Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Shouting "Ixion is up" just before zoning into a dungeon has become my favourite past time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So I've decided to try leveling my healers and tanks through actual dungeons instead of spamming POTD/PVP, and I chose AST as my first after getting it to 50 pretty much exclusively through POTD. Can someone explain to me when I should be using royal road and spread like I'm a dumb baby?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dunno if this was linked in here already, but apparently prices of the game/sub through Steam got tripled for some countries like Brazil and Russia to give them parity with the rest of the world because of exchange rates and whatnot, and naturally those people affected are angry. I'm enjoying the debacle because from my experience people from Brazil and Russia tend to make any games they play unbearable, but I'm curious what sort of PR hit if any this will have for SE.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/337882-Steam-payment-HUGE-price-increase%21

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

I kind of want to start doing Omega normal but I looked at the PF last night and I had no idea what I was looking at and all the duties were "Locked Duty" for some reason so :v:

I assume I'll need to do all four in order before I can start running individual ones, right? Do people run O1 normal still so that asking in FC chat might realistically help me put a group together? I really have no idea how raiding works in FFXIV since this is the first time I've waded in.

Just queue for them in the DF? They're easy and fun.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Catering to the 5% of people who do progression raiding when it's new is stupid.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear SE, we arent all no life neckbeard basement dwellers

So stop with the forced multiplayer dungeons already!
Make them solo for MSQ and then have them be raid-hard for repeating. In queue for over 20 minutes now. Not every one has time to waste like this.
Dont say play a tank or healer either. That is not a solution and beyond stupid to say because then we'd all be tanks and healers and no other jobs. And you dont always have 8 people in an fc willing to run dungeons. This is an unacceptable design idea from SE.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
1-50 isn't that bad and people complaining about it during their first runthrough are whiny pissbabies.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
::Spoiler Warning - Spoilers Everywhere::

I'm really not sure if there's another thread like this, but I kind of want to rant/leave a statement; here's the context:

Today my attention was brought to an article where someone who owned stock in Square Enix left a message on twitter saying:

"First thing in the morning tomorrow, I intend to instruct those who manage my precious Square Enix stock (however little it may be) to arrange to sell all of it. To Square, thank you for the enjoyment of your products up until now, with the exception of this last one. Goodbye."

Apparently he was referring to 1.0, and that stock turned out to be worth 26 million (or so the article says). This got me thinking: Why would anyone's faith in a functioning company shatter so completely that they would sell it all? And then I remember how much I complained about the Stormblood (SB) story, the NA server move, and the DDOS attacks, and... well... I think I understand why someone might be that upset, though probably in a different way.

I have over 2000 hours into this game and hundreds of dollars invested into my subscription... and I stretched my finances to do it (all worth it). I loved both A Realm Reborn (ARR) and Heavensward (HW): it was all so grand and fun, and the end game was challenging too. But then SB comes out and I was pumped that this was going to be the next epic chapter... except it wasn't. In fact, I often ranted in the FC chat about it (sorry everyone, you all deserved better than that).

So what happened? Why do I feel so melancholy about it? And why do I feel so disconnected from my favorite game of all time? I barely want to play it anymore, I mostly log on just to keep my grind going in case I find that spark again. My FC is on discord so if I want to communicate with them I don't even need to log into the game.

Well, I think it ultimately boils down to this: The story just sucked this time. I'm not saying there weren't good or great moments, but for the most part I've read fan fiction far above the SB story in terms of quality and content. In fact, the fact that I regularly read fan fiction is probably the reason I'm still playing this game. I've built a thick skin for poor quality content. But that's free, I pay money for FFXIV, so I just don't understand.

My annoyances can best be summed up like this: ARR was an amazing hero origin story with plenty of that "I came here to adventure" feel. The writing was stellar and you genuinely felt like you were this regular person who got caught up in things and discovered you were more than that. Working hard to do the right thing and exploring the continent as you went from place to place. The feeling was that and more, and it felt genuine. HW had you interact with a nation engaged in a massive war going on for over a thousand years and that war felt just as massive as it was told in the story. Everything felt huge and you felt like an experienced adventurer who just started to get a hang of the weight behind their fame and capabilities. You worked hard and made a big difference; and it felt like you made the difference as only a hero could. The epic war felt epic.

Then comes SB... and a large-scale war spanning the world being fought on two fronts somehow feels tiny. By the end of it I felt like I helped two small tribes and interacted with a third small tribe that was divided. What happened?

The first thing to rage about was being asked by Alphinaud what you thought on the Ala Mhigan rebellion. I was given three VAGUE options. I picked the one I thought was most in character with how I had answered questions in HW and ARR. And guess what? I get a 'sorry you feel that way' response. Not only did the response not fit any of the answers, I had now chosen a response that felt like I was playing Fallout 4. I didn't mean to say anything that implied what that response implied I said. The other times you choose words to say would mostly follow in that Fallout 4 'But I didn't want to say that!' feeling.

Then facing Xenos for the first time. He takes you down without effort and one of the characters states how useless everything you went through before is. Your esteemed allies and practiced soldiers just lose to everyone, even the foot soldiers of Garlemald. Seriously, what's the deal? You're trying to reset the novice feel? Why? Why on earth would ANYONE do that in that way, after building us up that much, now we're nothing but helpless to ONE PERSON who is HUMAN and equipped in armor that isn't that different form people we've already defeated? That was the moment where I felt further from this game than I ever have. And quite frankly, it broke my suspension of disbelief. Everything that happened afterward failed to connect with me because I was constantly thinking, "The devs want it this way, it's gonna happen this way."

Rhalgar's Reach, after 20 years of not being spotted, magically gets attacked. There is no reason for this. None. There was specific interest in quelling these rebels yet none of Xenos' men had located it despite trying. So tell me, how did they know? And don't give me that 'Fordola knew where it was' excuse. If she was blind enough to support the empire then she would have outed them years ago with the zeal she has. This is a plot hole, and it's the ONLY REASON we decide to head for Doma.

The next disappointment is the Ruby Sea. Look, the underwater parts were amazing, but it felt smaller in scope than Sastasha. To be specific, the location of the entrance to the Ruby Toll was so close to Doma that an entire sea was shrunk down to the size of a river. It felt like a river. Not a sea, a river. I just don't understand. Why did the map have to include the shore to the mainland? It would have felt so much bigger if the Ruby Sea was treated like the various maps in the Sea of Clouds: One section of many others. A new second map wasn't needed, just the illusion that the part where map was was only a small section of a larger archipelago in the middle of the sea. Have an ocean view instead of the Doma shore.

Now, until this point, a lot of my complaints could be a result of the development process not being completely in sync. However, Yotsuyu is completely on the writers. She had a legitimate reason to betray Doma, it's how she - an abused and tossed away girl - could make money and scrape out a living that was more dignified than that of a whore. She also developed a sadistic side. But no, the entire focus of her story was how all Domans deserved death and she spoke to her subordinates like she knew we were listening. That's meta (acting upon knowledge the character shouldn't have) and a poor excuse for giving her an air of mystery. I actually thought that she was born in Garlemald for how distant she seemed from "her people".

And what about Yugiri tossing all her patience to move the plot forward? She has never been that excited about anything, not even finding her master. But suddenly throws all caution to the wind for the sake of plot when it comes to attacking Xenos. I can't help but feel that 'standing up to Xenos' scene could have been accomplished more effectively (and believably) by chasing that young kid in the orange attire after hearing that he is attempting an assassination of his own.

Then we free the nation of Doma... but it really doesn't feel like it. The map is still just as quiet as when we got there. Anyway, back to Eorzea.

Where I genuinely don't care for the story anymore and just want to get it over with. My suspension of disbelief is gone, I'm expecting a disappointing conclusion, and just want to get to the EX trials.

The conclusion was actually fantastic, except everything that led up to it was less than the outcome. I wasn't fighting Xenos in the end, I was fighting a primal. So all that build up and hype, and now the final villain needs a boost to keep up with us? When did we get so strong? I can't tell because we didn't actually fight a ton of big monsters beforehand. We fought enemies that everyone knew we were better than and only pushed our capabilities twice before that. 2+2 suddenly equaled 103 and I missed how we got there. When did we add 99 to that?

And now it goes back to my initial issue. Remember that dialogue choice I talked about? I gave the vague answer that most sounded like: "What about the ascians? I'll fight in this war while nothing else comes up but we really should be putting effort into finding them. This may be a good cause, but we ultimately have bigger issues." This game lost sight of the original plot and tacked on a conversation with one ascian at the end. What happened to all the primals they were summoning to make things hard for us all throughout ARR and HW? Why is the entire base story of an official expansion I paid extra for nothing more than a sub-plot? The ascians literally did NOTHING but wait for the Emperor's scheme to take place in a success via failure conclusion.

The DDOS attacks can't be helped, there are jerks out there who do that stuff. But the server move has screwed up my ability to raid. I've given up many nights of raiding because lag (that was never an issue before the move) was getting me killed over and over. When there's that much space between you and the AOE circle on the ground (3 character steps away), and you still get killed, that's lag.

Anyway, between lag and a story that felt so poorly executed and written, I just don't really care that much anymore. Once my 6 months runs out I won't stretch my income to make the next payment, so this is my "x weeks notice" in a sense. [Congratulations!] I no longer feel any connection to what was my favorite game of all time.

There, rant over. I can finally let this go.

The time I spent before 4.0 was wonderful and I stand behind every dollar I paid, however it's just not worth it for the next round. Goodbye FFXIV, it was amazing while it lasted. Who knows, maybe 5.0 will be better?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Someone in my FC on Balmung has been typing paragraphs about how they headcanon immigration and citizenship laws in Eorzea.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
What happened to this game? seriously?.

I expected that SB would bring SOMETHING DIFFERENT for END game but no, its just like ARR/HS.

-Daily Trial (The only fun one)
-Expert (Same two dungeons over and over and over and over every single day)
-Log off.

And the most important thing that really made me QUIT like 1 month ago after reaching level 70 full 310.

Why there are so many BAD PLAYERS everywhere? I haven't touch the game in 9 days because m y last experience was terrible;

>Go expert as a FULL I 310 DRK
>Wipe / Wipe / Wipe / Wipe / Wipe
>Leave and eat the 30 minutes penalization.
>Go trial and TITAN hard appears
>Wipe / Wipe / Wipe / Wipe NO BONUS PEOPPLE I mean c'mon?
>ALT +F4 and don't touch the game until now, 9 days later

Hey I remember that I still paying the subscription ;

>Log in and go Trial
>Susano appears
>can't even pass half of his HP because DPS/healers dies on every single step
>Wipe 3 times in a row

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So after literally weeks since the launch of SB, I have been keeping track on the amount of average viewers that have been tuning in to watch players on Twitch. When SB first launched, there was a average of over 7-8k viewers at any given time throughout the first 4 weeks. Now if you go to twitch during peak hours....less that 2k are there. That is literally a decrease of 75% Twitch viewers of FF14 in less than 5 weeks! Do you want to know why?

Since SE decided to basically recycle content for a 3rd time in it's MMOs history, players are starting to learn that for weeks after a patch drops or expansion drops that once they have achieved the required gear to enter Savage Raid or any new content....such content will practically become repetition for weeks of the same old boring 2 dungeons(in 4.1 we are getting only 1 new dungeon), the same boring 4 bosses over and over again in Savage, and the same old EX Primals to earn gear that will become irrelevant/obsolete in 3 months. This is what people consider fun?

If you do even a basic comparison of other MMOs on the market today, they all have built in mechanisms at the very start of a expansion to sustain its player base for a great period of time since its launch. When Blizzard launched Legion, players for weeks never once complained of having nothing to do.....but actually the polar opposite...people were actually complaining of having to much to do and THAT IS HOW MMOs ARE SUPPOSE TO BE DESIGNED! Even other MMOs that are not sub based have similar systems....look at Black Desert Online and the ever constant level grind to no end, or how about even a game like Diablo 3! Diablo 3 is incredibly repetitive...but they added in paragon levels to give players within such a game something to do even if it was throttled back! FF14 doesn't!

Now my biggest question is this....why couldn't SE have released our Relics in 4.0 or some other slow growth mechanic and created a huge grind fest like they have done before making us run content at our level or slightly below(I am not talking about the Idiocy that was the Atma grind making max level players do content like they just joined the game sometimes being 30 levels lower than what they were while only spamming only one button) to keep us having some form of growth of our characters even if it was really slow paced? Growth and progress is still growth and progress! That is what keeps players playing....not some artificial roadblock you place every week to force players to keep playing....but actual growth mechanics even if at a snails speed to keep people wanting to play by choice to continue such growth! I hope someone from SE passes on my opinion.....

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
How are they fixing SMN and MCH?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I want them to remove that from PVP

:getout:

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Stop telling people to go learn their class in POTD.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Roe women still ugliest women.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

It's probably because I associate it with growing up, but I still think XI had a better and catchier soundtrack than XIV. Not to say XIV's is bad by any means, but the zone and town (and even PlayOnline) music from XI is stuff I'll still find myself humming occasionally while with XIV I really only love a few of the trial or dungeon themes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Pretty much any of the zone themes from XI put anything in XIV to shame. Ronfaure, Gustaberg, Sarutabaruta and their past versions come to mind.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

So I found this a while back: https://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XI-Music-Vanadiel/dp/B000A3H71M/

So far nothing I've heard in FFXIV even comes close to their rendition of the Jeuno theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUv7AzlvByU

The Christmas event version always stood out to me, as well as the summer festival theme with the shamisen. Way better than Papaya.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FF12 is good but saying FFT is the "bad" Ivalice? Lol. It's the best entry in the series.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Did someone post about the Hunt guides earlier? I couldn't find it.

Also I just got to the point in Heavensward where Best Elf died.

:cry:

Urianger is still alive though??

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
That armor that won the contest looks like Azure Kite's outfit from .Hack.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Anything is better than Roegadyn women.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Who do I whisper on Excal to get an invite to one of the goon FCs?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Slap Emote
Is it really necessary to have this emote?
"...slaped...in the face"
Everytime I see that I get wrathful. I know it's just a game, but behind every Char is a real person, and i don't want to be a witness of this mindless Violence.
And from what i have seen, there are almost only male chars who are beating female chars.
You have changed the crouch emote for female miqo'te for a good reason (too sexual), so please, remove the slap emote because of unnecessary violence against female chars.
Thank you

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The upcoming WAR nerfs have brought out the usual boilerplate from the peanut galleries;

"Tanks aren't supposed to deal damage! You want to deal damage, be a DPS!"
"Ever think about, I dunno, maybe staying in tank stance?"
"The problem is with the [insert community here]'s obsession with fast killing and efficiency, and this is the devs trying to counter that!"

Bullsh*t. All of it.

Here's the truth; this game is made, by the devs, to encourage as much dps as possible. This is largely as a result of enrage timers and other dps checks. If you don't meet the dps check, you wipe, simple as that. And since we're not all uber gosu top .2% players of our classes, it means everyone has to pull their weight and a bit more. Every GCD not spent optimizing damage is a GCD that could mean Exdeath Meteor's your group instead of transitioning to Neo. So I say, let's get rid of enrage timers.

Why do we even have them any more? Every single encounter in this game is already gated behind either a player level or an item level. Barring certain exceptional circumstances, if you don't have the ilvl or character level to enter a certain duty, then you just can't enter it. So if a person has the ability to enter an duty, why further restrict their ability to complete said duty by imposing another arbitrary hurdle to overcome? SE apparently doesn't want people using DPS meters because reasons, yet they build encounters in a game that implicitly encourage the kind of behavior they say they are against. Fine. Do you want to stop this kind of stuff SE? Then stop it with the enrage timers.

Think about it. How great would it be for a close-knit group of average players, none of them top tier at their class, but all of them competent, to marathon their way through an encounter together. Maybe it takes them 60 minutes of straight fighting to clear OS4, but if they can do the mechanics then why impose the arbitrary hurdle of an enrage timer? By removing enrage timers, you can let tanks tank, healers heal, and dps can dps. The people who want to crush things ASAP with the best efficiency possible can still do so. That side of the game isn't changed. But for people who don't want to (or can't) do that, it would be another path to success that doesn't focus on insane dps optimization. Which, ostensibly, is what SE is trying to avoid.

Remove the enrage timers and you remove a large part of the impetus behind everyone trying to push out as much dps as possible. Right now, there is no choice; you either dps hard enough to avoid enrage/clear the check or you wipe. If SE is serious about not wanting the dps speed/efficiency meta to reign supreme, then they need to remove dps checks and enrage timers and let players choose whether they want to run a sprint or a marathon.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
PSA: Macro Sound Effects Harm People with Sensory Issues

Full Disclosure: I am a disabled adult with PTSD, Anxiety, and Depression. I am also suspected of having Asperger's Syndrome, which is high-functioning on the Autistic Spectrum. I have experienced this first hand. I have also been harassed because I have dared to bring attention to this within the game.

If you have sensory issues, high pitched and attention seeking sounds such as the macro sound effects can cause panic, headaches, migraines, and emotional outbursts. I have many of my sounds turned down to less than 10%. I love Final Fantasy's music, voice acting, and many aspects of the game. But the macro sound effects, though a useful tool for some, are making me consider quitting the game. Because when I get a migraine, it comes with the full pain: aura, nausea, severe pain in on one side of brain, panic, and overall an inability to properly function, much less play and enjoy a game. Macro Sound effects are the only sounds in this game I hate and despise.

You may ask, well why not ask them not to use the sound effect? Well people put them into their skill macros for raise, healing, protect, and other sort of necessary skills. It literally cannot be avoided, and once people are in a dungeon, despite knowing they are causing someone intense pain, they'd rather not take 5 seconds to edit their macro and remove the sound effect. Or, because people are rude and think it is fun to troll people with sensory issues, will spam it even more just because I dared to even ask them not to use them.

Square Enix, I implore you to allow a check box to eliminate macro sound effects. You have given special attention to those with color blindness and edited some of the new huds specially for them. Please, as a request from someone who otherwise adores your game and has spent a ton supporting this game, either remove macro sound effects entirely, or give us an OPTION CHECK BOX to remove them. I have even muted the tell sound effect.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Has anyone ever heard of SE banning/warning people for afking in PVP?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/f4acfd71a5a9a3b2a8852436b2408e1ace628e3f

Anyone have any idea if this means constantly locked servers like Balmung will be open to new character creation, or just that we can once again transfer to them from other servers?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Almost certainly it means just open to transfer. Busy but not locked servers like Mateus are still locked down for character creation.

Yeah, I figured. Was debating whether or not I should stop playing my new Mateus alt before I get too far and remake him on Balmung, then I got to thinking and figured it wouldn't be that easy. Thanks.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So is POTD still the best way to level alt classes?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Saint Freak posted:

If you've already run all your roulettes and your tribes and your hunts and you're not a healer or tank or summoner and don't have squadrons

Squadron dungeon runs are faster?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Early on Squadrons are now. I think there's some brief period between 50-60 where PotD reemerges but then once you hit 61 it's SB dungeons or bust.

Good to know! Unrelated, but how many people are needed to get through Binding Coil normal these days?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

ruta posted:

I hate the female dragoon pose, and the 50 job set is also a slap in the face with that dumb tummy window.

That poo poo eating grin when in the idle pose really ticks me off though. Same to how the victory pose for girls has your character hold her thighs together like her biggest concern while jumping is you might see her panties.

I'd trade the drk pose to get all the guy drg stuff any day.

Actually all those things are good.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Schneider Heim posted:

What exactly can you do in a house? Is it like an inn room, but better?

Erotic Role Play

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Dang, GMs are on point lately. I've reported a bunch of PVP afkers and where they used to take days to reply I now hear back in under an hour.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I just got called an idiot for telling some dude who insisted we were all noobs for not stacking on the edge of the arena during Thodan normal during the Light of Ascalon part instead of pushing towards the middle. Was he right? Were we all doing it wrong? I mostly just like to be in the middle to get a better view of the animations, but I'm pretty sure being on the edge of the arena has no benefit. (Yes I know it's faceroll easy but it still ruffled my feathers, and I've never heard of that 'strategy' before).

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So does nobody queue for Astragalos anymore? It always says 30 minutes.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So how do the main story dungeons work now since they changed them? Besides nobody queuing for the story roulette anymore. I've got a friend approaching those wquests and I'd like them to have the best experience possible since those dungeons are pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I literally just downloaded the free trial of FF14 yesterday....only to be welcomed by a 24 hour patch (2am-2am PST). Logged in this am around 6amCT and realm was going down for 2 hr maintenance. Not a good way to be introduced to the game, I dealt with all of that jazz back in 04 with WoW.

The 15 minutes that I was able to play the game though was just...idk. It felt like more of a single player RPG on a console. It is pretty, I will give it that but jeeze louise, every NPC wants to yack and yack at you with these long winded conversations. I am hoping it lightens up as I progress though since I am a new toon.

Also, there is a such thing as too much customization. Sliders for everything, voice options, 100+ hair colors, yea...that's neurotic, sorry. Also, its like hyper Asian. So you are going to look like an anime toon or a really creepy child. Also, it has to you pick a birthdate - from a calendar with a lunar phase; and some "Divine God Thing" you follow...why? Why is that even a thing? Why the bloat just to roll a toon? Literally all that should matter is race and class. The rest is just noise to a new player.

I mean, I am going to keep playing it at least until 35 mostly just to see what all this is about but from first impression it seems that all the FF14 people came over to WoW and told Blizzard to "slow it down" because that game feels...bloated and sluggish right out of the trial.