Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I am... unreasonably upset about the changes to Warrior.

GIVE ME BACK MY LEECH TANKING.

(Still gonna play it as my Tank class.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OWLS! posted:

I am... unreasonably upset about the changes to Warrior.

GIVE ME BACK MY LEECH TANKING.

Oh wait I'm dumb, it's still there. Just no more bloodbath.

Bloodbath, no!

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hit 70 before the dutyfinder died again, glamoured my sefious healer outfit over the decidedly meh artifact gear. Hooray.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Libertine posted:

is there like a "everything you need to play" version of the game, or do I need to buy all of the previous content separately? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a complete edition of the game that includes the two major expansions, including the one that just came out, and the OG game. It's up at the Squenix online store for 60bucks, and probably available on steam or something.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

victrix posted:

Worth it if you love doing group content imo, plus friendly group chatter.

Is it though? Ever since cross-server group finder became a thing.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

victrix posted:

Goons helped me burn through the entirety of 2.x, HW, and 3.x in the ~3 weeks leading up to SB, not to mention a heroic goon effort to gear people up at 60 to blast through 3.x.

I meant as more of a "Goon cross-server DFs are possible if you have IRL friends on another server" rather than "Don't play with goons" :shobon:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
smoke the bole heal whatever

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 20, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There are enough poo poo people out there that I've run into them.

Lol at the anti-healer conspiracy though.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
RDMs hopping off of Titan HM's platform and then saying "I was only casting" is my new favorite thing ever.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Now that I've had a chance to actually play SCH at 70 for a bit - massive fan of the changes. Got really boring in HW to be able to cakewalk through everything and just DPS.

Fairy tether lets me basically go "Hold my beer while I do X and not give a poo poo about your damage for nearly a minute, tank".

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Verranicus posted:

So did the maintenance actually change anything or are servers likely to go to poo poo again tonight?

It's almost like maintenance is usually done to fix things.

e: Unless you're asking whether the servers are likely to get DDOSed again?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Just cleared the second EX primal last night via a bizarrely competent learning party.
I was one of the two scholars healing it.
Nerds freaking out about Scholar being dead are so wrong, so very very very VERY wrong.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

orcane posted:

You can make them three times overpowered in bare numbers but I still won't like playing SB SCH (same for SMN), this argument is dumb.

Criticism is not invalid because "numbers are good" and "you can beat content with it".

IDK, maybe I'm a broken human being, but Heavensward SCH was an overpowered piece of poo poo. Stormblood scholar reminds me much more of ARR scholar, so I'm glad they took this direction with the class.

Bring back virus tho.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

brainwrinkle posted:

Spamming Broil 2 is Good and Correct For The Meta, and we should all slobber over SE's metaphorical dick for these amazing SCH gameplay enhancements

Enjoy your mana issues. Also is Broil 2 the new fracture?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Countblanc posted:

They still clear but it's slower and less fun.

Are we back to the old MUH FUN PER HOUR bullshit? (or was it duties per hour? I don't remember.)

I mean, if you're brayfloxing dungeons, sure, maybe, but here's a reminder - back when ilvl90 and Brafylox HM runs were a thing - you didn't really have time to DPS as a healer, you literally just pressed ALL OF THE HEALING BUTTONS so that your tank would not die. The DPS as a healer meme during mass dungeon pulls in EX dungeons only came when you were out-ilvl-ing everything anyway.

These days I can throw out a shadowflare, and if I get precasting right I can Dot-instaDot-Bane Right as Excog trips and I actually have to start pushing the healing buttons, and I haven't out-ilvled content, so hey, I'll take that improvement.

Here's another unpopular opinion: Nerf Red Mage. :smug:

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 26, 2017

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

A WHM outdamages all that by pressing aero3 and assize.

Can't outdamage something if you do no damage :chord:

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fister Roboto posted:

This isn't even remotely true, a good Brayflox run required a lot of Holy spam. Ironically, scholars weren't quite as good as white mages for that either because they didn't have an AOE stun and Bane only hit five targets.

When I did that - I remember Holy only starting to get woven in after people geared up a bit, it wasn't really there at the beginning. But hey, anecdotes.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you sick gently caress

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got it.

Blue mage is just the dedicated healer version of Red Mage.

Same dualcast procs except on all the heals, same swish swoosh with a sword, and blue flavored outfits instead of red.

Alternatively, just loving do chemist. I want to throw things at people to heal them.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Gumball Gumption posted:

None of my friends who pine for classic WoW ever talk about the game, they miss their guild, the people, ect.

It's like certain people (myself included) pining for the old days of fun mid-rate RO private servers.

The game was lovely, but the community was fun. (Also it was my first proper MMO, first guild, etc, etc.)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bring back healer LB3 for bard.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Omega is certainly a return to form after Alex.

Feels good to be back on the current content train after second coil and A1.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trasson posted:

How to do big pulls...
First of all, If Eos isn't on Obey, if you're using Eos, fix that stop.

How to do big pulls, while using Selene, and be a general pro mode.

1. Have your six lustrates ready to go.
2. Eye for an eye is your friend, why aren't you using it?
3. Swiftcasting out a physic is a legitimate thing to do.
3.5. Shadow Flare is the lazy SCH's dps.
4. I'm too :effort: to actually eat my fairy, but if you aren't, hey 9 lustrates.
5. By the time you burn through your lustrates your fairy should be able to keep up while you apply your dps.
6. Have a tank that actually hits their cooldowns.
7. If you want to be pro, Excog+EFE right as the damage starts hitting, so you have a GCD or two to put down your dots and maybe bane.
8. If you want to go full silly, burn an aetherflow stack for Sacred Soil.

If you have to use Eos for any dungeon big pulls, there's a serious problem with the DPS, your tank, or you.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
DPS queues and wanting to occasionally sub out and actually smack things are why I initially switched from white mage to scholar.

Free summoners are the best.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

khy posted:

My question is, how is Bard in stormblood?

Bards say it's fun.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
If as a healer you aren't telling your tank "Pull until you find a door" then I just don't know what to say.

(Three pulling Castrum Abania and Ala Mhigo is fun, ok?)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

Piling bardam's to the first boss however is just annoying.

Depends, do you have some healer food, eye for and eye up, 9 lustrates ready to go, and selene hanging out?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Throne of Bhalz posted:

Anyone have a current guide to SCH? I've cleared Omega with some ease, and I'm starting to do EX Primals. Although my fight mechanics are sound, my numbers aren't where they should be, I think.

Specifically, I'm thinking I need to consult some outside resources on how to better my game - specifically on learning to take manual control of Eos. It seems daunting, but I want to read up before I make further judgments.

Hey scholarchat, I'll :effort:post.

Eos control pretty much amounts to "Figure out where to have the drat fairy stay (Middle of the arena for Lakshmi EX, no issue just tagging along behind you for all other current content so far, including Susano), and keep on "Obey".

Keep in mind that because the fairy will still single target heal, you want to start hitting your AOEs right as the single target GCD is coming up. If you just click it once, your fairy will have a fairly vague idea of when it should do things. (Click once, and enjoy the Whispering Dawn going off after Ukehi has long passed, for instance).

Generally what works for me is knowing the fight and starting to yell at Eos to start doing things about 5 seconds before the ability will hit. Like, Ukehi has just started the cast bar, and I'm already spamming whispering dawn. Goes off a second early? Not a problem, we need that mitigation.

Whispering dawn: Raidwide AOE DOT heal. Meh. Use it, your AOE healing is really limited anyway.

Fey Covenant: Situationally useful extra mitigation.

Fey Illumination: Use in conjunction with whispering (and rouse) to pump out some disgusting healing numbers, or as an "oh poo poo" button when you need the fairy to heal tank harder.

It's been mentioned before, but SCH really shines when paired with an AST or WHM. DoubleSCH on susano EX for instance is an exercise in pain and frustration worse than double-AST cardgames.

Oh you want to know about DPS on SCH? Uhh... Chain Stratagem should be on cooldown pretty much always (again, know the fight and know when there's an effective time to pop it. Susano EX for in most groups for me is opener -> second sword -> as much as I can last phase. )

Otherwise, throw a dot here or there, weave in a broil/broil II as you feel more comfortable with the fight and when you know when the damage is coming. Try not to overheal. If you're healing Ex endgame content for the first time, DPS if you can, but don't make it a priority. This isn't a levelsynced Titan HM where you can just semi-afk. While an extra howevermany DPS from you is good, it's not as good as the 2-4k out of an actual live DPS and/or Tank. And if your DPS isn't pushing out numbers your numbers won't really matter in the long run.

If you're comfortable with content/your group, Eos stays at home, and a Sicced selene comes out. For the record I do this for Deltascape 1, 2, and 4.

None of this probably applies if you're an actual engame raider though. I just pug this poo poo.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minrad posted:

Fey Union/Aetherpact is so loving bad lol

v0v Hey look the main tank is no longer taking any damage while I can res the dumbass redmage who won't even feed me mana.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Minrad posted:

in practice it heals the tank once then they need to move for a gimmick and your fairy stands there doing nothing until you manually disable the ability

Gotta ~STRATEGIZE~ around when the tank is going to move or not, obviously. (No I agree, it's underpowered, but it has its uses).

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pretty much why SCH is the most difficult healer to play, but when you pull it off well, it's a rush.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Reiterpallasch posted:

dgkk 's been running one-shot clear groups including players that've never been in the instance before

DGKK has always been the stealth hardcore progression raiders though.

Also I've cleared Susano EX enough times and would be down to heal a goon group for it.

(Cross-server from Exodus)

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
With any group you sort of roll the dice.

Susano is a really really tight fight. And my biggest problem with it have been healers not pulling their weight oddly enough. And at this point I've seen more tanks loving up and no popping cooldowns/swapping than DPS loving up levinbolts.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SirPhoebos posted:

Starting to put together a SusanoEx group, check the discord if you're not in DGKK.

SusanoEx status: Dead. Cross-server crew rode in to the rescue.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Luceid posted:

everyone should run ACT and get into the reward loop of making your numbers, and your friends' numbers, grow big and strong. it's cool and good and god drat it please don't be the healer doing 50dps on susano PLEASE GOD

*outDPSes machinists in Susano as a SCH*

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ghost of Starman posted:

Thanks for this!

:kimchi:
This thread needs more pictures of people showing off their cool decked-out characters. (in my humble lowbie opinion)

How does a YoRhA read?

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

hobbesmaster posted:

To emphasize this I joined a farm party that required i310 earlier. The tank couldn't establish threat during the umbral ice phase of my opener and it wasn't until I hit lucid dreaming that a tank could establish a lead (through diversion! How?!). Then after we somehow make it through the swords 3 of the 4 lightning markers are put on the side we're on.

I wish I could say I was surprised.

I decided to go goddess killing the other day. Found a party, ilvl 310 minimum, neat, we might not need to vril all that much.

Join party.

Party for some reason starts a Susano.

gently caress. I just finished farming this bitch, I do not want any more jolly samurai in my life.

I'm not gonna just bitch out though, might as well heal these clowns for a run, maybe grab a weapon or something.

Orb tank decided to be in DPS stance for orbs, ate six of my lustrates and died. We get him up. Then the second tank is failing to pop any cooldowns.

We fail the DPS check.

"Farm parties", man.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Givin posted:

Reverse Goatse. That is intense.

Also my static group has outgrown the need of the random leveling guild we're currently in and wants to make their own FC. How tough are they to level for say 4 people with more than average playtimes. I know nothing about free companies.

the FC that I run has three people in it, and usually one-two people logged in, and we're at rank five already after ~3 weeks.

Turning in all of the gear for guild seals tends to powerlevel it suuper quick.

Here's a bunch of reddit numbers if you're a turbonerd: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1zdiqh/leveling_up_a_solo_fc_some_info_i_found_any/

OWLS! fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mango Polo posted:

Then again the WoL seems progressively more unhinged as time goes on. Are the Japanese texts just as odd, or is it like FATE names something the localisation team is having fun with?

Definitely the latter.