Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Gruckles posted:

Not Hildibrand, but that means you haven't done the sidequest that the next postmoogle quest is a follow up to.

It's probably that one in upper central shroud for the sadistic biologist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I still need to finish the old relic grind. Probably going to unsync some Hardflox for it next time I'm on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

you should have probably just casted protect, but i guess i do not derive satisfaction from being an rear end in a top hat to internet strangers and as such your ways are entirely alien to me

Part of why I joined the forums was our reputation for being annoying in MMOs.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

What if protect was a passive skill everyone grouped with a healer automatically got?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I stop pulling until the other party members pass on the loot so I can have at least 3000 seals at the end of the run. If they dare greed, I go AFK even if I win.

Good idea, I'll have to remember that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So, yes, you're being an rear end in a top hat to random people for no reason. Gotcha.

Fister Roboto posted:

People have bragged about doing far, far worse things ITT so it's pretty hilarious that not casting protect gets such scorn.

Tank the dragon in the center!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kashuno posted:

ff14 is not a competitive game and no one benefits from someone being a dick. That applies to everyone!

Yeah, it's not like goons ever do things just to annoy other players for no other reason than they can. :jerkbag:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swB-CbSZZdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt7H9HZ_gD8

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I was running my squadron through WP, and the tank just goes completely clownshoes on the last boss. I have to keep spamming disengage/engage otherwise my tank runs to one of the recent adds, then back to the boss, then to a different add that's been one-shot by me already, back to the tank, etc.

Still had to do the boss with just the healer from 40% down. Tank couldn't hold aggro on the boss, other dps took it and died, and the healer didn't cast protect or something so the tank died.

It does that. They really need to add more commands for the more complex fights. Even a focus target command would help. Altair is also brutal because the tank doesn't know how to address its mechanic either, but at least disengage works for that fight.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Dec 18, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't understand why goons being goons in MMOs merits multi-page derails about how the typical things goons do in MMOs is wrong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

These are shenanigans, not being assholes. Also I'm in the first video making it a cool and good thing to do.

Yeah, I guess it's more like when star trek online goons queue for that one borg mission and purposely fire repulsors at the probes into the gate to fail the optional objective.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ixal is great for supplementing crafting but it's still going to be a grind. HW's crafting beast tribe is way better.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

the Limsa Lominsa leader whose name is impossible for me to spell

Merlwyb :colbert:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Zenos at least understands we're in this for fun and was nice enough to give us an epic battle.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

WHM gets to solo bone zone for their level 60 quest.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

How the hell? Did they skip the level 40 BLM quest?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A nice hard frac.

Sloppy

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

DH is the #1 tank meld for all leftside gear right now for DPS purposes.

Rightside tanks use vit gear again once you get to stormblood endgame with a strength in the first slot and 4 overmelded DH if you're crafted. Any HW or older content you should use 270 slaying accessories with your tanks because strength is your mainstat.

I'm still kind of pissed off that they went back to ARR mainstats.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

Literally the only thing wrong with BRD now.

The main thing wrong with BRD is I can't actually use it having taken all the attacks off my hotbars in favor of musical notes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm glad there's no homeowners association in FFXIV.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The rare Shiba Inu pet from the gathering ventures is going to be worth a lot of money for a long time because of the doge meme, so that's one reason to do gathering.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Bardeh posted:

Also I just looked at a list of all the level 50 ARR quests I'm gonna need to do before I go into the expansions and holy shitballs there is a lot :stare:

Pray. Return.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

What do I get out of Hildibrand quests outside of that one trial? Done mostly ARR ones so far.

Emotes, minions, Hildibrand's outfit, cameos from classic franchise characters, comedy. Also Godbert remembers you during events he shows up in.

Think of it as a fun side story, that's what it is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

jalapeno_dude posted:

There's two trials, not one, and some emotes/minions/achievements/titles, but honestly if you don't enjoy them for their own sake they're probably not worth doing. Check out the Postmoogle and Scholasticate quests and see if they're more your style.

Three trials.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

pupuru posted:

who decided that requiescat should last 12s, and how do I send them a message

That's about the time it takes to drain your MP with non-stop casting of Clemency and Holy Spirit.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

dmboogie posted:

It also makes it more funny when people get confused about a renowned god-killer, say, running around delivering mail. :v:

I was promised a hat, what's so hard for them to understand?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope Volume 2 doesn't have that gross cover material, whatever that was.

orcane posted:

More button bloat, you mean.

I've got eight free slots on my PLD bar setup, I can make it work easy. It'll be nice having Convalescence back.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rainuwastaken posted:

"Look, I don't care how much money it takes, you get your best weavers on the job and you have them make a ton of great looking gear. The Warrior of Light just bought the last piece of Immortal Flames pants and those goofy pirates just put out a new line of fancy hats to lure him back in!"

Don't forget the fancy Maelstrom coat.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

If it's just lowbie stuff you can safely sell. No one's going to buy that.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

apostateCourier posted:

I'm desperately hoping that Blue Mage is a tank. Their whole gig is getting hit with stuff for more power.

Same. PLD has a couple spells and DRK uses MP but we don't have a dedicated magetank.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I want a chocobo knight tank job that wields lances one handed and can equip shields.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

Hitting level 20, pretty set on subbing. Some more new player questions for you guys, since you've been so accommodating about answering them so far:

What's up with Leves? Do you just do them all when you unlock an area with them, or save them for maybe levelling other jobs?

Other jobs. Do you roll alts when you want to make another class, or do you just unlock the job for your main and level it up?

Leves are repeatable. There's one in South Shroud called Adamantoise Tears that people use to powerlevel jobs through the lower 30s because the goal is to collect items, so it's faster than actually fighting them. Now that Grand Company squadrons are a thing I prefer to run the level 31 dungeon with my soldiers instead.

You get to do everything on one character. Fun fact, if you level Dragoon to 50 before you reach the first expansion the NPCs in its cutscenes will mention the events of the questline now and again.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ilberd is certainly a character.

I have this sudden urge to cook some sloppy joes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Next expansion they should just give us more passives for existing skills. DRG's Lance Mastery was a nice surprise.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Fake spoilers are best because anyone who reads them spends the whole story wondering if they're actually going to be real.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That's a symptom of a lot of jobs, unfortunately.

It would be fine if every job was left the same, and then had the next layer of mechanics added on top of it.

It would have been fine if they had all been streamlined from 1-70 as a single, coherent experience.

They did neither of these things, instead picking and choosing bits to rip out of each job, leaving some really huge gaps in places, and in other jobs, stretched what was left out to go from 1-60 to 1-70 instead.

RDM and SAM are, naturally, the best off, because they weren't subject to this modification and were built as level 70 jobs from day 1.

PLD got off easy. It actually gained an AoE that works in Pissvale and Shield Oath is at 30 now.

Their new energy system is half-baked though and only used in two skills, an old defensive move from HW that used to be on a short GCD and a new single target ally defender with barely any duration. Still, it could be worse.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Now here's a man who loves his countrymen.

:911: but with the Ala Mhigan flag's colors. Don't even have to change the eagle head.

Tenik posted:

The hardest part of tanking is dealing with pubbies that won't AOE in dungeons. Tank classes are all easy and straightforward, and you can bumble your way through most fights with knowing almost nothing about boss mechanics. Even at the higher end of raiding, DPS and healers are under more stress for perfect performance. The main issue with tanks is that every single mistake that you make is immediate and obvious to everyone else. As long as you have decent healers, you can recover from most mistakes without any serious issue, but everyone will know that you messed up.

With that said, tanking in ffxiv is a ton of fun, and if you are interested in it you should give it a shot.

I tried out tanking in my first dungeon because I'd just looted a tank piece from a levequest before I went there, it turned out to be the best decision I ever made.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jul 22, 2018

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

The short version of why Toto-rak sucks, or at least why I think it's the worst dungeon in the game: it is entirely too big for being that early, there are no interesting challenges in it (it doesn't even have midbosses), and the last quarter to third is full of stupid bullshit that arbitrarily slows you down like the webs and the slime.

If they got rid of the webs and slime, added some midbosses, and chopped off another third of the dungeon, I wouldn't resign myself to despair when I wind up in that shithole via duty roulette. The fact that it's low enough level that AOE options are limited does not help.

It has a midboss, the dullest midboss. Twice!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

panda clue posted:

as someone with a medium house and several dozen millions of gil: no gently caress you, always leave reduced rates on!!

Yeah, I'm burning through my stockpile of free tickets from the old Veteran Rewards because it takes too long to port to my apartment in Mist and catch the boat from Limsa to Kugane every time I want to go from the Ala Mhigo half of the content to the Othard half.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just make stacks of Ishgardian muffins since they're the easiest post-ARR food to gather ingredients for. Two low level grains that can be bought from vendors and milk my retainer harvests in bulk.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

pupuru posted:

my fc permanently has the mgp bonus on. figure that poo poo out

It's an extra thousand mgp on a 10k ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I wish the game had a Steam achivements page, I want to show off the fact that I've shown up to PvP often enough to get a few wins.