Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I use strafe and turn on my keyboard on the base keys. You don't need to remap anything if you don't want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Khizan posted:

Terrible advice. Rebind your left/turn right keys and exclusively use the strafe keys for movement. Strafing is always useful, but there's never a reason to keyboard turn.

spinning in a slow but constant circle while holding some sort of emote

also playing boring ldrs with one hand

Incredibly stupid and petty but it's why I leave q and e bound to turning.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Exactly, but people still drag the mobs away from the center because "that's what you're supposed to do" as opposed to what's efficient.

is taking them to the center a bone zone thing where im going to be bitched and called bad if i do it?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

I use strafe and turn on my keyboard on the base keys. You don't need to remap anything if you don't want.

Bingo.

Play with what's comfortable for you and don't conform to what others say you should or shouldn't use.

Besides, using Strafe [certain direction] + turn [opposite direction] lets you move in a curve that comes in handy for dodging conical AoEs.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Strafing is pretty pointless if you’re using legacy controls.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
PS4 here- I've just installed the game off of a Heavensward disc. Game's installed on the ps4, but now I've got 20 gigs to download when I actually login to my 14 account. Is there anyway to download these gigs in rest mode? If I leave 14 running and go into rest mode and then boot back up, the download process has stopped and has kicked me out of 14 entirely.

So in other words, do I really have to leave my ps4 on for the 2 or 3 hours to download these 20 gigs?

edit: yikes. thanks for the answer bro

Twat McTwatterson fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Yep.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Yeah, most of the data on PS4 doesn't go through Sony's servers. So you get to leave it on. At least it only takes you a couple hours to download the 20 gigs.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Unfortunately on the PS4 patches are downloaded by the game launcher, not the PS4's own download system. So the game actually has to be running to grab patches.

Luckily once you're caught up further patches will usually be really fast other than major updates a few times a year.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strafe's pretty useful so instead of rebinding anything I just put stuff like my Iaijutsu and Ninjutsu on Ctrl+Q, which is really easy to hit. I didn't rebind the turn keys though, even if I do all my turning via the right mouse button, which I spend far, far too long holding down.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Dwesa posted:

Would you recommend DRK as a first tank job to level to someone who never played tank? Or is it safer to start with some other class?

Yes, it's not too bad and I had a lot of fun w/tanking. The plus side is ofc you don't have to lvl up to 30 and job quests which tie up MSQ loose ends well. Just read a guide and you'll be good to go.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Schneider Heim posted:

Okay!

I'm wondering more on the likes of tips like "don't use this item right away, it's rare and valuable", things that could trip a new person up...

There's not really anything you can do that will have those sorts of long term consequences. The game is very new-to-MMOs friendly and nearly every choice that you make can be changed. Some important tips I can think of are:
Do any blue side quests you see, even if you don't need the exp, as they unlock features.
All the early game monster drops are basically worthless. Don't let them clog up your inventory.
It doesn't matter if you're a dps or healer, weapon damage is your most important stat. This includes spells. Never neglect weapon upgrades in favour of others.
When you finally hit level 50, and are in any way invested in the story, ask goons for a group for the final dungeons.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Question: I’ve been noticing a lot of stuff in this game shares names with stuff from Tactics and FF12. Is this set in the same universe, or is it all melting pot references like Xande and Cloud of Darkness and whatnot?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

YoshiP loves Yasumi Matsuno games, so he has the team reference Ivalice and the Ogre Battle series often.

Though it's possible it's the same universe now, depending on how the new 24 man story shakes out.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

TFRazorsaw posted:

Question: I’ve been noticing a lot of stuff in this game shares names with stuff from Tactics and FF12. Is this set in the same universe, or is it all melting pot references like Xande and Cloud of Darkness and whatnot?

It's all melting pot references. The references to other games all get baked into XIV's background in one way or another. Some are really faithful to their source games, like the Ivalice stuff, while some are less so, but I don't think there's any reason to think FFXIV is a shared world with any of the other games.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

A number of enemies are pulled directly out of FF12, like mirrorknights and spinner-rooks, with the same character models and animations but updated textures. So you probably noticed those as well. Once you get to level 70 and run the current 24 man raid you will definitely see some familiar faces.

There are also some FF11 and FF13 monsters carried over in the same way. Mostly it's just re-used resources and nostalgia rather than intending a direct connection to the previous games but the relation between FF14's universe and other games in the franchise is intentionally ambiguous.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Is it worth it to level CUL desynth?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just thought I’d ask because Ivalice stuff is a special case in FF where it’s all one universe.

But in general I like how FF14 is Every Final Fantasy.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

When you finally hit level 50, and are in any way invested in the story, ask goons for a group for the final dungeons.

As a bit of clarification here, the reason you'd want to roll with friends in the final dungeons if you care about the story is because there's a lot of mid-dungeon cutscenes, and all together they clock at half an hour per dungeon. If you go into it with randos, then the odds are pretty good nobody is going to want to wait around while you watch cutscenes, so your choices are "actually do the dungeon" or "watch the cutscenes to get context." The actual dungeon is no challenge at all these days, and most of the people in there just want to get it done, so they'll blitz through it really fast. It was one of the huge things that taught the devs that mid-dungeon cutscenes are a loving terrible idea for MMOs.

There are changes coming in 4.2 due to this, because the devs are aware of the fact that the final dungeon going by in a blur of uncontextualized violence (if you don't get left behind because you turned the wrong way) makes for a very unsatisfying end to the story. All anybody knows so far is "it'll make the dungeon take longer, we're bumping up rewards to compensate." There are no details for how much longer or more rewarding it will be.

If you are unable to do the dungeon with goons for whatever reason, you can watch the cutscenes later in your inn room. There's a book you can click on that'll let you rewatch old cutscenes.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Yoshi-P

quote:

Q. If you switched bodies with a Morbol, what would you do first?

A. If you're talking about the monster, I'd use the morbol's bad breath atack on cute girls.

:yikes:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Step on me, please

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

What he really meant is he wants to exterminate the cat and lizard menace, which is applaudable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

What he really meant is he wants to exterminate the cat and lizard menace, which is applaudable.

:golfclap:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Sickness must be purged.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sloppy.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Er yeah do that

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Twat McTwatterson posted:

PS4 here- I've just installed the game off of a Heavensward disc. Game's installed on the ps4, but now I've got 20 gigs to download when I actually login to my 14 account. Is there anyway to download these gigs in rest mode? If I leave 14 running and go into rest mode and then boot back up, the download process has stopped and has kicked me out of 14 entirely.

So in other words, do I really have to leave my ps4 on for the 2 or 3 hours to download these 20 gigs?

edit: yikes. thanks for the answer bro

As mentioned, it's annoying but the download comes from SE's own server architecture - the game has to be running to download things.

You'll only ever need to patch once every 3 months or so after this, though, so as long as FFXIV is left installed on your PS4, you won't have to do this again.

TFRazorsaw posted:

So, as mentioned, this game is kind of Every Final Fantasy, but Ivalice stuff is getting a certain prominence in Stormblood and there are reasons to think it goes beyond "referencing"; at the very least, it's looking like "if it's a different world, it's virtually indistinguishable".

If you don't mind some spoilers, the first 24-man of Stormblood outright puts Dalmasca into the game, with a design very similar to the one from XII, and the lore of the Ivalice raid series more or less sets up that if Tactics isn't "in the same world" with XIV, a version of Tactics' events have happened in the distant past of Hydaelyn (XIV's world) that are so similar as to be virtually identical to Tactics itself and effectively puts the games in "continuity" with each other, if distant continuity (Tactics happened in the extreme distant past of XIV). This is straight down to Arzalam Durai being a character in the raid series and the idea of the raid series being a set-up for the framing device of Tactics - proving the Durai Papers are true.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The only problem with FFXIV being in the same universe as the others is the timelines are flip flopped.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Mr. Nice! posted:

The only problem with FFXIV being in the same universe as the others is the timelines are flip flopped.

You just don't get it. Imagine four Bomb Queens on the edge of a cliff.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which is why I've increasingly warmed to the idea of "~*;)technically not the same world ;)*~ but all the events from the game are effectively canon". It allows them to basically integrate the games, but also to bonk things around just a touch so that it fits in more cleanly with the overall XIV setting.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Saint Freak posted:

You just don't get it. Imagine four Bomb Queens on the edge of a cliff.

Alex works the same way

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I’m partial to the idea that Igeyorhm actually is Lightning, and the Thirteenth Shard going boom and turning into the Void is a reference to the FFXIII trilogy’s ending.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have to say, I'm thankful for you guys being patient with all my questions. You've been really accommodating to this stupid newbie.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

SpaceDrake posted:

Which is why I've increasingly warmed to the idea of "~*;)technically not the same world ;)*~ but all the events from the game are effectively canon". It allows them to basically integrate the games, but also to bonk things around just a touch so that it fits in more cleanly with the overall XIV setting.

They've done great with a lot of the games. Remember, after all, that the first 24 man raid series was almost literally lifted from the endgame of FFIII but modified to fit into the game.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Speaking of, are there any overt Vagrant Story references?

A simple yes or no will suffice.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

TFRazorsaw posted:

I have to say, I'm thankful for you guys being patient with all my questions. You've been really accommodating to this stupid newbie.

Helping out newbies is wonderful, both ingame and out.

Mostly because we old vets get to delight in your reactions to certain twists. :allears:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Alris posted:

I honestly cannot recall and lean towards no at the moment, but that doesn't mean there won't be.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Also I think ashley's assless shorts would be top seller on the cash store.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Doesn't the Dramaturge vaguely mention VS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Alris posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Doesn't the Dramaturge vaguely mention VS?

Was just about to say this. The answer is "yes," and at the moment it's brief. Still lost my poo poo when I ran into it.