Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm sad about Virus, even though I wasn't planning on playing SCH. Virus was always the most scholarly of spells to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

ghostinmyshell posted:

Please tell me if they fixed the graphics engine so AA works properly so that grass and trees look good? Such a shame with how this game could look...

If you're running at 1080p, you could probably downsample from 4k if you have a fast enough GPU. There are UI scaling options somewhere.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

It's kind of a miracle that HW went over so well really.

I mean, I'm pretty annoyed that instanced content is down today but it gave me an excuse to get all of my class quests sorted and get neato tastes of them all.

This is what I thought would happen when Heavensward came out, and somehow, everything actually worked as soon as it came out (as far as I know), which was the only reason I actually tried to play Stormblood straight away. I wonder what the difference was

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I made a quick AutoIT macro for re-attempting Pipin while doing other things.

code:
#include <Timers.au3>
#include <AutoItConstants.au3>

HotKeySet('{PAUSE}','ScaleWall')

While 1
  Sleep(50)
WEnd

Func ScaleWall()
  Send("{NUMPAD3}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD4}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(3500)
  Send("{ESC}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
EndFunc

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Kuai posted:

does this repeat and it seems like it selects leave for me or did i just set it up wrong?

No idea, it's supposed to run once any time you hit "Pause". Maybe my keys or UI is set up strange? Anyway, this version is a little more robust since it hits cancel a few times to get out of any menus that opened on accident:

code:
#include <Timers.au3>

HotKeySet('{PAUSE}','ScaleWall')

While 1
  Sleep(50)
WEnd

Func ScaleWall()
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(100)
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(100)
  Send("{NUMPAD3}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD4}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(3500)
  Send("{ESC}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
EndFunc

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Kuai posted:

I did the same thing but now just wish i could figure out how to make it repeat itself so i could watch tv on the couch

Please don't blame me if this somehow triggers a ban :v:

code:
#include <Timers.au3>

HotKeySet('{PAUSE}','WallClambered')

While 1
  Sleep(10000)
  ScaleWallAdamantly()
WEnd

Func ScaleWallAdamantly()
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(50)
  Send("{NUMPADDOT}")
  Sleep(1000)
  Send("{NUMPAD3}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD4}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
  Sleep(3500)
  Send("{ESC}")
  Sleep(1500)
  Send("{NUMPAD0}")
EndFunc

Func WallClambered()
  Exit
EndFunc

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

I imagine that has to do with the thing they added that's supposed to return you to the previous emote or w/e after you come out of the queue.

You mean this 4.0 fix?

quote:

Emotes used in the Aquapolis immediately before the gate selection cutscene will no longer be canceled.

Next it's going to turn out that the Raubahn problem is related to the fix for Lalafell camera crafting angles

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

Am I correct in assuming that the current WHM meta is to roll AST or SMN?

From what I can tell (having switched from AST and SCH to WHM for the Stormblood story stuff), WHM is very good with MP management now and retained it's excellent AOE damage abilities. It just didn't get any cool new abilities to make it more versatile like AST or SCH already were.

From looking at the patch notes, SCH looks like it's the only one that came out worse in Stormblood than in Heavensward (worse Energy Drain, less DOTs, less fairy healing?), but I haven't actually tried playing it in Stormblood yet. I doubt it's actually bad or anything, I only switched to WHM because I wanted to save the more complicated healers for when I'm leveling on dungeons and roulettes instead of the story quests.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

TheRagamuffin posted:

Please tell me this isn't the same character lockout error people were getting from Susano....

I've been getting these occasionally (it actually started some time before Stormblood). I thought it was a hardware problem with my PC but a lot of other people have been getting them too, apparently.

In some instances I could not get the game to work again until I rebooted my computer.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

nuru posted:

DPSing as a Scholar feels hollow now. Not having Sustain on Arcanist in general is perplexing. The way aethertrail blocks aetherflow is frustrating.

I'm not really digging what happened to my class I guess.

I haven't tried it yet it SB but I was disappointed about the shift away from placing tons of DOTs on everything. I don't care if it took up a lot of buttons, I still liked loading up all the enemies up with like 5 different sources of ticking damage and then tell myself yeah that's a lot of dots.

Also I'm worried that making Lucid Dreaming (refresh) a role action is going to create balance issues in the future, since SCH originally had a different MP flow with aetherflow and energy drain, and now they have to balance that against having the same refresh as WHM and AST

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Renegret posted:

*climbs back on soap box*

The best non-mechanical keyboard I've ever used in my life was a generic Best Buy one I spent like $10 on. It wasn't mechanical but emulated the feel of mechanical keyboards and I'm kind of mad I threw it away because there was nothing wrong with it.

Just buy what feels good to you, basically.

The $20 business keyboards you can order from Dell were always the standard for basic keyboards to me (like this one). My experience with buying a random budget 'board from Walmart/Best Buy was that it was a gamble if I found something good like whatever you got at Best Buy, or a piece of garbage.

After I found out you could get off-brand mechanical keyboards from something like Monoprice or Rosewill that were like the ones from the 90s but not giant and beige, I started using those, but those Dell keyboards were nice too.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Freak Futanari posted:

I still think it's a weird choice. You don't get experience if you wipe in POTD. If you vote abandon a LDR halfway through, you don't get the bonus. Failed FATEs give severely reduced EXP. It just feels weird that they choose to reward failure and success equally in the one competetive aspect of the game

Maybe that's what the PVP mounts were supposed to do, since adding shiny mounts to things seems to be treated by the devs as an ultimate weapon of sorts for getting players to do things they otherwise wouldn't

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Electronaut posted:

Also, I've noticed the DPS takes forever to DF queue thing at low levels. Should I shift over to a tank to grind out the MSQ? Any other things I should know?

DPS has always had longer queue times but I think it's worse than usual right now because they added two new DPS classes in the latest expansion

In case you've only played really old MMOs before, tanks and healers are both perfectly fine for running quests and doing damage to things.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Blockhouse posted:

please stop seriousposting at the insanely obvious troll

If the meteor was an atomic bomb, then the current version of Eorzea must analogous to post-warJapan. The limited player housing is intended to make players recall Tokyo real estate prices in the 1980s, and the flashy mounts they started adding in 2.0 are the Eorzean version of the Japanese auto industry.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone know how much damage reduction protect is actually supposed to give you? I tried casting it while getting hit by a random overworld mob to compare the numbers on autoattack damage, and if it was reducing the damage I took at all, it was by so little that I'd have to average out more than 10 attacks to even see it.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Also 60 second cooldown on shadowflare is poo poo and bad, but "juggling dots" wasn't really that much more engaging than spamming broil 2. You just threw them up, healed people, and kept an eye on the boss like you do now because of your 2 dots. Maybe it's just people realizing that scholar wasn't actually that engaging before or something?

I liked that SCH DPS in dungeons had a different rhythm to it than WHM and AST, if only to make the jobs feel different. Like with SCH you had a slower build up to put down all the dots down and shadowflare and then got really big dps once you hit Bane, where with WHM you run next to your targets and then dump all your MP with holy. Even in raids and boss fights it still felt different from the other two classes.

I don't think it would be a really big deal to get rid of juggling dots, but it's boring to make the SCH DPS play the same as the other 2 healing classes and I would rather have all the old dots back than that.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

These days, Ultros and Excalibur are close to tied for server population. I don't think this was the case near HW launch though.

I think the Primal data center has a much more evenly distributed population. On the other one, Balmung has like 2X the population of Excalibur, Gilgamesh isn't far behind that, and then there are 4-5 mostly depopulated servers at the bottom

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I just think it's funny that Balmung gets blamed for everything, for whatever reason. A few days ago there was a thread with the OP complaining that Balmung migrants had gentrified their server

SettingSun posted:

I firmly believe that the two new classes could have been both tanks (or even a tank and healer) that were a blast to play and DPS queues would still be obnoxious. That's just the nature of the game imo

I don't remember hearing about DPS queues being so bad for Heavensward, but I never tried playing a DPS. Also, at the end of 3.5x, my queue times with a healer were 5-10 minutes for everything but trials. Now it's almost always instant.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

The Gate posted:

I have some friends that were super excited about the classic wow server that went up. With some more modern changes like an improved economy and I think some balance work done so Paladin wasn't just a buffbot, etc. I told them they had serious rose tinted glasses on, that if classic wow dropped today it would be regarded as an awful dumpster fire of design, but they ignored me.

They lasted a few weeks. No one even got to 40 I believe. One friend enjoyed that threat management was a thing again, but that was about the only positive that I heard the whole time. Now they're all playing this game.

I would be tempted to play old wow up to like, level 30 or so, definitely not past whenever you hit Stranglethorn (the jungle zone) because I actually enjoyed getting chased by trains of fire mages and drowning in underwater quests and trying to solo those outdoor areas with the super difficult elite guys, and that stuff has mostly moved from MMOs to half-finished survival games now

It would be intolerable beyond that since the zone design turned into really tedious grinding and there was a lot of other bullshit like having to pay a hojillion gold to get a mount or change your class spec or looking like a stupid clown unless you were an elite raid lord.

So I guess my theory is that many people who want to play old wow again forgot what the game was like after the newbie areas.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I assume that DGKK just can't get enough of buying and selling things, hence their house location right next to the market board

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Does anyone on Excalibur want to do Susano Ex some time today or tomorrow? I haven't had very successful experiences with trying to clear in Party Finder so far. In game name is Ross Perot

It wouldn't be as frustrating if it was just someone misaligning the stormclouds occasionally, but instead it's things like repeatedly dying to churn, or failing the DPS check on the sword.

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 1, 2017

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Look up Wreck-it raiding on catgirl bargains

I sent a message on the discord. I did finally manage to clear it. I've never tried doing the extreme primals shortly after release (other than Bismark during Heavensward), and finding a party to clear Susano was really an adventure. I think I may give up on running DF/PF for the rest of the Susano tokens for now because there isn't really enough margin to account for the average group DPS in combination with all the mechanics deaths.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I never understood why people cared that much about tank threat in low level dungeons. It's usually not a big deal if the DPS or healer ends up tanking a loose mob unless it happens during a big pull

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

yeah but what if all that complexity and theorycrafting allows someone to feel like they have some arcane knowledge and are therefore better than "pubbies"

You mean this isn't the whole point of playing MMOs?

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not entirely thrilled with Omega so far. The bosses have some neat gimmicks and they'll probably be fun in savage, but it's basically just "welp here are some bosses from another game, have fun".

I'm not too enthusiastic about the premise behind Omega since it was basically no different than what I'm already doing by playing an MMO, but I guess that could still improve in the whatever the next part is. I also felt like I was missing out on a lot of references, when usually they do a better job of covering that up for people like me who never played old Nintendo RPGs

On the other hand, the boss fights were fun and the backing story has all the funny engineer characters back.

Maybe I'll just play through Final Fantasy V if it's not too long

Fortuitous Bumble fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jul 5, 2017

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I feel like the races in FF14 aren't super important to the plot except when it's convenient (like the Steppes tribes). Even if they gave some sort of plot reason at some point, It felt to me like Pippin was a Lalafell because he needed to be smaller than Raubahn and Ul'Dah has a sort of Lalafell theme,. and Minfilia's mother is a Miqote because someone wanted a cat mom in the game

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Philonius posted:

My dream is still to find a group of people to raid once a week for at most 2 hours with. I can justify blocking that off in my schedule. Unfortunately most people who are actually competent at the game tend to want to raid more than that, and people who want the same laidback schedule can be hard to get to show up consistently.

I kind of ran into the same thing since I enjoy the more challenging parts of the game, but I've found that with the Party Finder even the parties labeled as learning parties have a lot of people who don't actually handle learning or basic communication very well.

So if anyone wants to run things no more than two nights a week and needs another healer, let me know :)

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

What would cause tanks to get one-shot killed against Susano Ex? I was seeing it on rare occasions in PF groups but I haven't got a tank above 35 yet so I'm not sure if there's some sort of telegraphed attack that requires a tank skill or something. It's not the everybody-stack attack

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

It wasn't one of the multi-GCD tank busters that come up occasionally, and as far as I understood there is nothing that requires a shield to survive a single attack in the extreme primals. I guess I'll pay closer attention to whether they have the slashing debuff next time

it does make me want to finish leveling AST or SCH so I have something with good shields again though, divine benison is cool but it's a little tricky to time correctly

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Shy posted:

You know the game has a battle log, right?

Is the in game battle log actually useful for you? Not being sarcastic, I've looked at the battle log before since I miss all sorts of important things during fights, but it seems completely random about what sort of information it reports. I wasn't aware that ACT could produce readable, sequential logs either.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

In phase 2, Stormsplitter is a tankbuster that requires (in my experience so far) at minimum two cooldowns. (usually one of Rampart, Raw Intuition, Thrill, or Vengeance, plus Inner Beast) Anything less risks having to pick up the dry cleaning bill for turning into a fine red mist and getting all over everyones' clothes.

Pretty sure it was this, I was used to seeing the sudden in-between hit during phase one, but during phase 2 sometimes instead of taking like 50% damage they just get clobbered

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Undercutting by a lot is just cutting your own profits but it's a thing that happens and you should just be aware of. Don't put all your eggs in one basket

Sometimes if I'm selling a lot of something at once, I'll split it into stacks and then have one of my retainers undercut my other ones by a hefty amount just to mess with any rival sellers

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I think it was a bad idea to make lucid dreaming a role action. It's probably why SCH MP feels weird now, they're stuck with all three classes using the same ability for MP restore but SCH already had aetherflow + energy drain in 3.0

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Chucat posted:

Yeah it got a bit fucky where as soon as I realized what the 67 dungeon was going to be I was able to predict what order and levels the final 4 dungeons were going to be because it was exactly the same as in Heavensward. I was surprised by the details of it but still.

Also not even changing the name of the raid tokens is just...what the gently caress. I legitimately thought I was going to get a "Prototype Deltascape Crown of Casting".

It's fun to see the new things they add on the side, but there are a lot of small things like that it would have been nice to see changed up a little. Like the musical clips they have been reusing in the cutscenes since like, 2.0, or the per-expansion rebuildable tomestone exchanges

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Not being a game developer, I've always imagined that problems like the magical tiny inventory bag are just the natural course of things if you're in a hurry to write complicated, high performance things that probably won't kill anyone in C++

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

The transition from 3.55 to the beginning of Stormblood felt exactly the same way, the whole "I guess we're invading Gyr Abania, see you in a few months" thing. It feels like they just wanted the story and patch structure to be exactly the same as with the lead up to Heavensward, without really thinking about how it would flow. 2.5 ended in a place that made sense, and 2.55 set up an amazing cliffhanger. 3.5/3.55 didn't.

2.55 to 3.0 bothered me for the similar reasons actually. Everything through 2.55 worked pretty well, but it didn't flow well into Heavensward. Like technically they eventually wrapped up the plotlines from 2.55, but it still felt awkward to me since the tone of the story changed quite a bit at the start of Heavensward.

I think it would have been better if they had used 2.55/3.55 as an actual conclusion or epilogue instead of creating these cliffhangers but I guess it would be worse for sales and require more advance planning

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SonicRulez posted:

I'm certain that the wild popularity of the Steppe is like 1/2 music and 1/2 that amazing trial. The dungeon it brings is good, but I don't think it's the best of the expansion. There were two parts of it that sucked, but those are plot quibbles that I can forgive. Those being oval office Magnai followed by oval office Gosetsu. My WoL could accomplish so much with a simple "Please stop" followed by the palm punch emote.

I really liked wandering through the zone and meeting all the different steppes tribes. RPGs are all about stories where you meet weird people/creatures to me. I hope there are other races that turn out to be secretly interesting like the steppes Au Ra. (and get some follow up quests with more tribes...there are supposed to be like 50 of them)

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

I really need to get a mic set, anyone have a good recommendation?

I bought a ModMic recently and it works pretty well. It's a kit that comes with a microphone boom and a little adhesive magnet thing you stick on your headphones so you can attach the mic boom on and use as a headset. Definitely less clunky than my previous solution of sitting an SM57 on my desk.

I haven't got any complaints about audio in-game and test recordings in Audacity sounded fine to me

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I'm on Excalibur as Ross Perot and I would be willing to heal some Susano clears if you send me a tell, I'm usually on late at night central time.

I did wipe a Susano yesterday when we started the fight and then I found out half my hotbars were missing, and a couple weeks ago I accidentally hit the rescue button on the tank just before a Stormsplitter, but I'm otherwise pretty consistent with not wiping anyone's parties.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

bewilderment posted:

So like I'm just levelling up Arcanist currently at level 21 in-between finally finishing up the 2.0 story as Warrior, but looking at the abilities has me thinking -

Do people actually play Scholar just while doing regular levelling content outside of a party, or do you just switch to Summoner for that to speed things up?
It seems like even if you stayed as a Scholar you'd put away the fairy and summon the wind carbuncle or something.

I mostly stuck with Scholar since it was only slightly slower than Summoner as far as I could tell and I didn't feel like keeping up with two different types of weapons (and once you get to 50, it's 2 different sets of gear). When you're playing as a Scholar you can't summon the carbuncles, but the fairy follows you around and makes you invincible in pretty much all the single player gameplay

That said, I'm not sure if it's still as fast since they changed some things with healer damage in Stormblood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Here's a population survey. Not being able to read Japanese, it is my e-opinion that:
前回 = Previous Population (6/6)
今回 = Current Population (7/15)
増減 = Increase/Decrease
Maybe someone else knows which ones are for players transferring in/out/newly created?

Excalibur got even bigger (hopefully it doesn't get totally locked), Omega is now as big as Excalibur, and an entire Mateus of players fled Balmung