels absurdly last century to me at this point, despite WoW being from my own-rear end college years in 2004.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

isk posted:

Even between patches, there are usually 20-50 folks online in each goon guild at any given time, and more are available thru Discord. We *might* be able to condense to 2 guilds at this point but that'd still be a thousand characters. The goon presence has remained strong for 5 years.

Yeah, the main reason TPT and DGKK aren't squished together at this point is mostly the potential loss of player rooms in the houses.

During patch time, we would probably still need all three guilds to avoid chaos. XIV has one of the strongest goon presences in a game outside of, like, WoW and EVE.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Counterpoint: my group’s WHM was in the ER last night due to a horrible chair-related incident and I thought it’d be a good idea to sub in on SCH and grab a pubbie DPS. :unsmigghh: I’m fairly convinced that it’s impossible to damage Godka on a healer besides Assize and Earthly Star, and anyone who has logs showing otherwise is doing packet manipulation shenanigans.

O12S’s signature mechanic will be an HP to 1 move that requires everyone to be topped off within one server tick, or else they explode and wipe the raid.

I mean, this is why Vermain said "outside of top-end content". God Kekfa is definitely trying to kill you at every turn and is harder than the FF6 fight of the same boss :v:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

FractalSandwich posted:

More than anything, their engineers probably don't like the idea of giving players something that can take up an arbitrarily large amount of space. I wouldn't blame them. You know some lunatic would gather up 1,000,000 prisms and jam as much gear as he can in there just to see what happens.

As much as it's dumb to speculate on their code, there is one other thing to remember: the glam system wasn't in the original design doc at all. It was added purely out of feedback, and even the original system took some time in 2.x to be added because the software team had to figure out how to make it work in the context of XIV period. I wouldn't be surprised if the glam system overall is a bit of an albatross in the code, having been bolted on wholesale to a game not really originally designed to support it on the backend, and something the engineers would really like to just leave be and not touch again.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Behold ancient Allag's most terrifying weapon.

and some crappy old battleship they turned into a museum or something, but who cares.

I missed out on O8S this time around (got to >1% on O7 before the group had to break for a while) but god dammit I still want my terrifying weapon. Hopefully I can get it at some point.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

If I played a healer I think I'd be pretty bummed feeling like all my gear was always just "caster gear but colored white."

You can actually find a lot more variety elsewhere... but you need to dig through dungeons and raids to get any of it.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Choyi posted:

Very disappointed in the new gear previewed for this patch, tome gear looks real uninspired and bland and the other set showed earlier is just a dull recolor of an old set. :(

There's at least a powerful implication that the reissue of the 3.5 dungeon set is going to be dyeable this time, which tbh I am extremely here for.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Speaking of fantasias, lord help me, after holding out as a potato for so long once again, I am back on my bullshit and looking Cute As Heck doing so:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Charlie Bobson posted:

Also I'm glad there are other dudes in this thread playing au ra chicks because they are both the best and the cutest race.

Algid posted:

This is true but they tend to look so derpy since their chins and lips are so small compared to the spacing on their eyes and forehead. You need a hairstyle with bangs to fix that, but then that starts clipping with a bunch of headgear. Xaela scales also doesn't fade into most skin options unless you turn yourself dark blue.

Au Ra can be very cute, it is true. It definitely took a while to get my gal's face to not look rather off when I first put her together way back when, though. Also raen scales have a different problem: they, uh, don't blend well with dark skin period. :goleft:

(Also I occasionally hesitate on going with my Au Ra because despite the character design predating Stormblood on my end, my preferred Au Ra looks a whole heck of a lot like Cirina and it can feel a little weird having them both in the same cutscene.)

Charlie Bobson posted:

I have seen videos/listened to the music of the final boss fights for both heavensward and stormblood, as well as a bunch of the raid bosses. There is no way in hell I am stopping before getting to experience those fights for myself. Doing Alexander and managing all of his mechanics while Rise blasts in the background must be a magical experience.

I can confirm from experience that A12S with Rise blasting is Cool And Good.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I'm sorry but people reading into game design decisions as being "spiteful" and "vindictive" will never not be weird

It's the forever legacy of things like old school everquest or more recently Wildstar, where game changes were, provably and with documentation, made or less purely on spite and personal issues on the part of the relevant developers.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Leofish posted:

I wonder if Chaos will Cure 4 himself at some point in the fight, restoring his HP to full.

Chaos better have all his bullshit from FF1 in some form. If there isn't CRACK, TORNADO, INFERNO and SWIRL, in capital letters no less, imma be mad. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Archyduke posted:

I had no idea a duskwight could be, uh, duskwhite. I thought that like xaela/raen or seawolves/hellsguard the skin tone was the big distinguishing feature, with one race having the more "fantasy" blue/grey/green/purple colors available. How did you distinguish them from a wildwood in the first place, eye shape?

In general, the faces they have available are totally different. It's not like, say, the Au Ra, where the two clans are actually completely mirrored except for scale color and available skin tone options (which was in fact a big complaint when they launched).