Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I mean, it's self evidently important for EX primals and raid and just like anything else it gets easier to use as you learn the fight. As for normal old dungeons, you don't really need it but it still helps and I'm kind of pleasantly surprised no healer has ever yelled at me for intentionally running into the random AoE puddles that pop up between pulls in some dungeons.

Also playing the 'Can you keep your stacks during the second coin toss' game is the only thing that makes Yojimbo tolerable as a Monk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Phone posted:

You're going to press Riddle of Fire way more often, but switch to Earth to keep GL3 up when the boss does a big ol' attack.

It's usefulness going forward is kind of a big question right now due to the changes to both Riddle of Wind and Perfect Balance. It's still going to be useful if you can get it to proc, but there isn't going to be nearly much of a penalty if you mess it up going forward since Form Shift x3 + Wind Tackle + Wind Tackle + Snap Punch/Demolish = GL3 if I'm reading the patch notes right.

I read it as one stack from using RoW not a stack from each of the tackles, but I could be wrong. Perfect Balance cooldown time decreased will be the real hero I think.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Shere posted:

The proposed 4.2 rotation is binding one big red button to Fell Cleave and smashing your face into it as often as possible.

And the last finger on the monkey's paw closes.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Weissritter posted:

Was not the whole conversation him trying to get you to start poo poo instead? To derail the prisoner exchange.

My theory on the Asahi scene was he threatened you to make sure you show up in Doma at that specific time and place so Zenos can genocide the gently caress out of ala mhigo while they have your attention with some bullshit.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

It is 4.2 and we still don't have azim steppe chicken dance man emote. This is loving HORSESHIT.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Ff14's morality seems to be very pragmatic and not really take stuff like forgiveness or punishment into account as neither are relevant when doing the calculations as to whether or not you can be of use for the betterment of all in the future. Like that scene with Fordola I think the fact that the old man said she would not be forgiven first but then thanked her for her help instead of thanking her for her help and then saying she would not be forgiven pretty much sums it up. They don't have to forgive her, it's irrelevant to what she can do in the future if she is willing.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Your talking about Ala Mhigan kings though. These are the poor fuckers who got marched off a farm and told to fight for us or we'll kill you and finally turned around and said you'll have to kill us. No one suffered more at their king's hands then they did and they fought and died by the thousands to finally shatter centuries of brutal feudalism only to turn around and get crushed under the heel of imperialism. Like how do you cluck your tongue at the peasants for having a lovely king that they courageously dethroned?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

No, that's us. Seriously though, Gridania is depicted as more of a cult willing to enact the whims of violent destructive entities then Ala Mhigo is.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I think it’s absolutely adorable that Byakko just actually says “Roar” sometimes.

Who’s a tough angry kitty? You are!

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 8, 2018

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

Looking for suggestions on SMN book glamours to aim for

I want the coolest book

I like the Elkliege ARR Pvp book because it’s pink with a deer on it and looks like a 12 year old’s diary except it gets a blood red glow when you pull it out.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I’m not on excal or in a goon FC, but if Howl Jenkins is a goon I must thank him because several days ago I didn’t get thrown off the train after the chimney in O5 normal and I died and my dead body flew next to the train for the rest of the fight and the only thing that got me through this trying time was a man named Howl Jenkins telling me that he loved me.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Female monk cpose is very much a ‘come at me bro’ thing and I love it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

You buy the snakes from the snake tribe vender with snakebux. Those are the good ones.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

If you craft shirogane walls for a small plot can you put an oasis roof on top of it, or is it a set like Chocobo houses?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I have not had a single run of fractal hard where the white/black Sophia mechanic doesn’t cause the person with the opposite color to run for their loving life away from me. Like I get it, Sophia is optional content and you might not know what to do but I am desperately trying to track you down, shadowing your every move, please believe me!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

At least you got some. But honestly Death’s Fingers aren’t too bad of a poor man’s replacement, especially if you have enough slots to stack them up to make the leaves thicker.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Lyse was also pretty profoundly affected by Zenos dying and his explanation for what he had done. She didn’t find any joy in his death even though she hated him most of all and monologues a bit about how even Zenos was once an innocent child like anyone else and he was made into what he was by others, which is a major theme of Stormblood. She recognizes Fordola and Zenos as broken people and not as monsters after that.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think I find it weird mostly because it's a revelation that seems to come from nowhere. Lyse isn't there for Yotsuyu's denouement, and the lesson she learns in Othard is along the lines of revolutions needing leaders and that good sentiments aren't a replacement for sound strategies. How does Lyse know that Zenos wasn't merely just a bad egg? How does she know Fordola isn't really just the kinslayer she makes her out to be?

Because the nightmare demon who terrorized her country was just some mentally hosed up profoundly lonely person who ended up killing himself. She starts asking how this person got that way and states that, yeah, this dude wasn’t born this way, he was made this way by hosed up circumstances, a lesson which she then applies to fordola.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

Again, though: how does she intuit this? Yotsuyu and Fordola at least have the benefit of you poking your nose into their pasts, but Zenos may as well just be a full-blown naturally-born sociopath. If she was there for Yotsuyu's backstory spill or got to talk about it with Alisaie or something, sure, but it seems like a massive leap in logic for someone like Lyse to consider when the story hasn't touched on how the past can turn people into monsters from Lyse's perspective.

Because she was there and saw him with her own eyes talking about how he can’t feel anything and saw him decide to end his own life. She didn’t see a monster, she saw a broken dude. These sorts of things would make anyone question how that person came to be that way.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Vermain posted:

I think this is a matter of differing interpretations of the scene. I took her line of, "There's no justice in that rabid animal's end," as her decrying the fact that he took his own life instead of facing genuine justice before the people, rather than a lamentation of his sorry state.

It’s not lamentation, it’s understanding. Understanding that vengeance doesn’t feel good after the fact and even the worst monsters are still people who were born innocent. You can disagree with my interpretation but she literally applies these exact lessons in all her future dealings with fordola.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Like that Sahagin area used to be a Limsa town but the Sahagin used leviathan to wipe the entire area clean so they could have it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

They should host a one on one pvp tournament of all the players up for bans for using the ungarmax thing. Split it up by role, stream it, and the winners get to keep their accounts. The rest are banned and their parents will receive a call from naoki yoshida himself who will explain the shameful things that they’ve done.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

How about they develop software like wow's warden to catch botters without having to be reported and do this to them instead. They are far more detrimental to the game then a dude in some static I don't even know using a bug to not even kill what he was using it on. But that's too difficult for them(SE) and we give them a pass because?!?!

The fact you can't be caught botting unless reported manually by a player is loving laughable in a game of this size.

How is yoshida-san going to shame a bot’s parents, like whoa you did not think this one through, I don’t even think he speaks binary

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

The monk af1 is secretly the best dress in the game but I prefer the purple cathands

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

None of the 60-70 crafting questlines really stood out to me, but none were really terrible either. I got kind of annoyed with how much endless praise they drop on you. Nearly every quest would have at least 30 seconds of your class buddy lamenting how lovely they are and how perfect you are and oh Jesus god why am I such garbage and why am I allowed to stand in your radiance? Alchemist and culinarian were probably the best, with alchemist being another episode of Eorzean SVU and culinarian you end up adventuring with a good hearted dope who is actually useful and gets to do heroic stuff himself.

HW culinarian is still the crem doo lah crem though and nothing really came close.

*edit* it is nice that a lot of the crafting and gathering quests add something permanent to the world map somewhere and I hope they keep up with that.

ParliamentOfDogs fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Mar 10, 2018

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Uhh it’s this actually:

Bootshine- circle
True strike - x
Demolish- triangle
Dragonkick- right
Twin snake- down
Snap punch- up

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

I also don't use Arm of the Destroyer at all, even on 5+ mob packs because I'm apparently the only one who knows how to AoE as Melee DPS in EX Roulette these days and I save that TP for more Rockbreakers :shepicide:

Eh it’s a judgement call you have to make. If the other dps is half way decent or the tank and healer are savages I find I have plenty of tp to use arm of the destroyer on big packs after the PB rockbreak bonanza.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Tongues are a-wagging about the upcoming t-rex mount, but they are mistaken. At long last we are getting a Dino Rider class, and here’s to hoping it’s a dps.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Bolow posted:

Does anyone else find it weird that the baggage on the T-Rex mount seems to have a shitload of effort put into it. Like far more than the rest of the mount itself

I just got the Chocobo raincoat barding and one of the things that makes it so great is that it has backpack full of blue flowers for some reason. Like your bird has just been picking flowers or something.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My impression of how the scions are handled is that when they were doing ARR they assumed everyone would have played 1.0 and that’s where they were introduced and did cool stuff so they didn’t feel the need to do anything to get you invested in them again and so they focused on the new kid. That’s just what I assume though because I never played 1.0 and it’s the only explanation I can come up with for how badly they were handled. I did see that one cutscene of all of them fighting Gaius and that was pretty cool, so maybe these guys were cool?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Also people can complain about their place in raid all they want, red mage and samurai are fun as gently caress.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I liked the running crew in Stormblood better. Estinien is bit too dour for my tastes so Lyse and Gosetsu were pretty refreshing, and while I love Alphinaud I’ll take Alisaie over him any day of the week.

The real question is would you rather marry hien or aymeric?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Meiteron posted:

Zenos' english VA is, by loving miles, the best voice in the entire cast. Every once in awhile I load up the CS immediately before the royal menagerie so I can listen to him belt out his monologue again and chew the scenery to absolute shreds.

I still think about this dumb meme sometimes and it makes me smile. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yuCib9jVvI

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I didn’t really feel strongly one way or the other about eureka until they indicated they are doing it three more times. Like it’s not content for me, but that’s fine, plenty of people like this sort of thing and not everything in the game needs to be targeted towards me and variety is good and necessary in an mmo and I’m glad people who dig this are getting it and having fun. But three more full loving maps? That’s an insane amount of dev time and resources for this one sliver of the player base. That’s nearly an entire expansion worth of zones dedicated to this. I feel like people who enjoy fishing just got 4 loving zones worth of content. I mean, that’s it, this is the rest of Stormblood, this is the side content for the rest of the expansion. It’s impossible that this doesn’t change the identity of the game and forces people to decide whether it’s for them or not.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe, but side content is important to mmos and they just basically dedicated all of theirs to one specific sliver of the player base. Doing it once is fine, but three more times? Yeah I’d say that changes the identity of the game when they are just going to keep targeting the same demographic with the same type of content over and over for a year.

It’s such a half measure too, the hell grinders who actually love this place are already nearly done with it.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

OgretailFood posted:

I bought this since the S-E sale a while back and i don't know why am i having fun while mindlessly mining ore

Because the numbers are going up, duh

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Anything is fun while chatting with friends. And the game already has maps. Hell, Eureka is like running treasure maps but the mob phase takes 10 minutes on every floor and you can’t do damage if you haven’t run 1000 maps before.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

I love Stormblood zones honestly, especially Ala Mhigo areas, but I definitely prefer that sort of aesthetic. My only real complaint is the left side of the Fringes should have been expanded into most of the zone. The Northern area running down to the river with all the colorful trees gives me such a weird nostalgia vibe because I grew up in an area that looks like that and the spooky swamp area is just plain cool.

The Azim Steppe is cool and I love it, but there’s just something weird about it to me, like it seems like someone is mowing the grass. Most of the area is this emmaculate lawn.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

WrightOfWay posted:

Of the classes I've leveled the only ones who have an interesting AOE rotation all the time are DRK, SAM, BLM and healers. BRD, SMN and WAR are fun enough when their burst is up but pretty boring otherwise and PLD, NIN and RDM are pretty boring all the time.

Monk AoE is pretty fun especially with the PB changes. You now have a burst window where you also get a couple Forbidden Chakras off followed up with the usual jumping in then out positional dancing since their AoE skills are split between cones and circles. I also kind of like how chakra works in AoE because you get so much of it and it’s tied to your tp regen skill but also your single target nuke so you can definitely make the wrong decision there. Also depending on mob health it’s sometimes better to start passing your dot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Thundarr posted:

It seems like a pretty elaborate story to have just been made up out of whole cloth, so I suspect the faction actually exists and either it's not remotely as reformist as he implies or he's claiming to be a part of them in an attempt to appear more friendly.

I think it’s a real movement and those dudes are going to assassinate the Emperor and unwittingly install Ascian/crazy scientist Zenos as ruler which is all sorts of hosed up and will be what makes it necessary for us to infiltrate garlemald next expansion.