Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SKULL.GIF posted:

I really wish RDM had a bit more depth/complexity to their rotation. Something like an additional effect to Fire/Stone that would make actually stacking Black or White mana to the detriment of Balance compelling would have been great. Like, get extra damage up from +30 to +50 mana disparity then immediately dump it to get back to balance, or something like that, like MCH's cooldown mechanic.

RDM right now feels really simplistic.

Red Mage is cool and good and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Hunter Noventa posted:

Has been for over a week now I think.

Meanwhile, I jsut beat the MSQ. Wow. Just...Wow.

Yeah that was a very satisfying ending. A++ would play through again.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Also, for those needing the Loch currents head to the far NE and then proceed counterclockwise around the map, ending at the one on the wall, and you'll get the worst of them easy-peasy.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Final trial we had 1 dps disconnect mid 3rd phase and we ended up wiping. Someone put up a vote dismiss that we declined and we replaced the dps. Healer and a dps drop out (must have been the dismissers) before our second go so we waited a few minutes to get a new healer and then proceed to one-shot the boss with the new crew. Some people really don't have enough patience right now. Felt good winning that fight.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I really like the level 70 gathering gear.

This looks great! Let's go mining!

Ok - I know the nodes are here somewhere...

What.

Maybe this wasn't such a great idea.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Going back to Ishgard to farm ore for my 54 Blacksmith brought a QoL improvement in SB to my attention. No more drat ores stuck behind a Hidden Object barrier. Thank you Yoshida!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
If they leveled recently it's no longer required. That quest was replaced by a bunch of go kill some Morbols quests.

*at least I think that's what happened - could be wrong, but I leveled an alt through there a while ago and didn't remember that series of quests.

Sunday Morning fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 9, 2017

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I know some people here have been hit with the PS4 bug causing a complete reinstall of the game. Sony has released a system patch for the PS4 to fix the problem.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/d363d4f11beddbd114442940de8f324437298ac2

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Your Computer posted:

That's basically what I'm working on now, trying to find a spot for those two where they're more visible without being an eyesore. I could place them in the middle of the screen and never miss a proc, but then I wouldn't be able to look at my fashionable character you know? It's hard to find a balance, which is appropriate for a Red Mage I guess :haw:

I placed my mana guage to the left of my character and put a hotbar beneath it with the two verproc spells under their respective bar. I then put a vertical bar next to that with my important cooldowns on it. A quick glance to the left and I have most of the info I need to play.

That's great for when I need that info, but it's annoying and cluttered when I don't. But that's ok - you can save 4 Hud Layouts in the edit ui screen. These layouts can be used in macros with /hudlayout x.

I have one layout for Red Mage (my primary job), one generic layout for other jobs like gathering and crafting and one layout with minimal stuff showing. I turn on the RM layout whenever I'm in a dungeon or fighting a hunt boss - anything tough enough to care about how I'm killing it. Otherwise I'm in one of the other layouts. Not as great as having stuff hide outside of combat like in WoW, but it works for me. And if I decide to level up another combat job I've still got a 4th layout I can customize for that job.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Pom Friend 4ever

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Rude

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gagari - "But sustaining such a swath presents a plethora of persistent problems. Conundrums that only copious carts of coin can conquer."

Remember to talk to quest givers after accepting their quests or you'll miss gems like this.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
I made about 12 million gil lucking into the 2 new gathering retainer minions in the first few days. Nice little way to start an expansion.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Bolow posted:

Gonna take the enemy cast bar and make it max size and put it right in the middle of my screen :v:

Same!

i'll still miss those evil eye casts somehow...

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Rhalgr's Reach has all of the venders, the crafting turn-ins, a summoning bell and a company chest. Tons of free space, everything is tents and roughly furnished rooms. An aetheryte network and interesting features to build around.

Other places might see some small development due to beast tribe dailies and plot advancement, but i'd be surprised if RR wasn't the big hub of the expansion that saw frequent updates.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

wfwon posted:

Did they change the transfer policy recently? I can't seem to find Excalibur on the transfer list.

Just had a look and it's there. About 1/3 the way down.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

itskage posted:

3) Aside from #2, failure in the solo instance is usually your fault. There's nobody else to blame in this, no pugs, no team, just your fault. It just feels worse than losing together.

I'll have you know it was solely the developers' fault. :smug:

And Raubahn for stacking on me when he should have been scattering. drat noob.

Honestly though I thought it was a lot of fun.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
200 new posts about the spell Protect

this thread is more useless than the spell

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

SonicRulez posted:

The most annoying thing I ever see in conversation about this game is exaggerating how much of an unbearable slog the game is.

Especially when being specifically compared to WoW, whose leveling experience is in an especially dire place, desperately in need of an overhaul. I've been subscribed to both since ARR was released and FFXIV has taken the vast majority of my MMO time over the last year or two. I've just come to like it better.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The biggest perk of working 3rd shift is not needing to wake up early for a game patch.

Other perks include.... <crickets>

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
The 3.x quests are much better than the 2.x quests.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Letting Private Pimp skate is also somewhat a result of Doma's population being severely damaged by Garlean's invasion, an unsuccessful revolt and the subsequent brutal occupation. Maybe in a more stable nation people like Mr Pimp could be punished more harshly, but I don't know that Doma has that luxury. If he's no longer actively being a shithead, you just find a place for him to contribute.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Contemplating the blade

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Generic Hyur?

Generic Glamour??

Generic Home???

All Right!

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Vermain posted:

All's I'm gonna say is that it's only $5. It's not too late to embrace the superior choice.

Naw I'm good.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
One thing I love in this game over WoW is no faction bs and you can play any class on any race. No "oh orcs could never understand ~The Light~ enough to become a paladin" garbage Blizzard loves so much.

Play what you like with whoever you like and all on one character to boot and the lore doesn't suffer one bit for it.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mymla posted:

Namazu and moogles are extremely good and I love them.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Countblanc posted:

I liked the part where he said Eureka takes player skill.

Regardless of how much you enjoy that content the idea of it being genuinely difficult content in any way beyond numbers is absurd.

Apparently that was a translation error and he's said they designed it to be more time gated than skill gated in the past.

using just one translator is why mistakes like this make it to publishing.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

victrix posted:

Hello FF friends. Third Party Tools still active and healthy?

I played through all of 2.x, Heavensward and part of Stormblood with them last year and had an amazing time (Sjan Sjet).

Didn't finish Stormblood and life has kept me busy, but it's been on my mind lately, game good, so I was thinking about coming back and trying to finish most / all of it.

They sure are. All 3 fcs are still active and doing well.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Nomadic Scholar posted:

I don't know any of them, since I'm still in 3.x and slowly glaring my way through Ishgard's problems.

I've been using the Moogle rapier as my glamour and this has been just the best.

Cue intense music
Bad guy talks poo poo to npc or (lol) warrior of light
Catgirl Glare!
Brandish rapier in threatening manner
(WooWoo) a fuckin Moogle pops out of my offhand accompanied by a silly Moogle sound

Love it

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Sir, this is the Wendy's drive thru.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Ytlaya posted:

(Speaking of the final dungeon, I actually felt bad for Gaius. Poor fucker puts in all this hard work, and Warrior of Light strolls in with her bullshit crystal powers and burns everything to the ground.)

He's not the last person to feel that way. :razz:

One of things I like coming from WoW to this game is most of the bullshit OP plot points are things we do and not some jerk npc and it just feels really good.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Phone posted:

the namazu interstitials are Really Fukken Good

i was legit sad when i realized i had reached the last tier of rep because i wanted more namazu adventures

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

cheetah7071 posted:

Don't use any FC buffs they're distracting on my buff bar

I know the post is at least half tongue in cheek, but just in case someone doesn't know:

In UI settings click the buff bar, click the cog wheel and select "separate bars" or something like that. Move misc buffs (mounted, fc buffs) off to the edge and enjoy finally having those buff icons out of the middle of your screen all the time.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Mordiceius posted:

A friend and I were talking about WoW vs FFXIV (in the wake of the dreadful WoW patch) and it seems that the WoW leveling experience still takes close to 100 hours for alts. And somewhere like 250+ hours for new players.

Plenty of people in this thread complain about the drag the leveling experience in FFXIV (which I disagree with) but I think they’re thinking about it with the WoW mindset.

In WoW, if you are not at the level cap, there is literally nothing meaningful for you to do other than level.

In FFXIV, there is a goddamn of metric fuckton of fun and interesting things to do while leveling.

WoW is 100% backloaded at the level cap.
FFXIV has “non-leveling” activities across the entire spectrum of levels.

Also, if you're into the story while leveling, WoW is a disjointed mess where you'll probably never see the conclusion of each expansion (or even the zone story a lot of the time) until you're back one shotting fools at max level.

FFXIV gives you a much better story experience while leveling. Even ARR is great for world building if you're into that kind of thing. 2.1 - 2.3 is still really bad, even from that perspective.

WoW's leveling is just a long grind with only scattered moments of interest plot-wise.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

Winter Sweater (300k on the market board on excal right now. There's also the fancier Adventuring Sweater which runs about 500k)
Classic Spectacles (25k right now)

both are undyed

Don't spend 300k on a winter sweater. Ask in FC for a weaver to craft you one. It's like 25-30k in mats and an easy craft.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Any time I think of complaining about WoW's end game open world zones I remember FFXIV's attempts and everything seems not quite as bad. WoW's could be better, but hooboy could they be a lot worse.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Safeword posted:

You guys are making the end game sound so bad. :saddowns:

Something Awful MMO threads (really any gaming discussion site) will have brief moments of raving about something good followed by days of bitching about something bad. It's just the way things go. FFXIV is a very successful subscription MMO, even with a parent company that leans heavily toward the incompetent. There's definitely fun to be had.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I want to make a cowboy Machinist, but that would make my Bard a cowboy, too. :(

Macro a cowboy glamour plate to your machinist gear set. My crafting gear has a different outfit based on the sweet yellow scrip gear for each job despite using the same gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Wow lot of posts since I played, not really even sure if I should read them because I don't know any of the endgame lingo or what kind of systems actually exist beyond like, itemlevels on gear and world quest/bounty type stuff. Here's an update since people seemed to enjoy my new player insights and musings

Then some crazy cutscene happened where a bunch of dark souls bosses showed up and said some menacing poo poo about the empire or imperials or something, and a guy wearing sunglasses and oven mitts got loving cloven in half by a sword that looked disappointing when compared to the wielder's ridiculous armor.

To be continued?

Unless you have strong feelings about Blue Mages or strong feelings about others having strong feelings just skip right by the last 10 pages or so.

I never played much FF until this game, so all that magitek stuff really came out of left field for me. Serious wtf moment when I first saw that cutscene, but it ended up being a pretty cool addition to the standard fantasy world game.