Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

WrightOfWay posted:

Bloodspiller got a 20 potency buff which means TBN is now always a DPS increase. Also, "Attributes have been adjusted for certain gear." Is it too much to hope that that's adding strength to tank accessories?

That is probably a bit much to hope for, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

The mounts we have already are FF6 style. These are different.

The mounts we have resemble the FF6 artwork, the new ones resemble the ingame sprites.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mister Olympus posted:

This is another plank of evidence in the argument that taters are an evolved creation like the Ixal; "the south" more than anything means Meracydia, and the Onion Knight minion references late-model automaton soldiers looking much like it. Once Lalas developed sapience and started building a society, they probably fled the continent due to facing hostility--even now the residents are said to attack northerners on sight.

I don't have any primary sources, but Ethys's excellent YouTube videos (and that guy seems to know his poo poo in regards to this) suggest from the data he gathered that the lalafell migrated from islands to the south(west) in search of trading opportunities. It was the miqo'te that migrated from Meracydia and were motivated by hunger and desperation.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sade posted:

I realize I'm on the edge of Balmung territory with this question, but why are none of the characters have have moms and dads ever the same race as the kids. Raubahn has a potato son and Minfilia has a cat mom, but the whys of this are never ever discussed. Are all Eorzean babies adopted? Are Pipin and Minfilia actually terrifying mutant hybrids?

Those two specifically were adopted I'm pretty sure.

Hildibrand has normal parents. Well, "normal". For Mandervilles.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

Thanks for posting this. I'm one of those people who doesn't enjoy crafting, so I will probably never see this myself but I eat all of this lore stuff up.

Catmom's still around, right? I haven't seen her in the Rising Stones lately...

Catmom's around, she's upstairs in Revenant's Toll for whatever reason, in the little restaurant on top of the walls that nobody ever really visits. With that said you'll meet with NPCs there for the culinarian 63-70 quests, and will see her just sitting there remarking on how much it's changed if you talk to her.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

So from what I'm reading melded 290 HQ crafted DoH/DoL gear is better than the scrip gear except for the scrip main hand which is leagues better than the crafted version. Has anyone else looked at this yet?

I haven't looked into it but it wouldn't be surprising given VI materia and the possibility of overmelding it.

They should really consider giving crafter blues 2 slots but no overmelding like DoW/M gear.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

While I liked FFV well enough I have to say Omega's music is not as awesome or memorable as Alexander's or Coil's. There's also less of it (albeit just slightly in the case of Alex) since there's no corridors or trash, just bosses.

Cythereal posted:

Some newbie questions:

Are retainer ventures worth it? Turned my first retainer into a conjurer and have been sending her on field expeditions, since conjurer/white mage is the only class I've leveled extensively so far.

Company seals, what's the best use for them? I heard in guildchat that they're used to by venture tokens, but I've spent most of mine leveling up gc rank to private first class. How important are they and what's their best use for a newbie?

Is there any particular use for gathering classes if I've always hated crafting in MMOs? Thinking about maybe trying fishing as a change of pace and to relax some, and I heard mention it rewards minions and whatnot.

Finally, is there anything in particular I should be saving gold for? Only really using it for teleports and turkeyports so far.

1) Retainer ventures are absolutely worth it especially if you're a crafter, even if not you can use it to keep a decent amount of money around by just looking at what sort of skins/mob loot people need for crafting and gathering/selling it. As an omnicrafter I use my retainers to gather materials to craft with rather extensively (though I also pay for additional retainers so I can have 1 of each gathering class + 1 combat).

2) When you're a newbie and don't have much gear you can buy gear/promotions with them. When you're pushing the cap because you Greed all the expert roulette loot that people just pass on for some reason, you can dump the seals on Ventures, Cordials (if you're a gatherer), Dark Matter (if you're a crafter), or I dunno, durability droughts. Basically don't worry about "wasting" them as a newbie as if you greed everything in a dungeon you can eventually turn in gear for company seals and will end up with more than you know what to do with.

3) Generally crafting and gathering go together but you can always just fish for minions or whatever if you want to. It might be worthwhile to have a fisher retainer if you do this because some minions are locked behind fishing ventures. You probably won't end up doing the high end stuff without help from crafters (buying the gear or whatever), but if it's just to relax why not?

4) Gil isn't all that important unless you want to decorate a very pretty room/personal house. Keep enough so that you can pay for basic necessities like repairs and teleports (ventures should more than provide for this) and you're good.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 6, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Nobody would blame you (well, except Verranicus but you can safely ignore them) if you skipped cutscenes until somewhere around Leviathan

Personally I think the end of ARR is a pretty neat spectacle that's worth seeing, basically starting from right after Garuda until the end of 2.0. Granted it's lodged between the pre-Garuda stuff and the 2.1 stuff which is not as great, but the scene that plays immediately after beating Garuda is still neat.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

That sucks, I had 54 gathering ones saved up as vain progress towards the next book

I think you can turn the blue scrip tokens into the i180 gear. I got my gatherer retainers some full sets of i200 gear this way.

If you have some insane patience you could probably buy the jewelry and convert it into materia.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Rainuwastaken posted:

That still doesn't solve the "people hit the button once a day" problem the guy brought up though.

I mean is there really a problem with doing roulettes once a day? There's so much other content in the game to explore. I've always treated expert roulette as a button I push once a day since it was introduced and don't see the issue.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The issue is that there are a limited number of healers and tanks compared to DPS and the fewer of them that are running content the longer the queue lines are.

My experience that is over the lifetime of an expansion DPS queue times tend to go down, so that problem largely sorts itself out. It's already been happening in Stormblood for me at least, DPS queue times are no longer 40+ minutes for expert and have been closer to 20ish for the past week or so. Is this not the general experience for others?

They could probably make them shorter by adding additional incentives, I suppose.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 7, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I just thought Expert Roulette was already rewarding enough--the main thing we're seeing right now is the primary incentive to run it isn't in and a lot of the people who want verity have enough of it at this point, but hey, I guess a little extra probably wouldn't hurt much? :shrug: It'll also help when the new class smell wears off on RDM/SAM, which seems to be starting to happen.

I thought leveling would be a bit different because the primary reward (or at least what I use it for) is the EXP for lower-level classes, which will eventually run out (usually, long before you run out of things to spend endgame tomes on). That's probably why they've currently got it on leveling but not expert. I wouldn't object to another source of grade VI material though, I'm not a huge fan of hunts.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

The problem is the "more than once per day" thing. There are significantly fewer healers and tanks than DPS. Once most of the healers and tanks in the pool have run their EXDR for the day, any DPS who didn't get into those is going to have a much longer queue time. What we're talking about is a need to incentivize healers and tanks to queue for EXDR after they got their daily tomes, so that DPS queues are shorter all the time.

If we had a perfect ratio of tank players + healer players = DPS players, it might be a different story, but instead it's tank players + healer players < DPS players, and that causes a big queue imbalance. Giving those tank and healer players an incentive to queue more than once means that they're going to be there for more DPS players.

I am aware of what's being suggested, I just didn't see it as a problem that needed to be solved.

Others apparently do. I suppose I've just gotten used to it being the way it is after all this time. And I do agree that right now the game could use more ways to inject Grade VI material into the market.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

vOv posted:

As someone who played BLM since 2.55 the ARR rotation is much more boring and I hate syncing below 60.

As someone who played BLM since 2.0 I actually enjoyed the class more pre-Enochian.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

What changed that made it so bad? Are people really nostalgic about babysitting dots? Dreadwyrm stance charges falling off?

Honestly the only thing I don't really like about it is how badly you are punished for death or fat-fingering an Aetherflow stack or Bane missing because the pubbie tank can't hold hate/corral mobs and I'm not paying close enough attention.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i think removing dots on combo classes sort of made sense, because a lot of melees just didn't use them or wouldn't fit them into the right places, but on classes that had most of their damage come from dots, who wasn't managing them? how many summoners weren't managing their dots when it was the entire point of the class?

I speculate that their goal was to move the summoner class away from dot management as an intentional move and give it a demi-egi to make it feel more like a summoner and less like a warlock.

If this was the intent then they should've gone whole hog and have a rotating selection of demi-summons like how bard works with its songs. Except not crappy and unresponsive like Demi-Bahamut.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Stormgale posted:

Red mage is very easy to maintain good DPS no matter what you are doing, tonnes of instant casts to handle movement and a clear simple way of handling things that isn't messed up by boss invulns like say SMN

This is honestly why I like the class so much, no convoluted self-buff to maintain, forgiving in its mechanics but being proc-based still has a lot of "if X then Y" so it's not totally brainless button-mashing.

Harrow posted:

Is this one of those "Red Mage is cruisin' for a nerf" situations, or a "Black Mage and Summoner are really due for a buff" situation? I haven't played enough to know how SE usually approaches big balance patches.

In general during patches it seems like SE is more likely to buff than nerf unless there's something particularly egregious going on.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I am of the opinion that summons shouldn't just be damage/dot spells with fancy animations. I think the Demi-Egi concept is a good one but SE needs to address the issues with how it's currently implemented.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

I like the idea of summons being Demi-Egis like Demi Bahamut that you cycle through like Bard songs, though that'd be such a huge change to the gameplay style that I doubt it'll happen, at least not for a while.

Yeah I personally thought the bard song rotation was a good mechanic for Summoner summons to be loosely based upon, though it'd require a significant rework and I don't expect any reworks on that level (in whatever form they take) to happen until a later expansion.

hobbesmaster posted:

The problem is that pets are very unreliable. This doesn't matter as much if they're auto attacking and you need contagion to go off sometime in the next 20s. Or you need whispering dawn to go off sometime between raid wide aoes. Now however they've tied a large portion of SMN damage to Bahamut-egi who may or may not cast his akh morns within the next 6 seconds (akh morn has a 13s cd and he can be out for 20s at a time so you're supposed to get 2 akh morns in). Then you have fey union which I'm guessing it supposed to be something akin to presence of mind+panic cures or something; but if the tank moves a tiny bit theres a 50/50 chance the heals will stop for the next 2 gcds and you'll lose the faerie meter charges regardless.

Pets are certainly problematic as currently implemented but surely that could be improved. If the AI can't be made responsive enough to do it maybe it could be something like a summoner has an ability that instantly applies a buff to the pet that causes it to replace its next swing with whatever move it's supposed to use (scholars are more problematic here). There'd still be delay but at least it'd be a fairly reliable thing you could predict based on your pet's attack speed. And when you use said buff it locks you out of all similar abilities until the pet uses the ability.

That's just off the top of my head, and maybe it'd be a lot easier than that.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

There is at least one thing that is important for gear that you can't buy with tomestones and that's grade VI materia. The current system of only really being able to get it via hunts isn't great but it's not from tomestones.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

The expert roulette dungeons seem to be dropping grade V and VI materia like candy though. Isn't that how most people do the weekly tomestone grind? So it's not like you're really doing anything different to get materia than you are to get tomestones.

(That said, randomly doing hunts to break up my crafting/gathering leveling grind has been a lot of fun over the last week or so. Glad I joined that hunt linkshell.)

You're unlikely to be able to gear up a full set of gear on the back of very random VI drops from dungeons though.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

VHGS posted:

But in practice it would probably be less if you're crafting them yourself, since you get experience for that too.

Also I got a rather large amount of logs as a reward for turning the leves, they can reward up to 8 per lumber.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I feel as though Stormblood had some pacing problems but overall I still enjoyed it, and the characters are good.

I just finished all the DoH/L quests and I really liked all the callbacks/references to things your character has done. So now my WoL has both served the sultana a great banquet and crafted her a rad music box. I wonder how many of those the WoL travels with are aware that s/he's not just a god-slayer/champion of the people but also apparently the best at literally every craft.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Throw in the stuff you can get involved in assuming you've done all the DoW/M job/class quests (or even just some of them) and WoL sure has his/her fingers in a lot of pies.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

nuru posted:

My squad still isn't fifty. Am I missing out on anything? I basically stopped when I got my gc rank up.

You can send them once per week out to get 5 scrolls that give buffs that mimic company buffs basically. They don't stack with company buffs but it does let you sorta have a third buff for two hours at a time.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 14, 2017

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jimmy Hats posted:

They're also better than the company buffs by noticeable margins

I thought they were on the same level as the aetherial wheel ones? I'm pretty sure the EXP one is. They're better than the ones you can buy from GCs yeah.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Canals trip report: ran like 15 maps, 5 of them mine, and made it to the final room once. Still not sure I wouldn't have made more gil just selling the maps though. Nothing great or unique dropped, just some cloth and one of the feathers, also the music (which doesn't appear to actually sell so I just used it). Maps are currently up in price and materia is crashing.

Reiterpallasch posted:

unpopular opinion: o1s might be on the easy side, but it's a really good fight and a superb first raid this expansion

I like V1s

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

You only play a lady tater if you want people to be creepy at you.

I've been playing a ladyfell since beta 3 and can't say I've had this problem, unless you mean the /pet emotes. That happens occasionally.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Is it still necessary to level all the crafts to be good at one of them? I kind of want to just bang out alc with all the leves I've got so I can make raid pots on the cheap

I mean you can, but it's going to be a lot more painful and I doubt you can reach true macro-craft potential with only 1 DoH.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

To be fair, your NPC mentor in the Red Mage job quests is really good at boss mechanics.

The NPC assistants in the scholar questline also run out of the aoe markers when they appear iirc.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Your Computer posted:

That makes sense, thanks! :pram:

I'm still torn on whether I want to go Red Mage or Samurai... Red Mage is obviously way more stylish, but the Samurai felt easier (more intuitive?). Both are way cooler than Bard though, so unless Bard suddenly gets cool post-50 I'm definitely picking one of them going forward.

Playing classes in floor 51+ of PotD will give you some idea of what they play like 60+ which is a pretty good measure of how a class shapes out. Just make sure to go in solo to set up your hotbar first. It's also one of the main methods for level grinding.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Your Computer posted:

:yeah:

Another thing that draws me towards the Red Mage is the AoE, because complicated AoE rotations are the worst. I just need to find a way to make the procs more visible without being in the way, and then I'll probably enjoy Red Mage more. Also, I wish the balance gauge wasn't so unnecessarily huge since that's another UI element I really want to have front and center while in combat and hidden out of combat. I miss UI addons :sigh:

You can shrink the gauge to around 60%? 80%? of its original size, I think the method is selecting it in HUD layout and pressing crtl+home. I shrink pretty much every class gauge down.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

Speaking of Machinist, I wonder if it would be possible to shuffle the DPS roles around a bit for the purpose of role action lists. Instead of forcing both ranged DPS into the same mold, for example, what if they could be more different?

What I'm thinking is, instead of having the roles be "Melee DPS," "Caster DPS," and "Ranged Physical DPS," what if it was instead "Physical DPS," "Caster DPS," and "Support DPS?" Rework a few role skills to fit, of course. For example, if Machinist is supposed to be more about personal DPS and less about support than Bard, put it in the "Physical DPS" role, with actions like Goad, Diversion, Bloodbath, Feint, and Invigorate. (True North and Leg Sweep wouldn't work for them as-is, but I did say that some role actions might need to be reworked.) Maybe move Red Mage into the "Support DPS" category with Bard so it has Refresh, throw in a DPS adjustment if you have to and maybe amp up its other support abilities a bit to compensate. I think if the roles were more about what the job's actual role in the party is and less tied to what kind of weapon they use and what range they stand at, they could do some more interesting things with them.

If I recall the idea of a support role was tossed around sometime after the release of ARR by the development team and eventually discarded.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder if an SMN rework is even remotely possible before 5.0. Probably not, but that'd be interesting to see.

It's possible but it'd require significant resources. There is precedent, remember technically rogue/ninja was introduced in a patch. To a lesser extent warrior got a huge do-over pretty early on too.

That said it'd be a pleasant surprise rather than something I expect to happen.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

UHD posted:

I liked the ARR stuff, even the titan thing :(

I did too, and so did most of the thread when it first came out.

Well, most of it anyway. And back then there was significantly less QoL stuff.

But the game just won't be for some people.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I will absolutely agree that the class changes made in Stormblood have made the lower levels more barren in terms of new tricks. It mostly only affects people going through the story for the first time since there's Palace of the Dead for the rest of your classes, but that should probably get addressed at some point. It doesn't seem like SE put a lot of thought into how the ability cullings would affect still-leveling players (removing Sustain for arcanists is perhaps the biggest proof of this).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Or maybe they don't have to redo all this poo poo because of a few people whining, and instead just look at the skill progression again because it got hosed up by Stormblood and maybe, at most, trim a few of the 2.x quests.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

probably like 1/3rd of new players are going to find the msq anywhere from impossibly daunting to actively unfun. it's probably the most common feedback new players give in this thread.

And yet somehow some millions of people have struggled on? I mean there's a lot of "not-fun" content to get through to get to the "real" stuff if that's really the common newbie perspective on it. I have to believe that most of the players still playing at level 70 must have found something charming in the first dozen or so hours of the game. The alternative, that they played a game they didn't like for that long, is difficult to consider.

Or they paid more money to skip over it.

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that it isn't just skill progression. Even if you had full 70 job skills from level 1 it wouldn't do much to deal with the other problems 2.0 has.

I would probably have fewer problems with the smaller skillset if the dungeons were faster or more interesting, but Tam Tara is going to be awful with level 70 skills. If they reworked the dungeons and even just the main quest pacing I think it would do wonders for making it less tedious.

"Rework skill progression" doesn't mean "give full level 70 skills in Tam-Tara".

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I know it doesn't, that was an intentionally hyperbolic example. AoEs and good skills will make them faster but they're still just genuinely not very interesting dungeons and, more critically, I don't think they do a good job of teaching mechanics the game ends up using. There's plenty of room for beginner dungeons but those beginner dungeons should be teaching skills you'll use later on and a lot of them don't or don't do so very well.

I actually got Tam-Tara last night when doing LLDR as my white mage and I thought it was actually kind of interesting to actually have to use a toolkit consisting only of Medica and Cure to heal a dungeon instead of what I'm used to, which is a barrage of oGCDs and Regen. Now if I got it over and over again for a week straight I might get annoyed, but I don't think new players will experience that.

SonicRulez posted:

I liked Final Fantasy a lot when I bought it. I liked the game when I was level 1. I like it at level 70. My class of preference didn't really feel like it was complete until 54, but I don't really remember hating any part of the game specifically. Some parts were just better than others. This thread circles around to "ARR sucked hard and then when HW released, we all agreed the game was good" every once in a while, but that's just silly to me.

The mere fact that 2.0 didn't even have duty roulette but restored XIV to the good graces of players means it really can't be as bad as is sometimes suggested by this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i actively hated almost all of 2.0-.55. 'a lot of people stomached it, so it can't be that bad' isn't exactly a very compelling argument, either. lots of people do poo poo they don't enjoy. the fact I powered through the msq doesn't mean I found it palatable, it just means i chose that option instead of 'be literally unable to play most of the game'.

I have to believe that most people do not play games they do not like, given that games are entertainment and a game that does not entertain is failing its primary purpose.

But I'm not just taking that into account retroactively, I'm also taking into account the reactions from people (like, say, the posters in the SA thread) during the launch of 2.0, which was generally "hey this is fun" not "this loving sucks why am I playing this".