Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhonne posted:

I love the FFT moogles. I'd totally play one.

You think they'll have male Viera too?

They were originally planning to have Viera ingame before moving to au ra, here's concept art of male Viera

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Argas posted:

Well. When the Archadian Garlean Empire invaded, they wiped out the ruling dynasty. So a rough analogue for the events of FF12 has basically been nipped in the bud because Ashe is dead.

Ok, my assumption had been that the events of all the other games happened hundreds of years before our current time, so long ago that they had passed into legend and we're uncovering that it all really happened as we go through the this. I've always been awful with dates and time lines though so you may be right, this could just be a big reference without going all in.

I also didn't read the thread when the patch dropped and people were talking about it so I might have missed a discussion in here. It moves fast :v:

Man... I'd just be thrilled to find out, as a sweaty lore nerd, that we're canonically playing an Ivalice alliance game.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 12, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Bunny boy dragoon for maximum hop

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Argas posted:

The short answer is that as with most FF references in XIV, There's still room for Dalmasca in the future, just in bits and pieces rather than a more intact adaptation.

oh you know, you're right and i had forgotten how far the devs take their references in the past, with taking huge chunks of ff3 content and fitting it to XIV in the first raid. I have no idea how I missed that. So I did get ahead of myself, that's ok! I'm eating up every bit of it.

The ship we take to start the quest is also loving me up in the best way, keep drip IVing me FF9 references SE, i don't mind even a little.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

What's going on at the bottom of your shoes? In fact, I think my monk's artifact gear has the same kind of nonsense.

Can anyone recommend a good damage parser program? I'm curious to know how well I do. I'm trying to get Advanced Combat Tracker up and running but my computer hates the thing. AVG flags it as a false positive, firewall doesn't let it scan network data and this is adding exceptions and running it in admin mode. Any other burning hoops I need to jump through to get this poo poo going?

ACT is really your best option, I believe there are other ones but i cant imagine they update anywhere near as fast and they certainly arent anywhere near as well-used.
If I remember right, you want to disable parsing from network data altogether. Hell, I'll just screenshot this for you:

and my options menu:

some people make the new encounter wait time 30s to track entire dungeons as a single event or 10 to break up each fight or phase of a primal, i went 15 for some reason idk, it's definitely personal preference.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 13, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Elliotw2 posted:

It's not accurate if you're not parsing from network data, but it's Close Enough to judge if your group's gonna clear a thing or not.

I've never been able to make it work, looking up a guide for it now so i can explain it in future.

fakeedit: well hell, i found out how to add firewall exceptions and I never knew how to do that. learned something today. as a bonus, I tried parsing and sure enough, i was a bit higher than usual even though i was kinda rusty.

Saint Freak posted:

Well, I think I like Summoner a little better now.

This is more or less exactly what i wanted from SMN when it was made clear that old abilities with upgrades would be removed. I'm glad to see it.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I keep trying other races but black catgirl is all I know. Au ra was tiny and the run animation felt floaty to me somehow, like I was ice skating. Giraffe lady was fun for a bit, it's nice not having a tail on some outfits since the clipping can be hell but the emotes aren't as expressive as catgirl imo. Lala has the most expressive emotes but I like my place at the top of the food chain.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The rdm weapon out run is insanely badass and sprint amps it up to unheard of anime levels

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

"sup?"

the new dungeon set is insanely good, hnnnng

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Leofish posted:

I did not like this jacket but now I kinda do. drat it. I just turned it in to feed my newfound voracious desire for GC seals.

Yeah I actually went into the dungeon to farm drops for seals, and hated the coat in pics I saw on reddit.

It clips awfully with tails but the parts of it work great with a wide variety of other sets which is the main thing I look for in the glamour endgame. The default colors are hella bad too so being dyeable saves it big time

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I loved moving through azys lla, unlocking teleporters to travel to different research facilities, finding clues about some of the monstrous things the ascians did and then meeting A sibling of bahamut who has been imprisoned for five thousand years and who regrets their actions in summoning the primal version of bahamut so much that they choose to stay bound for eternity in atonement before taking flight to the final dungeon

Jinh fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 17, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Warning about the book, it's been almost a year and I still can't open it without getting a migrane. I think its the ink or the page I'm allergic too and it sucked bad

I think they may have changed the cover of the book for this reason, I have one from the first print run and it has a funny smell and feels vaguely like a soft leather. I thought it was nice but I can see being aggravated by it. Later printings have the cover made of a different material from what I heard on reddit.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

I beat FFXIV!

Everyone hates those boots but I jam them into every gear set I possibly can on bard, they're so spicy

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gonna leave any parts from 2.x unspoiled since it's old enough but I'll spoiler tag any HW stuff.

I don't think Nidhogg is justified in what he's doing but I can't hate the guy for hating all of the 2 legged races after what they did to dragonkind. I mean the dragons are apparently one of the first living creatures on the planet, him and his siblings are as old as time itself. There have been many ages of man, and the Allagans are one of the more recent ones.

The Allagans went to war with dragons, killed his brother and enslaved untold hundreds of thousands of his children, nieces and nephews, bound them to sleep in a machine designed to force them to live out their nightmares for eternity so that they pray for their uncle or father bahamut to return, all to use them as a giant gently caress-off battery. And that was just a little while ago in dragon years!

His brother hraesvelgr sees that humanity looks different a couple thousand years later and falls in love with a human woman, Saint Shiva. Nidhogg doesn't want to give an inch because he remembers what happened vividly still, but he goes off to sulk in the corner while humans and dragons make merry for a bit. They create a peace that holds for many years.

Inevitably a greedy human king decides he wants to be all-powerful, sneaks up and kills his sister and has a big feast. Nidhogg goes "I loving knew it!" and tears rear end down to avenge her, and gets his eyes torn out for his trouble while hraesvelgr apparently just leaves, heartbroken about the whole thing, back to Zenith.

I'm just saying, I'd be mad too.

Jinh fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 24, 2017

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah he's absolutely nuts now and although it's understandable it sure as hell isn't justice. The ishgardians aren't the allagans and don't deserve unending suffering.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a pld buddy I play with and I'd prefer to go rdm in ex trials and learning raids for clutch rezzes, Smn in dungeons for the sick aoe, and sch any time I can't go with my friend for queue times.

But he's the only tank I trust so I wind up just messing with glamours and doing easy stuff in 8 man parties when he's not on since I have a heal buddy to share blame with. Doing relevant ex's as a healer would scare me shitless. I've seen those tank busters...

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Wait, Selene is bad now? She used to be the good one! Why didn’t anybody tell me

Yeah they did a big fairy rework, I think when heavensward came out or a patch or two after, that changed most of their abilities and messed with sch in a bunch of other ways. I think selene used to provide some kinda magic damage boost? She was considered the dpsing sch fairy at the time while eos was the boring safe one. But that's gone now.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Selene still has Fey Wind, which is a dps buff. What the heck are you guys smoking?

Fairy dust duh

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
The sweater is maybe the most powerful glamour item added in stormblood.

Plates own and I wish I had 20 instead of 10 already. I'm at 120/200 slots with only all-class stuff added so far.

how do plates interact with weapons and job gear? I haven't added any in, and plates seem to be shared between all jobs.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hyperion has been experiencing a mass exodus for a long time, most of my friends moved to balmung right before it was locked.

Made it in this morning. Really looking forward to all the fashion contests and pizza parties!

The goon LS on Hyperion was really chill and i'll miss ya.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's probably not super important since being optimal doesn't matter, but I've been leveling blm and it seems to have a lot of skills that don't get used much. I'm ~35 and I was curious if there was a writeup on how the rotation changes as you level, because I feel like I'm missing something.

Rn I'm doing f3, f1, thunder (I don't know when to use this but I feel like as soon as I have 2 fire gauge ticks its good), f1 until I barely have enough to cast b3, b3, b1 until mana full, restart.

AoE is f2 until barely enough to cast b2, b2 until full, repeat

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Mar 2, 2018

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ohh OK I thought that umbral fire buff would make the thunder dot hit harder. And I forgot to mention thunder II in the aoe part, my bad. Knowing to use thunder spells first helps a bunch, and glad to hear I'm not that crazy when it comes to some stuff never being used. Thanks!

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chucat posted:

I legitimately want to say from 50 onwards (aka as soon as you get Flare), due to the Transpose changes your AoE rotation until 68 is literally.

Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare --> Transpose --> Fire 3 --> Flare

You can throw a Sharpcast Thunder 2 in there but it'll get in the way of Flaring.

Disclaimer: I haven't mathed this out, it just seems like the most logical thing.

yeah i started playing the job to do as many flares as possible so i appreciate this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

jalapeno_dude posted:

-Depending on your latency, you may find that if you use Tri-Disaster and then Bane/Fester immediately the DoTs won't have registered yet and Fester won't do damage/Bane won't apply DoTs. It's safest to stick something else in between, e.g. Enkindle or Ruin II.

this is still the worst part of smn btw. i mean i tend to use something between the second dot and the bane/fester, but sometimes i forget to dump a stack and I'll try going second dot-energy drain-fester and still whiff it and have my thumb up my rear end for a minute