Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Like, yeah, the game does actually explain to you in tutorial text how the elemental wheel works. I could forgive you for thinking "am i really supposed to remember which element goes where every time esp. when i'm new?" cause i thought the same and initially even thought weakness/defense was governed by the element opposite on the wheel.

But then i took a closer look at the wheel and it literally has lines connecting every element to the next to show their interplay. Hell, when you target a mob, the element you need to take for defense (with a shield) and the element you need to select for more attack (sword) literally light up in bright colors.

There's a lot wrong with Eureka, but all of what that post described is actually wrong with the player instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I get the "no hand holding" design aspect, but from a gameplay factor it's not all that fun (for me). I don't mind mob grinding every once in a while, but it was discouraging to only get up to level 3 after an hour.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Boten Anna posted:

Heavensward was sad and depressing and everyone did dumb poo poo and died and was entirely too based on Game of Thrones, which sucks rear end and is made by an rear end in a top hat. I liked it overall but I mean the big plot payoff in the end is that they reinvent the worst government ever devised that isnt (outright) fascism whoo yay

Stormblood has some focus issues but Yanxia and the whole plot arc where you help a bunch of hill people (and I have a soft spot for hill people, hill people own) deal with being hosed over and traumatized by imperial forces is bar none the best "middle level" jrpg plot arc ever and I liked that the overall theme was that of liberation and rising up and having hope for the future after having the everloving poo poo kicked out of you. Overall I think it's cool that mostly you as WOL helped a bunch of people secure their own liberation and didn't just spend a bunch of time babysitting Einstinien who is absolutely jonesin to toke up and gently caress everything up AGAIN while blaring Simple Plan and crying about dragons the whole time. The various fantasy cultures and how they interact is way more interesting than "wow ishgard and the elf pope sure are being assholes again while this dragon is too old and wise to give a poo poo about lifting a talon to make everyone's lives not absolutely miserable again god i hate all these ishgard people i dont want to do anything for them." and of course they kill off ysayle because game of throoooooooooones

I have some (major) issues with some of the plot beats in the patch stories so far in Stormblood but they mostly boil down to that I want the plot to go Fullly Automated Luxury Gay Space Communism but of course it never will so whatever.

The real genius of Stormblood anyway is that they have gotten REALLY good at what they do, and there's a lot of small decisions around balancing and how content is designed that shows they actually give a poo poo about the quality of life and the fun things to do in this game, like note how everybody loved to pull the entire dungeon, AOE it, and skip past barriers in unintended ways? Then for a while they just started putting barriers you have to clear mobs with after every goddamned pack and it was tedious? But then in Stormblood they gave everyone good AOE rotations and designed the dungeons so you can do fun big pulls if you want and it's fine and doesn't break the pacing. There's a story told with the mechanics and systems in this game, and it's really good, and they keep making it better. Like this might be the only MMO ever where after it's been around a while there likely won't be a clamoring to return to the "good old days" of X or Y expansion because the game just keeps getting genuinely better, more interesting, and more fun to play with every patch. I have a bit of a soft spot for 2.1 and all what with yelling about tanking dragons in the middle and the first BCoB but I don't really want to go back to the QoL or comparative lack of content in that era, either. Plus it isn't like you never get to see old content anyway, and this game has always been absolutely better for the fact that content is never truly obsolete.

And if you don't dance along to Lakshmi you're a soulless monster :colbert:

edit: also Stormblood features not one but 2 women villains that could absolutely step on me any time no questions asked dont @ me

There's some decent points in here but maaaan the opening sentences are trying way too hard lmao

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
The whole point of Eureka was to not hand-hold the player through it, to make them discover how it works on their own, but who the gently caress cares about dev design intent, because guides spelling out exactly how each step works were plastered all over the internet as early as a week after it launched, and the infographics soon thereafter.

Whatever it is they were trying to pull, it doesn't work anymore because we (the playerbase as a whole) communicate with eachother outside of the game a lot more readily than in the Everquest or FFXIV days. There is no hoarding of information anymore.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Eureka is okay when it's me and my FC mates getting drunk in voice together chasing the train around, buuuuut just about anything is okay when it's you and your buds doing it together and getting drunk, so it's not quite high praise.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Boten Anna posted:

this dragon is too old and wise to give a poo poo about lifting a talon to make everyone's lives not absolutely miserable again god i hate all these ishgard people i dont want to do anything for them." and of course they kill off ysayle because game of throoooooooooones

Oh come on let's be reasonable. The GoT way to kill off Ysayle would have been immediately after she learns that everything she believes is bullshit and some random no-name Ishgardian stabs her in the head at the height of her despair. Instead she got to choose to go out like a badass.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The whole point of Eureka was to not hand-hold the player through it, to make them discover how it works on their own, but who the gently caress cares about dev design intent, because guides spelling out exactly how each step works were plastered all over the internet as early as a week after it launched, and the infographics soon thereafter.

Whatever it is they were trying to pull, it doesn't work anymore because we (the playerbase as a whole) communicate with eachother outside of the game a lot more readily than in the Everquest or FFXIV days. There is no hoarding of information anymore.

Community content in game has gone the wayside of permanently miss able content in games, made completely obsolete with the existence of data miners and the internet.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

a medical mystery posted:

The only good part in the Ravana themes is when the intro to the second comes in like Duel of the Fates right when he's swinging his glowing red antsaber around

All of the parts of Ravana's themes are good, unlike Lakshmi's.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
What’s the fastest way to grind poe? I’ve been slacking on buying unidentified poo poo for my HW relic and now I’m at that stage and regret it

I guess I can just take like a month and naturally get enough to buy all I need, but it’s not gonna be fun

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The main flaw with Lakshmi is that there's no party dance sequence to go with the Bollywood music. The fight is just mechanically boring but that's not the fault of Her Wicked Wiles (which is a cool and good song).

On the other hand you *have* to perform the dance of ringing steel when fighting Ravana at level or he'll bounce you off the stage. Good thing that Unbending Steel is also good music to perform to!

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

We got a mini schmup in the middle of a primal, now we need a mini DDR in the middle of a primal. Hell, you can just take the emote dancing GATE and throw it in there.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Lakshmi's theme is okay but I was expecting it to get AMAZING after the phase change and instead it just stayed the same. I've been spoiled by Shiva and Sephirot, I guess.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Thumbtacks posted:

What’s the fastest way to grind poe? I’ve been slacking on buying unidentified poo poo for my HW relic and now I’m at that stage and regret it

I guess I can just take like a month and naturally get enough to buy all I need, but it’s not gonna be fun

You can also get unidentified items from the ARR beast tribes which is really easy and fast these days, instead you should be spending all your poetics on buying Umbrite because you literally need to buy like 12k poetics worth.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I finally got around to doing the level 50 DRK quest and it was very good. Highly recommend leveling the class.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

jalapeno_dude posted:

Lakshmi's theme is okay but I was expecting it to get AMAZING after the phase change and instead it just stayed the same. I've been spoiled by Shiva and Sephirot, I guess.

The edge is calling tonight! :black101:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The edge is calling tonight! :black101:

AND THEN SHE LEAVES YOU TO DIE!

Sephirot is the only primal who's philosophy was interesting enough that I'd kill to get to know more about the society that invented him as their god. And all of his idea was told in the dumbest buttrock possible.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Lakshmi's better than Ravana.

Waltzes are stupid and slow and boring and the music syncing is getting more and more outdated as they keep doing it and doing it better.

Jesus Christ

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also lol at the person last page who said SB gave everyone fun aoe. RDM has like the most boring aoe I've seen since rogues spamming fan of knives in WoW

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
idk man it's consistent with the rest of the class atleast.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Of the classes I've leveled the only ones who have an interesting AOE rotation all the time are DRK, SAM, BLM and healers. BRD, SMN and WAR are fun enough when their burst is up but pretty boring otherwise and PLD, NIN and RDM are pretty boring all the time.

OtherworldlyInvader
Feb 10, 2005

The X-COM project did not deliver the universe's ultimate cup of coffee. You have failed to save the Earth.

yeah, they wouldn't let me bring my skinny caramel macchiato in here

I finally discovered /gpose... still haven't cleared Stormblood, but I've finally made it to the endgame!! :pcgaming:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah, gpose is fun.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, gpose is fun.

:eyepop: daaamn

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Countblanc posted:

Also lol at the person last page who said SB gave everyone fun aoe. RDM has like the most boring aoe I've seen since rogues spamming fan of knives in WoW

RDM is in desperate need of Verblizzard and Verwater aoes so it can do Scatter > Blizz > Scatter > Water to at least make it not Scatter x Infinity on 4+ targets.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
/gpose?

balmung quicksand, 3 AM

WrightOfWay posted:

Of the classes I've leveled the only ones who have an interesting AOE rotation all the time are DRK, SAM, BLM and healers. BRD, SMN and WAR are fun enough when their burst is up but pretty boring otherwise and PLD, NIN and RDM are pretty boring all the time.

SMN is probably the only AOE rotation that has any depth to it, and that's mostly from trying to figure out the merits of DoTs+Bane vs. another Painflare. That said, Deathflare/Akh Morn makes big numbers show up so it's okay.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Axle_Stukov posted:

RDM is in desperate need of Verblizzard and Verwater aoes so it can do Scatter > Blizz > Scatter > Water to at least make it not Scatter x Infinity on 4+ targets.

Well it's Scatter x Infinity until you can throw some Moulinets in but it's still at best a two attack AoE moveset.

The five Moulinet combo feels great when you get the opportunity to use it though.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I showed 4 outfits to Masked Rose and he gave me 52 points for all of them. All 4 outfits, exactly 52 points each.

I'd have assumed that 52 is his "well, at least you wore SOMETHING in every slot i guess" general judgement, but one of the outfits did actually wear the Ultima necklace he was asking for! Still exactly 52 points! What the heck, dude.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

WrightOfWay posted:

Monk AoE is pretty fun especially with the PB changes. You now have a burst window where you also get a couple Forbidden Chakras off followed up with the usual jumping in then out positional dancing since their AoE skills are split between cones and circles. I also kind of like how chakra works in AoE because you get so much of it and it’s tied to your tp regen skill but also your single target nuke so you can definitely make the wrong decision there. Also depending on mob health it’s sometimes better to start passing your dot.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Thundarr posted:

Well it's Scatter x Infinity until you can throw some Moulinets in but it's still at best a two attack AoE moveset.

Meanwhile, this isn't a problem for WHM, who's AoE moveset is Aero 3 and Holy.

Clearly Scatter needs to be bigger in all aspects.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Yeah, gpose is fun.

Are those glyphs on your sword part of the model or the animation? Either way, what weapon/ability is it?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

vOv posted:

Are those glyphs on your sword part of the model or the animation? Either way, what weapon/ability is it?

Looks like Caladbolg Anemos. The ability is definitely Blood Weapon and it's always done that.

Makes me wish I had taken some screenshots when chaining Bloodbath and Blood Weapon together, because then I'd hold up the sword while the glyphs were still there and it looked almost as metal as that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

EponymousMrYar posted:

Looks like Caladbolg Anemos. The ability is definitely Blood Weapon and it's always done that.

Makes me wish I had taken some screenshots when chaining Bloodbath and Blood Weapon together, because then I'd hold up the sword while the glyphs were still there and it looked almost as metal as that.

Huh, I have DRK at 62 and I guess I never looked too closely at it.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Healers mostly just spam one button but minimizing the number of healing GCDs adds depth to an otherwise simple rotation.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Holy is in all ways better than Scatter though so whm AoE never really feels as boring as rdm does before their mana bars fill up.

E: plus having to ask "do I need to heal in the next gcd or can I Holy" is more interesting gameplay than "Scatter until 3 or fewer targets"

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Mar 30, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Tried to do A8S with a PF party.

Three hours later, everyone is still dying to the same mechanics.

I guess I'm never going to clear this. :smith:

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

What role actions should I be taking as RDM? I've been taking swiftcast, diversion, lucid dreaming and mana shift but I'm not sure what I should pick for the last slot.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Traxis posted:

What role actions should I be taking as RDM? I've been taking swiftcast, diversion, lucid dreaming and mana shift but I'm not sure what I should pick for the last slot.

Addle is my default but Surecast isn't awful

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

EponymousMrYar posted:

Blood Weapon, yeah.

I have the Caladbolg, but I've been using this one:

since I never went past the Sharpened stage, so couldn't get a duplicate for the glamour toilet. :v:

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Tried to do A8S with a PF party.

Three hours later, everyone is still dying to the same mechanics.

I guess I'm never going to clear this. :smith:

A8S is absurdly difficult, and in fact it may be easier synced than unsynced. I'm not sure but given all the instant death it has...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Eopia posted:

A8S is absurdly difficult, and in fact it may be easier synced than unsynced. I'm not sure but given all the instant death it has...

You almost have to admire just how much of an extra mile they want to punish you for Savage modes, or the default bahamut coils. Mess up a mechanic? Get hit for 90k damage. That was for level 50 content at what, i80 as the item level? Here we are at level 70 with item levels in the 360 and I still don't think we are at that level. Maybe a War can with thrill of battle?

Then you go into the Alex Savage raids and they're hitting you for like 250k damage....

Its just an absurd amount is what I'm getting at.