Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
Does battle retainer item level matter past the point where the chat log starts saying that your gear will improve the chances of it finding rare items, or is it just a cutoff?

Solitair posted:

It's a time investment, but gathering your own mats saves you a lot of money. I leveled all DoH and DoL classes pretty evenly and the only thing I might regret about it is prioritizing that above MSQ on several occasions.
Aside from just saving money generally, a lot of mid-level items (especially green items) need mats that hardly anybody gathers under normal circumstances, so the MB prices can be hugely inflated from low supply, or have nothing at all, so it helps a lot with that.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Solitair posted:

I never had that good a handle on what makes the most money, especially in relation to the effort it takes to gather it. The most profitable things I usually sell on the MB are the HQ equipment I get from quest rewards.
Aethersand

e: Most of money lately has been selling Moggle weapons at 300% markup.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 10, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Schneider Heim posted:

Just got my ACN to level 30. Just to confirm, SMN and SCH share levels, so one could do SCH in roulettes to raise SMN up as well?
Yes.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

isk posted:

Kinda. Palace of the Dead gives you XP for completing every 10 floors but also has an internal progression system specific to the class you run it as. It's faster than permanent XP and can give you an idea. However, the instance doesn't act much like other content so the value isn't the highest.
PotD is an OK measure but only at the boss floor. Everywhere else, stuff dies too quickly, so classes with slow startup get screwed (i.e. monk sits at zero stacks forever), and classes with front-loaded damage feel godly (i.e. black mage 2-shots everything and recharge MP between pulls).

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I generally prefer melee DPS, or if I play a caster I prefer a majority of my casts to be instant. I don't know what counts as a high APM class, but I think I'd like higher APM, and I definitely like having some RNG to mix up rotations. In WoW, for example, my main is a ret pally with my talents skewed towards RNG. I also dig Rogues and fire mages.
If you like hitting lots of buttons, responding to random procs, and keeping track of 4 things at once, and you don't like cast bars, play bard.

Melee: Ninja is fairly forgiving and has a shorter GCD with Huton, ninjutsu has a bit of a learning curve. Monk has positional bonuses on every attack and requires moving around a lot, starts up slow, and is the only class without a ranged attack. Samurai is fairly straightforward until 62 and then it gets kind hectic. Dragoon is probably the most straightforward melee.

Black mage does ridiculous damage under optimal conditions, but gets screwed over the most by being forced to move by far. Red mage has short cast times, half of them are instant, and is pretty easy to play. It's also great for carrying bad players through alliance raids because it can insta-rez without swiftcast. Summoner plays weird and has the simplest rotation (mostly spamming Ruin), does OK when forced to move, and gets screwed the most if you die mid-fight. Summoner also shares XP with Scholar so you get two classes at once.

Machinist has a random proc on its basic rotation, but its big gimmick is optimally blowing all of your cooldowns during Wildfire.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Aug 14, 2018

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

brainwrinkle posted:

I’m going to hit 70 on my first class (SCH) soon. What’s the best way up the gear treadmill? I know to start with the 70 class quest.
Useful mildly abusive trick: You can equip crafted items to meet the item level thresholds for the duty finder and then unequip it to avoid binding it, then gear up from the drops and sell off the crafted items.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

:stare:

IDK what to even do with this. I barely spend gil on anything but the MGP seems like a bad idea for how hard it is to get. Auction off an Ornate? Sit on the gold cert until next expansion?

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Phone posted:

1 mil mgp isn’t bad

the ornate i340 chest will take a while to get rid of for ~5-8 millionish
Gold cert buys ornate 380's. Having a hard time telling what they're worth though.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Apr 28, 2019

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Aside from the cards, Malefic casts faster than Broil/Stone and it has an instant-cast heal with no cooldown, so it's a bit more mobile, but it also uses a lot of MP.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You want to know that stuff like Deployment/Emergency Tactics, Sacred Soil, and your faerie abilities that aren't Whispering Dawn exist, but you're probably not going to touch them in a normal dungeon or whatever.
Emergency's useful for healing up large party/raid damage with Succor when the shield would otherwise be wasteful (i.e. because it's either already applied, or because it'll expire), especially if Indomitability is on cooldown.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Apr 29, 2019

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Once you get some memory tricks down it's pretty easy to remember what does what.

They're grouped by what you get from Royal Road (Power = Damage multipliers, duration = combat stats, AOE = resource refills), and they're also associated with elements (fire, earth, wind, ice, lightning, water) that have somewhat intuitive association with what they do.... or more inventive associations...

Spiky ice = Crit
Wind = Speed
Tree = Barkskin
Red ("fire") = Damage
Yellow lightning = Fills your yellow resource bar
Blue water = Fills your blue resource bar

Replace with your mnemonic of choice. I think it's more useful to view them in terms of the elemental associations since that's what the UI shows you anyway, and some of the card names have unintuitive meaning (i.e. no, "Arrow" is not the ones your bards want).

FuzzySlippers posted:

How's the hotbar bloat on the AST? I feel like Scholar has a bunch of buttons that do similar things but occupy their own CD.
AST is probably the worst in terms of number of skills that you need ready to use frequently and immediately, mostly because of the 3 cancel skills. Draw + card management is 8 skills.

Scholar might be slightly worse in terms of skills that you want on-hand but more of those are cooldowns and some are very situational.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Vermain posted:

You do need discard macros, but their use can be fairly infrequent depending on what you draw. RR and Spread discards are usually only necessary for Sleeve Draw, and you eventually stop using Draw discards for the most part once you get Minor Arcana in non-savage content.
What I mean is "ready to use" frequently, i.e. available, even if you're not actually using it frequently. That is, there's a bunch of stuff that you might need to do any time Draw comes up, even if some of those things only get used during bad RNG runs, and all of it clogs up hotbar slots.