Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ah, the new thread smell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I only got to mess with RDM in north than fates for a half hour but the job is insanely fun

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
at least at 50, ideally you want your RDM rotation to look like black 1, black 2, white 1, white 2. Repeat until 80/80, then you have a 5-hit melee combo including jump in and out and reset.

You want to avoid jolt and impact as much as possible by getting procs. Even at the start of a fight, if you have a countdown timer you should be casting a level 1 skill at 5s prepull to avoid having to jolt. Later on you'll want to keep the mana types a little imbalanced for the black or white 3 finisher.

Actually it's more like: cast accelerated white 1 prepull, dualcast black 1 , cast white 2, dualcast white 1, cast black 2(if you got it, jolt otherwise) , then continue as long as possible forcing the level 1 spells to proc level 2s and using the 2s cast time of the level 2 spells to proc dualcasts

Jinh fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 16, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The 50 new job gear is 115 nq stuff. Not amazing but it's functional enough for leveling.

e: Beat!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
the main menu being covered in flames is apt symbolism for the whole game right now

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

So (end of MSQ speculation) I was wondering whether or not we would be facing Zenos right when we hit level 70 or if the liberation of Ala Mhigo was going to be dragged out through the content patches. Being that the quest achievement grants the title "Liberator" and Ala Mhigo is an instance (which wasn't listed in the E3 build), I guess we can assume that we do kill Zenos at the end of the 4.0 MSQ.

idk what you're posting about since im avoiding spoilers but your avatar and redtext is a work of art.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just glad I won't be too far behind my friends since I've just been doing rdm stuff. 59 now, almost there!

Potd is insane xp

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Inverted Sphere posted:

I have the most important question. As somebody new to using /gpose, how do you do things like battle actions/animations in there? Because taking cool screenshots is the single most important thing of all.

Gotta do the skill on a striking dummy or something afaik

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I made 3 hotbars for my normal skills, hotbar 1 is 1-=, hotbar 2 is ctrl modifier 1-=, and hotbar 3 is shift modifier, so I rebound shift from the weird hotbar switching stuff it defaults to.

I like having all my most-used stuff between 1 and 6 so I have aero/thunder as 3 and 4, stone/fire as ctrl-3 and 4, and holy/flare as shift 3 and 4. This puts them right above the wasd keys and gives me room for 1 and 2 to be used for other abilities that are sorta paired up

1 and 2 are for jolt and impact, ctrl 1 and 2 are for scatter and molineux(?), and shift 1 and 2 are the 2 ogcd attacks used every now and then.

Other stuff is filled in around 5-7 and their respective ctrl and shift spots, stuff on 7 is rarely used or very long cooldowns like verraise and that party damage buff move

The melee combo, I put corps on 8 then the combo after it, ending with displacement on =, reason for that is once I start melee combo I will always finish it, so it's OK to move my hand over to the right side of the keyboard.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 19, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

motoh posted:

So where's good to read theorycrafting?

https://discord.gg/nCczZ

Heres an instant invite to the red mage of eorzea discord, it'll disappear after 24 hrs. It seems to be the prime source of a lot of job info that's been released on reddit and home to the people who worked on the RDM simulator that was active before SB hit. There's tons of non-rdm theorycrafting. Some aggravating reddit stuff but you cant really avoid that outside of SA. Easy enough to block the egregiously bad eggs.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ciaphas posted:

My only real 'fear' re: sidequesting and lots of dungeons is that I might hit 70 before I finish the majority of the MSQ and 'waste' that XP

gently caress, I was planning to do every side quest this time since there weren't at least they aren't moogles. this is gonna bug me now.

I've been lucky enough to be able to just do every story quest so far, it feels good not seeing that level lock so I think I'll just keep questing and whatever's wasted is wasted. 50 quests are like 2 dungeons runs anyway lol

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

DizzyBum posted:

I'm probably going to pick this up in a few days and start playing again. How are the servers holding up after All My Namedays?

90ks are still common, we had a bad outage somewhere that caused a poo poo load of 90ks and server queue lines. Haven't heard anything so far today but we'll see what happens in prime time tonight. Instances seem good now too.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'll probably catch a probie for posting small bart(z) but it's worth it

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Glagha posted:

Did summoner get hit all that hard? It seemed like there was a lot to make up for the loss of aoe which seemed to effect a lot of classes.

As a former smn main, the loss of blizzard 2 is probably the thing I'm most sad about.

That, and smn used to have all of their major attacks ready for each pull of a dungeon, when now, if I understand summon bahamut right, you can only do your big stuff every other pull. The odd pulls will feel kinda flaccid compared to 3.0 bard where there was a move for every situation that did good damage. Now you have half the moves and they do mediocre damage when bahamut isn't there. It just feels bad.

I get that a big reason for the changes is their attempt to separate sch and smn damage levels a lot to equalize them with their respective roles. I just think we're gonna have to wait til 5.0 to add more depth to the twin jobs. In the meantime, rdm and bard are fantastic!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
At least they don't have a whole zone of patronizing rear end moogles who need your help remembering how to breathe as a nod to how dumb side quests are, the way we did in the churning mists.

Im actually having a good time with the side quests in SB. They're very revealing of the lives of the npcs in ffxiv and it feels good to make a difference before moving on, even if it is a bit "oh i know where this is going" anytime we get to a new area where we receive a cold welcome.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
if I use accel-aero-stone-thunder and thunder doesn't proc, sometimes I'll just fish for another proc with swift cast. It's ugly and probably wrong but it feels so right when it works

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

nuru posted:

Right, that's why I said I'd rather have the old behavior of being able to drop DWT stacks. This change makes it so all you do in DWT is spam ruin, and in fact most of the time all you really do is spam ruin anyway. 4.0 is an awful Summoner patch, and it's not something they can fix with potency tweaks.

Yup this is pretty much my feeling on it. Aoe got nerfed and that's OK, I was doing 6-9k on trash packs at the end of HW and I never saw a non-smn come even close to that in any of my runs.

Single target damage is about the same now, but we're even burstier with a long rear end cooldown because we have to wait forever to get to the bahamut part.

The real loss is complexity. And that's OK for a lot of jobs in SB. Hell, I never could understand DRK and pretended to know what I was doing all the way to 60, so in SB it looks a lot cleaner to me and I like that.

Summoner is a desert now between dreadwyrm stuff though, and that's bad. It's a ruin slot machine with reapplying dots every 30s

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every now and then I get in a groove on rdm and I know what my next few abilities are gonna be so I look at my character instead of my hotbars.

Goddamn we're stylin

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Remove tanks and healers and give red mages holmgang

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marxalot posted:

Basically bring back FFXI RDM?

Never played that game but I guess I'll turn into one of those "XI is better ra ra ra" types if this is true lol

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
There was a fun thing found in the red mages discord BTW. If a mana type is unbalanced it will not only gain, but lose half of what it should. It may be a bug but it allows you to go into a melee phase early if you start with 0/0.

"Unbalanced thing: when white and black mana difference is >30, the smaller mana has gains reduced by half, but also expenditure is reduced by half; namely riposte cost goes 30->15, zwerr and redoub go 25->12"

"Precast Accel+VerAero -> VerThunder -> VerStone -> VerThunder -> Jolt2 -> VerThunder -> Impact -> VerThunder -> Manafication -> Melee combo"

"After manafication you're at 54/100"

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

So they didn't fully math out how their system works and as a consequence the ideal rotation is to deliberately do things the "wrong" way? Or would this have otherwise negative consequences on your dps output? I haven't redmaged yet so I'm not sure if don't this screws you in some other way.

yeah it doesn't seem like they fully mathed that bit out, your melee damage is gigantic so being able to get into it faster is a big deal. it's basically only useful for your first opener of a dungeon though, since it requires you starting at 0/0 and doing a finisher move puts you up 21 of one type.

e: hoo boy this thread moves fast. sorry for a 2 page later response!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dr Pepper posted:

It's also probably a bug and will be patched out soon

yup, hopefully tonight even, since we're doing so much damage that we're verfiring the servers.

RIP Hyperion

Jinh fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 21, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

Red Mage wasn't self-explanatory to me, I had to look it up to realize you're supposed to use Jolt to trigger dual cast and use that to cast thunder/aero quickly :saddowns:

Verstone and verfire​ are both 2s casts like jolt and impact, so you want to avoid casting impact and especially jolt whenever it's possible to cast a different 2s cast spell.

So if you are able to use fire or stone, then you should aero or thunder right after, which might proc another stone or fire

You might know that already! It was an "aha!" moment for me though. I had assumed for a while that jolt and impact were just used before casting any elemental spell.

Now my mindset is that jolt and impact are actually weak rear end spells for punks, and try to avoid using them as often as possible.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

Summoner feels disappointing to me after how much I liked the class in 3.0. It all boils down to Ruin spam in between other spells that lead to more Ruin spam.

I've even written a long tirade over it that wasn't particularly well-received because "Summoner is strong". So what? It's now boring as poo poo. I caught myself yawning a few times when fighting something because of how much Ruin 1 you have to cast to be efficient.

My few points about SMN that would maybe need to change (the short version):

I get where you're coming from and I've made long posts in this thread about 4.0 summoner already but that reddit post was real bad and I can't put my finger on why. Maybe it just seemed really "ideas guy" more than a realistic and experienced breakdown of what could be done to improve the rotation.

You're right about the ruin spam thing and about how a big chunk of the few buttons left after the purge are only for dreadwyrm stuff. I also get where SE was coming from though in simplifying the job, and the fact is that we'll find out what smn's dps is like once ACT works right, and go from there.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Jolt 2 and Impact aren't actually that weak (240 and 270 potency vs. 270 of fire/stone) but fire and stone still have better mana gains so they still maintain a higher priority.

Something worth noting: I tend to go verfire -> veraero or verstone -> verthunder since it'll balance mana better, (I suspect other people do this too) but if you have both procs up at the same time, it seems better to spend the dualcast on the same colour (fire to thunder) so you can gamble for another proc .

Yup I do both those things to keep a balance although sometimes if I have both procs up and they keep proccing when I'm not paying attention ill go >30 difference and feel like an idiot.

And it's nice that jolt and impact are as strong as they are, rdm strikes a real nice mix of being bursty and not punishing you too much for screwing up. Accidentally dual casting jolt every now and then isn't a huge hit to your dps unlike losing Enochian or fat fingering your fester button when a mob had no dots on it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm RPing as someone who doesn't like to be yelled at so this is a feature to me not a bug

Battle voice is bard whispering some asmr poo poo, it's just that some ppl aren't affected by it

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blattdorf posted:

My problem with Summoner is that it now feels more like early Arcanist with benefits. Sure, it has all these skills, pets got changed a little, and I understand the responses, but my point is that mechanically it's all uninteresting. I didn't want to say this without bringing something to table (the DWT stuff honestly was terrible) to give some idea of what I meant.

Some kind of mix up is in order in the future, that's for sure.

I've wanted to try Archer for a while now, so at least I'm now strongly motivated to do so after I finish MSQ.

Personally I love dwt but yeah there isn't anything going on the the 45 (44 now) seconds of every minute you spend out of it. This is just a theory but I believe that the major split of smn and sch is going to allow for more interesting things in 5.0.

It's too late for the devs to do anything crazy with summoner in SB, it's probably in a good place DPS-wise.

And you should absolutely give bard a shot, I'm moving to it after I finish leveling RDM. I think it will be right up your alley since you seem to like having a variety of rotation mechanics to switch between.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Eorzean metaphysics is pretty awesome, can't wait for ethys asher's take on new info

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ethys also made a video on how the WoL seems to be getting more ability to make their own decisions back in HW, and it's definitely continued in SB.

In ARR you never got to pick dialog options, you were basically a tool for the Scions. In HW, you've definitely made a name for yourself and you have a bunch of questions you can answer with 2 choices. In SB you're an equal or superior to any other scion and immediately given 3 to (in a couple cases) 5 responses.

They obviously can't change quests based on your choices or anything like that yet, so at most you get a single changed response line to what you say, but the feeling is there and I really like it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Every time I start to whistle one of the field themes in SB it segues seamlessly into the song "alone" from the bio lab in Saga Frontier.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Alternatively the potd weapon looks bad rear end so hold onto your points until you're done grinding to 60 and give yourself a sick looking weapon. Padjal rapier :getin:

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
you straight up buy a micro tomestone for like 50 poetics and 10 Rowena's token of scripture which are 40 each from hismena in the other catagory at the bottom. That you can trade to the girl on hismena's left for a 260 shire weapon.

You can also buy an illuminati deepest gobdip for 50-100 poetics to take the weapon south of those stalls out the door and across the street to augment the weapon to 270.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arist posted:

Now that I've been playing for a week I can safely say:

oh my god bard is so good I'm crying

Ughhhh I wanna level BRD after RDM but I also promised a few people that I would level a tank next and DRK looks fun now

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
RDM already holds aggro pretty good, dualcast aero/thunder is drat close to a provoke. Just let us wear plate and give us Holmgang and esuna.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

UHD posted:

I don't usually mind sidequests but they're starting to pop up at ridiculous times.

"Oh poo poo guys, someone's coming, we better hide!" *six sidequests appear out in the open*

I didn't mind that so much since it's sorta like we're getting each town ready to assist with their uprisings as we go, solving obvious problems and leaving every town in better shape than we found it. That is a weird point to open up the quests though, I see what you mean.

Learn from my mistake and always be looking up aether current guides for walking around a zone for the first time if you plan on doing side quests as they pop up. In the zone you're talking about, there's a set of quests where you are sent back and forth across the map about 7 or 8 times with several mins of walking each time, and it is a hell, ok? A living hell. Kill me. I wanted to enjoy my time in each zone without flight but that quest design makes it goddamn impossible.

The ruby sea zone is pretty good without flight though because diving is about as fast, and because the zone feels vast when you can't fly and tiny once you can.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jun 23, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love that noclip documentary. This game owns and its a miracle baby.

It makes me reflect on all the bad rear end story beats and awesome times and nerdscreams and dumb arguments that caused splits and friendships to fade and the hundreds of nights I spent AFKing in exactly the same spot in the goblet while leaving the music to play as I go to sleep.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Same.

And I'd be down for buffs based on whether you Verholy or Verflare. From what I hear, Verflare is unlocked first and most folks have no trouble verflaring every time and getting a proc so it shouldn't be a big issue

it feels like every job has been reduced to a basic rotation skeleton so that once the next expansion hits they can do like they did in HW and drop a bunch of buttons on us. There's a lot of holes that need patching in almost every job now, but it seems like the balance patch equalizing most roles has been effective with possible exception of pld.

I think this might be an intentional thing, alternate expansions purifying our jobs' systems then expanding on them. I could definitely be way off the mark and they're just doing what looks good while cleaning up hotbars since it was a hotly requested change. I guess we'll find out in 5.0

Jinh fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 23, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah cutscenes where you pulled out a book sucked, so glad I switched off smn. The worst weapon glamours too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Count Bleck posted:

Deploy turrets, use them as explosives after a bit...

Hmmm. Japanese devs?...Allegory for nuclear bomb. 999999999